LA 2028 Ceremonies

@Oly2028.  I just recalled that at the IOC Museum in Lausanne, there is one room devoted to the phenomenon the whole world knows as an Olympic Opening Ceremony.  It is dominated by a giant screen with a 7.5-minute running loop of the greatest Olympic openings!  Yes, there is passing reference to the older, simpler, more stately OCs -- but for the most part the whole mini-documentary pays homage to the unique spectaculars that presage the IOC products.  And if I might proudly say, the Opening of Altanta 1996, yes with the Cirque du Soleil-designed masks and costumes, feature VERY PROMINENTLY in the video.  It gave me a thrill and a wet eye to see the Atlanta opening I participated in, enshrined @ IOC's Museum showcase -- and to be seen by thousands of visitors daily from every corner of the globe.  How can you top that, Oly28?? 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

19 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

In 1996, there were 271 medal events.  The 2024 Olympics has 329 on the schedule.  Is that a serious argument that LA 2028 with 20% more events (not to mention expanded tournaments in some of the team sports and additional sessions for other sports) will fail to top Atlanta because "culture and economy"?  That's completely absurd.  Ticket sales will not be an issue for LA and it's all but a mathematical certainty they'll blow Atlanta's numbers out of the water.

Absolutely LA2028 will absolutely blow Atlanta’s 1996 Olympic ticket sales records of 32 years right out of the water.    Massive public transport New metro train lines being built across LA, new light rail lines, extra sports and venue locations, eg rowing in the heart of Long Beach at the 1932 venue, etc, etc.

From LA Times, 3 Feb 2022 about the Ceremonies

The Olympics Return to L.A. – And Inglewood – for 2028

For the 2028 Summer Olympics, abbreviated as “LA28,” Inglewood’s SoFi Stadium will be renamed as the Los Angeles Olympic Stadium. Home of the NFL’s Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers, it will host an expected 15,000 competitors in the Olympic opening ceremony, alongside the world’s media and a who’s who of international dignitaries. Unlike in 1984, when the Summer Paralympics were not held in the same city as the Olympics, in 2028 Inglewood will host an opening ceremony that encompasses both competitions.

For the 70,000-seat SoFi Stadium, which only opened in 2020, its Olympic and Paralympic role, alongside hosting Super Bowl LVI this year, will seal its status as a state-of-the-art venue equal to any in the world. LA28 will further attract global attention to the surrounding Hollywood Park mixed-use megadevelopment, which also features expansive office, retail, and residential districts. SoFi Stadium will witness competitive action during the 2028 Summer Olympics, too, as planned host of soccer and archery events. With its rabid global audience, soccer in particular will significantly boost worldwide awareness of Inglewood, and SoFi Stadium has also been put forward as a 2026 FIFA World Cup venue.

Meanwhile, the iconic Forum, which reopened following a $100-million refurbishment in 2014, will once again have a part to play in the Olympics, as a host to the always-popular gymnastics events. There are also plans that the Los Angeles Clippers’ new Intuit Dome, currently under construction in Inglewood, will serve as an LA28 venue.

Inglewood 2028
Inglewood’s being chosen to host the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2028 Summer Olympics is evidence of the organizing committee’s faith in the city providing sufficient infrastructure, resources and safety for such logistically challenging and globally scrutinized events. In Inglewood, safety has been a focus for years prior to the games. According to Mayor of Inglewood James T. Butts Jr., the city recently recorded nine consecutive years of the lowest crime rates in its history. Crime declined by a staggering 70% between 1981 and 2016. With Butts’ successful focus on both crime prevention and intervention since taking office in 2011, it appears set to only recede further before the Olympics arrive.

Further bolstering the infrastructure needed for such a large event, L.A. Metro’s K (Crenshaw) Line, which includes a Downtown Inglewood station, is slated to start service in 2022. The city is using this opportunity to enhance its transport system, including identifying transportation strategies specifically for major events such as the Olympics. Central to these will be the planned Inglewood Transit Connector, set for completion in 2026, which will conveniently connect passengers between the K Line and Inglewood’s major activity centers, including its Olympic venues.

