LA 2028 Ceremonies

13 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

The flagpoles.. seriously?  There might not be another person on the planet who thinks that's something worth thinking about.

The doves are a relic of the past.  Watch animal rights groups get in a tizzy if that's suggsted.  Not worth the trouble.

The Olympic Hymn isn't herioc enough for you?  LOL

And Bear said it well.. if a choir makes sense, then sure.  It is not a "need"

Not to rehash what Rols said, but you could be a lot more well-received here if you didn't come off as some sort of spamming troll.  Having a strong opinion about something like flagpoles all well and good.  But try engaging in discussion rather than just making the same point over and over again and then dropping YouTube clips as if we have enough time on our hands to indulge your whims

What's known as so-called etiquette involves a person not being required to say, for example, "Thank You." Or, after someone sneezes, "gesundheit." But it's a courtesy. Following unwritten rules is a response that's appreciated.

The trappings of an Olympic games are similar to the same thing. That includes how the Olympic flag is presented, etc.

If you listen to the traditional hymn written by Spyridon Samaras, performed at every summer/winter games, you'll notice that the music director at the 1984 games fine-tuned the last segment of it. The original version doesn't end with a heroic flourish. In 1984, the hymn was tweaked.

Maybe because just about all the active users of this forum have been around for years, the topic of the Olympics is worn out. Or talking about "Olympics" comes off as dull or tedious.

If gamesbid.com's forum were being posted to by hundreds of people per day, and following threads and conversations was an obstacle course, then I could understand why writing about other posters, or focusing on one another's idiosyncrasies, would come up. 

This thread in particular was inactive until just a few months ago. I noticed no one since 2019 bothered to talk about "2028 Ceremonies."

If I had barged into the middle of a very active thread, and postings here were full of other users' conversations, then my inserting comments/videos into the middle of that would understandably annoy those users.

Again, this thread was lifeless until just a few months ago.

2 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

This thread in particular was inactive until just a few months ago. I noticed no one since 2019 bothered to talk about "2028 Ceremonies."

maybe because the ceremonies are in six years, there's still another two Olympics ahead of us, and there's no creative team or plan and place, so there's nothing to talk or speculate on...

Not only that, but if this website was called Games"ceremonies".com instead of Games*Bids*.com, then maybe they'd have a point. But considering the ceremonies themselves are really just the icing on the cake for the Games themselves, musing too much over them in general seems counter-productive anyway. Just wait & sit back for the final product.

51 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

What's known as so-called etiquette involves a person not being required to say, for example, "Thank You." Or, after someone sneezes, "gesundheit." But it's a courtesy. Following unwritten rules is a response that's appreciated.

The trappings of an Olympic games are similar to the same thing. That includes how the Olympic flag is presented, etc.

If you listen to the traditional hymn written by Spyridon Samaras, performed at every summer/winter games, you'll notice that the music director at the 1984 games fine-tuned the last segment of it. The original version doesn't end with a heroic flourish. In 1984, the hymn was tweaked.

I find it interesting and ironic how you're talking about following unwritten rules, but then in the next breath, say how it's acceptable to bend those rules if someone wants to.  Notice how it only seems to be acceptable though if you agree with the decision.  Yet again.. nothing wrong here with having personal preferences.  But be careful to draw a line in the sand between those preferences and who you perceive as right/wrong for the entire audience.

@Oly 2028

Musical director John Williams looked different in his 3 US Olympic appearances.  He somehow looked older in each succeeding one.  WHY?  Do you think there was an error on the part of the TV make-up persons?   :angry: Did working on Star Wars, the Indiana Jones series and the Jurrasaic World series tire him out for his Olympic gigs?  

DISCUSS!!  :wacko:

15 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

The last daytime ceremony was Nagano in 1998 and that was for the benefit of American TV.  Ditto with Seoul in 1988.  Sunshine is friendlier for the crowd in the stands.  But this is very much a TV event those days.  The visuals look better at night which is why nearly every ceremony in the last 35 years has been after dark.  Bear makes a good point that the 2028 opening will likely start during the day to suit NBC.  It will without the slightest doubt end after sunset.  The visual from 1984 of the flame making its way up to the cauldron would have been 100 times more dramatic if it was dark out.  The flaming arrow in Barcelona.  Cathy Freeman in Sydney.  Li Ning in Beijing.  All work so much better at night.  We may never see a daytime ceremony again in our lifetimes.

