11th Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Comp

OK, let's gooooo...take it away Marc!

Thank you to T-Rex for kicking us off (just go with it, we got a TARDIS), & a warm welcome to the eleventh Annual GamesBids Olympic Logo Design Comp, launching somewhat early due to the IOC deciding that there really is such a thing as an offer you can't refuse. Anyway, before we get going it's only right & proper to properly thank the comp's two legends: Thatsnotmypuppy, Pikachu, thank you for creating this idea initially, & Sir Rols, Fatso (it's the wombat's name, ok), thank you for bringing it to this point & for being the general good egg/sounding board once again here. If this hits the heights of those previous events, I'd be more amazed than if Portugal won Eurovision. Wait...

Right then, I'm tempted to sue T-Rex under the Trade Descriptions Act, because this isn't a revolution, it's a continuation - there'll be no wild experimentation this time *board exhales*. We have the traditional logo comp format - one summer city & one winter one. To introduce them, we have a couple of special guests, so to introduce our summer city for 2017, please welcome Mister RANDY NEWMAN!

LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 2028

Los Angeles skyline

That looks more wintry than intended...oh well. Yes, we are continuing with a grand tradition dating back to comps for Rio 2016, Tokyo 2020, & even Paris 2024 (eat that, Nostradamus), with an aim of showing the future organisers how it should be done, & maybe get into a few Google Image Searches along the way. This is America's Olympic (& entertainment) capital, one of the world's most famous cities, so surely there's plenty to draw from to create a 2028 logo that can follow on from the iconic Stars In Motion:

1984 Summer Olympics logo.svg

as Tinseltown prepares to make its third mark on the Olympic history books. And who knows, maybe with the help of Google, you might even be able to fool some people that your logo really is the real deal :P 

So, summing up, we want a host city logo for the Games of the XXIV Olympiad in Los Angeles in 2028. Who knows, they might already be looking.

But it is not just summer. As is tradition, there's a winter bit too, and to introduce that, please welcome our next special guest, and it's a big one - ladies & gentlemen, Mister BILLY JOEL!

(Yes, I know it's out of date, but don't worry, Vlad isn't playing #ThrowbackThursday again - you try finding a song called St Petersburg :p)

SAINT PETERSBURG, RUSSIAN FEDERATION 2030

1110px-PalaceSquareNight.jpg

Yes, it's the Cold War of logo comps which brings us to the second city of Russia - so good they named it 3 times, and a city that has actually bid for the Winter Games before. Ok, it was for 1994, it was still in the USSR, it was still called Leningrad, & nothing came of it (except a mascot apparently) but other than that, everything's the same. Whatever, the city's rich history should lend itself well to producing some great Winter Olympic logos - at least compared to the last Olympic logo from post-Soviet Russia:

2014 Winter Olympics logo.svg

The bar is set low :P Again, to sum up, we want a host city logo for the XXVI Winter Olympic Games in St Petersburg in 2030. Don't fry your brain thinking about how they'd actually stage the thing.

-------------------------------------------------------

Next bit - the general rules, advice, stuff etc that hasn't really changed from previous years:

We are after logos for that encompass the overall feel of the city and local influences that can be tied into a design concept. How can any of these cities articulate graphically what they could bring to future Olympics hosting? What flavour will they bring to the games? What will Vlad & Donald think of it?

The logos should be presented as full colour designs on white background. If you like, however, they can also be presented in black and white or utilised in forms like street banners, t-shirts, apps, vehicles, pins etc. For voting purposes, the main (colour) logo will be used on the polls, & extra stuff is not obligatory, but any extra material you produce may help you “sell” your design better to the wider GamesBids voting membership.

These logos are for HOST cities. So you can use the rings, and don't need to include the words “Candidate City, Olympic Games 2028/30” or whatever the IOC want this week.

Post your preliminary submissions on this thread. If you want to hold anything back to be presented as a “surprise” when voting starts you can contact me or Rols via PM and I'll tell you where you can send the extra material. However, it would be nice to see as many on-thread submissions as possible for people to chew over in-thread.

Feel free to post as many logo designs as you like, & to ask for feedback from our famously discerning electorate. If you really can't decide between your own designs, feel free to start a poll (or to ask for one to be started). When the time comes for voting, however, you will be asked to settle on ONE official logo in each category (winter and summer) as your official entry.

The competition is open to all members of GamesBids, or to any new legitimate members who join before the end of the submission period. I, with consultation, will rule on the legitimacy of new members.

As you would expect, I will rule on any disputes - always aiming to be as fair as possible in the process. As always, just remember, this is all meant to be fun. Olympic spirit, remember?. 

Hopefully this will spark up some action on the board. I'll be dipping in, keeping a close eye on things, but otherwise will try and keep hands (paws?) off until the polling stages.

