Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
baron-pierreIV

LA 2028 Ceremonies

Recommended Posts

OK, Scoop!  First footage/rehearsal of 1st (my) idea for the 2028 Closing Ceremony -- a sequel to the Closing UFO stunt  in 1984!  

Enjoy!  B)

tenor.gif 

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's 11 years ago, but I guess certain hommage of LA based films will be made around. Prepare for La La Land sequence "City of Stars".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roger87 said:

I know it's 11 years ago, but I guess certain hommage of LA based films will be made around. Prepare for La La Land sequence "City of Stars".

Nah. That is such a WEAK sequence and film; and has really a very remote connection with an athletic tournament.  Chizelle's (or whatever his name is) music is so weak and namby-pamby.  I'm thinking more, if it isn't old hat in 11 years, more about "super heroes" and "super powers" might be a theme.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a La La Land sequel is inevitable considering how popular it was worldiwide.

If I were part of the ceremonies committee, I would have a Star Trek mention since Gene Rodenbury grew up in LA and graduated from Franklin High School in Highland Park (same as me!)

Not sure what the technology will be in 11 years, but a USS Enterprise at the Coliseum would blow everyone's mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

I think a La La Land sequel is inevitable considering how popular it was worldiwide.

If I were part of the ceremonies committee, I would have a Star Trek mention since Gene Rodenbury grew up in LA and graduated from Franklin High School in Highland Park (same as me!)

Not sure what the technology will be in 11 years, but a USS Enterprise at the Coliseum would blow everyone's mind.

I doubt that the IOC would sanction too many MOVIE/TV series connections.  Should be mostly original stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of the played-out ethnocentric narrative of Gringo settlers moving west from the East Coast crap, I'm hoping for a true LA opening ceremony with an LA story, one that begins with the indigenous/native Tongva, and maybe even a very large Tongva hut, and the use of native cosmology and symbolism... and then the arrival of the settlers, first the Spanish and Mexican, and then later the other Europeans and white Americans, Chinese railroad builders, and then everyone else, Okies, Arkies, African-Americans, South Asians, Samoans, Persians, etc., culminating into the multi-cultural semi-tossed salad that LA is.  

Edited by ejaycat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case someone doesn't know what a Tongva hut looks like:

155a8575ad9344c5e08d10bdcfd6d0e3.jpg

The Tongva were a semi-nomadic people and hunter gatherers; they moved when the seasons changed, and would leave their huts abandoned, but would return to the same settlements/villages when it was the right season.  During the hot summer months, they moved to the mountains/higher elevations where it was cooler and closer to natural water sources, and in the winter they went into the Basin and Valleys, which was quite fertile.  The LA Basin is a huge floodplain; flooding was regular, which created fertile soil---any area that floods regularly will have fertile soil.  The Basin was also full of natural marshes, lagoons and streams... which is why it irks me when people say LA is a desert.  It is not.

When the Spanish arrived and introduced the Mission system to them, they were forced to move close to the MIssions and forced to adopt agriculture, which ruined their way of life, and brought them disease.  The Europeans brought not only human diseases that the indigenous Americans had no immunity to, but also animal diseases; being hunter-gatherers and not agricultural, the Tongva weren't used to living in close proximity to herds and large groups of animals, so they succumbed to some animal-borne diseases.  

The Tongva were good at making baskets:

21-Autry-tongva-baskets.jpg

I think it'd be cool if some of this imagery were used in the opening ceremony.  

tongva_skin_clothing.jpg

Edited by ejaycat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ejaycat said:

Instead of the played-out ethnocentric narrative of Gringo settlers moving west from the East Coast crap, I'm hoping for a true LA opening ceremony with an LA story, one that begins with the indigenous/native Tongva, and maybe even a very large Tongva hut, and the use of native cosmology and symbolism... and then the arrival of the settlers, first the Spanish and Mexican, and then later the other Europeans and white Americans, Chinese railroad builders, and then everyone else, Okies, Arkies, African-Americans, South Asians, Samoans, Persians, etc., culminating into the multi-cultural semi-tossed salad that LA is.  

