LA 2028 Ceremonies

I just watched an interview done a few weeks ago on a local news broadcast of Casey Wasserman. The interviewer asked him where the torch entry and cauldron for the 2028 games would be done or located. He stressed they will be at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood.

As was evident during the recent Super Bowl, when it comes to things like big-time ceremonies, that facility tends to fall flat.

I'm predicting that 2028 will be a variation of the 2020/2021 games. However, even Tokyo's new National Stadium at least has an opening to the sky. So it's not totally enclosed. It's therefore not as visually suffocating as roofed-over stadiums are.

SoFi is also another example of where bigger money doesn't necessarily ensure better results.

The next Olympic games in America already are starting to bobble.

21 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

As was evident during the recent Super Bowl, when it comes to things like big-time ceremonies, that facility tends to fall flat.

Imagine writing off an entire set of Olympic ceremonies based on one (1) event (that is not even related to the Games!) that happened over 6 years prior :(

21 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Based on what? A *personal* prediction for an event that won't take place until over six years from now?

I worry for you :(

^ No Olympic opening/closing has ever been done before in a totally enclosed stadium. Unless SoFi can be rebuilt for 2028, the ceremonies held there will be as unimpressive as the recent Super Bowl halftime was. So, regrettably, a large part of 1 of 3 major goals of an OOC, the organization of a games (including its ceremonies), is showing signs of being a dud.

There remains the issue of things like transportation and the so-called look of the games, however. So there may be other d'ohs! in the future too.

Now the 2028 OOC really has to make sure 2 of the other 3 major goals of an Olympic games are met: Budget and attendance. 

A natural disaster before 2028 could very easily wreck the 2028 OOC's budget. And by the time 2028 rolls around, the changing culture and economy may also affect attendance.

22 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I just watched an interview done a few weeks ago on a local news broadcast of Casey Wasserman. The interviewer asked him where the torch entry and cauldron for the 2028 games would be done or located. He stressed they will be at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood.

I'm predicting that 2028 will be a variation of the 2020/2021 games. However, even Tokyo's new National Stadium at least has an opening to the sky. So it's not totally enclosed. It's therefore not as visually suffocating as roofed-over stadiums are.

SoFi is also another example of where bigger money doesn't necessarily ensure better results.

That's a really ridiculous assertion.  Because the ceremonies might not fit your preferred vision, the entire thing is starting to bobble?  I don't buy that.

SoFi was built by and for Stan Kroenke to host his NFL team and attract other big events.  Not sure what about the Super Bowl you believe falls flat.  Because it's not an open air stadium?  I'd love to hear from people who have actually seen the stadium with their own eyes to make that judgment.  And not necessarily the 1 person out there who thinks the success of the 2028 Olympics might be in question as a result.

4 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

^ No Olympic opening/closing has ever been done before in a totally enclosed stadium. Unless SoFi can be rebuilt for 2028, the ceremonies held there will be as unimpressive as the recent Super Bowl halftime was. So, regrettably, a large part of 1 of 3 major goals of an OOC, the organization of a games (including its ceremonies), is showing signs of being a dud.

There remains the issue of things like transportation and the so-called look of the games, however. So there may be other d'ohs! in the future too.

Now the 2028 OOC really has to make sure 2 of the other 3 major goals of an Olympic games are met: Budget and attendance. 

A natural disaster before 2028 could very easily wreck the 2028 OOC's budget. And by the time 2028 rolls around, the changing culture and economy may also affect attendance.

Do the 2010 ceremonies not count?  Since BC Place is very much a totally enclosed stadium.

There are a lot of things that will determine the success or failure of the 2028 Olympics.  You are putting way too much stock into this 1 aspect.  I get that there are more than a few people on this site - yourself included - that think the Olympics are all about the ceremonies and the 16 days of sports in between is just filler.  It won't be the make or break you seem to want to think it is

I read comments about Lennon's "Imagine" becoming overused at Olympic ceremonies. The recent winter games performed the same bit. But an unseen, probably pre-recorded solo singer didn't help the segment.

I like how the producer of the 2022 ceremony, however, at least kept an emphasis on sports and athletes. He had a better sense of what he was presenting than what, by contrast, occurred in 2012.

2028 can do a choral segment of another cliche, Michael Jackson's "Heal the World."

Assuming SoFi doesn't totally destroy the tone or vibe of a ceremony, a choir in 2028 can do to the event what Diana Ross's "Reach Out" did for 1984.

46 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I'd love to hear from people who have actually seen the stadium with their own eyes to make that judgment.  And not necessarily the 1 person out there who thinks the success of the 2028 Olympics might be in question as a result.

Sorry, but this isn't impressive to me. It's a typical multi-stacked NFL stadium. It's great for pro-football and pop-rock-rap concerts. But it doesn't have the tone or look of "Olympic Ceremony." 

Think of how things like the use of drones or fireworks will fall flat in this setting. Or won't make any sense.

Also, the 1996 games were a big success in 2 of 3 major goals that any organizing committee should shoot for.

Atlanta 1996 kept their budget under control and attracted more spectators than any summer (and winter, for that matter) in Olympic history. But because it fumbled the 3rd category (which included the opening/closing of 1996) it ended up less than ideal or memorable. Or it didn't achieve Sydney 2000's "best Olympics ever."