The 1.6-mile people mover system will be electrically powered, automated, and fully elevated for minimum disruption to residents and existing infrastructure. With stations planned for Market Street/Florence Avenue, Prairie Avenue/Pincay Drive (adjacent to SoFi Stadium and the Forum), and Prairie Avenue/Hardy Street (abutting the southern portion of Hollywood Park) it will serve locals and visitors alike, while completing Inglewood as a world-class sports and entertainment destination. By reducing traffic and emissions, the Inglewood Transit Connector will also improve air quality and ease congestion.

The 2028 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games will be among the crowning achievements of Inglewood’s epic renaissance under the city’s leadership, and one in a string of prestigious events, including Super Bowl LVI and WrestleMania 2023, that parade the city on the world stage as a thriving entertainment epicenter.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And if I might proudly say, the Opening of Altanta 1996, yes with the Cirque du Soleil-designed masks and costumes, feature VERY PROMINENTLY in the video.  It gave me a thrill and a wet eye to see the Atlanta opening I participated in, enshrined @ IOC's Museum showcase -- and to be seen by thousands of visitors daily from every corner of the globe.  How can you top that, Oly28?? 

A ceremony, by the way, that was produced by a guy closely associated with, and based in, LA. So I feel "LA" has to take some blame for 1996. I say blame because I personally didn't care for Don Mischer's opening/closing.

However, Atlanta 1996 met 2 of 3 goals of an organizing committee.

Attendance was excellent (goal 1), the budget was kept in check (goal 2), but the organizational aspects (goal 3) were weak. Transportation snafus may be the most cited weakness of 1996. But to observers based thousands of miles away, they come off as big deal.

Other people may point to the bombing in the park. I don't since that was outside the control of the 1996 OOC.

Things like 1996's logo, mascot, banners, etc, round out the third category.

Various Olympic street banners had corporate logos displayed on them. Not good.

Given all of this, I think if the opening and closing ceremonies had been better managed, the summer games of 1996 - the Centennial Olympics - would have achieved a hat trick.

23 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

In 1996, there were 271 medal events.  The 2024 Olympics has 329 on the schedule.  Is that a serious argument that LA 2028 with 20% more events (not to mention expanded tournaments in some of the team sports and additional sessions for other sports) will fail to top Atlanta because "culture and economy"?  That's completely absurd.  Ticket sales will not be an issue for LA and it's all but a mathematical certainty they'll blow Atlanta's numbers out of the water.

Weren't there more events at the 2012 games in London? Although those summer games had better attendance figures than almost any other Olympics, they didn't surpass 1996.

The East Coast combined with the Southeast of the US is a population power house. Look at the sales/attendance figures for the amusement parks in Florida. The Olympics is sort of an athletic version of a theme park.

3 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

For the 2028 Summer Olympics, abbreviated as “LA28,” Inglewood’s SoFi Stadium will be renamed as the Los Angeles Olympic Stadium.

I have a strong hunch that SoFi will illustrate the idea that money doesn't buy everything. Or a variation of "knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing."

19 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

A ceremony, by the way, that was produced by a guy closely associated with, and based in, LA. So I feel "LA" has to take some blame for 1996. I say blame because I personally didn't care for Don Mischer's opening/closing.

However, Atlanta 1996 met 2 of 3 goals of an organizing committee.

Attendance was excellent (goal 1), the budget was kept in check (goal 2), but the organizational aspects (goal 3) were weak. Transportation snafus may be the most cited weakness of 1996. But to observers based thousands of miles away, they come off as big deal.

Other people may point to the bombing in the park. I don't since that was outside the control of the 1996 OOC.

Things like 1996's logo, mascot, banners, etc, round out the third category.

Various Olympic street banners had corporate logos displayed on them. Not good.

Given all of this, I think if the opening and closing ceremonies had been better managed, the summer games of 1996 - the Centennial Olympics - would have achieved a hat trick.

