LA 2028 Ceremonies

On 8/26/2022 at 2:53 PM, Bear said:

having jetpack man return would also be fantastic even if it was for a few moments

It certainly would … 

Could be done more easily at the Closing at LA Memorial Coliseum.

But come to think of it, at the Opening there too, ….. fly the torch around the stadium before handing to the next runner in the relay to SoFi Stadium.

10 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

But come to think of it, at the Opening there too, ….. fly the torch around the stadium before handing to the next runner in the relay to SoFi Stadium.

Uhmm . . . anti-climactic.  Also, torch + jetpack  :wacko: , I don't think the Fire Marshall of Inglewood would allow that.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

2 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

what about a drone big enough to carry the torch-bearer?  

What would that really prove?  Nothing but a bigger drone which would get all the attention rather than the suspense of the final lighters leading up to the climactic moment at the 2 locations.  Way TOO gimmicky -- not to mention insurmountable insurance issues.  

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

What would that really prove?  Nothing but a bigger drone which would get all the attention rather than the suspense of the final lighters leading up to the climactic moment at the 2 locations.  Way TOO gimmicky -- not to mention insurmountable insurance issues.  

Oh I see, you’re envisaging a simultaneous lighting of both cauldrons at both stadiums?  Yes that could well happen and would good if it did.

I had imagined the torch relay visiting LA Memorial Coliseum on its way to SoFi Stadium for the main cauldron event, with the Coliseum cauldron lighting happening after that as a less prominent event … I don’t know …. the whole cauldton thing seems to be downsizing.

With this apparent trend toward smaller, tiny flame cauldrons, powered by environmentally friendly gas, I wonder whether the SoFi Stadium cauldron might also be a big music, big ceremonial lighting of what is actually a small grandchild of the bigger, older LA Coliseum one?    It’s intriguing.

21 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

What about lighting the Coliseum cauldron to open the ceremony at the very beginning........and the SciFi cauldron to finish the ceremony?...2 dramatic highlights. 

Eh. 

#1 - IOC Charter more or less determines the script & IOC Exec Board OKs any final changes.  

#2 - Even if it were so, why light the more historic Coliseum cauldron during the daylight hours?  It would be a wasted opportunity, drama-wise.  

If she's still fit, it will be Joan Benoit Samuelson to light the Coliseum cauldron.  She won the 1st women's marathon right there at LA in 1984,  I think over at SoFi, it could be Michael Phelps.  My two other leading candidates for '28 Lighters are Karch Kiraly and Kerri Walsh -- both 4x volleyball medalists.  Karch has 4 golds: 2 for indoor volleyball, 3rd one for being the first Beach Volleyball winner and a 4th gold for being coach of the US Women's gold-medal winning team in Tokyo.  Keru Walsh has 4 also: 3 golds and a bronze in Beach volleyball.  I would also include a number of gold gymnasts like Simone Biles, Kerri Strug, etc. 

Why the Williams sisters?  They have more victories from the Grand Slam than the Olympics -- and their careers are very commercial.  

6 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

If she's still fit, it will be Joan Benoit Samuelson to light the Coliseum cauldron.  She won the 1st women's marathon right there at LA in 1984,  I think over at SoFi, it could be Michael Phelps.  My two other leading candidates for '28 Lighters are Karch Kiraly and Kerri Walsh -- both 4x volleyball medalists.  Karch has 4 golds: 2 for indoor volleyball, 3rd one for being the first Beach Volleyball winner and a 4th gold for being coach of the US Women's gold-medal winning team in Tokyo.  Keru Walsh has 4 also: 3 golds and a bronze in Beach volleyball.  I would also include a number of gold gymnasts like Simone Biles, Kerri Strug, etc. 

Why the Williams sisters?  They have more victories from the Grand Slam than the Olympics -- and their careers are very commercial.  

You just answered your own question.  How many people - in this country, much less the world - would recognize Joan Benoit Samuelson if they saw her on the street?  Probably not that many.  People all over the world know the Williams sisters.  They'll want that marquee value from the lighting.

