I don’t think the Pan-Pacs require a village. Like most individual sport events or championships, they get put up at hotels etc. not sure if its the organiser or the participating teams who foots the bill.

It’s a nice event to have. After the Olympics and the World championships, probably the third most important swim meet.

I know LA is planning on using a temporary pool, but where is it? Any chance they could test it out for the Pan-Pacs?

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

I don’t think the Pan-Pacs require a village. Like most individual sport events or championships, they get put up at hotels etc. not sure if its the organiser or the participating teams who foots the bill.

It’s a nice event to have. After the Olympics and the World championships, probably the third most important swim meet.

I know LA is planning on using a temporary pool, but where is it? Any chance they could test it out for the Pan-Pacs?

the temporary pool will be located on the USC baseball stadium, so it likely wont be ready until early 2028

6 minutes ago, Bear said:

the temporary pool will be located on the USC baseball stadium, so it likely wont be ready until early 2028

That’s a pity. A bit funny having a test event, that doesn’t use the actual Games venue.

For some reason I thought it was Long Beach. Thanks for the info.

I'm not too stoked on LA28 using a temporary aquatics center at Dedeaux, but that's the one venue we don't have ready to go :(. I actually liked the first concept of having it at the LAFC stadium, I feel like that would have been slightly easier and cheaper to prepare.

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I looked it up and the 2010 event in Irvine only had 22 nations participating.  The 2018 event only had 17 nations.  I was thinking the same thing as you that it's the next biggest competition aside from the Olympics and the Worlds, mostly because the US and Australia are both there, but it's definitely not a large scale event.

I'm curious to see where they'll have it, especially since I would like to attend.  No idea where they'll put it.  Much less infrastructure needed compared to the worlds which includes diving, water polo, and synchro.  This is just swimming, so all they need is a main pool and a temporary pool.  Far from impossible this could wind up in an arena, similar to how they do the US trials in Omaha.

1 hour ago, Bear said:

I'm not too stoked on LA28 using a temporary aquatics center at Dedeaux, but that's the one venue we don't have ready to go :(. I actually liked the first concept of having it at the LAFC stadium, I feel like that would have been slightly easier and cheaper to prepare.

I keep looking at the renderings and wonder how they plan on making it work because very little of the temporary structure seems like it's using anything existing at Dedeaux and they'll largely re-build that after the Olympics.  I agree there would have been better solutions for this problem than what they came up with

15 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I looked it up and the 2010 event in Irvine only had 22 nations participating.  The 2018 event only had 17 nations.  I was thinking the same thing as you that it's the next biggest competition aside from the Olympics and the Worlds, mostly because the US and Australia are both there, but it's definitely not a large scale event.

I wasn’t referring particularly to the size, rather the quality. US and Australia, plus Japan, China and Canada really makes it the most elite outside the Olympics and the WCs. Only the European championships rival it.

6 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I wasn’t referring particularly to the size, rather the quality. US and Australia, plus Japan, China and Canada really makes it the most elite outside the Olympics and the WCs. Only the European championships rival it.

The nation count was more a reference to the comment about not needing a village rather than to speak to the size and stature of the event.  Michael Phelps competed at every edition from 2002 through 2014, so that probably speaks to its prestige.  And yes, the meet's history was that it was created as a means for non-European nations to have an additional event on the calendar which has meant expanding it beyond only including nations that border the Pacific Ocean

7 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I keep looking at the renderings and wonder how they plan on making it work because very little of the temporary structure seems like it's using anything existing at Dedeaux and they'll largely re-build that after the Olympics.  I agree there would have been better solutions for this problem than what they came up with

I think they're tearing down the old "baseball stadium" there.  That's why USC is willing to let it go; and then they get a brand-new facility after '28.  

7 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I think they're tearing down the old "baseball stadium" there.  That's why USC is willing to let it go; and then they get a brand-new facility after '28.  

Exactly, that's what confused me for a long time.  This is hardly a temporary overlay using existing infrastructure like what they're doing at the Coliseum.  This is a brand new structure in what might as well have been a parking lot and when they tear it down, they'll build something newer and probably bigger.  USC currently has one of the smaller capacity baseball stadiums in what's soon no longer going to be the Pac-12.  And they've been guaranteed they'll only be out of commission for 1 season.  Work will begin on the swim stadium in the fall of 2027 and they can start re-building late summer of 2028.

Three Sports are being hosted at Dedeaux Field at LA 2028.

1. Swimming
  2. Diving
  3. Artistic Swimming

The two existing permanent USC Uytengsu Aquatics Center pools will be training and warm-up swimming and diving pools for 2028

Youtube:  LA2028 Venues - Dedeaux Field

These two permanent pools also hosted the LA 1984 Olympic Swimming and Diving competitions.  They are both very close to the two LA2028 temporary pools to be installed on Dedeaux Field with 20,000 capacity temporary grandstands.

4e3bMHF.jpg

If you look at existing images of Dedeaux Field, they bear little resemble to this other than the existence of the pool.  Again, this is not an overlay using existing infrastructure.  This is a brand new temporary facility being put up that could just as easily be in a parking lot somewhere else.  You would never know from that image that there is currently a baseball field there.

5 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

If you look at existing images of Dedeaux Field, they bear little resemble to this other than the existence of the pool.  Again, this is not an overlay using existing infrastructure.  This is a brand new temporary facility being put up that could just as easily be in a parking lot somewhere else.  You would never know from that image that there is currently a baseball field there.

These temporary grandstands and the two temporary pools are being being built on the baseball field.  

