On 6/11/2023 at 8:48 PM, ulu said:

Smart decision. Hopefully Brisbane 2032 organisers will come to their senses and use the whitewater venue in Penrith.

On 6/12/2023 at 9:00 AM, TorchbearerSydney said:

If Paris can hold surfing in Tahiti......anything is possible!

On 6/12/2023 at 6:22 AM, Bear said:

agreed on both, why build a completely new venue for a niche sport that isn't very accessible when there are existing ones that could be used?

Unfortunately, there’s no way in a blue moon that Penrith Whitewater Stadium will be hosting any Brisbane 2032 whitewater events because July and August is wet, cold winter then in Sydney.

Not pleasant conditions for outdoor sports in July and August in Sydney for athletes, spectators or televsion audiences to endure or try to watch competition through such cold and drenching rain showers for what is meant to be the Summer Games.

Don’t get me wrong, I went to Sydney 2000 and Penrith and also other events over the full length of the Sydney 2000 Games and it was the most glorious experience of my life.  But those  2000 Games were given special dispensation to be held in the milder drier weather of Sydney’s Spring - 15 Sep - 1 October 2000.

But July and August in Sydney is when the worst of the cold wet winter weather occurs at the time of the Brisbane Olympic and Paralympic Games: 23 July - 8 August 2032.

Brisbane on the other hand is much further north and that closer closer to the equator than Sydney is and in July/August weather is that much better -  even though technically it is still winter then.

The better drier weather in July/August was a key reason why  Brisbane was chosen over Sydney or Melbourne in the first place by the Australian Olympic Committee, or any other southern Australian city for that matter.

Sadly, and I live in Melbourne and loooved Sydney 2000, why it is highly unlikely we will ever see another Olympic Games in Sydney or Melbourne until the IOC’s now strict July/August hosting window requirement is changed.     Sydney 2000 was given special dispensation to host in the better drier weather of 15 Sept - 2 Oct 2000 to avoid the wet, cold winter in July/August.   

So, yes, as part of the Birkdale Comminity Precinct with ziplomes, picnic areas, swimming lagoon, cafes, other activities, etc the Redland Whitewater Centre will be built to host the Canoe Slalom events at Brisbane 2032 - even though 95 minutes flying time away is another whitewater venue at Penrith, Sydney.

• Like 1

correction:  

So, yes, as part of the Birkdale Comminity Precinct with ziplines, picnic areas, swimming lagoon, cafes, other activities, etc the Redland Whitewater Centre will be built to host the Canoe Slalom events at Brisbane 2032 - even though 95 minutes flying time away is another whitewater venue at Penrith, Sydney, but where it is the dead of winter then.

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Unfortunately, there’s no way in a blue moon that Penrith Whitewater Stadium will be hosting any Brisbane 2032 whitewater events because July and August is wet, cold winter then in Sydney.

looking at the wikipedia table for climata data in Penrith, it doesn't really seem that bad, mid 60s F (high 10s C) for July/August, less precipitation compared to September, and when compared to Brisbane, it seems like precipitation is similar. even then, canoe slalom competition is only 6 days, and with only one event per day (based on the Tokyo 2020 schedule), it isn't an all-day event.

of course, I am nowhere near Australia while you live there, so I trust you know the conditions better than I do :) (this is not meant to be a sarcastic comment haha)

1 hour ago, Bear said:

looking at the wikipedia table for climata data in Penrith, it doesn't really seem that bad, mid 60s F (high 10s C) for July/August, less precipitation compared to September, and when compared to Brisbane, it seems like precipitation is similar. even then, canoe slalom competition is only 6 days, and with only one event per day (based on the Tokyo 2020 schedule), it isn't an all-day event.

of course, I am nowhere near Australia while you live there, so I trust you know the conditions better than I do :) (this is not meant to be a sarcastic comment haha)

It’s cool :)

I used the Australian government weather forecasting service agency which tends to be more accurate:

Average Monthly Temperatures:

Brisbane

• July:  20.4 C  (69.4 F)
  • Aug:  21.8 C   (71.2 F)

Sydney

• July:   16.4 C    (61.52 F)
  • Aug:    17.9 C    (64.22 F)

On these monthly temperature averages,, Brisbane is significantly warmer than Sydney by about 4 degrees Celcius (7 degrees F) in July and August.

Average Monthly Rainfall:

Brisbane

• July:  56.5 mm  (2.2 inches)
  • Aug:   45.9 mm   (1.8 inches)

Sydney

• July:   96.3 mm     (3.8 inches)
  • Aug:    80.2 mm    (3.1 inches)

On these monthly rainfall averages, Brisbane has 35-40 mm (1.3 inches) significantly less rain than Sydney in July and August.

