6 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

The ghost of Avery Brundage is back!

Hey, I wonder if even he cared about correctly placed flagpoles, properly uniformed participants and large numbers of people singing in unison?

I wonder about that not too sarcastically either, since I notice a lot of big players in today's elite, from the arts to sports, from the sciences to politics, often go, "no sweat off my brow."  I don't think the elite has changed all that much either since things done by the IOC over 50-70 years ago could be funky and flaky too.

2 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Hey, I wonder if even he cared about correctly placed flagpoles, properly uniformed participants and large numbers of people singing in unison?

I wonder about that not too sarcastically either, since I notice a lot of big players in today's elite, from the arts to sports, from the sciences to politics, often go, "no sweat off my brow."  I don't think the elite has changed all that much either since things done by the IOC over 50-70 years ago could be funky and flaky too.

Considering he was in favour of ending the winter games once and for all over the issue of equipment manufacturers logos on competition gear, I’m sure he would. 

Honestly, I think he’s your kindred spirit.

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Not nearly as much as he cared about racism and anti-semimitism.  And yes, we know you're being serious when you say you wonder about these things.  Maybe sometime you'll find someone else who actually thinks about them as well.  Just don't look at the IOC to try and find that person.

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I should hope so. When the IOC switched to a nightime format for the 1992 games, I thought its opening (at least towards the last half of 1992's symbolic beginning---it began in partial sunlight) looked as dark or somber as closings of past decades. Some of the etiquette of the "Olympics" got tossed out. But TV ratings are TV ratings, and dollars are dollars.

Increasingly, in today's culture, the custom of going to work in, for example, a suit and wingtip shoes is being tossed out in favor of showing up dressed in sweatpants and Nikes.

Did you watch the entire ceremony to come up with that opinion, or did you just see bits and pieces.. on YouTube about 20 years later?  Pretty sure the flaming arrow would NOT have worked so well if it was during the daytime.

• 2 weeks later...

Bullet Train LA to Las Vegas for 2028 

Is there enough time ?

“Work on a high-speed rail network connecting Las Vegas to Los Angeles is set to begin later this year with the hope of it being completed in time for the 2028 Olympics and Paralympics.”

“Rail company Brightline West has recently announced an agreement with the High-Speed Labor Coalition to build the $10 billion (£8.5 billion/€9.5 billion) project.”

“According to reports in the United States, construction on the high-speed rail service is set to start later in the year and be open in 2027 - one year before Los Angeles is due to stage the Olympic and Paralympic Games.”

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1134534/bullet-train-las-vegas-to-los-angeles

xxx

xx

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

Bullet Train LA to Las Vegas for 2028 

Is there enough time ?

“Work on a high-speed rail network connecting Las Vegas to Los Angeles is set to begin later this year with the hope of it being completed in time for the 2028 Olympics and Paralympics.”

“Rail company Brightline West has recently announced an agreement with the High-Speed Labor Coalition to build the $10 billion (£8.5 billion/€9.5 billion) project.”

“According to reports in the United States, construction on the high-speed rail service is set to start later in the year and be open in 2027 - one year before Los Angeles is due to stage the Olympic and Paralympic Games.”

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1134534/bullet-train-las-vegas-to-los-angeles

1 hour ago, fusilli said:

^^

Why should this be specifically relevant for '28 Olympics? Hotel capabilities? 

It’s not specifically for the Los Angeles Olympics, but along with the other transport infrastrastructure upgrades and expandio,  like the new LA Metro Train Lines, the Light Rail network expansion and the LAX Airport improvements, it will make it a lot better for mass people movement of spectators and visitors to/from and around the Games to get around. This , includes to/from Las Vegas (and at stations along that fast rail route) where, yes, there are a lot of hotels for commuting or transitioning to or from the Games.

xxx

22 hours ago, fusilli said:

^^

Why should this be specifically relevant for '28 Olympics? Hotel capabilities? 

Gambling. I'm sure Vegas stands to make a nice chunk of change on betting during the Olympics, not to mention I'm sure many of those Olympic VIPs and IOC members wouldn't mind taking some turns at the craps and blackjack tables.

Eric Garcetti, former stud mayor of Los Angeles when LA sought & won its 3rd hosting designation 6 years ago, finally gets the confirmation for US Ambassador to India.  Good on ya, Mayor!   

Senate confirms Eric Garcetti to be ambassador to India | CNN Politics 

Good luck in Delhi!  Getting around Delhi over the next few years is an ABSOLUTE nightmare!! 

