LA 2028 Ceremonies

1 hour ago, Bear said:

as someone from LA i hope they go all out with the city's history and culture... there's so much that LA84 did not show, and we finally have an opportunity to show it in an amazing manner.

This should be our ceremony, showing our culture, and inviting those from abroad to experience an authentic LA and California. After all, these are the Los Angeles 2028 Games.

If people really want an international show with no regard to the host culture, then they can go to EPCOT instead.

They're LA's Olympics.  They're paying for them.  Darn straight it should be their showcase.  Thankfully, there's only 1 person who seems to think otherwise and no one is going to listen to him

• Like 1

FLASH!  LA28 rehearses its Closing Ceremony surprise in Australia in response to Brisbane 32's query: how will you do your Closing and how can we set up our Handover portion?  Exclusive, secret rehearsal footage caught on camera!  B)

TikToker Breaks Down the Story of Betty and Barney Hill, The 1961 Couple Who Came In Contact With Aliens

Australian Man Films Strange "Wheels Within Wheels" In the Sky (msn.com)

1 hour ago, FYI said:

If any UFO’s were in the 1984 ceremonies, 

Not IF.  There was one at the 1984 CLosing with its own Alien no less -- which is why I quoted that one in Australia, host of the 2032 Games. 

See the source image

This is a good idea for a sequel for the 2028 Closing.  It's so funny.  People take their NDAs with COJOs so seriously that the DIsney designer, Bob Gurr, who designed this, has never publicly acknowledged that he designed it, even today some 38 years after the fact -- even though producer David Wolper already outted Gurr in Wolper's own bio.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well then, like I said, they must’ve been inspired by these from the alien mini-series around the same time! spacer.pngspacer.png

Cause they sure look an awfully lot alike from those pics you posted. Round, saucer-like, with all the lights around the middle edge. 

Coincidence? Perhaps. But it’s sure making me very suspicious now! :P:lol:

On 8/10/2022 at 9:30 PM, Quaker2001 said:

It's a bad argument and terrible logic to try and apply here in order to justify your "we need to go back to the way things were" argument

At the very least, it's my opinion, which I admit is based on personal preferences. I'd be the last to claim that what I favor is what other a high percentage of other people also want, is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser or will generate the biggest TV ratings.

I've been expressing my opinion here for months, and I'm assuming the gamesbid forum is where people post about various aspects of the Olympics, summer or winter, new or old---which naturally involves their own opinions. If people's viewpoints are different from the ones I have, that's fine. If people's opinions are similar to the ones I have, hey, that's even better.

On 8/15/2022 at 9:37 PM, Quaker2001 said:

They're LA's Olympics.  They're paying for them.  Darn straight it should be their showcase.  Thankfully, there's only 1 person who seems to think otherwise and no one is going to listen to him

So? Just because the 2028 OOC is operating out of LA and presenting a summer Olympics held in LA doesn't mean the 2028 games have to go the business-as-usual local route and come off like a bad chamber-of-commerce advertisement.

When I watch bits of the 1984 games' opening, it didn't come off as too provincial, which is even more laudable to me since those were the first summer Olympics held in the US since 1932. So if the 2028 summer games choose to go the local-yokel route - as 2012 did - that will be embarrassing. After all, the previous summer games in America (much less the winter ones) were held in 1996, which in 2028 will be a span of 32 years. Not as brief as the two Olympics held in Beijing, but still by IOC standards merely a blink of the eye.

I admit most TV viewers will want to switch the channel if a segment like this occurs in 2028. But something about the marching music and international tone of this is - IMHO - a presentation that has an Olympic-ceremonial appropriateness about it. Again, that's IMHO. (okay, if it's not so humble, it's my opinion. Sheesh.)

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

So? Just because the 2028 OOC is operating out of LA and presenting a summer Olympics held in LA doesn't mean the 2028 games have to go the business-as-usual local route and come off like a bad chamber-of-commerce advertisement.

When I watch bits of the 1984 games' opening, it didn't come off as too provincial, which is even more laudable to me since those were the first summer Olympics held in the US since 1932. So if the 2028 summer games choose to go the local-yokel route - as 2012 did - that will be embarrassing. After all, the previous summer games in America (much less the winter ones) were held in 1996, which in 2028 will be a span of 32 years. Not as brief as the two Olympics held in Beijing, but still by IOC standards merely a blink of the eye.

I admit most TV viewers will want to switch the channel if a segment like this occurs in 2028. But something about the marching music and international tone of this is - IMHO - a presentation that has an Olympic-ceremonial appropriateness about it. Again, that's IMHO. (okay, if it's not so humble, it's my opinion. Sheesh.)

There is definitely nothing humble about your opinion.  Loud and arrogant is more like it.  So it should be IMLAAO.

