LA 2028 Ceremonies

9 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Are you kidding? You do realize that the opening/closing of the 2028 games is listed as being at SoFi Stadium? So the way it presented itself during the Super Bowl several weeks ago sure as hell has a lot of relevancy to the summer Olympics after Paris 2024.

:(

• there's a gap of over 6 years between the super bowl and the 2028 games
  • the halftime show team has only a few minutes to transform the stadium into halftime mode, while the Olympic opening ceremony team has MONTHS to transform the stadium into ceremony mode (with some work even taking place in the year leading up to the Games)
  • the halftime show is like 15 minutes - an Olympic opening ceremony is nearly (or in Sydney / Beijing's case, over) 4 hours.
  • a halftime show concept is developed in less than a year - the concept for all four olympic / paralympic ceremonies is developed in a time span of over two years, or maybe even more
  • a halftime show's purpose is to purely entertain - an olympic ceremony's purpose is more in depth, and ranges from each host (for example, Beijing 2008 was to show the "new" China and to prove its status on the world stage. Rio 2016 was to show the history of Brazil, and warn about a dangerous future if we continue with our current ways)
  • The LA of 2022 will very much not be the same as the LA of 2028, a lot will change in these next 6 years and so will our way of expressing ourselves

there's probably more points out there, but this is what i was able to come up with for now

2 hours ago, Bear said:

:(

• there's a gap of over 6 years between the super bowl and the 2028 games
  • the halftime show team has only a few minutes to transform the stadium into halftime mode, while the Olympic opening ceremony team has MONTHS to transform the stadium into ceremony mode (with some work even taking place in the year leading up to the Games)
  • the halftime show is like 15 minutes - an Olympic opening ceremony is nearly (or in Sydney / Beijing's case, over) 4 hours.
  • a halftime show concept is developed in less than a year - the concept for all four olympic / paralympic ceremonies is developed in a time span of over two years, or maybe even more
  • a halftime show's purpose is to purely entertain - an olympic ceremony's purpose is more in depth, and ranges from each host (for example, Beijing 2008 was to show the "new" China and to prove its status on the world stage. Rio 2016 was to show the history of Brazil, and warn about a dangerous future if we continue with our current ways)
  • The LA of 2022 will very much not be the same as the LA of 2028, a lot will change in these next 6 years and so will our way of expressing ourselves

there's probably more points out there, but this is what i was able to come up with for now

Here are some other key points

The Super Bowl halftime show is NOT produced or organizer by the host city.  They have little to no input on the performers or the content.  Rarely is there any real effort to tailor the show to where they are.

The Super Bowl LVI show was a collaboration of Jay-Z, Roc Nation, and the NFL Network.  Before that, for many years, it was the product of White Cherry Entertainment.  Long gone are the days where the production company changed from year to year and more themed halftime shows were the norm.

Also worth noting - and I'm betting Olympics2028 will be curious to know this fact and have some commentary on it - is that the director of the last handful of halftime shows was Hamish Hamilton.  Who is British.  And who directed, among other things, the opening and closing ceremonies from the 2012 Olympics.  He also did the 2020 Olympics as well.

Bottom line on all this, and Olympics2028 I'm looking squarely in your direction on this one.. what we saw during the Super Bowl has zero relation to what we'll see at the Olympics other than the fact they're in the same stadium.  So no, there is no relevancy to talk about the show itself, the content or the performances as any sort of indication of what the ceremonies in 2028 might look like.  Completely different shows with different people involved.  If it comes to pass that some of the folks involved with the 2028 ceremonies also worked on the Super Bowl LVI halftime show, then you may have a point.  But that's unlikely to happen.  And I think you know that, but still want to keep your narrative going so you can keep bellyaching about what you don't like.

^ I wasn't being literal literal, but more figurative figurative.

At the very least, the look and tone of SoFi Stadium can't change all that much. That's true whether it's used for a 2022 Super Bowl halftime or 2028 Olympic ceremony.  Or it can't change in the way I'd want it to.