Should be a good idea; but then we've seen that all before with Sydney, Salt Lake and Rio.  Now . . . about those mastadoons and saber-tooth tigers of, rather, emerging from the La Brea tar pits and Wilshire Blvd ....now, there's an idea!  ;) 

Kidding aside, I think what LA eventually puts on, will be determined to a great length by what Paris puts on.  This will be the first time TWO 3x hosts will follow each other.  So, if Paris goes for, which I would if I were them, how the Games have changed over the last 100 years (through a Paris lens), then I think LA would avoid that perspective at all costs.  LA may resort to another red-white-&-blue show; and I think something with a forward-thinking slant.  There's only so much one can do for 45 minutes on a flat field--and not repeat yourself from last time.   

Ejay -- nice baskets.  I never heard of the Tongva's before.  DId they move out and settle in Tonga?  :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how LA executes the dual stadium Opening Ceremony concept. This should be interesting. One thing for certain, the opening ceremony will be under broad daylight (assuming a 6pm start to accommodate east coast viewers). If I was Garcetti, I would start the ceremony at the LA Coliseum (introduce the President and National Anthem), bring the artistic portion to Hollywood Park (for the theatrical darkness), the parade of nations and speeches back at the LA Coliseum, host a couple of musical performers back in Inglewood, and finally light the cauldron at the Coliseum. 

For the final leg of the torch relay, the flame is bought into Hollywood Park shortly after the artistic portion and takes a lap. It runs through the streets of South LA during the parade of nations, amid cheering crowds before entering the Coliseum. 

Hollywood Park hosts the entertainment aspect of the ceremony, LA Coliseum hosts the Olympic proceedings and parade of nations. Fans will get to choose which part of the ceremony they'll attend. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dchang11 said:

I wonder how LA executes the dual stadium Opening Ceremony concept. This should be interesting. One thing for certain, the opening ceremony will be under broad daylight (assuming a 6pm start to accommodate east coast viewers). If I was Garcetti, I would start the ceremony at the LA Coliseum (introduce the President and National Anthem), bring the artistic portion to Hollywood Park (for the theatrical darkness), the parade of nations and speeches back at the LA Coliseum, host a couple of musical performers back in Inglewood, and finally light the cauldron at the Coliseum. 

For the final leg of the torch relay, the flame is bought into Hollywood Park shortly after the artistic portion and takes a lap. It runs through the streets of South LA during the parade of nations, amid cheering crowds before entering the Coliseum. 

Hollywood Park hosts the entertainment aspect of the ceremony, LA Coliseum hosts the Olympic proceedings and parade of nations. Fans will get to choose which part of the ceremony they'll attend. 

The IOC has NOT yet approved the dual OC concept.  This is just LA's idea at the time.  THe IOC shot down Chicago's similar idea; and I think it might be shot down as well.  Just perhaps a smaller ceremony @ the Coliseum in time for the Lighting of the outdoor cauldron.  That's really the only time they need to synch and cut to the Coliseum live.  You do present a good idea, but it might just be too complex for one evening they just want to get through since the actual drama starts the next day with all the competition.   

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The IOC has NOT yet approved the dual OC concept.  This is just LA's idea at the time.  THe IOC shot down Chicago's similar idea; and I think it might be shot down as well.  Just perhaps a smaller ceremony @ the Coliseum in time for the Lighting of the outdoor cauldron.  That's really the only time they need to synch and cut to the Coliseum live.  You do present a good idea, but it might just be too complex for one evening they just want to get through since the actual drama starts the next day with all the competition.   

