Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Bear said:

We have a new CEO! And he's a... retired US Army lieutenant general??? and worked for the CIA??? well that's certainly something!

"A U.S. Army and National Guard veteran, Hoover earned the rank of Lieutenant General, with three stars. Most recently, Hoover served as Deputy Commander, U.S. Northern Command at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado Springs from 2016 until he retired in 2018. Among his many military assignments, he oversaw logistics as Commander, Joint Sustainment Command Afghanistan, during Operation Enduring Freedom from 2009 until 2010, and he commanded the 167th Theater Sustainment Command from 2011 until 2014. Hoover’s early military career was focused on explosive ordnance disposal, including during Operation Desert Storm in 1990 and 1991, for which he was awarded a Bronze Star. Hoover also provided military explosive ordnance disposal support at the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City, Utah. Upon his retirement in 2018, he was awarded the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, the highest non-combat award and the highest joint service decoration in the Department of Defense."

"Hoover also served in several senior civilian roles in the federal government, including the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) as Chief of Staff from 2002-2003, then as Director, Office of National Security Coordination from 2003-2005. He also served as Special Assistant to the President (George W. Bush) for Homeland Security from 2005-2007; and, worked as Deputy Director, Office of Public Affairs and Logistics Support Officer at the Central Intelligence Agency from 2011 until 2016, retiring in 2018."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/story/2024-06-05/la28-names-retired-lieutenant-general-reynold-hoover-its-new-ceo

https://la28.org/en/newsroom/la28-announces-new-ceo.html

I wanted to make a joke by saying that this probably meant that American athletes would arrive by aircraft carrier at the opening ceremony of LA 2028. But when I think about it seriously, I tell myself that this choice, although surprising, is ultimately rather logical and intelligent: if there is one category of people who are competent in terms of logistics (and this is so important when organizing the Olympics), it is the army and the generals. And as there will be a very important need in terms of security, it is not stupid to trust former soldiers for this either. And what's more, he obviously has experience in public relations (which is also very important for the Olympics) given his career in the American administration.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sebastien1214 said:

I wanted to make a joke by saying that this probably meant that American athletes would arrive by aircraft carrier at the opening ceremony of LA 2028. But when I think about it seriously, I tell myself that this choice, although surprising, is ultimately rather logical and intelligent: if there is one category of people who are competent in terms of logistics (and this is so important when organizing the Olympics), it is the army and the generals. And as there will be a very important need in terms of security, it is not stupid to trust former soldiers for this either. And what's more, he obviously has experience in public relations (which is also very important for the Olympics) given his career in the American administration.

i think you're right, especially on logistics and security. Even if the OCOG isn't directly in charge of security, I'm sure he can bring something to the table in that regard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they've got someone in Hoover who is even OVER-qualified for the job.  The man seems to touch all the bases needed to run that huge a show that is large and that complex.  The plate is more than what Ueberroth, Billy Payne and Mitt Romney managed.  I hope he has a good fiscal sense, too.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Simone Biles has won her 9th US National title sending her to the Paris games. More Olympic titles next month surely will seal her in for lighting the cauldron at LA 2028

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Planning for the Cultural Olympiad begins as the organizing committee has named Maria Arena Bell as chair of the LA28 Cultural Olympiad:

https://la28.org/en/newsroom/la28-names-chair-of-cultural-olympiad.html

Maria Arena Bell is an Emmy-winning writer and producer, has chaired the Museum of Contemporary Art's board, chaired P.S. Arts, an organization that provides art education programs throughout SoCal, and has been appointed to the LA Cultural Affairs Commission, among other things.

The link also contains some (as of right now, sort of generic) info regarding what we might expect from the Cultural Olympiad 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, venuedesignlover said:

Any news on the venues for the new sports they are introducing? 

No, not yet unfortunately. They'll probably be announced after Paris 2024 at this rate...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bear said:

No, not yet unfortunately. They'll probably be announced after Paris 2024 at this rate...

Yeah, after the deck has cleared of all the Paris Games.  And then they got all the early OKs from the new Federations involved.  I'd guess maybe around September-October.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

STRANGE FEELING.

Was watching the US Diving trials and the commentators then mentioned . . . " so-and-so is probably holding back on retiring this year because of 2028 or . . .  someone who just retired might think of a comeback in anticipation of 2028 because . . . there is nothing like competing at a home Olympics!"  It just sounded so strange hearing it because here we are on the eve of a new Olympics, and these experts are already predicting/handicapping the extension of retirement for those who couldn't make it to Team USA this year and at the same predicting that some of the oldies might come out of retirement just to be able to dive again at LA28--another four years hence! 

Their comments just gave me quite an "odd, time-travel sensation" and I'm not even an actual Olympic athlete.  To me, it just shows the enduring allure of this quadrennial phenomenon that began eons ago in that little enclave in the Peloponnese called Olympia.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some thoughts here. In terms of Sofi being used for swimming, I cannot say I'm surprised as the whole Dedeaux Field option seemed more challenging and not as cost effective. Curious as to where the warm-up pool will go? Also, I cannot remember the site but I am fairly certain I read that capacity as Sofi for swimming will be 38,000. If so, might that mean dividing the stadium in half the way Atlanta did with the Georgia Dome? Ironically, this plan is not all that dissimilar fro. The original plan which called for aquatics to be held at the LAFC stadium. Softball in OKC makes sense. It's IMO the world's premier facility. Ive seen a couple CWS games there.

