LA 2028 Ceremonies

I watched a segment of the 2020 (2021) opening ceremony, the part where they honored the victims of the 1972 Munich massacre. What could have been (or should have been) a touching, moving, honorable portion (and a tribute not permitted by the IOC during other past summer games) instead involved some guy dressed in what looked like a rag outfit writhing around on the ground. WTF? SMH.

A variation of the same "we're hip and cool!" thing has been done at other Olympic ceremonies for years.

For some reason, producers of openings and closings love to do "WTF?" moments. In turn, they go "that's crap!" to formats or traditions that were common over 30-40 years ago.

Okay, I've mentioned concepts like this before: But honoring the victims of the 1972 games in Munich could have been done with a large choir and perhaps simple images projected onto large screens. Or something like that. But no, for the too-cool-for-the-room producers of today, that would have been too boring, too old-fashioned.

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

I watched a segment of the 2020 (2021) opening ceremony, the part where they honored the victims of the 1972 Munich massacre. What could have been (or should have been) a touching, moving, honorable portion (and a tribute not permitted by the IOC during other past summer games) instead involved some guy dressed in what looked like a rag outfit writhing around on the ground. WTF? SMH.

A variation of the same "we're hip and cool!" thing has been done at other Olympic ceremonies for years.

For some reason, producers of openings and closings love to do "WTF?" moments. In turn, they go "that's crap!" to formats or traditions that were common over 30-40 years ago.

Okay, I've mentioned concepts like this before: But honoring the victims of the 1972 games in Munich could have been done with a large choir and perhaps simple images projected onto large screens. Or something like that. But no, for the too-cool-for-the-room producers of today, that would have been too boring, too old-fashioned.

abe-simpson.jpg

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

instead involved some guy dressed in what looked like a rag outfit writhing around on the ground. WTF? SMH.

that segment... is part of Japanese culture that dates back to 63 years ago...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butoh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Coming from you?

I don't know if I should be greatly honored or even more deeply insulted.

Yes, you continually deliberately false, provocative rubbish and nonsense theories just to bring attention to yourself which spotlights your narcissistic trolling behaviour.

>> What’s hiding behind that keyboard?  Trolls on Gamesbids.com <<

21 hours ago, Bear said:

that segment... is part of Japanese culture that dates back to 63 years ago...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butoh

But the way that moment was presented, whether it was in memoriam to 1972 or WWII, etc, it was the format that the producer used that I went "WTF?!" about. Instead of the segment being moving or heartfelt, it struck me as odd or bizarre.

1 hour ago, BigVic said:

Sydney's segment at the Atlanta CC had prawns on bikes. Wonder what will Brisbane 2032 feature during the LA28 CC? 

Something tells me that paris styles handover will be the new tendency (which I personally think its a shame considering Rio and Tokyo handovers). Letting feelings aside Paris handover was economic, easy to prepare, flashy, pretty patriotic and "global", without mentioning the showcase of the actual host city ehmm...london, ehmm...beijing(2022). Also considering we've already watched the strange droney cinematic in both paris and milano-cortina handovers, and the plane flyover in eiffel tower (paris) and venice /dolomites (milano-cortina), maybe expect a similar cinematic around LA and the flyover at US bank tower or in memorial coliseum.

1 hour ago, Chris_Mex said:

handover was economic, easy to prepare, flashy, pretty patriotic and "global", without mentioning the showcase of the actual host city ehmm...london, ehmm...beijing(2022)., 

The scaled-down "economic" nature of the recent hand-over segments vs. the more, full, cast of thousands show-bizzy nature of the others, I think, can be ascribed more to the Covid situation than anything else.  Travel was curtailed, Japan and China really didn't want any more foreign bodies (even though it began in old China) coming in unnecessarily -- so just make it a "mailed-in" show.  Also determined by the Covid situation is the number of observer teams both cities had from Paris, Milano-Cortina, LA and Brisbane.  Their numbers were supposedly reduced greatly than in normal times.  