That's one UNKNOWN internet poster's opinion.  But the IOC MUseum in Laursanne -- the fountainhead of all things OLYMPIC and that which casual Olympic watchers will take home with them -- are the glories of the Atlanta 1996 CENTENNIAL Ceremonies -- no matter what naysayers may say! 
Go to Lausanne and see it where they're honored!  That's really all that matters!!  :P

13 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

That's one UNKNOWN internet poster's opinion. 

People like Sebastian Coe or Billy Payne, etc, are very well-known figures in their communities. Or they're quite well known in their social circles, elite or otherwise.

I'm sure a lot of the people managing 2020 or 2016, etc, are highly regarded in Tokyo or Rio.

That's why an Olympic games (other things too) often end up being a crapshoot.

Throw in people's personal tastes and personal preferences, and - unlike specific determinants in an Olympics event (such as seconds on a timer) - it's almost sheer luck when things aren't screwed up.

30 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Weren't there more events at the 2012 games in London? Although those summer games had better attendance figures than almost any other Olympics, they didn't surpass 1996.

The 1994 World Cup still holds the record for the highest attendance in the event's history and that was the last World Cup before they expanded from 24 to 32 teams.  Attendance at a big event in the United States is not in question, which bolsters Atlanta's basis of high attendance.  Didn't hurt that gymnastics and a lot of the basketball was at the Georgia Dome, so that sold them a lot of tickets.  You were the one who made the case that LA wouldn't top Atlanta, so invoking London is not exactly making a strong case for you here.

34 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

The East Coast combined with the Southeast of the US is a population power house. Look at the sales/attendance figures for the amusement parks in Florida. The Olympics is sort of an athletic version of a theme park.

What in the actual **** is a "population power house"?  Let alone that you need to include the East Coast there to try and make that point.  Do you know how many people live in southern California?  Didn't exactly seem to have trouble filling up the Rose Bowl for soccer matches at a time when this country didn't care much about the sport.

If you want to roll with an analogy to amusement parks, go right ahead.  But if you're going to do that, remind me where Disneyland is?  Speaking of notable amusement parks

3 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

People like Sebastian Coe or Billy Payne, etc, are very well-known figures in their communities. Or they're quite well known in their social circles, elite or otherwise.

I'm sure a lot of the people managing 2020 or 2016, etc, are highly regarded in Tokyo or Rio.

That's why an Olympic games (other things too) often end up being a crapshoot.

Throw in people's personal tastes and personal preferences, and - unlike specific determinants in an Olympics event (such as seconds on a timer) - it's almost sheer luck when things aren't screwed up.

You have a vastly different opinion on "screwed up" than most of us here.  You're not the ultimate judge of that and when your opinion is the Atlanta Olympics weren't as good as they could have been because the person behind the ceremonies was too "LA," it becomes increasingly difficult to take anything you say at face value.

4 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

You were the one who made the case that LA wouldn't top Atlanta, so invoking London is not exactly making a strong case for you here.

If you want to roll with an analogy to amusement parks, go right ahead.  But if you're going to do that, remind me where Disneyland is?  Speaking of notable amusement parks

I mentioned a summer games where there were more events than in 1996. So the assumption that a summer games of today will necessarily outdo summer games of years ago because of the number of events isn't backed up by London.

As for theme parks in California as compared with such facilities in Florida, the market - based on attendance figures - is bigger on the East Coast than it is on the West Coast. More people live east of the Mississippi than west of it.

5 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

You have a vastly different opinion on "screwed up" than most of us here.  You're not the ultimate judge of that and when your opinion is the Atlanta Olympics weren't as good as they could have been because the person behind the ceremonies was too "LA," it becomes increasingly difficult to take anything you say at face value.

Then give us your theories on why the Centennial Olympics weren't more positively rated or held in higher regard. I've given my theories.

As for 1996's Don Mischner, along with my previous post, I never wrote off 1996 as being too "LA." I said that reliable judgment and good decisions can be a total crapshoot, at anytime, anyplace, for any person, any event, any occasion. 

9 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I mentioned a summer games where there were more events than in 1996. So the assumption that a summer games of today will necessarily outdo summer games of years ago because of the number of events isn't backed up by London.