If LA does to the dual concept, I think this is the best concept. I mean the broadcasting will start at the LA Coliseum, head into Inglewood, and back to LA Coliseum for the parade of nations and the lighting of the cauldron. A separate channel could cover the entertainment while the parade of nations is going on...with the main broadcasters out in the Coliseum can drop in whenever they please. The production looks complex, but I think this is the best way to utilize both stadiums and honor the legacies of 1932 and 1984. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

LA may resort to another red-white-&-blue show

- unless of course the Paris ceremony is based on the French flag and the ideas of liberté, égalité & fraternité

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

- unless of course the Paris ceremony is based on the French flag and the ideas of liberté, égalité & fraternité

Ours will have stars!! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dchang11 said:

I wonder how LA executes the dual stadium Opening Ceremony concept. This should be interesting. One thing for certain, the opening ceremony will be under broad daylight (assuming a 6pm start to accommodate east coast viewers). If I was Garcetti, I would start the ceremony at the LA Coliseum (introduce the President and National Anthem), bring the artistic portion to Hollywood Park (for the theatrical darkness), the parade of nations and speeches back at the LA Coliseum, host a couple of musical performers back in Inglewood, and finally light the cauldron at the Coliseum. 

For the final leg of the torch relay, the flame is bought into Hollywood Park shortly after the artistic portion and takes a lap. It runs through the streets of South LA during the parade of nations, amid cheering crowds before entering the Coliseum. 

Hollywood Park hosts the entertainment aspect of the ceremony, LA Coliseum hosts the Olympic proceedings and parade of nations. Fans will get to choose which part of the ceremony they'll attend. 

You actually made me like the idea of a dual stadium ceremony. 

 

On 8/23/2017 at 8:56 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Nah. That is such a WEAK sequence and film; and has really a very remote connection with an athletic tournament.  Chizelle's (or whatever his name is) music is so weak and namby-pamby.  I'm thinking more, if it isn't old hat in 11 years, more about "super heroes" and "super powers" might be a theme.  

But like...it fits LA and it could be really beautiful. WTF does anything in the  modern OC's have to do with an athletic tournament aside from the mandated IOC stuff? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr.bernham said:

But like...it fits LA and it could be really beautiful.

But it'll date the show from 2016-17.  If it were me, I know there's something BETTER and STRONGER along those lines -- and the IOC and LAOOC-28 will own the rights to in their DVDs, what-have you.  Not some hand-me-down where they have to pay residuals instead of keeping the royalties themselves.  The song/music just doesn't, to me, lend itself to a dynamic sequence that will tell the story of LA-2028 better.  And it's not legendary like "The Girl from Ipanema" or "Imagine."  

Quote

WTF does anything in the  modern OC's have to do with an athletic tournament aside from the mandated IOC stuff? 

Nothing -- but it all ties in with the narrative of the evening; and the backdrop that ". . .  this locale we're celebrating tonight and we're telling you the story about . . ." is going to play host and the setting  to an extraordinary athletic tournament in the history of mankind.  "That's all."   

And the provenance of the source, the movie.  I mean it's about mediocre wannabees, who  get lucky and sort of amount of something (at least she).  And then it's a pseudo-winner at the Oscars - the (failed) "Miss Colombia-2105" of the Oscars.  The non-winner of the race.  It's NOT ROCKY, in other words.  I don't think that's something LA-2028 would ultimately want to align themselves -- if they have their heads screwed on right.   There will be other, stronger material that will come along or that the Creative people will commission in time.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2017 at 5:27 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Should be a good idea; but then we've seen that all before with Sydney, Salt Lake and Rio.  Now . . . about those mastadoons and saber-tooth tigers of, rather, emerging from the La Brea tar pits and Wilshire Blvd ....now, there's an idea!  ;) 

Yeah, I know it's been done with those cities, but that's the thing:  It was the history of *those* cities/nations.  I think it would be an opportunity for Los Angeles to tell its own history, something that many seem to think Los Angeles lacks, even though people have been living here for thousands of years.  

 

On 8/25/2017 at 5:27 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

LA may resort to another red-white-&-blue show

Oh MAN, I hope not.  I'm really sick of American nationalism and jingoism.  Remember the pickup trucks and cheerleaders at Atlanta's opening ceremony?!?  Such an embarrassment!

