LA 2028 Ceremonies

4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Uhmmm . . . proof?  I don't think so.  You wish . . . but what does RuPaul have to do with a giant sports festival in LA? :blink:  Nothing.  The Olympics isn't the right venue for this person.  

California native, currently addressed in L.A., films her show in the area. It’s a handover ceremony. What’s a bus got to do with a giant sport festival in London or a sweep cleaner in rio or super Mario in Tokyo (he’s Italian btw). The handover or for that matter the opening and closing ceremonies have anything to do with sports? Nothing. It a two and half hour showcase of culture both high and low brow. 

Also,

spacer.png

6 hours ago, illustrado said:

California native, currently addressed in L.A., films her show in the area. It’s a handover ceremony. What’s a bus got to do with a giant sport festival in London or a sweep cleaner in rio or super Mario in Tokyo (he’s Italian btw). The handover or for that matter the opening and closing ceremonies have anything to do with sports? Nothing. It a two and half hour showcase of culture both high and low brow. 

California native -- well, so are what?  Let's say . . .  25 million others.  

Double-decker bus?  I guess you haven't been to London.  It's an iconic symbol of London . . . and, uhmm, was used a bit in 2012's CLosing Ceremony. 

Super Mario - a beloved "e-game character" which featured in Tokyo's "high-tech" slant of their presentations.  I don't think you would've seen the prime minister of Japan prancing around as Miss Kitty or Pickachu, would you?  :blink:

Nah, you obviously just want to push a "gay" agenda onto the Handover.  Let's see if LA28 (or the IOC) would go for it.  

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't think you would've seen the prime minister of Japan prancing around as Miss Kitty or Pickachu, would you?  :blink:

lol! I absolutely could’ve imagined Pikachu or Hello Kitty (or Yoshi for that matter) appear in that handover! It was that type of vibe (pity they didn’t stick with it for the actual OC).

But as for LA’s handover, I guess it depends on how fun, and inclusive and out there the organisers want to go. We already know there’ll be some corny Tom Cruise action set up. But I agree I doubt they’ll want to rile up the MAGA crowd by sticking a drag queen (sorry, the Queen of drag) in their faces in an election year.

10 hours ago, illustrado said:

The handover or for that matter the opening and closing ceremonies have anything to do with sports? Nothing. 

You do realize that you’re talking to someone that thinks everything that happens in-between the Opening & Closing ceremonies is not but “filler”, right?! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Bear said:

it seems that NBC will re-air the handover presentation itself (or something related to it) separately at 10 PM PDT: https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule (just keep scrolling until you reach 8/11)

either 10 PM PDT or 7 PM PDT, the schedule page I linked has 10 PM PDT but another page says 7 PM PDT

1 hour ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Drag queens?

Sydney 2000 Closing Ceremony has entered the chat. 

Precisely.  Been there; done that.  I mean, Dame Edna's passed on, right?  And that was at Closing -- on the way out.  Besides, there are the GAY GAMES.  That's where RuPaul and company would be more relevant.  And surely the Gay Games wouldn't want Heteros pushing their agenda at "their" Games, would they?  :blink:  There is a time and place for everything.  

On 6/23/2024 at 7:23 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Precisely.  Been there; done that.  I mean, Dame Edna's passed on, right?  And that was at Closing -- on the way out.  Besides, there are the GAY GAMES.  That's where RuPaul and company would be more relevant.  And surely the Gay Games wouldn't want Heteros pushing their agenda at "their" Games, would they?  :blink:  There is a time and place for everything.  

If anyone caught the Kendrick Lamar concert in LA a few days ago for Juneteenth. My god. It was electric.

They cannot hold a proper opening/closing in LA without a serious dose of Hip Hop/Rap being a major component. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

If anyone caught the Kendrick Lamar concert in LA a few days ago for Juneteenth. My god. It was electric.

They cannot hold a proper opening/closing in LA without a serious dose of Hip Hop/Rap being a major component. 

Hip-hop/rap is ALL CRAP to me.  I'll probably tune out if that happens in 4 years.  

15 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

On another topic, my review of the BOYS IN THE BOAT film, came out in the latest issue of the Int'l Society of Olympic Historians Journal. 

Is it any good? The reviews didn’t seem promising.

8 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Hip-hop/rap is ALL CRAP to me.  I'll probably tune out if that happens in 4 years.  