I agree.

On Opening Ceremony day, Friday 21 July 2028, sunset in Los Angeles will be at 8.01pm, according to Time and Date.com - Los Angeles.

‘Astronomical Twilight’ ends at 9.40pm on that date.

So, not sure the exact when the Opening Ceremony will start but 8pm seems to be the most common start time of Opening Ceremonies.  

So, it will be twilight if the Ceremony kicks off at 8pm at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum with the Olympic Torch relay making an appearance and then moves to SoFi Stadium in Inglewood for the main parts of the Opening Ceremony including the Parade of Nations, Flag raisings and Cauldron lighting, as the LA2028 team previously indicated in their video.

Dual Stadium Concept for the Opening Ceremony

To recap on the dual stadium plan for the 2028 Opening Ceremony, here is the LA2028 concept video:

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Maybe because just about all the active users of this forum have been around for years, the topic of the Olympics is worn out. Or talking about "Olympics" comes off as dull or tedious.

If gamesbid.com's forum were being posted to by hundreds of people per day, and following threads and conversations was an obstacle course, then I could understand why writing about other posters, or focusing on one another's idiosyncrasies, would come up. 

If I had barged into the middle of a very active thread, and postings here were full of other users' conversations, then my inserting comments/videos into the middle of that would understandably annoy those users.

Quality is not the same as quantity.  You didn't add life to this thread.  Posting dozens of YouTube clips isn't making this thread better.  It's just making it longer.  And again, love the irony that your opening salvo was "Gamesbids forums are way too busy" but yet you want credit for all of your spam posting here.  Yea, no one had posted in here since 2019.  Maybe there's a reason for that.

12 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

I agree.

On Opening Ceremony day, Friday 21 July 2028, sunset in Los Angeles will be at 8.01pm, according to Time and Date.com - Los Angeles.

‘Astronomical Twilight’ ends at 9.40pm on that date.

So, not sure the exact when the Opening Ceremony will start but 8pm seems to be the most common start time of Opening Ceremonies.  

So, it will be twilight if the Ceremony kicks off at 8pm at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum with the Olympic Torch relay making an appearance and then moves to SoFi Stadium in Inglewood for the main parts of the Opening Ceremony including the Parade of Nations, Flag raisings and Cauldron lighting, as the LA2028 team previously indicated in their video.

The timing for the ceremony will be for the benefit of NBC, which means a preference towards what makes sense for the East coast (as it often is with sports start times in the United States).  That likely means a 5pm local start time so it's 8pm on the East coast.  That likely means it'll get dark towards the end of the ceremony, in time for the cauldron lighting.  There's no way the ceremony will start at 8pm local, meaning it wouldn't finish until around 3am on the East coast

1 minute ago, Quaker2001 said:

The timing for the ceremony will be for the benefit of NBC, which means a preference towards what makes sense for the East coast (as it often is with sports start times in the United States).  That likely means a 5pm local start time so it's 8pm on the East coast.  That likely means it'll get dark towards the end of the ceremony, in time for the cauldron lighting.  There's no way the ceremony will start at 8pm local, meaning it wouldn't finish until around 3am on the East coast

True.

… and yes, the 1984 LA Opening Ceremony started at 5pm

2 hours ago, FYI said:

Not only that, but if this website was called Games"ceremonies".com instead of Games*Bids*.com, then maybe they'd have a point. But considering the ceremonies themselves are really just the icing on the cake for the Games themselves, musing too much over them in general seems counter-productive anyway. Just wait & sit back for the final product.

