LA 2028 Ceremonies

34 minutes ago, Australian Kiwi said:

Given the overwhelming choice the USOC has - perhaps group lighting a la Salt Lake 2002. Pick 10 or so - one representing each Olympiad between 1984 and 2024 - to light the cauldron.

Great idea.  

Two stadiums, two Cauldrons, a team of lighters at each location.

8 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Great idea.  

Two stadiums, two Cauldrons, a team of lighters at each location.

Meh, seems like that would be too much.  Part of the rationale behind the whole 1980 team lighting the flame in Salt Lake was in party because of feelings of unity and patriotism in the wake of 9/11.  I don't think they need to do something like that here and have multiple people as the cauldron lighters at both locations.  Or else it'll get lost in translation really easily as to who is there and to identify them all for a worldwide audience.

7 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Meh, seems like that would be too much.  Part of the rationale behind the whole 1980 team lighting the flame in Salt Lake was in party because of feelings of unity and patriotism in the wake of 9/11.  I don't think they need to do something like that here and have multiple people as the cauldron lighters at both locations.  Or else it'll get lost in translation really easily as to who is there and to identify them all for a worldwide audience.

Not at all.

A team of lighters was also used at London 2012 ten years later.  SLC 2002 did it their way.  But the SLC 2002 way was not, is not,  the only way to stage a Cauldron lighting with a team of lighters.

Split-screen technology, a list of names can and their accomplishments can easily be read out in alternating sequence at both Stadiums as the torch is pased between runner/lighters at both stadiums, with all the stadium runners gathering together at each Cauldron in each Stadium.

Olympic Opening Ceremonies are usually known for doing something unique.

Look at what Paris 2024 are doing, an Opening Ceremony along 6kms of a river.

LA 2028’s Opening Ceremony 4 years later across two Stadiums and with two Cauldrons will also be unique.

Choreographing two teams of cauldron runner/lighters at toward two Cauldrons at two Stadiums can be done, especially in the city of Hollywood technical wizardry and in the country who sent a man to the moon.

46 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Not at all.

A team of lighters was also used at London 2012 ten years later.  SLC 2002 did it their way.  But the SLC 2002 way was not, is not,  the only way to stage a Cauldron lighting with a team of lighters.

Split-screen technology, a list of names can and their accomplishments can easily be read out in alternating sequence at both Stadiums as the torch is pased between runner/lighters at both stadiums, with all the stadium runners gathering together at each Cauldron in each Stadium.

A team of somewhat randomly selected teenagers was used in 2012.  That was their prerogative.  And there were 4 cauldron lighters in Vancouver.  Those, needless to say, were much more familiar faces.

I'm not doubting the technology involved here.  Or the ingenuity of those involved in the planning.  With Salt Lake, they had a long parade of former Olympians in the lead up to the cauldron lighting.  I think something similar could happen here.  I just don't see some mass gathering at the very end just to have more people involved.  Not because it isn't possible.  I just don't see them going that route.

58 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Olympic Opening Ceremonies are usually known for doing something unique.

Look at what Paris 2024 are doing, an Opening Ceremony along 6kms of a river.

LA 2028’s Opening Ceremony 4 years later across two Stadiums and with two Cauldrons will also be unique.

Choreographing two teams of cauldron runner/lighters at toward two Cauldrons at two Stadiums can be done, especially in the city of Hollywood technical wizardry and in the country who sent a man to the moon.

Having 2 stadiums isn't unique enough?  2 full teams of cauldron lighters is overkill.  If there's so many individuals, the significance of it all will get lost in the shuffle.  Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should or will be done

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

A team of somewhat randomly selected teenagers was used in 2012.  That was their prerogative.  And there were 4 cauldron lighters in Vancouver.  Those, needless to say, were much more familiar faces.

I'm not doubting the technology involved here.  Or the ingenuity of those involved in the planning.  With Salt Lake, they had a long parade of former Olympians in the lead up to the cauldron lighting.  I think something similar could happen here.  I just don't see some mass gathering at the very end just to have more people involved.  Not because it isn't possible.  I just don't see them going that route.

Having 2 stadiums isn't unique enough?  2 full teams of cauldron lighters is overkill.  If there's so many individuals, the significance of it all will get lost in the shuffle.  Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should or will be done

No, two Stadiums is not unique enough,

But what we know is that 2 Stadiums will be involved.

So we’re speculating and throwing around ideas here of how they might use two Stadia and two Cauldrons, under an overarching backdrop of numerous high profile USA Olympians from which single or teams of Cauldron lighters can be chosen

7 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

No, two Stadiums is not unique enough,

But what we know is that 2 Stadiums will be involved.

So we’re speculating and throwing around ideas here of how they might use two Stadia and two Cauldrons, under an overarching backdrop of numerous high profile USA Olympians from which single or teams of Cauldron lighters can be chosen

I'm all for speculation, but I'm also going to point out when an idea is not really thought all the way through.  For the first time ever, there will be 2 stadiums involved for the ceremonies.  So it's not enough that people will be paying attention to 2 distinct venues that we now need to have a whole gaggle of cauldron lighters in both stadiums?  That's overkill IMO and not how I see it playing out on July 14th, 2028.  Not in Los Angeles, home of Hollywood and land of celebrities and theatrics.