Not that I think too much can be made of it, but…

Los Angeles newspaper poll hints at drop in support for 2028 Olympics

While 57 per cent support does seem worryingly low, again, I don’t see it as a threat. And, anyway, members here, Americans and Angelenos better brace themselves that LA’s about to enter the rocky period of Olympic hosting - that time as the games draw closer where every minor glitch or misstep starts to get magnified as impending Olympic disaster.  This is probably the first sign.

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

While 57 per cent support does seem worryingly low, again, I don’t see it as a threat. And, anyway, members here, Americans and Angelenos better brace themselves that LA’s about to enter the rocky period of Olympic hosting - that time as the games draw closer where every minor glitch or misstep starts to get magnified as impending Olympic disaster.  This is probably the first sign.

is it really an olympics if the support doesn't implode every once in a while? :P there's still over 5 years to go, a bit early to say how well (or bad) the games will be so im not too worried

22 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Now you know, if a certain you-know-who Angeleno was still around here, they'd be go on-&-on about how L.A. 2028 will still be all sunshine & rainbows (there's also a twilight zone 2032 verison too lol). And that no silly poll was going to change that, & that anyone who doesn't see how "great" L.A. 2028 will be, & will also be a "model" for future Olympic bid/cities, must have their heads in the sand in "la la land". lol 

As far as the rest of (the average) Americans (not the ones here who are enamored with the Olympics), most probably won't notice, or still even know/care about that the 2028 Games are slated to be in Los Angeles. And the ones I found that do know, hardly have any much enthusiastic to say about it. 

Oh, but of course. I remember reading an article a few weeks ago, about one of the L.A. NOlympics members, & saying how very hard it is to untangle anything Olympic related once everything is signed, sealed & delivered. And that her focus now, is just to bring awareness to other communities who are even thinking of doing this. To think very, very carefully, & to know exactly what you're getting yourself into before even signing on that dotted line.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Bear said:

Not sure which version of cricket is to be played in the olympics.

Otherwise I heard a very good explaination why the British like cricket; It's the only game where both spectactors AND players can drink tea while playing.

ICC proposes six-team T20 events for both men and women at 2028 Olympics

• International Olympic Committee's final decision on whether cricket would be included in the Games is expected in October at the Mumbai IOC Session.
  • The ICC has recommended six-team T20 events for both men and women to the 2028 Los Angeles Olympic Games organising committee (LA28), as it continues its push for cricket to be included in the biggest global sports events.

IOC favours single venue for cricket

• Cricket has its own range of complexities in terms of streamlining costs, with squads travelling with teams of support staff, and requiring a certain number of pitches for games along with training pitches for teams to prepare on. It is understood that during the discussions, the guidance the ICC received from LA28 was that both the men's and women's events would need to be restricted to a single venue.
  • The ICC had already seen the advantage of such cost-saving measures at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham last July-August, where women's T20 cricket was one of the 19 disciplines. Originally, the ICC had recommended two venues for it, but the organisers limited it to one venue - Edgbaston - with 16 matches conducted across ten days with multiple double-headers.

Credit: ESPNcricinfo.com

• 2 weeks later...

The poll mentioned above sort of mirrors my own changing opinion of the "Olympics." The culture and politics of modern society, including the part that affects pro-sports and entertainment, are different today than in the past. At this point, I'll be happy if the 2028 OOC at least keeps the budget under control. If the games in 2016, as one example, had managed to come out with a good P&L, the weak parts of that event (attendance, ceremonies, organization) wouldn't have been a case of rubbing salt into the wound.

On 4/24/2023 at 9:58 AM, Bear said:

Kroenke has to get his $$ back somehow.  And from Jan 2027 to July 2028, that's like 16 months -- so I don't see how this could be newsworthy stuff, especially since SoFi's already done it before and will have hosted some WC 2026 events.  

The old dowdy Coliseum probably would have been a better backdrop for the 2028 games than the confining, semi-domed Sofi Stadium will be. The setting in Inglewood is newer and more manicured, but just as makeshift 1984 demonstrated, sometimes slicker is not necessarily better.

I'm guessing the temporary cauldron that will be created for Sofi will be some gimmicky thingamajig. If the 2028 OOC wants to save time and money, they'll hopefully make the 1932/1984 barbecue flame the only one for 2028.

Moreover, during the next five years, natural or man-made disasters, a changing culture and political controversies mean the 2028 OOC had better keep a close eye on the bottom line.