Let's be honest here, since 2017 there's no games bids anymore so discussing scenarios of how the games will develop in the future is the only real discussion topic. But yeah, that doesn't justify the presence of trolls in this forums

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

No, we love talking about the Olympics. We love finding out new things about the Olympics or educating newbs about the Olympics. If anything, we’re starving for more talk about the Olympics - hence why the activity goes up when a new Games is actually on. What we don’t like is being bludgeoned by spam postings repeating the same things over and over. Or those same repeat postings and opinions turning up in really inappropriate places. Now, if you brought up new points or issues, posted about them in an appropriate place, and didn’t then try to browbeat us about it by repeat posting on it, I’m sure you’d get a much more positive response.

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

And again, as has been explained before and @Bearjust reiterated, that’s because nothing much new has been happening regarding LA’s ceremonies. That said, since you started posting two events did spark some activity - NASCAR at the Coliseum gave us a chance to see how that venue could be utilised, and Super Bowl gave many people the first real look at SoFi and some idea of how it could ceremonies could be produced there. Coming up over the next six years, it’ll be little things like these that spark some activity, then things like the ceremonies team being named and the LA handover at Paris will set off a lot of discussion. By 2028 this thread will likely be in full bloom, with lots of people making informed speculations on what’s ahead (and indeed poring over Google Earth satellite pics for clues).

But just because it’s, temporarily, dormant, that doesn’t give you, or anyone, license to use it in the interim as their personal repository for multiple YouTube clips of things you didn’t like from 2012. It’s rude and off-topic. People see something new has been posted on here and then click on it in the expectation to find out some news or opinions  about LA’s 2028 ceremony plans, not “20 clips of things I found disturbing in London’s OC”.

You’ve been given links to other more appropriate threads to talk about specific things. You’ve had your posts moved to other threads. You’ve had entirely new threads created to accommodate you or inspired by thing’s you’ve brought up. Yet you seem recalcitrant to want to use those and seem determined that “I want to talk about London/Rio/flagpoles etc in the LA/Paris/Barcelona-Pyrenees threads”. We’re not loathe to engage with you, but we do expect you to follow common forum norms and courtesy.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

Let's be honest here, since 2017 there's no games bids anymore so discussing scenarios of how the games will develop in the future is the only real discussion topic. 

That's not entirely accurate, either. While the way the IOC *use* to handle the "bids" for the Games is not the same anymore, the process of now having "dialogs" with potential futures candidates is still engaging & provokes discussions of future Olympic cycles, like what's happening now with 2030, 2034 & even 2036.

So the notion that there's absolutely nothing to talk about in that aspect, is quite frankly a misconception. Maybe once the IOC performs another double (IF they do) with 2030 & 2034, then that would become more of a case. But until then, not so much.

4 hours ago, Bear said:

maybe because the ceremonies are in six years, there's still another two Olympics ahead of us, and there's no creative team or plan and place, so there's nothing to talk or speculate on...

Personally, I think the details of past openings/closings are a way to estimate what 2028 possibly will be like. Or not like. One organizing committee tends to riff on what a previous OOC or previous Olympics did.

Plus, I thought this forum was for shooting the breeze about "Olympics." So everything doesn't have to be totally literal or news driven.

Think of the way that fantasy football has drawn in a new set of fans or viewers of NFL Football.

Also, I've said that any OOC has three goals to shoot for:

!) Budget

2) Attendance

3) Organization

The last category involves the largest number of moving parts. Or specifics like logo, transportation, mascot and, yep, opening/closing ceremonies.

The last Olympics in the US, Atlanta 1996, did very well in the first, set an IOC record in the second, but wobbled when it came to the third.

Some say transportation problems tarnished 1996. Others say that uncontrollable incidents like the Olympic park bombing hurt the games too. I don't.

From my vantage point thousands of miles away, I say 1996's opening/closing hurt those games. Yep, YMMV. But that's my opinion.

5 minutes ago, FYI said:

That's not entirely accurate, either. While the way the IOC *use* to handle the "bids" for the Games is not the same anymore, the process of now having "dialogs" with potential futures candidates is still engaging & provokes discussions of future Olympic cycles, like what's happening now with 2030, 2034 & even 2036.

So the notion that there's absolutely nothing to talk about in that aspect, is quite frankly a misconception. Maybe once the IOC performs another double (IF they do) with 2030 & 2034, then that would become more of a case. But until then, not so much.