Now if we're talking about a parade of athletes in the stadium(s) leading up to the final cauldron lighter, that I could definitely see happening.  Have athletes from 1984 bring the flame into the stadium (Joan Benoit is perfect for the Coliseum, maybe have Michael Jordan do it at SoFi since the `84 team won their gold down the street at the forum), hand off to 1988 Olympians, and so forth until they get to the cauldron lighters.  That's how you get a large number of athletes in the spotlight.  Let the scene play out so people can take who each individual is.  Don't clump them all together at the end because they feel the need to have a dozen people involved in the flame lighting. 

What they did in Salt Lake was very much take a "team" that didn't need individual recognition.  That worked given the time and place.  I don't see that happening here.  Pick 2 individuals and have them be that final dramatic moment, which is going to be hard enough to coordinate between 2 venues.  Have as much people as you want in the lead up to that to be more inclusive.  Don't ruin the moment though by saying that each of them has to be involved in the cauldron lighting.  That would be a tough sell in one stadium.  It's nonsensical to do it in 2 and will be really difficult to follow

Muhammad Ali’s Iconic Olympic Torch Lighting Moment Almost Never Happened

baron.. not sure how much of all this you're familiar with, but definitely some good background in there from Dick Ebersol how the cauldron lighting plan came to be in Atlanta.  At least now you know who to blame for that decision since clearly he was the one who pushed for it and was insistent to make it happen

Because Ebersol was the big boss at NBC's Olympic ops, I knew he was the linchpin in choosing Ali and over-ruling Billy Payne as he also did in picking the 1980 Miracle on Ice team over Eric Heiden, the other less recognized star from the Lake Placid 1980 Games who single-handedly won ALL 5 speed-skating Categories in ONE Games -- a feat which had NEVER been achieved by anyone else then, before or after.  Stupid Ebersol & Mischer & Romney -- for 2002, asked Heiden if he wanted to skase with Bonnie Blair in passing the torch around on the ice rink.  Heiden said he wanted the singular honor to light the cauldron -- for reasons I just outlined.  And it was an all or nothing choice for him.  But dumb Ebersol ended up with that MESSY, oh-so-amateurish lighting with a whole bevy of bodies up there. 

The spot they had intended for Heiden went instead to the lesser skating star, Dan Jansen (was that his name?) just a 2-gold medalist vs. 5-gold-medallist Heiden.  (All this is told in my book -- including the untold logistical consequences in picking Ali over Evander Holyfield and how it all played or did NOT play with that oil-derrick-type structure which supported the McDonald's Fries container-cauldron.)  Just BOTCHED lighting moments in American Olympic Games which history cannot undo!! 

I didn't know that Holyfield was Billy Payne's choice, but Holyfield was a weak choice being only a bronze-medalist at LA.  But Holyfield seems to have "longer legs" than Ali since Holyfield is earning dividends on his dumb Xfinity commercial.  They should really eliminate Boxing ASAP from the Olympic programme!! 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

SoFi Stadium

Location of the main components of the LA 2028 Opening Ceremony dual-stadium concept at LA2028.

Andrew Parsons, President of the International Paralympic Committee, pictured here at ground level in SoFi Stadium this week during the visit by the IOC Coordination Commission.

Credit: twitter @parsonsandrew

pIs0rjR.jpg

The "dual-stadium" OC approach is NOT planned for the Paralympics.  Only the regular Opening (the main show) will be at SoFi.  So I don't know what Andrew Parsons is so excited about.  

Also, it's really going to be a 1.5 stadium show.  LA Memorial will only be used for the Lighting moment -- otherwise they will just have big screens there showing the main show at SoFi.  They are NOT going to try and fill the Coliseum that night because that would just be another major undertaking when all the resources are focused on SoFi.   I bet they will just have City employees and school children invited to fill the Peristyle part of LA Memorial --for which only come the Lighting moment, will it be electronically integrated/fused into the main feed coming from SoFi. Oh, I think they might have a few bands play at Memorial early in the evening to entertain the crowd, but once the main show starts at SoFi, the giant TV screens will do the work.  It's NOT going to be two FULL shows going on at the same time.  It's just not practical.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

7 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The "dual-stadium" OC approach is NOT planned for the Paralympics.  Only the regular Opening (the main show) will be at SoFi.  So I don't know what Andrew Parsons is so excited about.  

Also, it's really going to be a 1.5 stadium show.  LA Memorial will only be used for the Lighting moment -- otherwise they will just have big screens there showing the main show at SoFi.  They are NOT going to try and fill the Coliseum that night because that would just be another major undertaking when all the resources are focused on SoFi.   I bet they will just have City employees and school children invited to fill the Peristyle part of LA Memorial --for which only come the Lighting moment, will it be integrated into the main feed coming from SoFi. Oh, I think they might have a few bands play at Memorial early in the evening to entertain the crowd, but once the main show starts at SoFi, the giant TV screens will do the work.  It's NOT going to be two FULL shows going on at the same time.  It's just not practical.  

