LA 2028 Ceremonies

I was thinking if the options were a ceremony with large choir at SoFi Stadium versus a ceremony without a large choir at the LA Coliseum, I'd have to go with the former, not the latter.

The atmosphere for an Olympics opening/closing will still fall flat at SoFi, no matter what. But the feature of hundreds of voices singing in unison can give a lift to or hero-ize any event.

Even a rap singer like the guy below, with back-up from a 500-voice choir, could be squeezed to fit into a Olympic ceremony.

As I watch this I think of how for things like aerial features, such as drones or fireworks, SoFi Stadium will be very weak.

I also think an opening ceremony should be held during the daytime, similar to the time frame used in 1984. That to me gives off a friendlier, happier vibe.

Sunshine suggests the start of something. Darkness suggests the ending of something.

As for pre-recorded segments of a ceremony? That sucks some of the life out of an event.

Last year, people in Tokyo's stadium (in this case, just about all athletes) had to watch celebrity singers on the building's widescreens.

Even if it weren't for Covid, I still wonder if these 4 people would have made the effort to actually appear in Tokyo?

Regardless, the segment to me would have remained less effective than the ending of 1984's opening was. Or where an unknown singer performed her piece in front of a large choir. That format provided ceremonial-sized sound to 1984.

Solo singers doing their number on video in particular, but even in person but totally alone, loses something in translation.

15 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

As I watch this I think of how for things like aerial features, such as drones or fireworks, SoFi Stadium will be very weak.

I also think an opening ceremony should be held during the daytime, similar to the time frame used in 1984. That to me gives off a friendlier, happier vibe.

Sunshine suggests the start of something. Darkness suggests the ending of something.

As for pre-recorded segments of a ceremony? That sucks some of the life out of an event.

Last year, people in Tokyo's stadium (in this case, just about all athletes) had to watch celebrity singers on the building's widescreens.

Even if it weren't for Covid, I still wonder if these 4 people would have made the effort to actually appear in Tokyo?

Regardless, the segment to me would have remained less effective than the ending of 1984's opening was. Or where an unknown singer performed her piece in front of a large choir. That format provided ceremonial-sized sound to 1984.

Solo singers doing their number on video in particular, but even in person but totally alone, loses something in translation.

You're forgetting a single, yet important point. Ceremonies aren't developed for people in the stands nowadays, they are developed towards TV watchers. Your beloved beijing 2022 opening ceremonies, used forced perspective in order for tv watchers to feel inmersed in the screens, or you didn't watch the athletes parade?

^ That makes me think of how at the start of the opening of 2012, the TV broadcast switched to a pre-recorded segment. Or a portion obviously catering to the viewers around the world, not the people actually in the stadium. At first, I assumed the program had started running a commercial. In a way it had.

That part of the ceremony showed the Thames River from the perspective of a helicopter. It was like a filmed bit from the UK/London Tourists and Convention Bureau.

Also, I've read people saying that broadcast announcers gab too much. That they feel a need to fill airtime with the sound of their own voice. Or they do too much yakkity-yak.

This must be the international feed that went out in 1984. No TV broadcaster can be heard. This is closer to what actual spectators in the Coliseum would have witnessed at the last games in LA.

Less yakkity-yak, less filtered TV coverage, is perfectly fine with me:

On 1/30/2022 at 11:40 PM, SportLightning said:

Lot of trailblazing hip-hop music artists will be that including: Dr. Dre, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar and Kendrick Lamar. It's going to be a good Super Bowl in Los Angeles with the music legends.

On 1/30/2022 at 10:31 PM, Scotguy II said:

Just a shame of the artists that are performing will be RAP galore :s 

All of them Grammy Winners and Kendrick Lamar the recipient of a Pullitzer.

On 2/3/2022 at 2:01 PM, Rob. said:

Too slow for NASCAR, but has America finally found a way of speeding up the parade of nations?

"Toyota’s simulations have promised a very slow average lap speed. Our rough simulation suggests that top [lap] speeds are around 44mph or something like that."

FKJAWxNWQAIEzyr?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I actually attended this event with my brother and his fiance. We were all completely new to NASCAR and we admittedly had our reservations. But let me tell you, this event was a rousing success!!!

For starters, the short track meant that you could see every corner from just about any seat in the stadium, something larger tracks cannot achieve. You miss a good part of the action when the track is so big. It also looked amazing against the backdrop of the peristyle with the cauldron lit. The flyover, fireworks, mini concert by Pitbull then Ice Cube.... The whole entire thing was just reeking of success. I don't see NASCAR returning to Daytona for their exhibition race. There's no way they walked away from this thinking it was a failure.

