Innovations/new stuff for upcoming Olympics

Events that I would like to see in future Olympics:

WINTER OLYMPICS

Speed skiing (men's and women's): After watching a report on 60 Minutes Friday on speed skiing and the endless pursuit for the extremes of human endurance, I feel that speed skiing should be a medal event in the Winter Olympics. It just looks so cool, and it would bring in a new audience to the Games.

Acroski (men's and women's): This used to be part of international freestyle skiing competition, and was a demonstration sport in Albertville, albeit under the name "ballet". I actually think that it's cool to see people do triples on snow with skis. I wonder why this was axed from FIS competition?

100 metres (men's and women's): This is the newest individual event in the long-track speed skating program. It is the shortest event being contested in winter sports these days, and it would be a great addition to the Winter Olympics. Plus, the men on skates are faster than Asafa Powell and the women on skates are faster than Florence Griffith-Joyner.

Synchronized skating: If they can make room for ice dancing, then this sport should be in the Games. It can be done in the same venue as figure skating and short track, and the competitions can be held on days when neither short track nor figure skating are in competition.

Dual moguls: It's fun to see freestyle mogulists do their bumping and jumping solo, but it would be cool to see how they match head to head.

Question: will there ever be women's ski jumping and Nordic combined in legitimate international competition?

SUMMER OLYMPICS

Solo event in synchro swimming: The Sylvie Frechette controversy in 1992 was why they killed the solo event from the Olympics. And it's a shame, because if solo were still in the Games, Virginie Dedieu of France would have been Olympic champion. I saw her compete at the 2003 worlds on television, and she was phenomenal! There is room and a half for solo synchro to make a return to the Olympic Games.

Rugby sevens (men's and women's): How dare they not make this sport an Olympic event?!

Countries and territories that I would like to see compete in the Games:

Anguilla

Faeroe Islands

Gibraltar

Greenland

Macau (Why is it that Macau's NOC is recognized by the Olympic Council of Asia, but not the International Olympic Committee?)

Marshall Islands

Northern Mariana Islands

Turks and Caicos

Countries and territories that I would like to see compete in the Games:

Anguilla

Faeroe Islands

Gibraltar

Greenland

Macau (Why is it that Macau's NOC is recognized by the Olympic Council of Asia, but not the International Olympic Committee?)

Marshall Islands

Northern Mariana Islands

Turks and Caicos

Welcome, Alex.

For the events you have suggested, I am sure there are valid logistical and/or other extenuating circumstances as to why they are not included or have NOT returned to the regular programme.

Now about the territories.  The IOC charter states something to the effect that to have an officially recognized, accredited NOC, it must represent a self-administering, independent territory -- so that the IOC member, should the NOC have one -- represents the IOC to that goverment.  

- Faroe Islands & Greenland (Danish territory)

- Gibraltar (I guess like the Falklands - and I don't know what the exact Crown terminology is - still a British colony)

- Macau (if the HKG NOC is a mere token one, and Taiwan can only participate under a neutral Olympic flag, what more tiny Macau.  I would venture to guess that its membership in the Olympic Council of Asia is another token vestige of old days, and won't last too long.  HKG and Taiwan exist in the IOC at the mercy of Beijing. )  

- Marshall Islands, Northern Marianas - these are U.S. administered territories, so they do not qualify to have their own NOCs.  Puerto Rico has one because this is from the 30s, I believe when the IOC was struggling to attract members, and so wasn't really nit-picky about exact independence status.  

I don't know about Anguilla and Turks & Caicos.

Archived