 

On 8/25/2017 at 5:27 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Ejay -- nice baskets.  I never heard of the Tongva's before.  DId they move out and settle in Tonga?  :lol:

The Tongva are the people that the Spanish referred to as the Gabrieleños, the natives associated with the San Gabriel Mission.  The Tongva are related to the neighboring tribe, the Chumash, who inhabited neighboring modern-day Ventura/Santa Barbara/San Luis Obispo Counties and were seafarers, and ate seafood and a lot of fish, which made them physically larger/muscular than the Tongva.  These native southern California tribes did not war with each other, because they were hunter-gatherers and resources were plentiful, so they shared everything the land provided for them.  I believe the Tongva are a recognized native tribe by the State of California, but not by the US Federal Government, which would otherwise set aside a reservation for them, but no geographically accurate home reservation can be set aside for them, being that their historical area in Los Angeles County is fully developed into cities.

 

On 8/25/2017 at 9:38 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

And the provenance of the source, the movie.  I mean it's about mediocre wannabees, who  get lucky and sort of amount of something (at least she).  

I think the Ryan Gosling character also amounted to something at the end, as well as the Emma Stone character:  Both accomplished their goals, she becoming a movie star, and he becoming the owner of a jazz club.  I felt it was also realistic that though they accomplished their goals, they ended up not being together.

But I agree with your view that "La La Land" will be a forgotten, dated time capsule in 11 year's time (or at least just very dated), and shouldn't be used for the LA2028 opening ceremony.  Even now, nobody really talks about "Chicago."  

Edited by ejaycat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

La la land might become a Broadway musical so if successful it could still  be around by 2028

Edited by hektor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hektor said:

La la land might become a Broadway musical so if successful it could still  be around by 2028

It could be.  But it seems like a very boring, shallow story to me.  I think LA 2028 will want to spin something more original of its own.  La la Land will seem so retro by 2028.  LAOOC-28 will create a new personality for those Games; not be in the shadow of a story and songs from 2016.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a number of Hollywood film musical sequences they could use. Anything by Disney or with Gene Kelley, Gentlemen prefer Blondes, Wizard of Oz...etc.  LaLaLand could work in a medley sequence ith any of those . But the Hollywood aspect shouldn’t be a strong focus. I also hope the OC is specifically an LA story and not a USA story. It’s just more interesting because few people know much about LA’s history. Everyone knows American history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jtrevino said:

There are a number of Hollywood film musical sequences they could use. Anything by Disney or with Gene Kelley, Gentlemen prefer Blondes, Wizard of Oz...etc.  LaLaLand could work in a medley sequence ith any of those . But the Hollywood aspect shouldn’t be a strong focus. I also hope the OC is specifically an LA story and not a USA story. It’s just more interesting because few people know much about LA’s history. Everyone knows American history. 

Well, ejaycat brought it up already, but LA is such a YOUNG metropolis -- that there isn't a real deep history to mine.  I mean, what?  A few tribes?  How are those crucial and relevant to today;s history.  No, it shouldn't be too bad if US history is touched on again because the US is the HOST country and the Feds will be spending for Security, so it seems only fair and as long as it's told in new and novel ways.   But jeez, the whole thing is like 9 years away.  First we have to see what Paris will do; and then what how World Cup 2026 will terat the 250th Anniversary of the USA.  And then, you take it from there . . .It'll be something very youth-oriented, athletic and forward- looking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, ejaycat brought it up already, but LA is such a YOUNG metropolis -- that there isn't a real deep history to mine.  I mean, what?  A few tribes?  How are those crucial and relevant to today;s history.  No, it shouldn't be too bad if US history is touched on again because the US is the HOST country and the Feds will be spending for Security, so it seems only fair and as long as it's told in new and novel ways.   But jeez, the whole thing is like 9 years away.  First we have to see what Paris will do; and then what how World Cup 2026 will terat the 250th Anniversary of the USA.  And then, you take it from there . . .It'll be something very youth-oriented, athletic and forward- looking. 

It may be young, but damn did it go through a lot in just a few hundred years. 