There's also of course the wild statistic that about 70% of those in attendance were first timers most of whom gave the event very positive reviews.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 6:38 PM, Olympics2028 said:

I don't know what the buzz is about SoFi Stadium after the Super Bowl.

Since the building is going to be used in the context of Olympic ceremonies in 2028, that's what takes the center of any conversation, at least what this thread is supposed to be for.

Archery in 2028, by contrast, has been proposed as being held outside of the stadium, possibly on a platform installed above the lake area. But who knows what actually eventually occurs?

When it comes to a variety of non-Olympics subjects, I've read postings in various forums where a lot of users slam something that I don't think is as bad as they make out to be. In turn, I've seen people give high marks to something I think is junk. I SMH, but so be it.

Again, everyone has an opinion. There's the saying: Opinions are like b---holes. Everyone has them and they all stink.

If people think my opinions stink to high heaven, fine. I don't mind that. But comments that don't go much beyond "you suck, stop it or you're banned!!!" are really uninteresting. They seem kind of lame for any message board where people who share an interest in a subject like to post.

Beyond this forum, I think the ceremonies of most Olympic games are like today's music. Most people don't say either yah or nay about them, but instead give a few seconds of their time and move on. They don't care. Or "ceremony on TV" doesn't interest them enough to have an opinion. Apparently a lot of newer music is developing that same kind of dynamic.

As for me, as much as I go on about this subject, I never watch most Olympic ceremonies or I view only a small portion of them. I think a lot of people are the same way. Or they don't care one way or the other.

Or they go, "feh" or "I have to post my selfie right now...not enough time to be bothered!"

My citing the 2012 games is because they were hosted by a big-time city. So they interested me more than other games have done.

However, I don't think the 2016 games were either better or worse than 2012 because the amount of money the 2016 OOC had to work with was less than what 2012 had.

Similarly, I don't think the 2012 games were either better or worse than 2008 because the amount of money the 2012 OOC had to work with was less than what the 2008 OOC had.

It will be interesting to see what they do with SoFi for the opening. The whole canopy/closed roof debacle is worth noting but not necessarily an end all. It actually creates an opportunity to try something new, especially with a giant oculus in the middle. The filed is so low that you could technically hold a drone show inside the stadium....but who knows if they will even be as popular in 2028 as they are now. It definitely gives me fad vibes and not sure they will still have the wow factor.

1 hour ago, JesseSaenz said:

I actually attended this event with my brother and his fiance. We were all completely new to NASCAR and we admittedly had our reservations. But let me tell you, this event was a rousing success!!!

For starters, the short track meant that you could see every corner from just about any seat in the stadium, something larger tracks cannot achieve. You miss a good part of the action when the track is so big. It also looked amazing against the backdrop of the peristyle with the cauldron lit. The flyover, fireworks, mini concert by Pitbull then Ice Cube.... The whole entire thing was just reeking of success. I don't see NASCAR returning to Daytona for their exhibition race. There's no way they walked away from this thinking it was a failure.

There's also of course the wild statistic that about 70% of those in attendance were first timers most of whom gave the event very positive reviews.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

It definitely gives me fad vibes and not sure they will still have the wow factor.

When it comes to "Olympics," SoFi Stadium probably will end up just as much a fad. Or it will lack a sense of appropriateness.

SoFi is great for watching NFL football or a concert. The oculus means visitors will feel right at home. Almost as though they're still at home watching the widescreen in their living room. 

Sofi's amenities for visitors make the LA Coliseum (which turns 100 years old next year) seem like poor man's land. But I have a strong suspicion that the stadium in Inglewood in 2028 will fall flat. 

15 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

If 2028 at least does a version of the Spice Girls this way, that segment can be made to sort of fit what should be the big sound of an Olympics ceremony.

spice-girls-stop.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

It's impressive how Olympic ceremonies (for instance, in London, no less) went from the following to the Spice Girls.

That's progress, baby.

LOL. Upward and onward.

Incidentally, that flagpole is too short and that Olympic flag is too large. Sheesh.

Was Sebastian Coe's great uncle or grandfather in charge of the 1948 games?

Olympics2028,  this is completely off-topic and has nothing to do with LA2028 Ceremonies.

6 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

It's impressive how Olympic ceremonies (for instance, in London, no less) went from the following to the Spice Girls.

That's progress, baby.

LOL. Upward and onward.

Incidentally, that flagpole is too short and that Olympic flag is too large. Sheesh.

118458484.jpg

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

118458484.jpg

Should I tell you that has nothing to do with the 2028 Olympics? Or are you saying you'd like this music performed at the opening/closing of 2028?