• Like 1

As someone who grew up in Western Sydney,  I would not want to be in the open air kayaking in late July....for early morning heats the temperature could be as low as 5 degrees !!!

I actually think Brisbane 2032 is being hosted about a month too early, the Gold Coast beaches in July are  cool and the wind can be bitter. The water is cold. Late August I am sure would have been fine with the IOC.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

As someone who grew up in Western Sydney,  I would not want to be in the open air kayaking in late July....for early morning heats the temperature could be as low as 5 degrees !!!

I actually think Brisbane 2032 is being hosted about a month too early, the Gold Coast beaches in July are  cool and the wind can be bitter. The water is cold. Late August I am sure would have been fine with the IOC.

Yikes, that is nippy.  At least the average July temperatures in Oklahoma City for the canoe slalom events at LA2028 are hot @ 34.8 C (94.6 F). (weather-and-climate.com)

The Redland City Council in Queensland plan to also promote the legacy use of the Brisbane 2032 Whitewater Venue set in the parkland surrounds of Birkdale Community Precinct for year round fast water skills and rescue training.

Similarly, Teahupo’o in Tahiti has an average August temperature of 26 C (79 F) for the Paris 2024 surfing competition.    (weather-and-climate.com)

One of the infrastructure projects that will benefit the Games has opened today!

The Regional Connector connects Azusa in eastern Los Angeles County with Long Beach, and East Los Angeles with Santa Monica.

I for one am glad about this as it'll be easier for me to get to more events easier :)

Of course, LA also to provide venue(s) for still the un-chosen "new" sport.  Supposed front-runners are cricket, squash or the return of baseball/softball.  I don't see how they can select others over Baseball/Softball, those being the most "American" of the sports considered -- and you already have the excellent venue of Dodgers Stadium just waiting to be used again.  

My main objection in NOT moving the White Water Rafting to OK is "DON'T give any Olympic events to the dyed-in-the-wool "red" states."  That alone should be considered were LA to build a course from scratch at Sepulveda Basin.  More than the layout of the course, I think the major logistical challenge in a "new" rafting course would be the source and the depositary of the huge amounts of water required to run it.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
xx

I wonder if there is enough time, will and determination to consider building a brand-new WWR course/venue somewhere down the Oroville Dam -- even if it distantly located from any sizeable town? 

Or there are other alternate courses in California: 

The Insider's Guide to Whitewater Rafting in California | OARS 

On 6/8/2023 at 3:42 PM, Sir Rols said:

He doesn’t want a serious discussion. It’s just his monthly post to make his regular convoluted point about how out of sync he is with the modern world.

I appreciate gamesbids.com as a respectful place where everyone can debate the subject of "Olympics," without trolling, accusations of trolling, banning, hectoring, censoring. Very few places in social media are as mature and ethical as this public forum is.

On 6/8/2023 at 1:58 PM, Quaker2001 said:

It's not the fault of the event that it's lost prestige, it's simply the world we live in.  Like we've said before.. what sold well decades ago and gave it a big event feel is not what works in the social media age.  Not much the IOC can do about that but adapt.  And if that means that the 2028 Olympics don't go down in history as the rousing success the `84 games were, that may not be the fault of the organizing committee.

I think the downturn in the prestige of the event is partly due to organizing committees and, yep, changes in the culture and political environment of today's world, over 30 years since the games of 1984 and over 20 years since the games of 1996.

The 2012 games, however, which did very well in attendance would have added some prestige to "Olympics" if other aspects of those games were handled better. Okay, sure, that's IMHO. But the games of 2016 certainly did fall flat in all three major categories of a successful summer Olympics (attendance, budget and organizational skill---ceremonies, facilities, etc) and Covid ruined the success of the 2020 summer games. IOW, the two most recent summer games, partly for reasons beyond the control of the IOC and Tokyo OOC, didn't exactly give sheen and polish to "Olympics."

Honestly, I think that’s just more you projecting your tastes onto the world in general.

i don’t think there’s been a decline in prestige. More a greater questioning and awareness of various aspects of the games - costs, legacy etc. And also a decline in consumption of the games in legacy media - particularly free-to-air TV. But that’s part and parcel of the wider shift in media consumption through digital disruption that’s impacting free-to-air TV in general, as well as cinema, radio, music and print. Streaming and narrowcasting has changed the game.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Honestly, I think that’s just more you projecting your tastes onto the world in general.

i don’t think there’s been a decline in prestige. More a greater questioning and awareness of various aspects of the games - costs, legacy etc. And also a decline in consumption of the games in legacy media - particularly free-to-air TV. But that’s part and parcel of the wider shift in media consumption through digital disruption that’s impacting free-to-air TV in general, as well as cinema, radio, music and print. Streaming and narrowcasting has changed the game.

i dont think it's worth responding to you-know-who tbh, they just repeat the same thing over and over, and every single one of those points have already been addressed :)

5 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Very few places in social media are as mature and ethical as this public forum is.