Here's the thing.  You've made it abundantly clear (to the point of giving off a massive STFU vibe) that you're about you.  So the very last thing you should be doing is speaking for "most TV viewers."  You have no idea what they want and seem to have no desire to learn.  Still too busy giving us that powerpoint presentation no one invited you to show us and continuing to talk when no one wants to listen to you anymore.

Maybe give the organizers the benefit of the doubt that they have an idea what their audience wants (meaning millions, if not billions of people, not just 1 random shmo on an internet forum who likes being angry at things) and that they'll be able to put on a show that will appeal to them.  Even if that maybe is the polar opposite of appealing to you.

I know this may come as somewhat of a shock to you, but you are not the ultimate arbiter of the success or failure of an Olympics.  Or what makes a ceremony more "Olympic" for that matter.  Would be a refreshing change of pace for you to stop pretending that you are.  Yea yea, we know.. it's your opinion.  As if that's supposed to make a difference.  After all, you've watched "bits of the 1984 games' opening" so your opinion really carries a lot of weight.

(That last part was sarcasm in case you couldn't tell)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^ This was the way it was done in 1988:

1988 riffed on 1984, but instead of their "tall flag girls" being symbolic honor guards of the official Olympic flag, their marchers were a prelude to the athletes. That segment also used a bit of Beethoven's Ode to Joy for their marchers  instead of what was used in 1984 when the Antwerp flag was introduced.

The following segment of 1988 riffed on 1984's march of people dressed in clothes of their native countries. It took that concept used in 1984 and made it into a full presentation. That's what I'd like to see in 2028, minus the cheesy pop singing. However, if that segment had used full chorale accompaniment, it would have come off as more big-sound, big-time ceremonial.

Seoul 1988 admittedly has "been there, done that." But since that was 34 years ago (or by the time 2028 rolls around, 40 years ago) - and I don't think a full-on worldwide theme has been at other openings since 1988 - no one will remember.

^ Actually, I just watched more of that "Hand in Hand" and it came off as a weaker version of 1984's "Reach Out and Touch Someone's Hand." Although the 1988 OOC did have mascots from past (and future?) Olympics at their opening. Plus, although there was a bit of a choral sound, it seems to have been canned. That doesn't count.

Regardless, and in general, watching opening and closing ceremonies, even for Olympic games, is something I can do in only small bits. Maybe that's why some producers of such events believe that wacky costumes, cheesy scenes and goofy music are just what the IOC doctor ordered.

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

/\/\ Those were called the Tall Flag "Girls" (if you can believe it) -- indeed like an honor guard.  So, there were 84 in LA and then 88 in Seoul; and then, thankfully, it disappeared after that. It really was like a sopwith to the ladies who couldn't make the Rockettes grade.  

Hey, what are you referring to?

Is Amber Heard managing this forum?

Come to think of it, the 2028 opening ceremony can have a segment that celebrates the deranged narcissists of Hollywood history.

@Olympics2028

Multiple Posting of the same LA 1984 videos

Olympics2028 >>>Please stop this nonsense repeat posting the same LA 1984 videos over and over and over again.

From pages 18 onwards you have posted:

OC 1984 part 1:  4 times

OC 1984 part 102:  5 times.    3 of those were on the same page (p.18)

Correction:

@Olympics2028

Multiple Posting of the same LA 1984 videos

Olympics2028 >>>Please stop this nonsense repeat posting the same LA 1984 videos over and over and over again.

OC 1984 part 2:  5 times.    3 of those were on the same page (p.18)

2 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Uh, those posted videos had a different time stamp and each one auto-opened to a totally different segment of a multi-hour recording.

Wrong!  Wrong! Wrong!

Your obsessive compulsive posting of the same videos were indeed of exactly the same videos.

4 times you posted of exactly the same Part One  of the LA84 OC

5 times you posted Part Two of the LA84 Opening Ceremony.

23 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

@Olympics2028

Multiple Posting of the same LA 1984 videos

OC 1984 part 2:  5 times.    3 of those were on the same page (p.18)

15 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Uh, those posted videos had a different time stamp and each one auto-opened to a totally different segment of a multi-hour recording.

8 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Wrong!  Wrong! Wrong!

Your obsessive compulsive posting of the same videos were indeed of exactly the same videos.

4 times you posted of exactly the same Part One  of the LA84 OC

5 times you posted Part Two of the LA84 Opening Ceremony.

@Olympics2028

Page 18:  twice you posted the same Part 1 OC LA84 video

Page 22:  again, twice you posted the same Part 1 OC LA84 video

Let’s look at the Part 2 videos of the LA84 OC:

Page 18:   three (3) times on the same page you posted exactly the same Part 2 vids

Page 22 and Page 23:  you again posted the same Part 2 video on each of these two pages

That’s actually 5 times you posted the same  Part 2 video from pages 18 to 23.