There are so many notable athletes they can and should include inside the stadium.  Kiraly is good one, grew up in the LA area, went to UCLA, so he has southern California ties.  Ditto with Kerri.  Bring her out with Misty, she's also from LA.  

Re: Benoit.. she is very much still in shape.  In 2019, she ran in the Boston Marathon with her daughter.  Finished in 3:04:00, 1st in her age group.  Definitely have her involved.  But the final cauldron lighter?  Eh, don't know about that.  Maybe have her and Lewis be the 2 athletes to bring the torches into the respective stadiums as a nod to `84.  I think that would work be great

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

How many people - in this country, much less the world - would recognize Joan Benoit Samuelson if they saw her on the street?  Probably not that many.  People all over the world know the Williams sisters.  They'll want that marquee value from the lighting.

Oh, I'd say a few thousand Olympic aficionados and certainly thousands of marathon-groupies around the world.  Her symbolic importance to me, matters more than marquee value.  Why do the Williams sisters need more exposure?  To me, the lighting moment is to HONOR symbolic, singular Olympic sporting achievement.  And especially for the USA, for all its Olympic Games since 1960, it has NEVER given that honor to a female athlete.  It's always been men: white men for the Winters and black men for the Summers. Time for women -- and 2028 will offer at least 2 moments for that.    

I never agreed with the choice of the LOUDMOUTH Ali for 1996.  Instead of highlighting a fit athlete, who did they get? A doddering, shaking athlete past his prime who barely personified "vigor" and what Olympic competition is all about.  It was such a sham.  As for "celebrity," that's what the TV commentators are there for.  They fill in the blanks and can explain the backstories of lesser-known athletes.  

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Oh, I'd say a few thousand Olympic aficionados and certainly thousands of marathon-groupies around the world.  Her symbolic importance to me, matters more than marquee value.  Why do the Williams sisters need more exposure?  To me, the lighting moment is to HONOR symbolic, singular Olympic sporting achievement.  And especially for the USA, for all its Olympic Games since 1960, it has NEVER given that honor to a female athlete.  It's always been men: white men for the Winters and black men for the Summers. Time for women -- and 2028 will offer at least 2 moments for that.

I never agreed with the choice of the LOUDMOUTH Ali for 1996.  Instead of highlighting a fit athlete, who did they get? A doddering, shaking athlete past his prime who barely personified "vigor" and what Olympic competition is all about.  It was such a sham.  As for "celebrity," that's what the TV commentators are there for.  They fill in the blanks and can explain the backstories of lesser-known athletes.  

Last I checked, the Williams *sisters* are women.  I agree that this nod should go towards a female, so why not them.  Is Benoit and her marathon win in `84 that symbolic that she deserves the honor of lighting the cauldron?  There are more meaningful choices out there than her.  Again, by all means have her be one of the last torch bearers.  But be careful of playing the Olympics2028 "to me" edition of this where you're picking the person you want to see based on your criteria and saying that's who it's going to be. 

And yes, we know your feelings well around here about Muhammad Ali.  For what it's worth (not much), ESPN put him #3 on its list of athletes of the century, behind only Michael Jordan and Babe Ruth.  We get that you disagree with his politics (although posthumously and given the events of this country over the last few years, you don't feel as strongly), but that's an iconic moment.  If a TV commentator has to explain who someone is or what their backstory is, then maybe that person shouldn't be given one of the highest honors that comes with an Olympics.

5 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

If a TV commentator has to explain who someone is or what their backstory is, then maybe that person shouldn't be given one of the highest honors that comes with an Olympics.

:P  Would you -- casting aside your connection to sports -- have known who Sandra Bezic was?  Or Robin Perry?  What about the back story of the 1976 Montreal pair?  What about the Sakai guy who lit Tokyo 1064?  Or even the very first torch lighter, Fritz Schilgen - would you have wanted to know, aside from his obvious Aryan looks, why he was chosen?  Or Antonio Rebollo of Barcelona?  He was a gimp, why him and not have Epi, the celebrity basketball player--not the emergency asthma injectible--climb up the steps and light the cauldron instead?  So, going by your illogic, all those unknown choices are bunk?  