As for theme parks in California as compared with such facilities in Florida, the market - based on attendance figures - is bigger on the East Coast than it is on the West Coast. More people live east of the Mississippi than west of it.

Your assumption is that LA 2028 will fail to out-draw Atlanta 1996.  You cite "culture and economy" with a very vague and generic stroke.  LA is not going to have any issues whatsoever getting people to buy tickets and I don't know why you're trying to make an argument that they will other than some anti-LA bias you're stuck in for some odd reason

5 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Then give us your theories on why the Centennial Olympics weren't more positively rated or held in higher regard. I've given my theories.

As for 1996's Don Mischner, along with my previous post, I never wrote off 1996 as being too "LA." I said that reliable judgment and good decisions can be a total crapshoot, at anytime, anyplace, for any person, any event, any occasion. 

Look in a mirror, buddy.  You're not one to talk about judgements and good decisions.  You just want everyone to agree with you and for some reason get upset when people don't want to hear your constant ramblings about what you personally think is appropriate for an event followed by literally billions of people.

As for Altanta, you mentioned transportation issues (as reported by people on the ground, not the opinions of those from afar).  The level of commercialization was irksome to many, that's well-noted.  You seem to want to gloss over the Olympic Park bombing, but that severely harms the legacy as well.  These are not solely my opinions, but really generally held views of these Olympics. 

It's somewhat unfortunate for them that they came just 12 years after a highly successful Los Angeles Olympics which helped turn the tide of the Olympic movement.  So Atlanta a high standard to shoot for with an Olympics that was probably too soon to return to the United States, but Athens wasn't ready for them yet.

Either way, very little of the legacy of the `96 games is based on their ceremonies.  I get that this is a ceremonies topic and we're focused on that, but let's not make more out of it than need be

7 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Look in a mirror, buddy.  You're not one to talk about judgements and good decisions.  You just want everyone to agree with you and for some reason get upset when people don't want to hear your constant ramblings about what you personally think is appropriate for an event followed by literally billions of people.

I'm not the one who gets way too defensive ("look in the...buddy", "constant ramblings") towards opinions that are different from mine.

Although I prefer my opinion to be shared by others, I'm not going to get bent out of shape if people disagree. Or what's known as "cancel culture."

As for the 1996 games, what occurred there and at that time had nothing to do with a games in 1984 or a games in Athens, etc. Each Olympics sets its own unique tone or what can be called fingerprint.

You think the bombing in the park is why the 1996 games weren't rated more positively. I disagree. Or I'll say that if the 3 major goals of any organizing committee had been better handled, that would have offset the crime. Hell, if even the creation of the mascot Izzy hadn't been a case of "WTF?!" judgment, that would have helped.

42 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

"Culture" in regards to the Olympics losing some public interest over the past few decades and "economy" in terms of the market potential of the Southwest compared with the Southeast.

The Olympics have lost some steam when it has come to TV viewership, but that's literally everything on television as entertainment has become more fragmented.  By contrast though, for all the talk about "baseball is losing viewers" and how the sport isn't as popular as it once was, the Dodgers continue to be one of the top teams in terms of attendance in all of MLB and the Angels are way up there as well.  You're trying to make an unrelated point about amusement parks as a point of comparison, but you're making a baseless point about market potential.  Here's actual data for you..

GDP by State 2022

California is far and away the leader there.  Their GDP far out-paces most of the Southeast, so I don't know where you think that the economy of the Southwest is some sort of issue that you need to bring up in the context of selling tickets to the Olympics

39 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I'm not the one who gets way too defensive ("look in the...buddy", "constant ramblings") towards opinions that are different from mine.

Although I prefer my opinion to be shared by others, I'm not going to get bent out of shape if people disagree. Or what's known as "cancel culture."

As for the 1996 games, what occurred there and at that time had nothing to do with a games in 1984 or a games in Athens, etc. Each Olympics sets its own unique tone or what can be called fingerprint.