You'd have a point if it wasn't the fact that today's "bids" lack of the identity and charisma they had in prior years, nowadays you don't have the "cidade maravillosa" ads or the CGI travel around the proposed venues, there not even presentations anymore, and the "games of the ... olympiad in .... are awarded to the city of..." moment, has just become lame, literally olympics has gone from a "really?, tokyo won against madrid and istanbul and is hosting the games in 2020, it will be so futuristic" in 2013 to a "Paris and LA dual olympic hosts, cool" to a "briswhat?, never mind, have you seen..."  last year, and that only if you follow sporting events, because bet most of the normal people doesn't even know that olympics 2032 host had already been chosen. But anyway, still here discussing strange scenarios about how unprobable cities like Qatar, Jakarta or Cairo would organize their olympics is fun at least while they determine a host city rotation or while olympic interest rise (which is aparently happening for 2036 but guess the internal dialogue will screw the fun once again)

1 minute ago, Chris_Mex said:

You'd have a point if it wasn't the fact that today's "bids" lack of the identity and charisma they had in prior years, nowadays you don't have the "cidade maravillosa" ads or the CGI travel around the proposed venues, there not even presentations anymore, and the "games of the ... olympiad in .... are awarded to the city of..." moment, has just become lame, literally olympics has gone from a "really?, tokyo won against madrid and istanbul and is hosting the games in 2020, it will be so futuristic" in 2013 to a "Paris and LA dual olympic hosts, cool" to a "briswhat?, never mind, have you seen..."  last year, and that only if you follow sporting events, because bet most of the normal people doesn't even know that olympics 2032 host had already been chosen. But anyway, still here discussing strange scenarios about how unprobable cities like Qatar, Jakarta or Cairo would organize their olympics is fun at least while they determine a host city rotation or while olympic interest rise (which is aparently happening for 2036 but guess the internal dialogue will screw the fun once again)

And if someone is going to criticise me for wanting a little bit of competition against the holy "prefered dialogue" model, would you judge me?, I'm an sports fan after all

59 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

But just because it’s, temporarily, dormant, that doesn’t give you, or anyone, license to use it in the interim as their personal repository for multiple YouTube clips of things you didn’t like from 2012. It’s rude and off-topic. People see something new has been posted on here and then click on it in the expectation to find out some news or opinions  about LA’s 2028 ceremony plans, not “20 clips of things I found disturbing in London’s OC”.

You’ve been given links to other more appropriate threads to talk about specific things. You’ve had your posts moved to other threads. You’ve had entirely new threads created to accommodate you or inspired by thing’s you’ve brought up. Yet you seem recalcitrant to want to use those and seem determined that “I want to talk about London/Rio/flagpoles etc in the LA/Paris/Barcelona-Pyrenees threads”. We’re not loathe to engage with you, but we do expect you to follow common forum norms and courtesy.

Your take on "Olympics" is different from my take. I like reading various people's opinions on what they favor or don't favor about, in this board's case, the subject of the Olympics.

BTW, a so-called troll is a person who likes to screw around with users of message boards. He's the type who wants to draw a lot of attention to him or herself. Or make a mess of a platform. I have absolutely no interest in doing that whatsoever.

Although I like spirited debate, if people feel so resentful or defensive about my posting that they put me on ignore, so be it. I'd rather they give their viewpoint and tell me why they disagree with point A, B or C. But I take things for what they are.

However, when discussions involving something as seemingly harmless as "Olympics" starts rubbing people the wrong way, their heads may be screwed on way too tight.

1 minute ago, Chris_Mex said:

And if someone is going to criticise me for wanting a little bit of competition against the holy "prefered dialogue" model, would you judge me?, I'm an sports fan after all

Nobody’s criticising you for that. In fact, most people agree with you - I’d say a great majority here hate the “preferred bidder dialogue” model. And, yes, it has deadened a lot of the activity here, but I’d have to agree with FYI that it hasn’;t killed bid discussion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Based on videos of 1984, the opening ceremony seemed to involve a time frame that I'd call a sweet spot. Early enough for there to be still sunshine, but ending at an hour when the sun was setting over the Pacific.

