LA 2028 Ceremonies

25 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

For those not keeping track, Wasserman is the head of the 2028 OOC.

This is an Olympic forum, & even more specifically, an LA28 forum, so most of us here do indeed keep track. But Casey Wasserman keeping in 'close contact' with Sebastian Coe is neither here, nor there really. Most OCOG usually keep in close contact with previous or future OCOG anyway, for feedback/cooperation, etc.

So I don't see the need to tie in something that really is trivial in comparison, by the time the 2028 Games come to town, with what will be 16 years in the review mirror anyway. Wasserman will be needing/keeping in close contact with Estanguet & whoever will be Brisbane's 2032 chair, & not Coe.

25 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

When the 2028 games are held, the US president in office maybe can be shown jumping out of a helicopter. 

:lol: ^_^

^ A lot of what's going on is baked into the formula. It spans decades and involves a lot of different people and a variety of organizing committees. So although it reached sort of a high point in 2012, it has been a part of most games (summer and winter) well before and after the 30th Olympiad.

i think it's why the "Olympics" brand is now shinier and more prestigious than ever before.

I think Rowan Atkinson's "Mr Bean" should become the IOC's official mascot.

17 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

^ A lot of what's going on is baked into the formula. It spans decades and involves a lot of different people and a variety of organizing committees. So although it reached sort of a high point in 2012, it has been a part of most games (summer and winter) well before and after the 30th Olympiad.

i think it's why the "Olympics" brand is now shinier and more prestigious than ever before.

I think Rowan Atkinson's "Mr Bean" should become the IOC's official mascot.

Sigh! :(

Thing is, London 2012 is as relevant to LA 28 as Hipposthenes of Sparta winning in 608 BC or Milo of Kroton‘s victories from 536 to 516 BC. Beyond the fact they’re part of an Olympic tradition, they’re apples and oranges.

we do get it all too clear - you’re not a fan of London 2012’s ceremonies. I don’t think anyone here’s unaware of your viewpoint on it by now. Belabouring the point so obsessively now is not only redundant but quite understandably getting beyond the point of annoying to people and creeping back into spamming-trolling territory. It’s precisely what earned you your past suspensions from the site. I think you’ve got interesting viewpoints to present here and would like you to avoid another suspension or banning. But you need to think where you’re posting things and not keep whipping a dead horse with your over-posted obsessions.

To echo Rob, here: London’s OC DID NOT CAUSE EMPTY SEATS. Empty seats are a common feature of nearly all games -= especially preliminary and qualification events in the opening days. London, by the end, had one of, if not the, highest levels of spectator attendance of any games. There’s an arguement to be made that the OC may have sparked a lot  of the excitement for them to achieve this. Athens 2004 (with what is widely regarded as one of the more artistic OCs) and Rio 2016 are far more notorious for empty seats.

LA will do what LA wants it to do. It may develop what it thinks worked in past games, or may ignore past precedents totally. It’ll likely be highly attended whatever the quality of its OC.

s

49 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

we do get it all too clear - you’re not a fan of London 2012’s ceremonies. I don’t think anyone here’s unaware of your viewpoint on it by now. Belabouring the point so obsessively now is not only redundant but quite understandably getting beyond the point of annoying to people and creeping back into spamming-trolling territory.

LA will do what LA wants it to do. It may develop what it thinks worked in past games, or may ignore past precedents totally. It’ll likely be highly attended whatever the quality of its OC.

Again, I thought this forum was to discuss the subject of "Olympics" and hash out various details about it.

I imagine if I were to check your years of comments in this forum (although I don't know how long you've been posting here), I'd find opinions of yours that repeat the same thing, that express the same likes/dislikes. If not, you'd be quite unusual.

Most people just about always give their viewpoints or express their pros and cons.

However, yea, so-called political correctness has changed just how much open conversation is allowed or acceptable. But I don't consider "Olympics" as exactly a hot-button topic. Or maybe it is?

Jeez, maybe discussing my favorite ice cream or why I don't like steak tartare is going to be too sensitive of an issue?

Incidentally, yes, this thread is supposed to be about "2028 ceremonies." But the topic apparently was so uninteresting to most of gamebid's users that, until my post several weeks ago, it hadn't been added to since late 2019. Or over 2 years ago. So If my comments are drawing in forum users like moths to a porch light, then I have to ask what exactly is going on here? 

BTW, I notice most people in this forum, as is true elsewhere, often don't have more than a few words or sentences to give.

There was another user, however, who in the thread on the 2022 winter games (so many threads even in the 2022 folder, I'm not exactly sure which "Ceremony" it was in) gave a very lengthy, detailed description of what he saw. So much so, in fact, my eyes sort of glazed over. Part of it was because he didn't use para breaks.