28 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

The scaled-down "economic" nature of the recent hand-over segments vs. the more, full, cast of thousands show-bizzy nature of the others, I think, can be ascribed more to the Covid situation than anything else.  Travel was curtailed, Japan and China really didn't want any more foreign bodies (even though it began in old China) coming in unnecessarily -- so just make it a "mailed-in" show.  Also determined by the Covid situation is the number of observer teams both cities had from Paris, Milano-Cortina, LA and Brisbane.  Their numbers were supposedly reduced greatly than in normal times.  

Yeah but as some commenters said in another thread, the current tendency sadly is going for simpler ceremonies, a tendency shown not since tokyo, but since pyeongchang (although the pandemic helped the tendency to continue). The handover I believe is no different why doing all that rio carnival thing with pele or that tokyo colofull thing with anime cameos, when all you can do is some kind of public event with planes flyover (much cheaper, less creative but with more impact). Honestly, the best part of the milano-cortina 2026 handover was the one taking place outside of the birds nest, I personally didn't understood what does that contemporary dance thing had to do with northern italy, or the children with the milano-cortina jacket holding the globe that looked so dull. That segment was as italian as it was "japanese" the tap homage in 2020 ceremony.

Milano Cortina 2022 Flag Handover, Italy's Duality and Fragility – NBC Bay  Area

Malagò vows to make up for lost time as Milan Cortina 2026 receives Olympic  Flag

apart from the giant milano-cortina sign, how does this reflect northern italy in any way?

RIO 2016 | Tokyo 2020 Olympic Flag Handover - Balich Wonder Studio | Live  Entertainment Group

A handover should make it clear were are the games coming next, in this picture even in you take out the giant tokyo sign you still have left a big tokyo skyline, Mt.fuji, the rising sun and last but not least a skytree coming out of a super mario pipe.

London 2012 | Rio 2016 Olympic Flag Handover - Balich Wonder Studio | Live  Entertainment Group

or here, theres noy a direct appointment of the venue of the games, but there you got carnival-dressed performers, the iconic copacabana tiled floor, the brazilian colours of the logo at the center, and last the carioca skyline at the seats LED screen. My point is, while economic handovers are being taken as the new rule, we should remember that there must be a showcase of the host country, thats why I believe tokyo and rio as the top point of handovers, beacuse they really gave a taste of what their cities identity are, not simply planes flying over a monument

2 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

thats why I believe tokyo and rio as the top point of handovers, beacuse they really gave a taste of what their cities identity are, not simply planes flying over a monument

Coming back to the brisbane 2032 handover in LA 28, it may be interesting (no offense to queenslanders) but brisbane nor SEQ have and identity as clear and as defined as some of the recent hosts (London, Rio, Tokyo, Paris, LA, or even as Sidney) and while I know some commenter will come and ctrl+v some random brisbane pictures, I believe it is the cities chance to start defining a new identity, something that had been on my mind for the brisbane games is showing it as a nature paradise, and starting the show with a show depicting the stars and then the southern cross over the SoFi led roof, which then show the commonwealth star and then a ginat australian flag around the roof which links it to their national anthem, after that inside the stadiuma giant projection of the great reef barrier ▷ La Gran Barrera de Coral en Australia | Cómo llegar y qué hacer (2020)

which then turns into whitehaven beach

Whitehaven Beach la playa más ecológica del mundo - Go Study Australia

which leads to an aboriginal performance inside of the stadium. And then put a cinematic about australian passion for sports while showcasing nature sights of australia like kids runnign near ayers rock, surfin at surfers paradise, playing cricket (a new sport) in a local ground and even rowing at brisbane river or practice boxing while surrounded by cangaroos, or climbing a tree while watched by a koala, and end that sequence with actual brisbane southbank all of that at the rythm of "Land down under" (its overused, yet its more australian than their national anthem) performed by various australians and finish with a flyover around downtown brisbane and voila planes colouring the sky yellow and green over story bridge and queen's wharf while displaying a big "g'day from land down under" along the river or inside SoFi stadium