When I watch replays of openings from decades ago, I know immediately it's the symbolic start of a games. That's because the event is occurring when the sun is still shining.

Some have said that for technical reasons, an opening ceremony is better because fireworks, photomapping and, even more recently, drones can be used. But I personally find those elements now overused. Or certainly photomapping is overused.

If every Olympic ceremony for the past few decades had followed all the aspects I favor - such as the ones involving flagpoles, choirs, sunshine, etc, lol - I'd say they had grown overused too.

4 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

BTW, a so-called troll is a person who likes to screw around with users of message boards. He's the type who wants to draw a lot of attention to him or herself. Or make a mess of a platform. I have absolutely no interest in doing that whatsoever.

Yet, that is what you are doing. I don’t know if it’s intentional or not, but your refusal or inability to follow advice or guidelines does not look good for your motives.

6 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Although I like spirited debate, if people feel so resentful or defensive about my posting that they put me on ignore, so be it. I'd rather they give their viewpoint and tell me why they disagree with point A, B or C. But I take things for what they are.

However, when discussions involving something as seemingly harmless as "Olympics" starts rubbing people the wrong way, their heads may be screwed on way too tight.

Yet you’ve been banned from SkyscraperCity and suspended from here twice. Whose fault is that? Have you pondered why you were, and thought of changing your ways to avoid that in future?

11 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

You'd have a point if it wasn't the fact that today's "bids" lack of the identity and charisma they had in prior years, nowadays you don't have the "cidade maravillosa" ads or the CGI travel around the proposed venues, there not even presentations anymore, and the "games of the ... olympiad in .... are awarded to the city of..." moment, has just become lame, l

Sure, the razzle-dazzle of Olympic bid races of yesteryear are gone (at least for now anyway), but the conversations of potential future candidates within Olympic realms are still there. 

13 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

because bet most of the normal people doesn't even know that olympics 2032 host had already been chosen. 

Most people, though, don't even know where the very next Olympics are going to take place. That's only us Olympic nerds on a site like this that know every site selection from now 'til 2032. So that has got nothing to do with the way the "new norm" handles the "dialog" nowadays.

18 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

to a "briswhat?

:lol:

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

as their personal repository for multiple YouTube clips of things you didn’t like from 2012. It’s rude and off-topic.

This thread is now becoming such a big wall of text, that photos or Youtube videos are needed to break up all the gray. LOL.

I use videos the way various people holding lectures or meetings like to use PowerPoint.

Photos, drawings and videos help both illustrate and also give some relief to the eyeballs. YMMV.

1 minute ago, Olympics2028 said:

This thread is now becoming such a big wall of text, that photos or Youtube videos are needed to break up all the gray. LOL.

I use videos the way various people holding lectures or meetings like to use PowerPoint.

Photos, drawings and videos help both illustrate and also give some relief to the eyeballs. YMMV.

Clips or pics can be good. Clips or pics can be fun. Multiple pics of clips of various aspects of the London OC (or of entertainers who may have performed in the London OC) in an LA thread are way off topic (and will be deleted).

25 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Personally, I think the details of past openings/closings are a way to estimate what 2028 possibly will be like. Or not like. One organizing committee tends to riff on what a previous OOC or previous Olympics did.

Plus, I thought this forum was for shooting the breeze about "Olympics." So everything doesn't have to be totally literal or news driven.

Think of the way that fantasy football has drawn in a new set of fans or viewers of NFL Football.

Also, I've said that any OOC has three goals to shoot for:

!) Budget

2) Attendance

3) Organization

The last category involves the largest number of moving parts. Or specifics like logo, transportation, mascot and, yep, opening/closing ceremonies.

The last Olympics in the US, Atlanta 1996, did very well in the first, set an IOC record in the second, but wobbled when it came to the third.

Some say transportation problems tarnished 1996. Others say that uncontrollable incidents like the Olympic park bombing hurt the games too. I don't.

From my vantage point thousands of miles away, I say 1996's opening/closing hurt those games. Yep, YMMV. But that's my opinion.

What makes a good Olympic Opening Ceremony?   >> Gamesbids.com - click here <<