But I still found it interesting (I did scan quickly through it) and did appreciate his effort or interest.

I didn't gripe about it the way I'm sure a non-Olympics follower would. Or a person who'd likely think another person into the minutia of "ceremonies" - of the Olympics or otherwise - was an oddball.

If a post doesn't interest a reader or contains comments he doesn't agree with, that person can skip over it or get involved in a conversation. The post can be rebutted or provide specifics as to why its writer doesn't have the same opinion.

I do that, so I'm not sure why, by contrast, other people don't.

16 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Incidentally, yes, this thread is supposed to be about "2028 ceremonies." But the topic apparently was so uninteresting to most of gamebid's users that, until my post several weeks ago, it hadn't been added to since late 2019. Or over 2 years ago. So If my comments are drawing in forum users like moths to a porch light, then I have to ask what exactly is going on here? 

Well, maybe that’s because that after an initial flurry of speculations immediately after it was awarded the games, there has not been anything really to talk about. Apart from the odd flurry every Super Bowl time, this thread is likely to be mostly dormant till a ceremonies producer is appointed, which may give some clues, and then bloom to life in early 2028 when all the ceremonies fans will be forensically examining Google Earth shots of the stadiums and speculating what some white square in the corner of the field is going to be used for?

That doesn’t mean it’s appropriate in the interim to flood the thread with posts and accompanying clips of “what I didn’t like in past ceremonies”. If that draws people here, it’s likely to see if anything new has been gleaned - only to annoy them when they realise it’s just your bug bears over London.

if you wanna start a “Things I Didn’t Like in Past Ceremonies” thread over in the General Olympics Discusions forums, go ahead, knock yourself out. You might get people also joining you in posting their own personal irritants. 

Edited by Sir Rols

1 minute ago, Sir Rols said:

That doesn’t mean it’s appropriate in the interim to flood the thread with posts and accompanying clips of “what I didn’t like in past ceremonies”. If that draws people here, it’s likely to see if anything new has been gleaned - only to annoy them when they realise it’s just your bug bears over London.

Actually, some users have made a stink about my posts that give specifics about what I would like in a ceremony. Again, what I'd like.

Okay, maybe to some people that comes for as "TMI." Or too OCD. Fine. Then they can choose to skip over those postings. But, no, they instead complain about my giving specifics. Or they gripe about details of what I judge as a good format.

I recall a Gamesbid user rebutting my opinion with a comment like that's "old hat." Great. That's fine and all. I have no problem with that.

If people don't like what I like, it's no sweat off my brow if they rebut my opinion with what they favor.

I use the example of 2012 to show where various people gave a big thumbs up, while I did just the opposite. Fine. That's just the way things are.

Yea, I'd feel more in sync with people if they agreed with my take. But I'm not going to be a jerk about things by claiming their opinions have no place in the conversation and they should zip it.

9 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Actually, some users have made a stink about my posts that give specifics about what I would like in a ceremony. Again, what I'd like.

Okay, maybe to some people that comes for as "TMI." Or too OCD. Fine. Then they can choose to skip over those postings. But, no, they instead complain about my giving specifics. Or they gripe about details of what I judge as a good format.

I recall a Gamesbid user rebutting my opinion with a comment like that's "old hat." Great. That's fine and all. I have no problem with that.

If people don't like what I like, it's no sweat off my brow if they rebut my opinion with what they favor.

I use the example of 2012 to show where various people gave a big thumbs up, while I did just the opposite. Fine. That's just the way things are.

Yea, I'd feel more in sync with people if they agreed with my take. But I'm not going to be a jerk about things by claiming their opinions have no place in the conversation and they should zip it.

Then why so determined to swim against the tide, when likely everyone would be happier - including you - if you just took your views to a new thread in an appropriate forum?

Don’t you ry to think of what it is that caused you to get suspensions here and at Skyscrapercity?

But I thought this was a forum on the topic of "Olympics" and the IOC.

If this were instead a forum devoted to the subject of fast-food restaurants and all the threads here were about McDonald's, Taco Bell, KFC, Burger King or Chick-Fil-A, and I started posting about my favorite or least favorite hotels, or asking where to service my car, or whether Windows 10 was better than a iMac Pro, yep, that would be really idiotic. Or totally OT and inappropriate.

As it is, a thread about "2028 Ceremonies" is talking about posters and whether their opinions should be expressed here or not instead of matters related to "2028 Ceremonies."

Maybe Gamesbid's forum really is a message board to discuss fast-food restaurants.

I should add that the suggestion was made I should post in other threads at Gamesbid, not just in the LA2028 ones.  Then I post in one that was in the admittedly more political area of doping at the Olympics and GB's complainers come out all over again.

No-win, baby.

