LA 2028 Ceremonies

8 hours ago, munichfan said:

You mean that two-minute pre-recorded drumming sequence? I guess one could say Buckingham Palace co-hosted the London OC, then.

Why not? :blink:  The ancient Olympic Games started there.  Had it been done before? 

Nope on Buckingham Palace.  It was just a starting point so that they could set up the "parachute" stunt and set the entrance for the Queen.  The stadium at Olympic has real meaning & connection to the event being celebrated.  Plus the shot put and discus events were actually conducted at Olympia, too.  So as far as the events of 2004, it was a LEGITIMATE athletic venue -- not just a ceremonial springboard.  

Buckingham Palace could;ve been the White House, the Kremlin, the Elysee, etc.  There is NO spiritiual connection between B-Palace and the Olympic Games.  

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Why not? :blink:  The ancient Olympic Games started there.  Had it been done before? 

Nope on Buckingham Palace.  It was just a starting point so that they could set up the "parachute" stunt and set the entrance for the Queen.  The stadium at Olympic has real meaning & connection to the event being celebrated.  Plus the shot put and discus events were actually conducted at Olympia, too.  So as far as the events of 2004, it was a LEGITIMATE athletic venue -- not just a ceremonial springboard.  

Buckingham Palace could;ve been the White House, the Kremlin, the Elysee, etc.  There is NO spiritiual connection between B-Palace and the Olympic Games.  

The question is about wether the stadium at Olympia does count as a venue for the 2004 opening ceremony. For me an opening ceremony venue does need as a bare minimum

A ) live broadcast from that certain place during admission,

B ) some sort of stuff happening, whether it be show elements or protocol or both, and last but not least

C ) spectators.

That drumming sequence in 2004 failed to meet conditions A and C.

Buckingham palace might even be more of an opening ceremony venue as it had spectators in that footage, namely two adorable Corgis.

20 hours ago, munichfan said:

You mean that two-minute pre-recorded drumming sequence? I guess one could say Buckingham Palace co-hosted the London OC, then.

You know what i mean like another historic opening ceremony in more than one venue.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Anthony said:

The Halftime Show will give us a good glimpse at what the LA28 ceremonies can look like from pyro and lighting perspective! Exciting stuff!

Just a shame of the artists that are performing will be RAP galore :s 

1 hour ago, Scotguy II said:

Lot of trailblazing hip-hop music artists will be that including: Dr. Dre, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar and Kendrick Lamar. It's going to be a good Super Bowl in Los Angeles with the music legends.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Scotguy II said:

I too am not a fan of rap. Pop and EDM would be my preference. But, from a production perspective, I think we'll get a good idea what SoFi can do!

5 hours ago, FYI said:

Sure, we'll get to see the new stadium in high-event action, but still. The only saving grace will be Mary J. (which I really wouldn't consider 'rap' anyway). 

We'll see about that after the Super Bowl LVI in Los Angeles in 12 days.

^An aspect like the half-time show of the superbowl is a subjective topic. So there's no "we'll see about that", since the people who like that type of genre (like it seems you do) will think that it's the greatest thing they've ever seen. While others with more of a selective palate, will think otherwise.

Too slow for NASCAR, but has America finally found a way of speeding up the parade of nations?

"Toyota’s simulations have promised a very slow average lap speed. Our rough simulation suggests that top [lap] speeds are around 44mph or something like that."

FKJAWxNWQAIEzyr?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Edited by Rob.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, munichfan said:

That loop looks like a freeway. Why not recreate the average I-405 congestion for the opening? :lol:

I've seen NASCAR done a lot of opening season at Daytona with the clash. This is different from that. It's the first time this iconic venues will host  a NASCAR race. This will be a short track NASCAR cup race at the coliseum.

• Like 1

Jeez, safe to go back into the water again?

Since NASCAR is mentioned above, I think of a forum where the topic is cars, but a person wanting to post about classic Chevys or Ferraris, problems with today's Hondas, Mercedes styles from 1992, old transmissions and new carburetors are considered OT. Or a conversation to be avoided. 

I like shooting the breeze about "Olympics," the "2028 Olympics" in particular. So people resenting posts about that in this forum has been odd to me.

BTW, I was posting Youtube videos several weeks ago as sort of a Power Point feature. It was to help illustrate what I was talking about or what my opinion was based on. It wasn't posting vids for the sake of posting vids.

I also posted the first new comment in this thread after it had been sitting dormant since 2019. So it wasn't like I was getting in the middle of active conversations. 

On 1/31/2022 at 8:26 PM, Anthony said:

I too am not a fan of rap. Pop and EDM would be my preference. But, from a production perspective, I think we'll get a good idea what SoFi can do!

In the other thread on 2028, I was focusing on the way that the use of a large choir can make ANY music format work.

https://youtu.be/rmAXSVtMdbI?t=116

However, yea, rap will still be a stretch. But if a presentation of even that type of music is appropriately arranged, it can be made to somewhat fit an Olympics ceremony. Or a games that's trying to come off a bit more "big leagues" and heroic-ized. 

When it comes to a lot of new music, some of which probably will be used at upcoming Olympic openings and closings, including the ones in 2028, I kind of understand this. This same dynamic also somewhat increasingly applies to recent Olympic games and the IOC in today's world:

https://tedgioia.substack.com/p/is-old-music-killing-new-music

I recall reading a review of an Olympic summer games (or it was a book about the games in general) over 15 years ago and the reporter or writer mentioned they had lot some "charm."

Whether it's things like music or certain major public events, that's becoming an understatement.

On 1/7/2022 at 9:58 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

I recall watching the beginning of the 2012 games and at first thought the broadcast had switched over to a TV commercial. I don't care for pre-taped segments inserted into a live event, which happened in a major part of the beginning of 2016 too.

That makes spectators in a stadium even more like people sitting at home having to watch their widescreen monitor.

As for SoFi Stadium, it probably will be a less effective location for a ceremony. It has a roof that blocks things like fireworks and drone displays. Also, details like flags displayed in indoor stadiums have a less lively look. They're displayed hanging down, like sheets and socks pinned to a clothes line.

Spectators, however, are spared getting sunburn. So there's that. But I bet the fancier SoFi will do for 2028 what Tokyo's new stadium (versus the classic outdoor-1964 one) did to 2020/2021.  

"Which I watch every year and never ever understand..."

I'm guessing his reference to "opening ceremonies" are the ones held once either every 4 years (either winter or summer) or every 2 years (winter and summer).

This observer is being tongue-in-cheek and using sarcasm layered with humor. But producers of Olympic ceremonies for years have been doing odd, wacky things.

This shows the difference in the details.

The medal ceremony in 1984 used that game's official theme score. The announcer also says "accompanied by..."

In 2012, the ceremony used a karokyed-type version of the theme from "Chariots of Fire." The announcers also said, "Flowers will be presented by...."  (lol, plus something about using "Mrs" and "Nellie" sounded goofy.)

Flowers are not a medal and they're not being awarded. So they shouldn't have been mentioned.

"Accompanied by..." is really the correct format.

I noticed that 2012 also had certain stadium announcers whose tone was a bit too, "hey, dude, how 'ya doing?!"