LA 2028 Ceremonies

^  I don't really know how this chore is handled by various organizing committees.

The supposed official theme for the 2012 summer games weren't used during their medal ceremonies. They commissioned a customized piece, but they ended up going with the score from the movie "Chariots of Fire."

The 2024 official score possibly has also already been created. But some people are saying it was only for the handover in Tokyo. Or that the music used during the medal ceremonies in Paris will be different.

I also notice that in 1984 the gold medal winners were announced first. But in 2012 the top medalists were mentioned last, after the bronze and silver winners had been listed by the announcers. Not sure which of the two formats is better.

58 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

But some people are saying it was only for the handover in Tokyo

maybe... just maybe... it's because... it was...

59 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I also notice that in 1984 the gold medal winners were announced first. But in 2012 the top medalists were mentioned last, after the bronze and silver winners had been listed by the announcers. Not sure which of the two formats is better.

2012 format is better imo, creates more hype for the introduction of the gold medalist (and it kinda goes with the saying, "saving best for last")

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

^  

I also notice that in 1984 the gold medal winners were announced first. But in 2012 the top medalists were mentioned last, after the bronze and silver winners had been listed by the announcers. 

The switchover to Bronze-Silver-Gold order (the American way of doing this) happened at Salt Lake 2002 -- so the first Games of the new Century.  

Because a forumer, Sir Rols, mentioned he liked this music as part of 2012's closing ceremonies, I checked it out. This isn't its performance from London 2012, but from another presentation of it:

If I were on the 2028 OOC trying to diagram the games' opening and closing, this is why I'd want to hash out all ideas and opinions.

A pro-"Survival" POV?

I'd otherwise have been skeptical or thought someone was joking about it. But this composition does work. It reflects why a choir will make any tune fit a big-time Olympics. At least a piece like "Survival" can fit a portion of it.

However, a writer at forbes.com didn't like the tune, but for reasons why I think make it actually pretty okay.

"Pomp and circumstance" is the tone a formal ceremony should aim for. A lack of that makes an event seem too "no big deal."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/leorgalil/2012/06/28/the-problem-with-muses-official-olympic-song-survival/?sh=48e5c0b47e78

Yesterday British rock trio Muse announced that the London Olympic committee picked one of the group's new songs as the main official number for the summer games. There will be five official tunes helping soundtrack the London 2012 Olympic Games, but Muse's cut, "Survival," is the ringleader.

Muse's "Survival" flies in the face of the Olympic spirit's endearing and enduring nature, and yet it will be the main tune used to soundtrack the games and, to a certain degree, represent the culture of London and the rest of the U.K. Perhaps the committee selected the tune because of the way its opulence evokes a certain degree of pomp and circumstance one expects to hear at something as grand as the Olympic Games.

I still prefer more "middle of the road." But if the outer boundaries of an Olympics ceremony are handled with skill, they can be made to work. So the 2018 OOC should keep their ears and eyes wide open.

^ 2028. lol.

The only reason why the presentation of "Survival" in 2012 wasn't as big-time as it could have been was because the choir was too small, and the producer inserted too many gimmicks into the stadium. There were roaming kleig lights, flames on the stage, trucks shooting off fireworks. So he/they cheapened the tone of the ceremony.

^ Huh? Defend? Intentions?

What?

I thought this forum was about "Olympics." I thought this thread, in particular, was on the topic of "2028 ceremonies."

I'm not sure what's going on here. Maybe you all have been members of this board for years, so someone new coming in to discuss the subject of "Olympics" is what? Too much the outsider? Too much the new kid on the block?

Or certain gamesbid forum users feel defensive if the topic of "Olympics" or "2028 games" is being commented on? Huh?

Moreover, this thread was inactive since 2019. Nobody appeared to be posting in it for over 2 years. Then several weeks ago I keyed in a comment. So I wasn't barging into the middle of other users' conversations or messages.

But that still makes certain posters uneasy or defensive?  i don't get it.

Again, I thought this forum was about "Olympics." I thought this thread was about "2028 ceremony."

In the other thread on 2028 someone posted an article about the guy running the 2024 games as visiting LA to see SoFi and the Super Bowl. Personally, sorry, I wasn't impressed. SoFi is a typical multi-level football stadium with a canopy. It's fine for football, but not necessarily for an Olympic-type ceremony. SoFi's roof prevents views of fireworks and drones.

If someone from the 2028 OOC ever browses this thread, I hope they keep that mind that in mind.

There have been drones over the past few nights with impressive high-tech features promoting the NFL in downtown LA. But over SoFi? I don't believe so. Who'd see them?

The last Olympics in the US was the 2002 games in Salt Lake City. Yea, that's a winter games. But they tend to crib from summer games. I guess visa versa too.

Since SLC may get the next Olympic games, and the one that immediately follows LA in 2028, the 2002 event has made me curious.