Natives, the Spanish, Mexico, the Chinese, becoming part of the US... the orange groves, movies, the trolleys, the cars, freeways, sprawl, aerospace, and now cultural Mecca... all in just about 2 centuries.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jtrevino said:

I also hope the OC is specifically an LA story and not a USA story. It’s just more interesting because few people know much about LA’s history. Everyone knows American history. 

Hear, hear!

 

36 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, ejaycat brought it up already, but LA is such a YOUNG metropolis -- that there isn't a real deep history to mine.  I mean, what?  A few tribes?  How are those crucial and relevant to today;s history.  No, it shouldn't be too bad if US history is touched on again because the US is the HOST country and the Feds will be spending for Security, so it seems only fair and as long as it's told in new and novel ways.   But jeez, the whole thing is like 9 years away.  First we have to see what Paris will do; and then what how World Cup 2026 will terat the 250th Anniversary of the USA.  And then, you take it from there . . .It'll be something very youth-oriented, athletic and forward- looking. 

Again, native history goes back thousands of years.  Everyone is all too familiar with Yankee history.  California (as well as much of the western third of what is now the US) was a Spanish colony for a few centuries, as well as part of an independent Mexico for a couple of decades... I'd rather they played that up instead of Yankee occupation/annexation.  The San Gabriel Mission was founded in 1771, before the 13 British Colonies even declared their independence, and Los Angeles was founded in 1781 (it's even older than Sydney).  I'd rather they showcased what makes LA and California unique to the rest of the US... I think THAT should be played up.  Just as a for instance, and perhaps an extreme example, but if Honolulu were hosting an Olympics, wouldn't they play up Honolulu and Hawaii over clichéd American crap?  I think they would and should.  

Edited by ejaycat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2017 at 8:03 PM, ejaycat said:

Instead of the played-out ethnocentric narrative of Gringo settlers moving west from the East Coast crap, I'm hoping for a true LA opening ceremony with an LA story, one that begins with the indigenous/native Tongva, and maybe even a very large Tongva hut, and the use of native cosmology and symbolism... and then the arrival of the settlers, first the Spanish and Mexican, and then later the other Europeans and white Americans, Chinese railroad builders, and then everyone else, Okies, Arkies, African-Americans, South Asians, Samoans, Persians, etc., culminating into the multi-cultural semi-tossed salad that LA is.  

I understand why people want to do this (inclusiveness and giving a voice to everyone) but I personally hope that LA shows us what America means rather than who the Americans are.

My paternal ancestry in the US goes back to Jamestown in 1619, but I have never used that to explain what I feel about my country. I was not alive then: it wasn't my experience. The people who watch the opening ceremonies will not have lived through the building of the first railroads in California, the Californio missions, etc. The thing that matters about California and the USA is not the genetic history of the people living there or its sub-cultures, but what they believe in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, ejaycat brought it up already, but LA is such a YOUNG metropolis -- that there isn't a real deep history to mine.  I mean, what?  A few tribes?  How are those crucial and relevant to today;s history.  No, it shouldn't be too bad if US history is touched on again because the US is the HOST country and the Feds will be spending for Security, so it seems only fair and as long as it's told in new and novel ways.   But jeez, the whole thing is like 9 years away.  First we have to see what Paris will do; and then what how World Cup 2026 will terat the 250th Anniversary of the USA.  And then, you take it from there . . .It'll be something very youth-oriented, athletic and forward- looking. 

If the OC has the cowboys, pilgrims, Lincoln, and Washington, I can’t see it being good. Like Ejaycat pointed, Yankee history has been done to death. Sure, it’s relevent, but it’s going to feel like sitting in a high school history lesson. They won’t struggle to find local LA history material that’s interesting. There are a lot of almost cinematic, noirish curiosities in LA's local history.  The challenge is going to be editing things out rather than including things in. They only have about an hour (?) total of performance time to touch on everything.

And I think the cultural elements are the most interesting things anyway, so any history segments should be really short. You're going to remember the light, contemporary elements like Giselle walking to Girl from Ipanema or James Bond, the Queen, and Mr. Bean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×