It could work. But just as long as the guy was performing it in front of a large choir.

Better yet, there could be a lot of flagpoles placed all around him. But the flagpole for the Olympic flag should stand alone.

I think the 2028 games themed to flagpoles might work. But since it will take place in SoFi Stadium, that might lose something in translation. Damn.

On 3/23/2022 at 12:16 PM, Olympics2028 said:

I was thinking if the options were a ceremony with large choir at SoFi Stadium versus a ceremony without a large choir at the LA Coliseum, I'd have to go with the former, not the latter.

The atmosphere for an Olympics opening/closing will still fall flat at SoFi, no matter what. But the feature of hundreds of voices singing in unison can give a lift to or hero-ize any event.

Even a rap singer like the guy below, with back-up from a 500-voice choir, could be squeezed to fit into a Olympic ceremony.

On 3/24/2022 at 3:59 AM, Olympics2028 said:

^ That makes me think of how at the start of the opening of 2012, the TV broadcast switched to a pre-recorded segment. Or a portion obviously catering to the viewers around the world, not the people actually in the stadium. At first, I assumed the program had started running a commercial. In a way it had.

That part of the ceremony showed the Thames River from the perspective of a helicopter. It was like a filmed bit from the UK/London Tourists and Convention Bureau.

Also, I've read people saying that broadcast announcers gab too much. That they feel a need to fill airtime with the sound of their own voice. Or they do too much yakkity-yak.

This must be the international feed that went out in 1984. No TV broadcaster can be heard. This is closer to what actual spectators in the Coliseum would have witnessed at the last games in LA.

Less yakkity-yak, less filtered TV coverage, is perfectly fine with me:

13 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

How dare you. So insulting.

BTW, when I watch this segment of 2012's ceremonies, I really want LA 2028 to emulate it:

12 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

If 2028 at least does a version of the Spice Girls this way, that segment can be made to sort of fit what should be the big sound of an Olympics ceremony.

But save the bucks on having cars decked out in lights being driven around the running track. Okay, 2028 OOC? Is that too much to ask?:

12 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

That's progress, baby.

LOL. Upward and onward.

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

When I shifted through postings from a few years ago in this thread, I didn't really know where that image was from. Now I do.

Surprise, surprise. LOL.

2028 OOC, can you do just the opposite of what the 2012 OOC did? I'd appreciate that. Thanks.

BTW, if you watch the first few seconds of this same video, you'll see how the producer of the 2012 games snubbed the 2 most recent summer games in the US (1984 and 1996). I didn't take too kindly to that.

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Should I tell you that has nothing to do with the 2028 Olympics? Or are you saying you'd like this music performed at the opening/closing of 2028?

It could work. But just as long as the guy was performing it in front of a large choir.

Better yet, there could be a lot of flagpoles placed all around him. But the flagpole for the Olympic flag should stand alone.

I think the 2028 games themed to flagpoles might work. But since it will take place in SoFi Stadium, that might lose something in translation. Damn.

The subject of Spain being just encouraged to go for hosting the winter games in 2032 instead of the summer one in 2036 made me think of Barcelona 1992. And, yep, how an outdoor stadium gives a different vibe to a ceremony. In particular to, yep, flags and flagpoles. lol.

Look how a segment like this doesn't work in an indoor building. Unless air blowers are embedded in an indoor stadium's flagpoles.

It also shows how even opera singers, in order to give them more of a ceremonial-type big sound, also need a back-up of a choir.

^ I noticed that right after the raising of the Olympic flag, a fashion runway show broke out. LOL. Sheesh.

Yea, when it comes to "Olympics," I immediately think of fashion designers and runway models.

When things like this occur - and no one says anything or goes "WTF?!," or, even worse, says, "That's good!" - I feel like I'm being gaslighted.

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

This is what an opening ceremony needs:

!) Held during the day (sunshine looks friendlier)

2) Outdoor stadium

3) Olympic flagpole stands alone

4) Pigeons released as Olympic tradition once again

5) Spyridon Samaras' theme tweaked and hero-ized

6) Large choir

But the flag carriers shouldn't wave like they're at a parade. The flag raisers also should show a bit more military-type finesse. However, they shouldn't be totalitarian-type Beijing robots.

lRRW8g0.jpg

6I8EZBA.jpg

uzVM23k.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sheesh, if a post like this doesn't fit the topic of this thread, I don't know what does:

2) Outdoor stadium

6) Large choir

Sometimes I'd swear this forum, supposedly dedicated to the subject of "Olympics," is for discussing, well, when I have to take my car in for a transmission overhaul or what my favorite movies/TV shows are.