The location was chosen because it is next to two existing permanent swimming and diving pools which will be training and warmup pools at LA2028.

So at this LA2028 venue, 4 pools in total:

2 x diving pools:  1 temporary (competition) + 1 existing (warm-up/training)

2 x swimming pools:  1 temporary (competition) + 1 existing (warm-up trading

40 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

These temporary grandstands and the two temporary pools are being being built on the baseball field.  

The location was chosen because it is next to two existing permanent swimming and diving pools which will be training and warmup pools at LA2028.

So at this LA2028 venue, 4 pools in total:

2 x diving pools:  1 temporary (competition) + 1 existing (warm-up/training)

2 x swimming pools:  1 temporary (competition) + 1 existing (warm-up trading

I have no issue with the location based on the proximity to the existing pool.  That makes sense.  But here's the image of Dedeaux on LA28's website.  Compare the to the renderings of the temporary pool and look at how much infrastructure it seems like they're tearing down to make it happen.  That's the part I'm not a fan of.  If this is part of USC's master plan to build a better baseball stadium, that's all well and good.  My point is that let's not pretend this is like, say, most beach volleyball venues where they're putting up the temporary stands and don't have to take anything out to build it.

Dedeaux.jpg

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I have no issue with the location based on the proximity to the existing pool.  That makes sense.  But here's the image of Dedeaux on LA28's website.  Compare the to the renderings of the temporary pool and look at how much infrastructure it seems like they're tearing down to make it happen.  That's the part I'm not a fan of.  If this is part of USC's master plan to build a better baseball stadium, that's all well and good.  My point is that let's not pretend this is like, say, most beach volleyball venues where they're putting up the temporary stands and don't have to take anything out to build it.

Dedeaux.jpg

Dedeaux Field will only be out of action for 1 year only so whatever is happening after the Games is going to have to be very quick.

What exactly is the baseball team getting after the Games is the question.

Someone mentioned above they saw “plans” for this.  Would be good to see those 

1 minute ago, AustralianFan said:

Dedeaux Field will only be out of action for 1 year only so whatever is happening after the Games is going to have to be very quick.

@Quaker2001 Just looking at the image you provided, why wouldn’t they just install both  pool in the centre of the existing field and also erect those temporary grandstands entirely within the existing baseball field of play?

Yes, repairs would need to be done to the baseball field of play from the temporary  Olympic overlay, the same as after concerts.

But are they, and why would they, remove the existing baseball grandstands?  

16 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

8 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

@Quaker2001 Just looking at the image you provided, why wouldn’t they just install both  pool in the centre of the existing field and also erect those temporary grandstands entirely within the existing baseball field of play?

Yes, repairs would need to be done to the baseball field of play from the temporary  Olympic overlay, the same as after concerts.

That they're now saying that Dedeaux will get new facilities (doesn't really mention that it's largely because the old facilities may not be there come the fall of 2028) makes a little more sense, but that was never the implication from when the venue plan was first proposed.  This obviously isn't as much work as what's being done with the Coliseum or how that will affect USC football in 2028, but it always looked like a project where there's more going on than they first let on.

Not sure how accurate these renderings are with respect to the existing stadium.  My guess is that the final product might look a lot different.  And it's not just the baseball field.  Look at the tennis courts on the right side.  In the swim stadium rendering, those don't appear behind the stadium.

So again.. this is more than a temporary structure.  It definitely seems like buildings and infrastructure is being torn down.  If that's part of the grander plan for this area, that's fine.  But that hasn't really been made clear, let alone if it's a matter of necessity or if USC is using this as an excuse to build something new.  This from the same university that spent $270 million to renovate the Coliseum, only to spend another $300 million for a temporary structure for the Olympics

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Dedeaux.jpg

10 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Putting your photo and the concept rendering together is easier. 

It’s even clearer now to me that the Olympic overlay including both swimming and diving pools and the footprints of the temporary grandstands will sit on the actual baseball field of play.

• You can see the semi-circular sesting area in the corner is retained
  • the grandstand to the right is retained with the tennis courts being a food and beverage area, toilets etc.
  • I’m no engineer but I’ve seen temporary grandstands erected above, over and around existing smaller structures/buildings

Anyone got the actual overlayplans they can post here?

qxjjKS2.jpg

4e3bMHF.jpg

2 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Putting your photo and the concept rendering together is easier. 

It’s even clearer now to me that the Olympic overlay including both swimming and diving pools and the footprints of the temporary grandstands will sit on the actual baseball field of play.

• You can see the semi-circular sesting area in the corner is retained
  • the grandstand to the right is retained with the tennis courts being a food and beverage area, toilets etc.
  • I’m no engineer but I’ve seen temporary grandstands erected above, over and around existing smaller structures/buildings

Anyone got the actual overlayplans they can post here?

qxjjKS2.jpg

4e3bMHF.jpg

Re the tennis courts, they’ll just cover and protect them with some sort of temporary material, flooring and/or decking - easy peasy.

remember guys that we're still 5 years out, and the plan regarding Dedeaux and those renderings were originally produced for the scenario where we host in 2024 and not 2028, so they are subject to change and evolve.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bear said:

remember guys that we're still 5 years out, and the plan regarding Dedeaux and those renderings were originally produced for the scenario where we host in 2024 and not 2028, so they are subject to change and evolve.

Correct, but as it stands right now, Dedeaux Field is the 2028 Olympic/Paralympic venue for Swimming, Diving and Artistic Swimming.

I can’t find any whiff of any change in plans at this time.

20,000 spectators at this Olympic Swinming Venue is going to be loud!