Now if the canopy can be ripped down and that huge message board temporarily removed, fine. But I seriously doubt that can be done.

Also, a segment of the 2012 ceremony was very reminiscent to me of most of the Super Bowl halftime show.

When I was theorizing about the way that even rap and hip hop can be made to fit an Olympics opening/closing, I didn't realize (or had forgotten) that type of music had already been performed in London and Rio. So applying that type of presentation to an Olympics ceremony isn't a case of being theoretical.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Completely different shows with different people involved.  If it comes to pass that some of the folks involved with the 2028 ceremonies also worked on the Super Bowl LVI halftime show, then you may have a point.  But that's unlikely to happen.

How do you know that?

A major figure in Los Angeles/Hollywood circles, well known for doing award shows or variety entertainment, was hired by the 1996 OOC to handle their opening/closing.

A guy from Australia associated with various Olympic games over the past 20 years was a part of the 1984 games.

If anything, the entire world of "ceremony" - which is closely tied to entertainment in general - seems like one big family.

51 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

^ I wasn't being literal literal, but more figurative figurative.

At the very least, the look and tone of SoFi Stadium can't change all that much. That's true whether it's used for a 2022 Super Bowl halftime or 2028 Olympic ceremony.  Or it can't change in the way I'd want it to.

Now if the canopy can be ripped down and that huge message board temporarily removed, fine. But I seriously doubt that can be done.

Also, a segment of the 2012 ceremony was very reminiscent to me of most of the Super Bowl halftime show.

When I was theorizing about the way that even rap and hip hop can be made to fit an Olympics opening/closing, I didn't realize (or had forgotten) that type of music had already been performed in London and Rio. So applying that type of presentation to an Olympics ceremony isn't a case of being theoretical.

If the discussion is about what SoFi is or isn't (or what you wish it would be), that's all well and good.  But you've made your point on that one.  You don't need to continue repeating the same point as if we've forgotten that you don't think SoFi is a good venue for an Olympics opening/closing ceremony.

A little confused about the 2nd part of that though.  You said you're reminded of a segment from 2012 but didn't remember what was in that ceremony?  These are really broad generalizations here.  It's almost like saying "there was music at the Super Bowl halftime show, so that reminds me of the 2012 ceremonies, which also had music." 

50 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

How do you know that?

A major figure in Los Angeles/Hollywood circles, well known for doing award shows or variety entertainment, was hired by the 1996 OOC to handle their opening/closing.

A guy from Australia associated with various Olympic games over the past 20 years was a part of the 1984 games.

If anything, the entire world of "ceremony" - which is closely tied to entertainment in general - seems like one big family.

Speaking of bad generalizations.  No, it's not.  I can't imagine too many people would throw a blanket over the concept of "ceremony" and say it's all 1 big family.

Yes, Don Mischer (he has a name) and his production company have done a number of events.  But you continue to make the assumption that if someone does 1 show, then the expectation is for other shows from that same person to be similar.  That's unlikely to be the case.

We don't know who will or won't be involved with the ceremonies in 2028.  When we find out who those people are, then we can bring up their styles and tendencies.  But even then, to say that someone put a certain element in 1 show is no implication they'll put it in another.  A Super Bowl halftime show (notice the lack of the word "ceremony" there) is not the same as an Olympic ceremony which is not the same as an awards show (yes, there it's called a ceremony).  Either way, to talk about what was in this year's halftime show as any indication of what we might see in 2028 is a real stretch and ignore everything about what makes them different events and not one big family that can be described as "ceremony."  Once again, I'm pretty sure you know that, but you're still trying to use it as a counter-argument to harp on the Super Bowl, for no other reason seemingly than because of the venue

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

How would you know? You don’t watch them.