Interesting that no announcement was made regarding wrestling and judo which Wasserman stated in an interview not long ago would be moved out of Pauley Pavilion due to logistics concerns with UCLA being used as the Athletes Village. I assume either they are staying put or a new venue hasn't been decided on. Maybe the Forum now that gymnastics is back at Crypto.com Arena? I also assume that all of basketball will be at Intuit and the LA Convention Center will no longer be needed for women's preliminaries. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, stryker said:

Some thoughts here. In terms of Sofi being used for swimming, I cannot say I'm surprised as the whole Dedeaux Field option seemed more challenging and not as cost effective. Curious as to where the warm-up pool will go? Also, I cannot remember the site but I am fairly certain I read that capacity as Sofi for swimming will be 38,000. If so, might that mean dividing the stadium in half the way Atlanta did with the Georgia Dome? Ironically, this plan is not all that dissimilar fro. The original plan which called for aquatics to be held at the LAFC stadium. Softball in OKC makes sense. It's IMO the world's premier facility. Ive seen a couple CWS games there.

Interesting that no announcement was made regarding wrestling and judo which Wasserman stated in an interview not long ago would be moved out of Pauley Pavilion due to logistics concerns with UCLA being used as the Athletes Village. I assume either they are staying put or a new venue hasn't been decided on. Maybe the Forum now that gymnastics is back at Crypto.com Arena? I also assume that all of basketball will be at Intuit and the LA Convention Center will no longer be needed for women's preliminaries. 

Judo and Wrestling are those black-box sports which will go, I think, to the LA Convention Center--with seating capacities around 5K each.  

The set-up at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy currently being used for the on-going US Swim Trials is pretty much the blueprint for what will happen at SoFi.  So, everything as laid out at Lucas, is a trial-run for SoFi'28.  

(I think they are holding back the Kia Forum for the last-minute re-entry of Boxing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Column: Listen to Shohei Ohtani, Manfred. Prioritize 2028 Olympics over All-Star Game

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2024-07-15/shohei-ohtani-2028-olympics-mlb

Quote

“There’s nothing more worldwide than the Olympics,” Harper told reporters. “I watch the most random sports in the Olympics because it’s the Olympics, and that’s really cool.”

This is so true. I know this has been touched upon here at GB's before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

unsure of whether to post here or on the Paris 2024 thread, so i'll be posting here as the delegations are only happening because of our status as the next Olympic host -

https://www.latimes.com/california/newsletter/2024-07-20/la-on-the-record-newsletter-city-leaders-head-to-paris-l-a-on-the-record

LA Mayor Karen Bass will be part of the Presidential Delegation to the Opening Ceremony, staying in Paris from the 25th to the 27th. She will then fly back to LA, returning to Paris on August 7 for the flag handover on the 11th. She will also return for the Paralympic Games. She will be joined by the deputy mayor and the deputy mayor of international affairs.

At the LA84 40th Anniversary Celebration, she said the following regarding the flag handover -

“At the closing ceremony, I have to receive the flag and I have to waive the flag like this, and so what I said to [LA84 Foundation President] Renata [Simril], ‘Renata, you’ve got to give me that flag so I can start to practice.’ I looked at YouTube and I saw the closing ceremony in Tokyo, so I know what’s going to happen, but I have to make sure that my shoulders are in shape, because I heard it’s heavy.” (quote from 07/16/24 TSX Report)

LA City Council President Paul Krekorian will be in Paris for the entire duration of the Olympic Games, arriving on the 24th and returning on the 12th. He will be joined by Councilmembers Traci Park, head of the LACC ad-hoc committee on the Olympic Games, who will be in Paris from August 8 - 12, and Monica Rodriguez, head of the LACC public safety committee who will be in Paris during "the first part of the Games". All three will be overseeing how the city of Paris is handling the Games. For the Paralympic Games, Councilmember Imelda Padilla will attend.

Delegations from LAPD and Metro will also attend.

This of course is in addition to the LA28 delegation who will be overseeing the Paris 2024 Organizing Committee's organization of the Games.

NBC LA will also be sending one of their anchors, Colleen Williams, with Karen Bass when she returns to Paris for the handover. Unsure of what her role will be though, she didn't really go into detail when she announced it on air the other day. Maybe a "behind the scenes" reporting?

---

irrelevant to above, KTLA (local TV station) aired a 30 minute special today called "From Paris to LA" where tv reporter Sandra Mitchell talked about Paris' preparations and what it means for LA. From what I saw, they'll be re-airing it a few more times during Paris 2024. It's always cool to see what the non-rights holding broadcasters come up with to coincide with the Games.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I meant by a televised national address, not by some silly Twatter account (which is now owned by a dubious individual TBW) that can easily be hacked. :rolleyes:

But regardless (from other meaningful news sources that aren't Twatter), if word is he is now endorsing Harris, then the rest of the party better follow suit. Cause according to AOC the other day, the ones who were calling him to bow out, were not really wanting Harris, either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, FYI said:

I meant by a televised national address, not by some silly Twatter account (which is now owned by a dubious individual TBW) that can easily be hacked. :rolleyes:

But regardless (from other meaningful news sources that aren't Twatter), if word is he is now endorsing Harris, then the rest of the party better follow suit. Cause according to AOC the other day, the ones who were calling him to bow out, were not really wanting Harris, either.

Everything was confirmed this very first minute by AFP and Reuters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, FYI said:

I meant by a televised national address, not by some silly Twatter account (which is now owned by a dubious individual TBW) that can easily be hacked. :rolleyes:

But regardless (from other meaningful news sources that aren't Twatter), if word is he is now endorsing Harris, then the rest of the party better follow suit. Cause according to AOC the other day, the ones who were calling him to bow out, were not really wanting Harris, either.

It's joever dude, you don't need to keep riding with Biden 🫣

from the DNC - https://democrats.org/news/statement-from-dnc-chair-jaime-harrison/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...