YMMV.

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

^ No Olympic opening/closing has ever been done before in a totally enclosed stadium.

And just like this, we can now confirm that you're full of s***.

Vancouver and Sochi's Olympic Opening and Closing ceremonies were held in indoor venues.

The closing ceremonies for Sarajevo, Lake Placid, and Innsbruck (and I'm sure others as well) were also held indoors.

Do you even bother to look into the things you're saying? Like you also admit you don't fully watch the ceremonies you love to talk about the most, yet you completely write them off as being badly done, and basically say that they tarnish their respective Olympiad.

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

But it doesn't have the tone or look of "Olympic Ceremony." 

Maybe because the event has NOTHING to do with the Olympics???

Like come on... get help... :(

• Like 1

Absolutely agree that the magnificent indoor Sofi Stadium will be the setting for stunning Olympic and Paralympic Opening Ceremonies in 2028, as has been done several times before.

Olympic2028, you’re living in the past and you’re blurting out completely false statements.  

Be mindful that you’re in a forum with seasoned knowledgeable Olympic fans here, so I’d advise you to check the facts before you post.

Fireworks will still happen and the worldwide TV audience of billions will see them clearly.  The 70,000 capacity crowd in SoFi Stadium will hear and also see them on the biggest stadium LED screen in the world.

^ I'm giving an opinion on SoFi and Olympics games. I'd like to hear yours.

You could say something like "SoFi has a great message board to watch video images." Or "the canopy means that spectators won't suffer from heat stroke."

Or how about, "I liked the 2016 opening because the segment of 'Girl From Ipanema" was really well done." Or, "I didn't care for 2000 because they used to many inflatable plastic objects."

Plus, yea, you're correct. Some Olympic ceremonies have been done in fully enclosed stadiums or domed arenas. But I'm thinking of the openings/closings through the years that have earned the most praise and attention.

Incidentally, a Super Bowl halftime show is obviously not an Olympics event. But I'm not thinking of the particulars of one event versus another. I'm thinking of the overall setup in general, including the look and tone of a venue. For instance, in an outdoor stadium. flags can wave in the wind. They help give a more active, kinetic look to an event.

In SoFi, flags will hang lifeless like laundry drying on a clothesline.

Even in Beijing's open-top stadium, the 2022 OOC still had to use air blowers embedded in the flagpoles to make the flags flap around. 

1 minute ago, AustralianFan said:

Sofi Stadium has open sides and a 70,000 capacity which is expandable to 100,240 for major events.

Inside SoFi Stadium: Cost, capacity & more to know about the site of 2022 Super Bowl - Sportingnews.com - 13Feb2022

I was going to say that first part, that SoFi isn't even a fully enclosed stadium haha

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

^ I'm giving an opinion on SoFi and Olympics games. I'd like to hear yours.

You could say something like "SoFi has a great message board to watch video images." Or "the canopy means that spectators won't suffer from heat stroke."

Or how about, "I liked the 2016 opening because the segment of 'Girl From Ipanema" was really well done." Or, "I didn't care for 2000 because they used to many inflatable plastic objects."

Plus, yea, you're correct. Some Olympic ceremonies have been done in fully enclosed stadiums or domed arenas. But I'm thinking of the openings/closings through the years that have earned the most praise and attention.

Incidentally, a Super Bowl halftime show is obviously not an Olympics event. But I'm not thinking of the particulars of one event versus another. I'm thinking of the overall setup in general, including the look and tone of a venue. For instance, in an outdoor stadium. flags can wave in the wind. They help give a more active, kinetic look to an event.

In SoFi, flags will hang lifeless like laundry drying on a clothesline.

Even in Beijing's open-top stadium, the 2022 OOC still had to use air blowers embedded in the flagpoles to make the flags flap around. 

You’re the only one who complains about the flags hanging.

It’s been done several times over the years with great effect including the Sydney 2000 Olympic Flags.

They are clearly the flags of competing countries and hanging them in a row certainly does not make them look like washing.  That’s just outright nonsense, seriously.

• Like 1

My opinion on SoFi -

It's a really cool venue, and I'm sure that it will serve as a great setting for the Opening Ceremony

My main concern is regarding the size of the FOP - it seems smaller than those at previous Olympic Stadiums and considering that traditionally all athletes congregate on the stadium floor for the Summer ceremonies, I hope that they aren't too squished haha

8 minutes ago, Bear said:

My main concern is regarding the size of the FOP - it seems smaller than those at previous Olympic Stadiums and considering that traditionally all athletes congregate on the stadium floor for the Summer ceremonies, I hope that they aren't too squished haha

In terms of a big-time Olympics: And other than THAT, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?

22 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

LOL. Air blowers should be installed on outdoor flagpoles too.

9 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Whether the language is English or Chinese, air blowers embedded in a flagpole lose something in translation:

Seems like you’re getting tangled in your own prejudices here

25 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Seems like you’re getting tangled in your own prejudices here

Yea, I admit I favor Earth's natural breezes to that of artificial air blowers.

But, hey, an indoor stadium does give some work to manufacturers of devices of air blowers or air conditioners.

2028 possibly will have to buy something like this: