Doha

hektor

Anyone boosting Doha has never been there- it is an absolute dump. There is no downtown, no green space, no 'old city', no tourist sites (except a couple of isolated art galleries with nothing much in  them). There is no where to walk, to meet, and definitely no where to drink. The place is totally car borne and polluted.

How it could be so rich and so soulless and horrible is a mystery.

As for the weather, I was there in July - it was 51 degrees and 90 percent humidity. I went outside once to cross the road to get to a 7/11 and thought I would die!

etc etc

• Like 1

Also let´s not forget that it would be a social suicide for the IOC to have another questionable host country, one arguably worse than China and Russia in the hosting things departament since it wasn´t (openly at least) made with working conditions similar to slavery of all things!!

Politically speaking, the IOC making things opaque and way more corrupt for choosing their hosts, in pratice might actually help them in the long run if it make their public image better. And that´s a gigantic if on that. But freaking Doha is going to NUKE TO THE GROUND any goodwill the IOC might still have.

Doha if it´s even have the desire to be a starter, needs to work up to make their worker´s rights up and running at the bare-minimum. All other thousands of issues, social and structural, also make them non-starters in a right world but that migrant workers rights is what could kill the IOC for good if they even dare go there...and make the whole world know all of the rest for themselves. At least, we can thank this next World Cup for something alongside the amazing mascot lore.

• Like 1

Just now, Guilga said:

y, one arguably worse than China and Russia in the hosting things departament since it wasn´t (openly at least) made with working conditions similar to slavery of all things!!

By it, i mean Their games, of course.

124 degrees in July/Aug with 90% humidity sounds literally like hell on earth! Ain't no way no one in their right mind would touch that, not in the "summer" at least. Unless the Qatari's literally build a dome around Doha-ha, with all of that AC technology they promised :lol:), it ain't happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Are you speaking for the IOC?

New Norm only started in July last year.  Sochi was one of the main culprits as to why the biggest host selection changes in Olympic history have been made.

Brisbane 2032 was the first elected in history under the New Norm legacy venue rules.

The 2030 Winter Host will be the second in history.

Don’t go mouthing off that this is all a passing phase because you have basis for that, since it has only just started.

What has just started?    In case you missed it, New Norm has just started, the biggest and most radical Host Selection changes in the entire history of the Olympic movement.

Wake up, like it or not, be cynical or not, this the new way of Host Selection:   New Norm - it’s a Games Changer

Did you even read my post? 

I never said it was a passing phase. I clearly stated the New Norm does not require use of existing or temporary venues (again did you read?) It only encourages it.  Surely with the amount of knowledge you have about Brisbane you should know that by now. There's nothing to prevent the IOC from accepting a bid that would splurge on costs or building shiny new venues that don't have clear defined legacies maybe not on a Sochi level. You are also forgetting the all important influence the respective sports federations have over venues (we saw this in Tokyo and we are seeing it now in Paris). Remember it's about money not legacy. If a candidate city can offer higher capacity venues meaning more tickets are sold which equals more money then it's going to have an advantage whether it aligns with the suggestions of the New Norm or not. Of course other factors come into play such as the weather in Doha,'s case.

1 hour ago, Guilga said:

Also let´s not forget that it would be a social suicide for the IOC to have another questionable host country, one arguably worse than China and Russia in the hosting things departament since it wasn´t (openly at least) made with working conditions similar to slavery of all things!!

Politically speaking, the IOC making things opaque and way more corrupt for choosing their hosts, in pratice might actually help them in the long run if it make their public image better. And that´s a gigantic if on that. But freaking Doha is going to NUKE TO THE GROUND any goodwill the IOC might still have.

Doha if it´s even have the desire to be a starter, needs to work up to make their worker´s rights up and running at the bare-minimum. All other thousands of issues, social and structural, also make them non-starters in a right world but that migrant workers rights is what could kill the IOC for good if they even dare go there...and make the whole world know all of the rest for themselves. At least, we can thank this next World Cup for something alongside the amazing mascot lore.

The IOC only pays lip service to the human rights issue. It has no bearing on them choosing an Olympics host. While the plight of the migrant workers in Qatar (and most of the Gulf) is horrifying, the fact the IOC has gone to China twice now including while their government is conducting a state-sponsored genocide program, tells me they wouldn't really pay much attention to the migrant worker issues in a hypothetical Qatar bid.

I do agree that the secrecy and opaqueness of the host selection process is supposed to help the IOC clean up their PR image (though I've argued in another thread how it's only a half-hearted effort). Essentially I think the IOC had determined even with more flexibility and dialogue intending to keep costs down that only a handful of regions can actually host a SOGs logistically and keep costs under control. Those are the USA, Canada, Western Europe, Russia, China, Japan, Korea, and Australia. That eliminates all of Africa, South America, and most of Asia. If the process leads to a string of Olympics that come in at or under budget with viable legacies then the IOC's PR image might improve. Of course the opposite could also happen. 

It also affords the opportunity for the IOC to save face and cut bait with the likes of Doha before the host city selection process gets serious.