You think the bombing in the park is why the 1996 games weren't rated more positively. I disagree. Or I'll say that if the 3 major goals of any organizing committee had been better handled, that would have offset the crime. Hell, if even the creation of the mascot Izzy hadn't been a case of "WTF?!" judgment, that would have helped.

You clearly do though.  If you didn't you wouldn't feel this incessant need to repeat your points over and over again.  Or crow about how uninteresting this thread was until you started dropping post after post to hammer home your personal opinion.  As a number of people have said to you.. it's fine that you have such a strong opinion about things, but realize that you're in the minority and that whether or not something is good as perceived by a larger audience may diverge from your personal tastes and opinions.

Case in point.. no, that the `96 Olympics are viewed more negatively is not *my* opinion.  It's a widely held view that a more general sect of the audience would agree with.  You're allowed to disagree with it, but that doesn't change the notion that the bombing hurt those Olympics.  The "3 major goals" concept is one of your creation.  Again, you want to view these things through your personal lens and discuss them as a function of your opinion.  Here's a suggestion.. don't do that.  What you do or don't want to see at the LA 2028 Ceremonies is not how history will judge them.  It's only how you'll judge them.  And it's been established that yours is a minority opinion.  If you want to continue to bemoan how ceremonies were better 60 years ago, that's fine.  But for the umpteenth time, these ceremonies are for everyone.  Not just to suit your personal tastes and preferences.

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I have a strong hunch that SoFi will illustrate the idea that money doesn't buy everything. Or a variation of "knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing."

You have your doubts on SoFi Stadium  as an Olympic Ceremony venue.  You’re entitled to your opinion.

I suggest you watch the complete Opening Ceremony on 21 July 2028 and you will see a stunning, reimagined “third home-coming” of the Olympic Games to Los Angeles at the unique SoFi Stadium.  

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

You clearly do though.  If you didn't you wouldn't feel this incessant need to repeat your points over and over again.  Or crow about how uninteresting this thread was until you started dropping post after post to hammer home your personal opinion.  As a number of people have said to you.. it's fine that you have such a strong opinion about things, but realize that you're in the minority and that whether or not something is good as perceived by a larger audience may diverge from your personal tastes and opinions.

Isn't this a message forum to discuss the topic of "Olympics" and in this particular thread, the ceremonies of the 2028 games? Now if you like an echo forum, fine. But if everyone is agreeing with one another all the time, that makes for a dull conversation.

Even when I was posting comments about what I'd like to see in a Olympics opening/closing, and using examples, some users resented that. So what is it? Talk about what a person likes in the games? Talk about what I don't like? Talk about what I had for breakfast?

Keep in mind that this forum doesn't attract a lot of users and most threads in it aren't all that active.

4 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

But if actually watching whatever occurs in 2028 is the criteria for this thread, then it won't serve any purpose for the next 6 years.

Despite your reservations, on 21 July 2028, you will along with the rest of us, witness a stunning, reimagined “third home-coming” of the Olympic Games to Los Angeles at the unique SoFi Stadium.  

4 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Isn't this a message forum to discuss the topic of "Olympics" and in this particular thread, the ceremonies of the 2028 games? Now if you like an echo forum, fine. But if everyone is agreeing with one another all the time, that makes for a dull conversation.

Even when I was posting comments about what I'd like to see in a Olympics opening/closing, and using examples, some users resented that. So what is it? Talk about what a person likes in the games? Talk about what I don't like? Talk about what I had for breakfast?

Keep in mind that this forum doesn't attract a lot of users and most threads in it aren't all that active.

I still can't tell if you're intentionally this obtuse if it you're trolling.  Probably a little of both.

No one minds someone who posts what they'd like to see in an Olympic opening/closing.  People minds when that same person continues to post over and over again, especially when it's reveal "you know, I don't really even watch all of the ceremonies, just parts of them."

I know this is going to be a crazy concept to you.. you need not post all the time just to share whatever inane thoughts you have.  This is a forum about Olympic games bidding.  Of course it's not going to be that active.  Your spam posting and "me me me, here's what I want, I NEED TO KEEP TELLING YOU WHAT I WANT" is not making these forums better.

• Thanks 1