Beyond that, maybe an expert on the format of Olympic ceremonies through the decades can describe how the raising of the Olympic flag, the flag of Greece and the flag of the host country has been handled at most summer/winter games.

In 1992, the Olympic flag is on one side of the field and three other flagpoles are located way on the other side of the stadium. I thought the 3 flagpoles are for medal awards ceremonies for specific track-field winners. Or they're not necessarily for an opening/closing.

Okay, if this is way too nerdy or geeky a matter even for this forum, I confess to being a nerd/geek regarding the topic of "Olympics." So sue me. Sheesh.

18 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Sheesh, if a post like this doesn't fit the topic of this thread, I don't know what does:

2) Outdoor stadium

6) Large choir

Sometimes I'd swear this forum, supposedly dedicated to the subject of "Olympics," is for discussing, well, when I have to take my car in for a transmission overhaul or what my favorite movies/TV shows are.

Beyond that, maybe an expert on the format of Olympic ceremonies through the decades can describe how the raising of the Olympic flag, the flag of Greece and the flag of the host country has been handled at most summer/winter games.

In 1992, the Olympic flag is on one side of the field and three other flagpoles are located way on the other side of the stadium. I thought the 3 flagpoles are for medal awards ceremonies for specific track-field winners. Or they're not necessarily for an opening/closing.

Okay, if this is way too nerdy or geeky a matter even for this forum, I confess to being a nerd/geek regarding the topic of "Olympics." So sue me. Sheesh.

Read the topic and stay on it.

It is 2028 Los Angeles Ceremonies

not your personal lazy space.

If my last post in particular doesn't fit the subject of this thread, I can start posting about whether NFL football is better than FIFA football is. 

Actually, since US football involves the foot contacting a ball way less than futbol does, the label "football" for the NFL (which is played at SoFi Stadium, the venue of 2028's opening/closing [regrettably]), American "football" isn't as accurate a name as European/Asian/South American, etc "football" is. 

17 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I confess to being a nerd/geek regarding the topic of "Olympics." So sue me. Sheesh.

...clearly not, judging by, well, literally everything you've claimed on this forum...

17 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

A ceremony doesn't NEED this, this is what you want

20 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

2) Outdoor stadium

6) Large choir

Anyways, because you like to interact with people with the things you say -

1. I think a sunset start / night ending is a better format for LA, compared to having it completely in daylight

• They will probably go with this route to accommodate East Coast viewers and maximize NBC viewership

2. I don't really mind what stadium gets used, both have their pros and cons, and I trust that whatever team LAOCOG creates for the ceremonies will do everything they can to maximize SoFi's pros

3. Flagpole placements don't really matter to me either

4. Will never happen following 1988 dove bbq, and definitely wont happen in 2028 due to SoFi's mostly enclosed nature. Plus, some of the symbolic dove release segments were better than if they had used real doves

5. You can't really "hero-ize" something that isn't standardized and always gets arranged and edited for each ceremony. You would have to force every creative team from every edition of the Games to use the exact same arrangement, and that's gonna get boring pretty quickly

6. Depends if it fits the segment and what the ceremony is trying to depict at that time (and overall)

• Thanks 1

Nobody has a problem with geekiness. We’d likely all describe ourselves as geeks or nerds when it comes to the Olympics. That’s not your problem, it’s your incredible obsessiveness with a very narrow span of topics, many incredibly trivial, and your compulsion to post on these narrow topics again and again in threads, no matter if they’re relevant to that thread or not.

You repeat the same points and opinions over and over again. You repeatedly post on topics out of all proportions to its relevance or interest. You flood numerous threads with the type of off-topic irrelevant posts that have already seen you suspended twice from this site and banned permanently from Skyscrapercity. You ignore any advice people give you and you play the innocent newby - “I haven’t followed the Olympics as long as you guys” (yet you act surprised to learn about things you were discussing 10 months ago already on Skyscrapercity); “There’s too many threads and topics” (well, don’t be lazy, look and discover. There’s gems scattered throughout this site and you may learn a few things or find other aspects to pique your interest); “But I thought it’s all meant to be the Olympics and they riff off each other” (it’s been explained before, this is a specialist, geek’s site and we focus on specialised geek topics).

Above hat, on social media in general, not just here, it’s considered rude to spam post and just keep repeating the same opinions over and over again.

I’ve tried to give you the benefit of the doubt and engage with you and guide you. But it seems to come down to you being one of three things:

* You’re young (but you and your attitudes sound old);

* You’re clueless (but you can, if you want, post intelligently and articulately); or

* You’re trolling or choosing to ignore advice/common courteousy deliberately for whatever reason or pleasure  you get out of it.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Thanks 2