LA 2028 Ceremonies

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, with Drumpf's announcement that he wants a US woman on the moon by 2024 (I guess timed to distract from Paris 2024), we now know another possible Final Lighter for LA 2028.  

Right now, I'm seeing a multiple of Final Lighters for Opening Ceremony 2028:
-(1) Joan Benoit Samuelson - first woman to win the first women's Olympic marathon in LA 1984;

(2) maybe Michael Phelps for being the most decorated, living Olympian; and

(3) whomever that first US astro-lunette will be doing her thing in 2024!

Would they also include Caitlyn Jenner as the First Transgender to Light an Olympic cauldron?  Or will they reserve her for the Paralympics -- teamed up with Kaster Semenya?  wink-wink???

• 1 month later...

One of the theme's of LA 2028's Opening Ceremony -- a self-mocking The Quake!  We Shall Overcome -- which will show how Angelenos (and Californians) live through, cope and survive earthquakes.  Where Beijing and London had the Phoenix theme (well, so did Atlanta), LA will show the resiliency of the Southland and how through riot and natural disasters, the region pulls itself by its bootstraps, survives and just gets stronger each time!  What doesn't kill you, will only make you stronger!! B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Gamesbid.com's forums are way too busy. Threads upon threads, threads embedded within threads. Sheesh.

Since this thread had been dead since 2019, I'll post in here. Yea, this area is now even more a message in the bottle. So the 2028 OOC is less likely to find this, less likely to find this eventually washing onto their shoreline. But what the hell.

If the producer of the 2028 ceremonies comes up with the brilliant idea (jk) of getting this singer to perform her totally inappropriate number as part of an Olympics opening/closing, even she could be made to somewhat fit just as long she did her piece standing in front of, say, a 1,000-voice choir.

:

It's not the money, 2028 OOC. It's the format. Okay?

30 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Gamesbid.com's forums are way too busy. Threads upon threads, threads embedded within threads. Sheesh.

Since this thread had been dead since 2019, I'll post in here. Yea, this area is now even more a message in the bottle. So the 2028 OOC is less likely to find this, less likely to find this eventually washing onto their shoreline. But what the hell.

If the producer of the 2028 ceremonies comes up with the brilliant idea (jk) of getting this singer to perform her totally inappropriate number as part of an Olympics opening/closing, even she could be made to somewhat fit just as long she did her piece standing in front of, say, a 1,000-voice choir.

:

It's not the money, 2028 OOC. It's the format. Okay?

I think its still way too early to know for sure who is a shoe in. Billie has a massive GenZ following, so its not a bad marketing move to have her as part of the LA28 team. Of course also helps that she's also a LA native.

BUT, I don't like the idea of having her as an Olympic performer. She's just not the kind of caliber for that kind of thing IMO. But who knows. In 6 years a lot can change. Hopefully no more pandemics to derail future games. 

^ Correct in both posts.

Yea, Ellish wouldn't fit an Olympics ceremony, at least as I define them. But if she were presented within the format of an orchestra/strings and with a full-sized choir, even someone as inappropriate as her (and certainly her song) could be made to somewhat fit an opening or closing. It would still be a stretch, however. But Olympic ceremonies for years have been stretched beyond recognition and the breaking point.

As another example, I toy around with the idea of something as ridiculous as this being slotted into an Olympics ceremony:

These are examples of how even a totally inappropriate song like "Smells like Teen Spirit" can come off as less WTF?! if
it's at least presented in full-sound, full-chorale form.

Less formal version:

Manic version:

If a soloist had to be involved in the song, if he or she were at least backed up by a full orchestra/strings with a choir, anything can have a ceremonial, even majestic vibe. 

^ That third version has such a heroic sound about it, it comes close to the tone an Olympics ceremony should shoot for.

In general, it's not the money, 2028 OOC. It's the format. Okay?

The 2028 OOC should notice how this could have been done without the octopus blob in the middle of the field (how much did that cost to design and fabricate?), without the stage imprinted with images of what I guess are newspapers, without the surface of the running track made to look like a two-lane highway, without the cars, without the dancers, without the singer being driven around. Instead, the 2012 OOC chose a format that's more tacky LA-Hollywood-freeway than classy world-city-London-subway. WTF?! 

All this added to the budget. Was it worth it?