I guess the user should just insert - what? - smiley faces in all of GB's threads and talk about the weather? Or will chats about whether it's sunny, cloudy, raining or snowing, hot or cold ruffle some people's feathers too?

6 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I should add that the suggestion was made I should post in other threads at Gamesbid, not just in the LA2028 ones.  Then I post in one that was in the admittedly more political area of doping at the Olympics and GB's complainers come out all over again.

No-win, baby.

Yeah, I guess that was asking for it on their part, huh lol.

I feel like I'm in some episode of the Twilight Zone or trapped in a chapter of George Orwell's "1984." That's in reference to his book, not the 23rd Olympiad of the modern era.

Hey, that's relevant to this thread, however! Orwell's "1984" was the same year that LA hosted an Olympics and the 34th Olympiad of the modern era is going to be held there too!

Okay, I admit I'm going OT if I start talking about George Orwell's "Animal House."

But come to think of it, that story took place in England, and the Olympics were held there in 2012!

Orwell's book was about animals who take over a farm and boot out its human overseers. Only to later see the farm become a big mess all over again.

That theme might fit one segment of the 2028 ceremonies! It's odd enough it will suit the Cirque-du-Soileil-zation of most Olympic ceremonies, at least the ones mainly since I believe around 1992.

Get crackin', 2028 organizing committee!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Oh, they’d still do it: “Is that a trap door for the cauldron to lower in from?”

Am I way behind the news? Are they still planning a dual stadium ceremony?

hasn't really been mentioned, but LA28 still has both SoFi and the Coliseum listed for Olympic "Ceremonies", and just SoFi for Paralympic "Ceremonies"

I don't know what the buzz is about SoFi Stadium after the Super Bowl.

Since the building is going to be used in the context of Olympic ceremonies in 2028, that's what takes the center of any conversation, at least what this thread is supposed to be for.

Archery in 2028, by contrast, has been proposed as being held outside of the stadium, possibly on a platform installed above the lake area. But who knows what actually eventually occurs?

When it comes to a variety of non-Olympics subjects, I've read postings in various forums where a lot of users slam something that I don't think is as bad as they make out to be. In turn, I've seen people give high marks to something I think is junk. I SMH, but so be it.

Again, everyone has an opinion. There's the saying: Opinions are like b---holes. Everyone has them and they all stink.

If people think my opinions stink to high heaven, fine. I don't mind that. But comments that don't go much beyond "you suck, stop it or you're banned!!!" are really uninteresting. They seem kind of lame for any message board where people who share an interest in a subject like to post.

Beyond this forum, I think the ceremonies of most Olympic games are like today's music. Most people don't say either yah or nay about them, but instead give a few seconds of their time and move on. They don't care. Or "ceremony on TV" doesn't interest them enough to have an opinion. Apparently a lot of newer music is developing that same kind of dynamic.

As for me, as much as I go on about this subject, I never watch most Olympic ceremonies or I view only a small portion of them. I think a lot of people are the same way. Or they don't care one way or the other.

Or they go, "feh" or "I have to post my selfie right now...not enough time to be bothered!"

My citing the 2012 games is because they were hosted by a big-time city. So they interested me more than other games have done.

However, I don't think the 2016 games were either better or worse than 2012 because the amount of money the 2016 OOC had to work with was less than what 2012 had.

Similarly, I don't think the 2012 games were either better or worse than 2008 because the amount of money the 2012 OOC had to work with was less than what the 2008 OOC had.

I hope the 2028 OOC keeps their expenses modest and doesn't buy into the assumption that in order for something to be good or set a gold standard, a lot of big money and excess are required.

If the 2028 ceremonies are simple. basic and non-overdone, that will be perfectly fine with me. Actually, that's my first choice.

Others may complain and go, "whoa, LA/America sure came up short. BORING! SUCKED!" But if that's because they want a lot of excess and overkill, well, they can switch to another episode of the Kardashians.

This may be a very expensive stadium but as a backdrop for an Olympics ceremony, it doesn't impress me too much. YMMV, however. But if people assume bigger money means better results, not necessarily.

The video board (originally called the "oculus"---it was changed for copyright reasons) makes me think that spectators in the stadium might just as well stay home and watch an event on their widescreens.

The tarp on the field (and SoFi's field is already artificial turf) makes me think of how all Olympic ceremonies for decades have covered their stadium floors with a huge vinyl or canvas sheet. That seems to be environmentally unfriendly. Visually unnecessary too.

2028 should stick with the natural look, at least at the Coliseum. What's wrong with the appearance and vibe of something like ficus grass? Seems more Earth friendly too.

Doesn't the IOC want to reduce their carbon usage? Plastic or vinyl tarps aren't too eco ideal. I imagine the use of them also increases the budget.

2028 OOC, save the time, save the money, save the planet.