Consortium Unveils Queen's Wharf Tallest Tower

That's my idea for a brisbane 2032 handover ceremony

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Coming back to the brisbane 2032 handover in LA 28, it may be interesting (no offense to queenslanders) but brisbane nor SEQ have and identity as clear and as defined as some of the recent hosts (London, Rio, Tokyo, Paris, LA, or even as Sidney) and while I know some commenter will come and ctrl+v some random brisbane pictures, I believe it is the cities chance to start defining a new identity, something that had been on my mind for the brisbane games is showing it as a nature paradise, and starting the show with a show depicting the stars and then the southern cross over the SoFi led roof, which then show the commonwealth star and then a ginat australian flag around the roof which links it to their national anthem, after that inside the stadiuma giant projection of the great reef barrier ▷ La Gran Barrera de Coral en Australia | Cómo llegar y qué hacer (2020)

which then turns into whitehaven beach

Whitehaven Beach la playa más ecológica del mundo - Go Study Australia

which leads to an aboriginal performance inside of the stadium. And then put a cinematic about australian passion for sports while showcasing nature sights of australia like kids runnign near ayers rock, surfin at surfers paradise, playing cricket (a new sport) in a local ground and even rowing at brisbane river or practice boxing while surrounded by cangaroos, or climbing a tree while watched by a koala, and end that sequence with actual brisbane southbank all of that at the rythm of "Land down under" (its overused, yet its more australian than their national anthem) performed by various australians and finish with a flyover around downtown brisbane and voila planes colouring the sky yellow and green over story bridge and queen's wharf while displaying a big "g'day from land down under" along the river or inside SoFi stadium

Consortium Unveils Queen's Wharf Tallest Tower

That's my idea for a brisbane 2032 handover ceremony

"Land Down Under" and "Great Southern Land could both be used. Two iconic Aussie songs we all know and love. 

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

NONE of these will be used.  Those COJOs will eventually hire professionals who will come up with original concepts-- not culled from internet armchair Ceremonies-dreamers.  Yeah, I know it's free to dream.  ;)

Noooooo way, are you telling me OC organizers dont really read internet forums to get free amateur daydreaming ideas an instead hire world-class directors to prepare this things? That guy from the flagpoles and choirs must be upset

• Haha 2

On 6/29/2022 at 9:52 PM, Bear said:

someone tell me why the above poster is still here :(

Actually, I read your post and a few others and i want to go, "Clean up on aisle 5, cleanup on aisle 5."

For one thing, for users who complain I post OT, idiotic or irrelevant comments in the "LA 2028 Ceremonies" thread, some of the recent posts above at first made me think I had accidentally stumbled into the 2032 or some other Olympic games' thread. Since open conversations are fine with me, I don't mind comments like those. But some of you, by contrast, complain about posts that in your mind don't fit some narrow definition of on-topic or relevant. Posts which you then might write off as a case of OT, trolling, flame baiting, etc.

So look in the mirror, folks.

BTW, I want the 2028 ceremonies to be themed in a very universal, international way. Although, sure, "LA/Hollywood/USA" can be a part of that,  it should be kept to a minimum. Previous summer games - particularly the last few ones - have really chilled me on overly provincial-local formats.

As for the last time LA hosted the games, if the format used in 1984 had been kept intact for the past almost 40 years, I'd say it was time for a change from that too. But since 1992, organizers have increasingly veered away from that. So 2028 is in a position where the old can become new again. Or back to the future.

On 7/2/2022 at 1:33 AM, Chris_Mex said:

Yeah but as some commenters said in another thread, the current tendency sadly is going for simpler ceremonies, a tendency shown not since tokyo, but since pyeongchang (although the pandemic helped the tendency to continue).

Personally, what you describe as "simpler" has to me been more business-as-usual. The only major difference about Tokyo 2020 (21) was that the stadium didn't have spectators in it. But its overall format and style seemed like a bit of 2016, 2012. 2008. In turn, 2016 seemed like a blur of previous games' ceremonies too.

However, yep, the recent 2 summer games openings/closings weren't as non-simple (or over-the-top) as 2012 was. But I consider that a good thing, not a bad thing.

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

BTW, I want the 2028 ceremonies to be themed in a very universal, international way. Although, sure, "LA/Hollywood/USA" can be a part of that,  it should be kept to a minimum. Previous summer games - particularly the last few ones - have really chilled me on overly provincial-local formats.

how many times are you going to repeat yourself... like we get it, now go say something else that's new :(

• Thanks 1