Jessie J could have sung, standing stationary on a stage, with the back-up of a large choir. That would have fit an Olympics better. Even without the lyrics being changed. It would have been more ceremonial, even hero-ified. Would have also cost way less "money, money" too. But, no, the 2012 OOC went the schlocko, bigger-budget route.

33 minutes ago, munichfan said:

Sometimes, reading on online forums is like watching a dog do its thing. You know there's only the same sh*t coming out every single time, but you can't look away anyway.

As a proud dog owner, I can tell you it's really not the same every single time - there's lots of variations of sh*t, just like in online forums!

4 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

As a proud dog owner, I can tell you it's really not the same every single time - there's lots of variations of sh*t, just like in online forums!

My aunt used to have a Labrador, then she downgraded to a Pekinese. Their poo-poo was/is sized and shaped very differently individually. However, throughout time, they each have been relatively consistent in their work from what I've noticed. One of them always seemed so proud of his agenda.

32 minutes ago, FYI said:

Watching anyone do their thing is more entertaining thAn :lol: these L.A. threads lately. :lol:

Seems like someone here can't value the beauty of a nice full-chorale choir. How inappropriate for a thread covering something as sacred as a four-hour TV show six-and-a-half years down the road. Duh. :rolleyes:

14 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

The 2028 OOC should notice how this could have been done without the octopus blob in the middle of the field (how much did that cost to design and fabricate?), without the stage imprinted with images of what I guess are newspapers, without the surface of the running track made to look like a two-lane highway, without the cars, without the dancers, without the singer being driven around. Instead, the 2012 OOC chose a format that's more tacky LA-Hollywood-freeway than classy world-city-London-subway. WTF?! 

All this added to the budget. Was it worth it?

Jessie J could have sung, standing stationary on a stage, with the back-up of a large choir. That would have fit an Olympics better. Even without the lyrics being changed. It would have been more ceremonial, even hero-ified. Would have also cost way less "money, money" too. But, no, the 2012 OOC went the schlocko, bigger-budget route.

Olympic2028 your post and youtube clips about a review of performances in the London 2012 OC  has nothing to do with the the topic of this thread: LA 2028 Ceremonies. 

You do not have license to go off-topic in various existing threads and flood them with irrelevant off-topic posts and youtube clips an effort to seek the attention of olympic organisers - as youyourself put it.

I suggest that moving forward, you start a new thread if you wish to critique previous Opening Ceremonies, or to fit for purpose whatever your intentions are and to be able stay on topic.

Stunning photo of SoFi Stadium, site of the announced ceremonial elements and Caukdron lighting, etc at the 2028 Los Angeles Olympic Opening Ceremony on 21 July 2028.

The Forum in the background would be a good “holding pen” for the athletes as they wait to enter the Stadium for the Parade of Nations.

From Olympics fandom is further coverage of the dual-stadium approach to both the Opening and Closing Ceremonies for the 2028 Los Angeles Summer Olympic Games:

Los Angeles 2028 Ceremonies - click to read more - Olympic Fandom

“The opening and closing ceremonies will each, for the first time, be staged across two different stadiums. The opening ceremony is to start at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and finish at the Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park, with the order reversed for the closing ceremony.”

On 1/4/2022 at 10:51 PM, AustralianFan said:

Stunning photo of SoFi Stadium, site of the announced ceremonial elements and Caukdron lighting, etc at the 2028 Los Angeles Olympic Opening Ceremony on 21 July 2028.

The Forum in the background would be a good “holding pen” for the athletes as they wait to enter the Stadium for the Parade of Nations.

That's gonna be a historic opening ceremony like no other with more than one venue. from both the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and the SoFi Stadium.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SportLightning said:

That's gonna be a historic opening ceremony like no other with more than one venue. from both the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and the SoFi Stadium.

Well, not really.  Athens 2004 opened at the ancient stadium at Olympia and then picked up at new stadium in Athens.  Not to mention, many of its Torch relays points orgiinated at the old Panathanaikos stadium in downtown Athens.  

4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, not really.  Athens 2004 opened at the ancient stadium at Olympia and then picked up at new stadium in Athens.

You mean that two-minute pre-recorded drumming sequence? I guess one could say Buckingham Palace co-hosted the London OC, then.