There is a certain mystique if a less known personality is chosen. People get to talk and learn something new.  Benoit, to me, has far greater significance than the Williams sisters because she is the first American woman to have won the first women's Olympic marathon on home soil -- and if she is still alive by 2028, lived another 44 years to show that she's still around and light the flame once more! They sort of did the same for Spyridon Loues (of 1896) by asking him to appear in 1936. 

And we imagine, there will be two opportunities to light the 2028 Opening cauldrons.  So, surely, I'd give the honor at the Coliseum to Benoit if it were me.  Others could be the lead-up torch bearers; and perhaps Michael Phelps at SoFi.  
To me, history matters more than celebrity, It gives the moment special significance as to, "oh wow, that's Kim Kardashian  who will light the cauldron."   :wacko:

I Was Bored, So I Watched Joan Benoit Samuelson Win the 1984 Olympic Marathon - LetsRun.com 

See the source image

Edited by baron-pierreIV

45 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

:P  Would you -- casting aside your connection to sports -- have known who Sandra Bezic was?  Or Robin Perry?  What about the back story of the 1976 Montreal pair?  What about the Sakai guy who lit Tokyo 1064?  Or even the very first torch lighter, Fritz Schilgen - would you have wanted to know, aside from his obvious Aryan looks, why he was chosen?  Or Antonio Rebollo of Barcelona?  He was a gimp, why him and not have Epi, the celebrity basketball player--not the emergency asthma injectible--climb up the steps and light the cauldron instead?  So, going by your illogic, all those unknown choices are bunk? 

That was a bad way of putting it on my part.  We've seen countries go the route of somewhat randomness (think Calgary `88 or London 2012 and not even give it to a prominent athlete, instead opting to symbolize youth.  Or Sakai in `64 where his significance was that he was born the day the bomb went off in Hiroshima.

The flip side of that though is selections like Tokyo 2020 and PyeongChang 2018 and Vancouver 2010 and Sydney 2000 where they did pick someone extremely prominent, in part because of their reputation and celebrity.  Kinda goes against your logic of singular Olympic achievement, doesn't it.  Particularly with Osaka last summer, who had never competed in the Olympics and that pick was clearly all about her celebrity rather than her sporting achievements.

45 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

There is a certain mystique if a less known personality is chosen. People get to talk and learn something new.  Benoit, to me, has far greater significance than the Williams sisters because she is the first American woman to have won the first women's Olympic marathon on home soil -- and if she is still alive by 2028, lived another 44 years to show that she's still around and light the flame once more! They sort of did the same for Spyridon Loues (of 1896) by asking him to appear in 1936. 

And we imagine, there will be two opportunities to light the 2028 Opening cauldrons.  So, surely, I'd give the honor at the Coliseum to Benoit if it were me.  Others could be the lead-up torch bearers; and perhaps Michael Phelps at SoFi.  
To me, history matters more than celebrity, It gives the moment special significance as to, "oh wow, that's Kim Kardashian  who will light the cauldron."   :wacko:

It's not you.  I get this is about personal preference, but don't get caught in the trap of questioning another choice by basically saying "no, it's going to be this person, because that's who I want."

If a ceremony wants to go the route of someone more unknown to add to the intrigue, that's understandable.  I can't imagine the LA committee will go that route, not with the multitude of people that would fit the bill.  It's a very noteworthy achievement by Benoit that she won that historic marathon and it happened in LA and she's still very much involved in sports.  But greater significance than the Williams sisters?  That's a stretch.  Let's not create a strawman here that having Venus and Serena light the flame is on the level of the Kardashians.  Serena is arguably the greatest female in the history of her sport.  She and Venus are 3-time Olympic champions as a doubles team and each has another gold in singles.  Most importantly, they have roots in LA.  Very easy to make the argument that the legacy of the `84 games helped make their careers, so it's not as if that connection isn't there.

Given the rich history of the United States at the Olympics, off the top of my head I can think of probably a dozen good candidates to light the cauldron.  I wouldn't have put Benoit on there, but a good case can be made for her.  Sounds like a cool idea to have her carry the torch into the Coliseum in honor of the `84 marathon win.  I'd totally go for that.