All books have pages and words and chapters. And a lot of them are published by the same publishers. I guess they’re all the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

You said you're reminded of a segment from 2012 but didn't remember what was in that ceremony?  These are really broad generalizations here.  It's almost like saying "there was music at the Super Bowl halftime show, so that reminds me of the 2012 ceremonies, which also had music." 

I watched a segment of 2012 posted to Youtube that had some rap/hip hop music. I don't recall seeing that before. It was a part of the music tributes that kept going on and on during both the opening and closing of 2012's Olympics.

The 2022 Super Bowl halftime was limited to rap/hip hop. But both the 2012 and 2016 ceremonies had moments that weren't all that different.

18 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

You do realize that segments of all Olympic ceremonies, both openings and closings, from at least 1988 are posted to the IOC's official Youtube channel?

yet you still wont bother to watch the ceremonies... :(

21 minutes ago, Bear said:

yet you still wont bother to watch the ceremonies... :(

I admit to not watching most hours/minutes of them, but I do view segments of them. I'm mainly interested in how each OOC (and their producer/staff) handles Olympic customs or traditions. Or doesn't follow them.

I realize that openings/closings of Olympic games are influenced by the audience that advertisers most desire. So the IOC and OOCs are influenced accordingly. I'm not in that prime demographic, so I realize my tastes and interests are different from those of the IOC's/advertisers' prized viewing audience.

44 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I watched a segment of 2012 posted to Youtube that had some rap/hip hop music. I don't recall seeing that before. It was a part of the music tributes that kept going on and on during both the opening and closing of 2012's Olympics.

The 2022 Super Bowl halftime was limited to rap/hip hop. But both the 2012 and 2016 ceremonies had moments that weren't all that different.

42 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

You do realize that segments of all Olympic ceremonies, both openings and closings, from at least 1988 are posted to the IOC's official Youtube channel?

We realize that.  Do YOU realize that?  I still find it hard to believe that you are suddenly discovering things in ceremonies you have such strong opinions about that you claim you've never seen before.  How is it that you haven't seen all of the London opening ceremony in the decade since it happened?  Kinda feels a little like we're being trolled.

You're still not making much of a distinction between the Super Bowl halftime, which is traditionally 15 minutes of nothing but musical performances and a 4 hour long Olympics opening ceremony that is a lot more than a couple of musical performances.  So to recap here.. the 2022 Super Bowl halftime had rap/hip hop.  And the 2012 ceremonies had some rap/hip hop.  What's the point you're trying to make here?

30 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I admit to not watching most hours/minutes of them, but I do view segments of them. I'm mainly interested in how each OOC (and their producer/staff) handles Olympic customs or traditions. Or doesn't follow them.

I realize that openings/closings of Olympic games are influenced by the audience that advertisers most desire. So the IOC and OOCs are influenced accordingly. I'm not in that prime demographic, so I realize my tastes and interests are different from those of the IOC's/advertisers' prized viewing audience.

What Rols said.  You tell us interested in the intricacies of the ceremonies, but then tell us that for some reason you can't be bothered to watch the entire thing.  That's the equivalent of a movie reviewer who goes to the DVD and only watches certain scenes, but not the whole movie and then wants to offer up his opinion as if he saw the whole thing.

A reminder again that you're in a community that is really passionate about Olympics ceremonies.  There's a grand total of 2 of them every 2 years, each one only a few hours.  Not exactly a ton of content to be familiar with.  Maybe check some of those out and then comment on what you think to a crowd of people that has seen them all.  In full

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

What Rols said.  You tell us interested in the intricacies of the ceremonies, but then tell us that for some reason you can't be bothered to watch the entire thing.  That's the equivalent of a movie reviewer who goes to the DVD and only watches certain scenes, but not the whole movie and then wants to offer up his opinion as if he saw the whole thing.

A reminder again that you're in a community that is really passionate about Olympics ceremonies.  There's a grand total of 2 of them every 2 years, each one only a few hours.  Not exactly a ton of content to be familiar with.  Maybe check some of those out and then comment on what you think to a crowd of people that has seen them all.  In full

Probably lying about not having watched them though

On 4/7/2022 at 9:14 PM, Quaker2001 said:

You tell us interested in the intricacies of the ceremonies, but then tell us that for some reason you can't be bothered to watch the entire thing. 