I don't see how LA can ignore what is today one of the major elements of American culture, at least internationally (if not the major element)

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Is it any good? The reviews didn’t seem promising.

It was quite predictable.  I thought a little better than the book.  I guess I could reproduce the review here based on my Word copy.  Maybe I should put it in the General Olympics section -- but in a day or two.  

8 hours ago, sebastien1214 said:

I don't see how LA can ignore what is today one of the major elements of American culture, at least internationally (if not the major element)

Well, that's the street culture.  Not everybody goes for those things.  You still have halls being filled for classical music, etc.  It's just ONE facet of contemporary US culture -- a quite repulsive facet to me to be perfectly frank.  Not my thing -- and I have my remote control to quickly shut the TV off or change the channel should such garbage appear on my screen! It doesn't elevate me or my soul one bit.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2023 at 7:43 PM, Bear said:

i hope they ask the governor to open the games instead

well looks like there's now a (remote) chance that our current governor will be the one opening the games! 😅

Hey guys, I haven't posted on here in years, and I don't feel like going through this very long thread... so sorry if this has already been discussed.  

But anyway, if the dual opening ceremony/closing ceremony does indeed happen for Los Angeles 2028, should the cauldron at SoFI Stadium be an exact copy of the Coliseum cauldron?  There's just something really classic I find about the Coliseum cauldron.  It's bowl-shaped, and even echoes the ancient Greek tripod bowl cauldron (in a stylized, Art Deco kind of way), of which the Berlin cauldron was modeled on.

I was at Exposition Park yesterday and took these pictures of it... what do you guys think, if there's going to be dual ceremonies for the opening and closing?  Should the SoFi Stadium cauldron echo the Coliseum cauldron, or should it be some kind of radically different design, to suit the radically different design that SoFi Stadium is?  

53835390204_19b4737ac3_h.jpg

53835391029_111b3f48dd_h.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi ejay.  Welcome back.  No, I don't see any reason for them to duplicate that cauldron out at SoFi.  If anything, it will probably be just a small one to be lit indoors just for the OC evening.  I think the IOC and, hopefully, LA28, are well aware of fuel fossils waste, global warming, etc.,etc.  I mean, the friggin' cauldron/ whole Torch relay schmear is just a ceremonial thing and NOT a NECESSARY part of staging a successful Games.  So, no, it would be folly to have more than one main cauldron.  

I'd say even the Torch run for 2028 will be severely curtailed.  If it were up to me, I'd just run it in the top 12 metropolitan areas of the US (so, includes LA and Atlanta) -- and only 2 hours at night.  

Hi baron!  

I guess you're right.  I can see them using a much smaller cauldron on the field at SoFi; I was imagining a cauldron above the stands on the artificial lake side:

VC_SoFi-Stadium_gty-1228277891-RM-1280x6

But the canopy would get in the way, and would probably get all burned.  Plus, the giant halo LED screen would get in the way too, I think, for many people to see it anyway:

RossVideo_SoFi_Staduim-13_reduced-1.jpg

So a cauldron on the field makes sense.

SoFi stadium is indeed impressive in person, though I haven't been inside it.  I saw a concert at the attached Youtube Theater a few years ago.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ejaycat said:

Hey guys, I haven't posted on here in years, and I don't feel like going through this very long thread... so sorry if this has already been discussed.  

But anyway, if the dual opening ceremony/closing ceremony does indeed happen for Los Angeles 2028, should the cauldron at SoFI Stadium be an exact copy of the Coliseum cauldron?  There's just something really classic I find about the Coliseum cauldron.  It's bowl-shaped, and even echoes the ancient Greek tripod bowl cauldron (in a stylized, Art Deco kind of way), of which the Berlin cauldron was modeled on.

I was at Exposition Park yesterday and took these pictures of it... what do you guys think, if there's going to be dual ceremonies for the opening and closing?  Should the SoFi Stadium cauldron echo the Coliseum cauldron, or should it be some kind of radically different design, to suit the radically different design that SoFi Stadium is?  

all the comments that Wasserman has made regarding the SoFi portion of the opening ceremony suggests that the cauldron will be different from LA Memorial's cauldron and that it'll probably be a proper cauldron design rather than a placeholder. I might be wrong though, there's still enough time to decide otherwise