He's excited about SoFi.  He didn't say anything about the Coliseum.  Only AustralianFan is making that note in his post.  It's not in the original tweet

I think the 2028 games will be greatly influenced (regrettably) by the 2012 games, the last time "Hollywood" hosted the event. I just watched the ceremonial etiquette that the 2012 host city is famous for, where things are seriously choreographed. Tradition isn't big on BS or foo-foo. You can tell the grandchildren of the person who's being mourned are well rehearsed. They walk to the catafalque with pretty good precision.

However, I read their grandmother did get a kick out of when things went wrong (Hello, 2012!). Also, she did like the idea of parachuting into the stadium. With James Bond, no less.

The 2028 games possibly can have LA's mayor or the US president parachute into the stadium? Oh, wait. SoFi comes with a roof. Dump that idea. Revert to plan B.

Maybe do another jet-pack man from 1984? Even with a person being under a ceiling, that still can be repeated. Then a good time will be had by all.

The 2028 OOC, however, could consider something way more ambitious. How about doing the opening along the side of the LA River?

Nope.  I just got word . . .  that giant jumbotron ring will rise almost to the ceiling . . . then push that wicket-shaped roof to levitate 10 meters in mid-air.  That allows a whole crew of 2,028 drones to then enter the stadium space, do their thing -- all the while the triangular roof hovers in mid-air and then the drones just fly away!  

The roof settles back in place!!  

The stunt will be called "Raise the Rafters!!"  There, you heard it first from me.  Take that, Dmitri Papaioannou, Zhang Yimou and Tony Estanguet!! 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Speaking about flying things for the LA2028 Opening Ceremony, this shows how Jetpacks have progressed since 1984.

Small engines or thrusters mounted on each arm, as shown in this demonstration.  There may be more engines in the backpack itself by the looks of it (?)

4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Nope.  I just got word . . .  that giant jumbotron ring will rise almost to the ceiling . . . then push that wicket-shaped roof to levitate 10 meters in mid-air.  That allows a whole crew of 2,028 drones to enter the stadium space, do their thing -- all the while the triangular roof hovers in mid-air and then the drones just fly away!  

The roof settles back in place!!  

There, you heard first from me.  Take that, Dmitri Papaioannou, Zhang Yimou and Tony Estanguet!! 

The roof is more an umbrella than a full enclosure.  There are some openings, so if they really wanted to do something with drones, they might be able to without anything totally crazy being done to the structure

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

The roof is more an umbrella than a full enclosure.  There are some openings, so if they really wanted to do something with drones, they might be able to without anything totally crazy being done to the structure

I know that.  But that's too easy and practical.  No WOW effect.  ;)

3 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Speaking about flying things for the LA2028 Opening Ceremony, this shows how Jetpacks have progressed since 1984.

Small engines or thrusters mounted on each arm, as shown in this demonstration.  There may be more engines in the backpack itself by the looks of it (?)

OK, LA28 will need to order 75 of those for the Volunteers who will peel and hold up that whole roof structure mid-air while the drones fly in!!  What's the gas supply and flying time of those?  The stunt will last about 15 minutes.  

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

OK, LA28 will need to order 75 of those for the Volunteers who will peel and hold up that whole roof structure mid-air while the drones fly in!!  What's the gas supply and flying time of those?  The stunt will last about 15 minutes.  

Huh? Don’t touch the roof.

The jet packs or the drone bikes can be launched from stadium floor level either in SoFi Stadium or LA Memorial Stadium.

9 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I know that.  But that's too easy and practical.  No WOW effect.  ;)

There's also a giant ring of a video board floating above the field. I'm sure they'll figure something out that wows even you (and maybe even olympics2028 as well.. assuming he watches the whole thing and doesn't just give us a PowerPoint on how much he disliked it after the fact) 

The stunt will be called RAISE THE RAFTERS!!

But it still hasn't been decided whether they have the flags of the nearly 200 NOCs flying on the roof (too much weight for the Volunteers holding up the structure for 15 minutes?) . . . or just flashing the est. 200 flags on the ceiling while the "2028 Drone Symphony" is happening in the mid-air space of SoFi!!  
B)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Continuing, Part II of The 2028 Drone Symphony 

So, after the 2,028 drones have performed their act at SoFi, they will fly out, rest and recharge.  Then the whole swarm will fly over that stretch of LA -- from Inglewood to the USC-Coliseum area--before it gets too dark. 

When they get there, the drones will then perform a high-tech salute to the 84 Grand Pianos/"Rhapsody in Blue" moment of 1984 -- except in 3-D and in mid-air! 

Then the show proceeds to the Cauldron-Lighting moment! 

Of course, after the ceremony, the 2,028 drones will be sold in a public auction!! 

How's that scenario so far, huh?  Very plausible, huh!! 

See the source image

Edited by baron-pierreIV