48 minutes ago, stryker said:

The IOC only pays lip service to the human rights issue. It has no bearing on them choosing an Olympics host. While the plight of the migrant workers in Qatar (and most of the Gulf) is horrifying, the fact the IOC has gone to China twice now including while their government is conducting a state-sponsored genocide program, tells me they wouldn't really pay much attention to the migrant worker issues in a hypothetical Qatar bid.

To be fair, they had little choice with Beijing 2022 (damned if they did, damned if they didn’t) and by the time the genocide evidence started surfacing they were in too deep to cut and run. And the whole Agenda 2020 thing (which as well as “encouraging” existing facilities also paid lip-service to tougher stages for “clean” sport) was very much prompted by the horrible legacy of Sochi earlier in the year. From statements they were making during Beijing 2022 and in the aftermath with the Ukraine invasion, I think there’s clear signs they’ve got a bit fed-up with how the authoritarian states blatant misuse of the games, and realise the bad PR such games are giving. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure for many IOC members it’s more a case of looking after their own interests than trust altruism, but I think it’s clear they realise they have to distance themselves a bit from such regimes for their own good.

Nevertheless, Doha’s climate makes an easy and highly valid excuse for no go anyway, beyond their medieval political structure.

4 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

Yes yet Qatar does have thing in common with "common" olympic bids. Experience, venues in place, and a developing sporting community. As someone said in another thread this was australia's golden decade because of the sporting event they will host. Well qatar will not only do the same, since 2006 they have been hosting a lot of sports world cups, incluiding athletics, handball, gymnastics, not mentioning the upcoming FIFA world cup (the largest single sporting even in the world), the FINA world cup and of couse the asian games 2006 AND 2030 (the 2nd biggest multi-sport even in the world), so its not like we are going into an ahmedabad bid without the venues. By the time qatar would be selected as olympic host, they would have quite an arrange of venues, sporting facilities and touristic facilities. The only real con is the time frame, but if FIFA moved it why olympics dont

There a lot of cons.  But yea, the time frame is the big one.  FIFA clearly made a really dumb decision in giving the World Cup to Qatar and eventually having to move it from their preferred window.  Why would the IOC, even if they weren't more steadfast on the dates, want to copy that terrible decision?

Qatar is an awful place to host an Olympics for a lot of reasons.  Sure, they have more money they know what to do with, but look at all the alterations they need to make when hosting these big events.  Not going to be worth it for the IOC. 

10 hours ago, stryker said:

Yes complete with remote controlled clouds to block out the sun just like they proposed for the WC. Yes this considered. The cooling technology to vastly lower temperatures to a safe level for competition in a place like Doha during the summer months isn't feasible. And it's not just the heat either. I'd argue the humidity is actually worse. I lived in Abu Dhabi for four years and summer humidity levels easily reach 80-90 percent especially in the early hours of the morning and evenings.

I read the insidethegames editorial and it reminds me a lot of the talk right after South Africa hosted the WC. There was lots of chatter about how it set up South Africa perfectly to bid for an Olympics. Even the late Jacques Rogge said so. It's not possible for Doha and the IOC isn't going to go outside the hosting window and risk alienating NBC if they indeed re-sign for broadcasting rights. An Olympics in fall or winter would put them in direct competition with the likes of the NFL, European football, baseball and college football. That's a crowded sports calendar.

Of note that I found eyebrow raising in the editorial was the fact that privately the Qataris were furious about the way Brisbane was selected which echos the response the DOSB had.  Now that two countries have come out and said the process was opaque and in secret then I'd say it's fairly likely that's how it went down. One country or Olympic committee criticizing the process is one thing. Two makes it even more suspicious.

Maybe end of year dates for Doha to host the Olympics would be more feasible.

2 minutes ago, SportLightning said:

Maybe end of year dates for Doha to host the Olympics would be more feasible.

Or maybe the IOC can find a city that doesn't need to have the Summer Olympics at the end of the year.  If Doha can't host in the preferred window, then they don't have to be considered.  Ask the folks in Australia how that worked out for them where they chose Brisbane as their candidate over Melbourne

18 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Or maybe the IOC can find a city that doesn't need to have the Summer Olympics at the end of the year.  If Doha can't host in the preferred window, then they don't have to be considered.  Ask the folks in Australia how that worked out for them where they chose Brisbane as their candidate over Melbourne

I mean if Doha find their end of years dates of what year if they're bidding would be the late year either 2036, 2040 or 2044 dates would be feasible like they did with the 2006 Asian Games and would do it again for 2030.

6 minutes ago, SportLightning said:

I mean if Doha find their end of years dates of what year if they're bidding would be the late year either 2036, 2040 or 2044 dates would be feasible like they did with the 2006 Asian Games and would do it again for 2030.

They can propose that, but odds are the IOC won't be interested.  They would need to be pretty desperate to feel compelled to consider a November/December Summer Olympics.  That's a tough enough sell for the World Cup.  It'd be like trying to sell a snow cone to an Eskimo for them to do it with the Olympics

• Thanks 1