I never watched its ceremony 20 years ago, so I zipped through segments of it posted to Youtube. I noticed that, yep, the 2002 OOC too sure did love doing Cirque-du-Soleil features.

Been there, done that, people?

The first part had participants dressed in lots of fabric. Lots of fabric and made to look like goblins, space aliens? A young boy with a lantern ice skated nervously around them.

I don't know why producers of Olympic ceremonies keep doing versions of the same thing.

I notice as the American athletes walked in, the theme music from the 1984 games played. If the 2002 games wanted to dig up that composition, should the 2028 summer games do the same thing? Hell, why not?

There was also a segment that was sort of a knock-off of the Wild West hoe-down presentation used in 1984.

The required salute to indigenous people also took place. I recall Sydney 2000 did it. I believe Vancouver 2010 did the same thing.

Sting and the cellist Yo-Yo Ma did a presentation. But, again, what could have been an inspiring big-sound ceremonial feature fell short: The choir was barely used.

When the cauldron was lit, the major few seconds right before that moment (the US hockey team from 1980 were a part of the lighting) also fell short. That's because the background music had stopped before then.

Hello (tap, tap), is this mic on? lol.

The set made to look like houses, or whatever (I think one prop was supposed to be a sign for Tommy's burgers), and convertibles around them reminded me of one segment of the 2012 opening.

I'm not into rap or hip hop, etc, so it wasn't my thing.

A few weeks ago I watched a segment of the opening of the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and all the opera singers presented at the time became tiring to my ears.

Again, different tastes, different opinions.

SoFI Stadium as a backdrop for something like an Olympics ceremony won't grab me. For events like those I prefer open-air stadiums. Even the way that flags are displayed in open air compared with stadiums covered with a roof affect the tone of a location.

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

The set made to look like houses, or whatever (I think one prop was supposed to be a sign for Tommy's burgers), and convertibles around them reminded me of one segment of the 2012 opening.

I'm not into rap or hip hop, etc, so it wasn't my thing.

A few weeks ago I watched a segment of the opening of the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and all the opera singers presented at the time became tiring to my ears.

Again, different tastes, different opinions.

SoFI Stadium as a backdrop for something like an Olympics ceremony won't grab me. For events like those I prefer open-air stadiums. Even the way that flags are displayed in open air compared with stadiums covered with a roof affect the tone of a location.

If i went to a opening ceremony of the Olympics 2028 i would visit the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum since its a iconic venue to be there. Both ceremonies will be located as mentioned before along with the SoFi Stadium.

12 hours ago, FYI said:

So it looks like in the superbowl's case, it's the half-time show that's the main attraction (at least here anyway), & the big game itself is just "filler". :lol:

To be fair, I am not socialized with American football, like, at all. Half-time show is pretty much the only reason to even give it a look.

17 hours ago, FYI said:

So it looks like in the superbowl's case, it's the half-time show that's the main attraction (at least here anyway), & the big game itself is just "filler". :lol:

SoFi Stadium is supposed to be used only for 2028's ceremonies, not something like flag football, which some people want to see included in the summer games. So judging the stadium for a ceremony-type event - such as the Super Bowl's half time - is what applies to this thread. Even more so since it's on "2028 Ceremonies."

And as I posted previously, I'm not impressed by SoFi as a setting for the Olympics opening or closing.

7 hours ago, munichfan said:

To be fair, I am not socialized with American football, like, at all. Half-time show is pretty much the only reason to even give it a look.

Sure, but that's the whole jest here with the Olympics. The Superbowl appears to be no different in that aspect. Like the ones that also say they only watch it for the new commercials. Not all Americans are into American football.

A lot here also don't relate to many of the sports, if any, played at the Olympics, but yet get totally engrossed with the ceremonies. Hence, the "filler" aspect on here, between the ceremonies. 

53 minutes ago, FYI said:

A lot here also don't relate to many of the sports, if any, played at the Olympics, but yet get totally engrossed with the ceremonies. Hence, the "filler" aspect on here, between the ceremonies. 

Guess, we need to hand out medals for like arts and architecture and directing ceremonies (again), then. That's gonna keep these folks interested throughout the 16 days. :P

^ The ceremonies of a games are like the front and back covers of a book. Although all the pages between those two parts may be fantastic, if the outer layer of that book is weak or mediocre, that will affect various people's impression of the book in general.

I still think that affected, for example, the 2012 games, at least in the beginning.

There was a lot of talk and media coverage of how many venues had quite a few noticeably empty seats. Although I assume most of that was due to things like ticket users having conflicting schedules or not using their seats because they were visiting friends or families in the UK, etc, etc, etc, I still think at least a part of that was due to the tone or vibe of the opening ceremony. To me it came off like a salute to the British entertainment industry or London chamber of commerce. So it didn't seem international, inspiring or "Olympics" enough.