13 minutes ago, FYI said:

It should be Ryan Lochte!! He'd be the perfect 'dude' for LA! :lol: He was also born during the LA84 Games, so what more could one ask for. ^_^

He could be the USA flag bearer at LA28 opening ceremony.

8 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

S & V Williams eliminated in first round doubles. 

BTW, I thought they were from Florida.  

Born and raised in Compton.  They moved to Florida for a while to be closer to their coaches, but eventually moved back home.  So their roots are very much in Southern California

21 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

“Kicking off on July 14 2028, the Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games will be hosted at both the LA Coliseum and the SoFi Stadium at the same time.”

Los Angeles officials detail plans for Summer Olympics - ticketnews.com

Really interested how this unprecedented move of two Los Angeles stadiums simultaneously hosting the Opening Ceremony could be pulled off. Would there be alternating presentations at the venues? The Parade of Nations and all the Olympic protocol has to be performed inside the Los Angeles Coliseum because of history. It could use the nearby Banc of California Stadium, where the Los Angeles Sports Arena formerly stood, for the marching athletes to get ready and make their walk, although the Intuit Dome could act likewise if the OC could take place at the SoFi Stadium.

Been repeatedly watching the Los Angeles 1984 Opening Ceremony lately. What nods towards that would the organizers adopt for the 2028 version with respect to subsequent technological and social advancement? I'm thinking Jet Pack Man, Tall Girls & Flags (something we haven't seen since Seoul 1988). Solid assumption that Hollywood with the top movies and music by 2028 with a dose of diverse American music history will be prominent. Music about Los Angeles or LA/Cali-themed ("I Love LA" from Randy Newman and The Eagles' "Hotel California", just to give a couple examples) being played during the Parade of Nations is a possibility. No doubt multiculturalism that Los Angeles definitely possesses--recall the diverse LA residents from every nationalities and tribes sampling entering the stadium and interacting with the athletes, coaches, and officials at the end of the Opening Ceremony--will surely play a role again, as is previously mentioned and wished for on this thread. Los Angeles obviously has gotten even more diverse and multicultural since 1984.     

23 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

If a ceremony wants to go the route of someone more unknown to add to the intrigue, that's understandable.  I can't imagine the LA committee will go that route, not with the multitude of people that would fit the bill.  It's a very noteworthy achievement by Benoit that she won that historic marathon and it happened in LA and she's still very much involved in sports.  But greater significance than the Williams sisters?  That's a stretch.  Let's not create a strawman here that having Venus and Serena light the flame is on the level of the Kardashians.  Serena is arguably the greatest female in the history of her sport.  She and Venus are 3-time Olympic champions as a doubles team and each has another gold in singles.  Most importantly, they have roots in LA.  Very easy to make the argument that the legacy of the `84 games helped make their careers, so it's not as if that connection isn't there.

Given the rich history of the United States at the Olympics, off the top of my head I can think of probably a dozen good candidates to light the cauldron.  I wouldn't have put Benoit on there, but a good case can be made for her.  Sounds like a cool idea to have her carry the torch into the Coliseum in honor of the `84 marathon win.  I'd totally go for that.

California alone has oh so many United States Olympians--and gold medalists out of it--over many years to the point that the majority of the USOC delegation in recent Summer Olympics for over 50+ years coming from the Golden State. Rich in Summer Olympians in various sports, admittedly the selection is so tough to chose out of California alone for just carrying the Olympic flag and the final torch relay around the track and lighting it. To the point of saying, "You should see the list of those who we didn't select for those privileges." Rafer Johnson, 1960 Olympic decathlete gold medalist, has Los Angeles ties when he lit it back in 1984 like being a UCLA student like rival and friend C.K. Yang from Taiwan. So I don't really expect anything different. The Williams sisters certainly check the qualification bill like many others, if the organizing committee presumably want to go the full Cali or Los Angeles/Southern California direction. Agree with Joan Benoit being a worthy selection should it come to that with her case, for the significance taking place in Los Angeles, as a candidate for the 2028 cauldron lighting.