That really says a lot about the sad state of social media in general if you stop & think about that comment. lol

3 hours ago, Bear said:

i dont think it's worth responding to you-know-who tbh, they just repeat the same thing over and over, and every single one of those points have already been addressed :)

Hmmmm, doesn't that sound familiar. :ph34r: As been pointed out before, at least this one here is just a token you-know-who. While the other (new-norm) one is a continuous, vexatious you-know-who.

7 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I appreciate gamesbids.com as a respectful place where everyone can debate the subject of "Olympics," without trolling, accusations of trolling, banning, hectoring, censoring. Very few places in social media are as mature and ethical as this public forum is.

Had to look that one up.  Never heard the term hectoring between.  I'm with FYI on this one.. if you think this place is mature and ethical, I'm curious to see where else you hang out on the internet.

7 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I think the downturn in the prestige of the event is partly due to organizing committees and, yep, changes in the culture and political environment of today's world, over 30 years since the games of 1984 and over 20 years since the games of 1996.

The 2012 games, however, which did very well in attendance would have added some prestige to "Olympics" if other aspects of those games were handled better. Okay, sure, that's IMHO. But the games of 2016 certainly did fall flat in all three major categories of a successful summer Olympics (attendance, budget and organizational skill---ceremonies, facilities, etc) and Covid ruined the success of the 2020 summer games. IOW, the two most recent summer games, partly for reasons beyond the control of the IOC and Tokyo OOC, didn't exactly give sheen and polish to "Olympics."

You've made these opinions known before.  Like Rols said, it's just a matter of your personal preferences and not a larger viewpoint on "Olympics" which for some reason needs quotation marks.

I do agree with your last point, especially with Tokyo.  I thought they had an opportunity to put on a really wonderful spectacle, but largely got robbed of that.  They did the best they could given the circumstances, but we've seen what the fallout from that effort was and it has likely soured many Japanese on the event for a long time to come.

So now we have Paris 2024 and LA 2028 coming up.  Like Tokyo, they should be wonderful celebrations of sport.  Easier said than done, though.  And the problem these days is that the echo chamber of social media is much more likely to amplify negativity than the positive aspects of the Games which won't present themselves until next summer.

9 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Had to look that one up.  Never heard the term hectoring between before. 

There, fixed that little (auto-correct) typo for you.  But boy, that term does fit that certain other you-know-who around here to a T, doesn't it!! :lol:

9 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

I'm with FYI on this one.. if you think this place is mature and ethical, I'm curious to see where else you hang out on the internet..

Apparently, no where good from the looks of it. But yet, it looks like they mostly prefer those other places anyway, since they're rarely at this mature & ethical place. lol

On 6/27/2023 at 12:02 AM, Bear said:

anyways a cool find, even though we already know most of the info on it:

written_report_from_the_los_angeles_2028_olympic_gamse_organising_committee.pdf (asoif.com)

Thanks for this.  Quite a bizarre document.  After a quick perusal, I have never seen so many partial sentences BOLDED. saw 2 or 3 typos, and using new words like "spectating" and "secondments."  A rushed document.  Could have used another once-through and major editing.  

8 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Thanks for this.  Quite a bizarre document.  After a quick perusal, I have never seen so many partial sentences BOLDED. saw 2 or 3 typos, and using new words like "spectating" and "secondments."  A rushed document.  Could have used another once-through and major editing.  

"secondments" is a legitimate word, TIL - "Secondment is the temporary assignment of a member of one organization to another organization." - so maybe something like an exchange program between LAOOC and COJOP

7 minutes ago, Bear said:

"secondments" is a legitimate word, TIL - "Secondment is the temporary assignment of a member of one organization to another organization." - so maybe something like an exchange program between LAOOC and COJOP

Didn't say it wasn't a "legit" word.  It's that the document is kinda written in a "high-falutin'" style to be disseminated not to scholarly circles but to sports adminstrators.  Like presenting the Treaty of Ghent to freshman middle schoolers.  

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Expo Park today, got a decent shot of the Coliseum:

IMG_20230715_142048.jpg

The temperature was around 90°F / 32°C... I don't think I'll be buying tickets for athletics or aquatics in 2028...

Would have taken a pic of the LAFC stadium but it was fenced off in preparation for what I assume will be a concert, so there weren't any good pic opportunities.

• 3 weeks later...