Yea, yea, YMMV. Other people said they were a fantastic start of those games. So to each his own, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I say tomato, you say tomah-to. Yadda, yadda. But 2012 did start off with a lot of press about venues with people dressed up like empty seats.

• Confused 1

On 2/14/2022 at 2:23 PM, FYI said:

We'll see if that is the case.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

SoFi Stadium is supposed to be used only for 2028's ceremonies, not something like flag football, which some people want to see included in the summer games. So judging the stadium for a ceremony-type event - such as the Super Bowl's half time - is what applies to this thread. Even more so since it's on "2028 Ceremonies."

And as I posted previously, I'm not impressed by SoFi as a setting for the Olympics opening or closing.

Football will also be played at SoFi Stadium during the 2028 Olympic Games.

Archery will be contested at SoFi Stadium.

The Opening Ceremony as well.

Los Angeles Memorial Stadium will host the Closing Ceremony.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

But 2012 did start off with a lot of press about venues with people dressed up like empty seats.

Yes, it did. Yet it was no different from any other Games. This was just the British press doing what the British press does. Early rounds not selling out and sponsors not using their tickets happens at every Games but our press treated it as the scandal of the century.

in fact, London sold more tickets than any other Games in history across the Olympics and Paralympics. I can only imagine how the press would've reacted if we had Athens' level of ticket sales.

11 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

There was a lot of talk and media coverage of how many venues had quite a few noticeably empty seats. Although I assume most of that was due to things like ticket users having conflicting schedules or not using their seats because they were visiting friends or families in the UK, etc, etc, etc, I still think at least a part of that was due to the tone or vibe of the opening ceremony.

Absolute bollocks. This is exactly the kind of thing you spammed threads with on SSC and why, in the end, nobody there took you seriously.

You're entitled to like or dislike any ceremony, but not for the first time you're making up ridiculous facts to fit your feelings and projecting them onto the world. It's weirdly narcissistic.

I find it hard to believe I'm typing this but the empty seats at some venues had nothing to do with how well the OC went. Nothing.

And I don't want to labour this point, but your premise doesn't even work. The vibe after the OC was one of pride and the country was buzzing after some nervousness before the event. Obviously not everyone loved it, but on the whole it was very well received. Please stop projecting your own feelings about the ceremony onto unrelated events; it really is a very, very weird thing to be doing.

Edited by Rob.
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rob. said:

Absolute bollocks. This is exactly the kind of thing you spammed threads with on SSC and why, in the end, nobody there took you seriously. You're entitled to like or dislike any ceremony, but not for the first time you're making up ridiculous facts to fit your feelings and projecting them onto the world. It's weirdly narcissistic.

I find it hard to believe I'm typing this but the empty seats at some venues had nothing to do with how well the OC went. Nothing.

Please stop projecting your own feelings about the ceremony onto unrelated events; it really is a very, very weird thing to be doing.

I like discussing the subject of "Olympics."

I have an opinion, you have an opinion, others have their opinion too.

Unless this forum is like an election in a democratic system, where the majority of voters determine the winner - and I have to accept the results and say "yah!" to the candidate with the most votes - I'll have my opinion, you'll have your opinion, others will have their opinion too. And we'll be merely debating the details of "Olympics."

If my opinion is in the minority, I get that. That's just the way things are. No biggie.

I'm sure if I loved 2012 and posted lots of videos and comments full of praise for them, you'd react to my response very differently. You wouldn't feel that was as much a case of "spamming."

BTW, a lot of comments at Youtube regarding the 2012 games are full of praise. The TV ratings were very high.

At the Youtube channel run by the IOC, the vids of the 2012 games have received a very high number of viewers.

I get that.

Again, I have my opinion, other people have their opinions too.

It's not like the subject of "Olympics" is similar to discussing whether immigration is good or not, whether theft or robbery is sometimes okay or whether child or spousal abuse is occasionally a necessary evil.

• Like 2

^ Hey, Sebastian Coe in an interview not long ago said he maintains close contact with Casey Wasserman. For those not keeping track, Wasserman is the head of the 2028 OOC.

Coe is also one of the major insiders of the Olympic movement. So his influence is fairly large.

Because of my opinion of what he did to 2012? Oh-oh.

Warning, warning. Danger up ahead.

If 2028 has an opening that does to "LA/Hollywood/America" what 2012 did to "London/Pinewood/Britain," it will be fantastic. A good time will be had by all.

BTW, I don't know exactly what's going on with Pinewood Studios in London. I guess it still exists.

Let's see, who can be 2028's version of James Bond and the Spice Girls?

When the 2028 games are held, the US president in office maybe can be shown jumping out of a helicopter. Although the interior of the White House isn't quite as impressive as the inside of Buckingham Palace.

Okay, nix that idea.

Now the 2028 OOC has to come up with a US comic who can pretend to play a keyboard. Even better, a comic who can check off some additional boxes.

Ellen Degeneris, perhaps?