You do realize that certain customs or traditions of "Olympic ceremony" (which may or may no longer exist) involve only a few segments? For instance, the release of pigeons, which was common years ago. Now it's merely implied or totally ignored.

Regardless, that portion of any opening lasts only a few seconds.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:25 PM, Sir Rols said:

Which makes your views mostly invalid then.

Fair enough. Now instead of focusing on my opinion, how about this thread return to the topic of "LA 2028 Ceremonies?"

Maybe you're more into "TOS" or "Psychology 101," but for this message board, I have to admit I'm not.

This thread until earlier this year was dormant dating back to 2019.

I've given examples of and comments about what I'd like to see or not see for "LA 2028 Ceremonies," That to me is way more interesting or relevant than "TOS" or "Personalities of Gamesbid.com Forum Users."

54 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

You do realize that certain customs or traditions of "Olympic ceremony" (which may or may no longer exist) involve only a few segments? For instance, the release of pigeons, which was common years ago. Now it's merely implied or totally ignored.

Regardless, that portion of any opening lasts only a few seconds.

Of course I realize that. Unlike you, I'm familiar with the entire ceremony. Do you know why they don't release doves anymore? Or did you not watch the segment that largely put an end to that tradition? 

You said you want organizers of the 2028 ceremonies to see this thread and gain input from it. They're not going to want to do that from the kid giving his book report having only read the cliff notes

Again, if you're going to bring up the doves, don't make the point as if you assume we're less familiar with the history than you are. The people putting together the show for 2028 are likely familiar with *all* of the segments. Not just the ones they chose to watch while ignoring all the rest

2 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Of course I realize that. Unlike you, I'm familiar with the entire ceremony. Do you know why they don't release doves anymore? Or did you not watch the segment that largely put an end to that tradition? 

I thought it ended with the pigeon-barbecue segment at the 1988 summer games in Seoul. But I saw a clip of the 1992 games and noticed that pigeons were still released in Barcelona.

If organized properly, no reason that tradition can't be brought back. I'd rather they do that than, for example, have kids running into a stadium carrying large props made to look like birds.

That loses something in translation.

4 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I thought it ended with the pigeon-barbecue segment at the 1988 summer games in Seoul. But I saw a clip of the 1992 games and noticed that pigeons were still released in Barcelona.

If organized properly, no reason that tradition can't be brought back. I'd rather they do that than, for example, have kids running into a stadium carrying large props made to look like birds.

That loses something in translation.

You are correct. There were doves released in 1992, but it was done away from the cauldron, lest they risk one getting hit by a flaming arrow. Can you imagine what social media would have done to the organizers in 1988 if people could react in real time to a bunch of doves being literally roasted alive?  That would be a really bad look

Maybe you're right that it loses something in translation for this to be a more symbolic gesture than one with live animals. But I can understand why they moved away from that, horrific visual of an incident or otherwise. The "if organized properly" part of it really doesn't carry much weight anymore

53 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

How should the closing of the 2028 games be done? Or what should they evoke?

This probably cost the 1972 OOC a few thousand dollars to present. But the last segment of the Sapporo winter games' closing to me is more so-called charming than more recent overdone, over-stuffed Olympic ceremony spectacles have become:

Notice that a choir is performing a composition with the lyrics of "sayonara" in it:

(sigh) You need to get out of this mindset that what worked half a century ago should be the template for what to do now. We know that's what you want. But you fail to understand the notion of how people consume the ceremonies now than they did in the 1970s. You can wax nostalgic all you want about the good old days. It just doesn't sell to a much younger generation. You can bemoan that all you want, but that's what the 2028 ceremonies organizers need to consider. Not what 1 random contrarian in an internet forum thinks would suit his tastes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1