The deadline for submissions is 12PM London time on IOC decision  confirmation day, SEPTEMBER 13, 2017 - so hopefully the lead-up to this will spark some board activity. We will thus begin the road to 2024/8/6  too awkward - hopefully with activity from the session's aftermath with the voting for short lists, followed by the final round polls.

And this is just to alert @Rob. to the existence of the new comp in the hope that he'll do his traditional bit of putting up links to various free design programs etc for the benefit of those who want to take part but may not have the facility at the moment.

All that is left to say is thank you Rols once again, and to all participants for having the guts to put your logos up for the annual GamesBids dissection, & may the best logos win. GOOD LUCK/удачи! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ry0f5xa.jpg

Hi. This is my first time trying to join this competition, as long as I'm accepted as a legitimate member. I've found this design competition from the net and this time I decided to debut in it. So anyways, here is my logo for Saint Petersburg. I will try to make one logo for LA, but I'm currently seeking for inspiration and idea :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VIK said:

Hi. This is my first time trying to join this competition, as long as I'm accepted as a legitimate member. I've found this design competition from the net and this time I decided to debut in it. So anyways, here is my logo for Saint Petersburg. I will try to make one logo for LA, but I'm currently seeking for inspiration and idea :)

Really great first time work! Impressive.

My official submission: 

XxvyLjr.png

The logo is a refreshed version of the 1984 Olympic logo and combines elements of that games and the current bid logo. Los Angeles is a city of stars and some of the most breathtaking sunsets in the world; this logo encapsulates the city in that regard. It's active elements and active typeface symbolize that LA is young, vibrant, and passionate about sport. The remaining typefaces represent LA's ability to merge modernity and classicalism. The rings as always are required by the IOC. 

What makes this brand stand out is how it will be applied throughout the city in the run-up to and during the games. You've already seen the posters as posted above, but below you'll find how the brand will be used in various different colors and applications:

Color Scheme:

F7ozWGo.png

Poster:

2sFg1Ae.png

Banners:

Tn1Eo5y.png

• Like 1

1759226.png

7053312.png

My starting point was of course the city itself. St. Petersburg is cultural capital and has rich cultural heritage, which includes palaces, cathedrals, churches, gardens, sculptures and monuments. From all this information I realized that I want logo who reflects the authenticity and the classic vibe of the city.

I found out about the khokhloma- Russian wood painting style and national ornament, which is known for its vivid flower patterns, and the effect it has when applied to wooden tableware or furniture, making it look heavier and metal-like. I want the athletes who will come to the olympics to feel the same thing on them- to be tougher and stronger like metal.

To create more connection to the olympics, I chose to use the olympic flame, which represent the inner fire of any athlete, their passion and energy.

• Like 3

On 8/14/2017 at 1:49 PM, mr.bernham said:

My official submission: 

XxvyLjr.png

Look - I am not a sore potential loser in any way mean or form but I am calling bullshit on this one.

All you have done is adapt an existing logo.  You've used the same font as an existing current bid logo and really only changed the colour scheme.

I like the posters and banners but your logo is in no way, mean or form creative or original.

310_olympic1984.jpg

Just now, thatsnotmypuppy said:

Look - I am not a sore potential loser in any way mean or form but I am calling bullshit on this one.

All you have done is adapt an existing logo.  You've used the same font as an existing current bid logo and really only changed the colour scheme.

I like the posters and banners but your logo is in no way, mean or form creative or original.

310_olympic1984.jpg

Both of these are things I point out in my submission. This was more of an excuse for me to just take the '84 logo and the '24 typography and kinda just put them together and see what would be created. 

13 hours ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

310_olympic1984.jpg

5 hours ago, paul said:

...at first i though........Oh...

andy_warhol_prince_paintings_-_split_-_p

...then i thought.....OK.....

andy-warhol-marilyn1-865x577.jpg

...then i though......OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH....

posters2.jpg

posterlarge.jpg

Paul, I love ya and you're logos have always inspired me to do better in graphic design, but like did you seriously spend time searching for things that looked similar to my posters to claim that I plagiarized other peoples work and didn't give proper credit? I honestly hadn't seen those posters before...it looks like someone made them for a Seattle bid?

13 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

Paul, I love ya and you're logos have always inspired me to do better in graphic design, but like did you seriously spend time searching for things that looked similar to my posters to claim that I plagiarized other peoples work and didn't give proper credit? I honestly hadn't seen those posters before...it looks like someone made them for a Seattle bid?

Oh no......I didn't search for anything related to your design......I was searching Los Angeles 2028 the other day and this guy Jacob Sandford's portfolio popped up....he did a project for Seattle 2028. I'm always curious to see any Oly design stuff. So then when I saw your posters (which I loved) the color and photographic elements, the proportion, and particular the compositional cues where like deja-vu. They aren't the same at all.......and I don't think you copied. By the way, I copy all the time.......copying is my favorite!

posters2.jpg

NzWLH2g.jpg

Edited by paul
  • Like 1