1 hour ago, stryker said:

More than a few million. There's no viable legacy for a whitewater course in LA. It would be a drain on the taxpayer probably to the point where it would eventually close and be added to the dreaded white elephant category. Oklahoma is also a lot closer than Tahiti. If the IOC and ICF want it that bad then LA should bill them for the costs. A better solution would be to drop whitewater canoeing along with bobsleigh from the OGs. Both are sports with high cost venues that are likely destined to be white elephants.

At least with bobsled, 1 venue serves 3 sports and has 10 medal events.  So not really the best comparison.

1 hour ago, stryker said:

More than a few million. There's no viable legacy for a whitewater course in LA. It would be a drain on the taxpayer probably to the point where it would eventually close and be added to the dreaded white elephant category. Oklahoma is also a lot closer than Tahiti. If the IOC and ICF want it that bad then LA should bill them for the costs. A better solution would be to drop whitewater canoeing along with bobsleigh from the OGs. Both are sports with high cost venues that are likely destined to be white elephants.

Not necessarily - the whitewater venue at Sydney, for example, ended up being one of most successful legacies of the 2000 games. 

Still, it’s questionable if any single country needs multiple such venues. I’m not convinced there’s a business case, for example, for Brisbane to construct another one. And as for LA, I really don’t know why you would construct a temporary venue for 2028, when there’s an automatic saving to be made using the USA’s existing venue. I thought the new Olympics/IOC mantra was to maximise existing infrastructure?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Not necessarily - the whitewater venue at Sydney, for example, ended up being one of most successful legacies of the 2000 games. 

Still, it’s questionable if any single country needs multiple such venues. I’m not convinced there’s a business case, for example, for Brisbane to construct another one. And as for LA, I really don’t know why you would construct a temporary venue for 2028, when there’s an automatic saving to be made using the USA’s existing venue. I thought the new Olympics/IOC mantra was to maximise existing infrastructure?

I think that's where things often get lost in translation.  Building venues is not automatically a negative.  Sometimes if planned and executed properly, it can be worthwhile.  Obviously that's a tough sell for something like a whitewater canoe/kayak venue.  Understandable why LA wouldn't build a temporary venue when there's a usable one, albeit 1,300 miles away.  Just keep in mind if we're talking about cost saving, that you'd have to factor in facilities such as housing and travel between the 2 sites into the equation

Karen Bass, who will take office in ~2 weeks has appointed the Senior VP for LA28 as her chief of staff

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-11-29/mayor-elect-bass-names-christopher-thompson-as-chief-of-staff

"In his role at LA28, Thompson has been registered as a City Hall lobbyist since November 2021, according to L.A. Ethics Commission filings. He filed paperwork terminating his lobbyist registration Tuesday."

"Bass spokesperson Zach Seidl said that Thompson 'will not participate in matters regarding the Olympics for the first year of his service.'"

As I said previously, her first term will cover the handover from Paris to LA, and should she win re-election, she will serve during the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

21 hours ago, Bear said:

As I said previously, her first term will cover the handover from Paris to LA, and should she win re-election, she will serve during the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Which, if Bass indeed will still be mayor by 2028, would be another historic first:  three successive Summer Olympic host cities: Yuriko Koike for Tokyo 2020, Hidalgo for 2024 and Bass for 2028 -- and the 3 ladies covering the 4 major races of humankind:  Koike (Asian), Hidalgo (white/Latino) and Bass (black). 
Brisbane, can you elect an aboriginal-albina mayoress for 2032?  :lol:  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LA 2028 does not have to send White-Water events to Oklahoma!  It now has a choice of many natural courses all within the state except: 
 (1) in keeping with a diverse population, it will be now be called "Brown-water" Rafting events; and 
(2) it will have to be held in January 2028 when the various natural venues are in full power!!  There's a very challenging course in Montecito!! :lol:

Ellen DeGeneres shares video of flooding near Montecito home (yahoo.com) 

Rising Waters

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 2 weeks later...

The stadium that's a stone's throw away from the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and the home of MLS champs Los Angeles FC and NWSL's Angel City FC has got a new name. From Banc of California Stadium to now BMO (Bank of Montreal, for the uninitiated) Stadium for an undisclosed league-record amount of cash. Reportedly though worth $100m (£81m/€92.2m) over a 10-year term for the 22,000-seat stadium. Not that it will be called that during Olympic time when both soccer (preliminaries, quarterfinals, women's bronze medal) and track & field (discus, javelin, and hammer first rounds) take place:

https://www.thestadiumbusiness.com/2023/01/20/bmo-lands-lafc-stadium-naming-rights-in-mls-record-deal/

Interestingly, this stadium sits on the footprint where the 1984 venue site of Olympic boxing formerly stood: the Los Angeles Sports Arena, where the Clippers, Stars, Jets, USC Trojans and Bruins, and Fakers basketball, Los Angeles Kings, Sharks, Ice Dogs, and Blades hockey, Cobras arena football, Aztecs NASL indoor soccer, Strings Team Tennis, and even Temptation Lingerie Football League. Not to mention high school basketball championships, as well as concerts and conventions. Bruce Springsteen played three sold out concerts on March 15-19, 2016 to close out the old arena's life with a bang as the final event. Aptly played "Wrecking Ball" in the final concert there. Demolition to pave way for the BMO Stadium began later that September. 

11 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Hmmm…

Los Angeles 2028 Olympic inclusion "absolute priority" for International Cricket Council

I really can’t see cricket making out at the expense of Baseball/Softball in LA. They’ve surely only got a quota of one boring team sport

My thoughts exactly.  Save cricket for 2032 where it'll be much more popular and I'm sure there's a venue ready to go somewhere near Brisbane even without being able to use The Gabba.  Have baseball/softball in LA where the venues for that are all good to go and you know they won't have trouble drawing crowds

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

My thoughts exactly.  Save cricket for 2032 where it'll be much more popular and I'm sure there's a venue ready to go somewhere near Brisbane even without being able to use The Gabba.  Have baseball/softball in LA where the venues for that are all good to go and you know they won't have trouble drawing crowds

They would probably use Carrara Stadium (2018 Comm Games stadium).

The preliminary sports program for the Paralympic Games is out, with 22 sports forming the core program:

1. Para Badminton
  2. Boccia
  3. Blind Football
  4. Goalball
  5. Para Judo
  6. Para Canoe
  7. Para Equestrian
  8. Para Table Tennis
  9. Wheelchair Tennis
  10. Wheelchair Fencing
  11. Wheelchair Basketball
  12. Para Archery
  13. Para Athletics
  14. Para Powerlifting
  15. Sitting Volleyball
  16. Para Swimming
  17. Para Rowing
  18. Shooting Para Sport
  19. Para Taekwondo
  20. Para Triathlon
  21. Wheelchair Rugby
  22. Para Cycling

LA28 is considering adding Para Climbing or Para Surfing in addition to these 22 core sports. A decision on which one of these will be added will be taken later this year by the IPC Governing Board.

https://la28.org/en/newsroom/LA28-Paralympic-Games-Initial-Sport-Program-to-Feature-22-Sports.html

also i am begging the ICC to stop with their cricket in LA nonsense... the sport isnt popular here and with a limited athlete quota in place id rather the spots go to a sport that will actually bring in attendance and money :mellow:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 6:11 AM, Quaker2001 said:

Understandable why LA wouldn't build a temporary venue when there's a usable one, albeit 1,300 miles away. 

I don't believe in 1984 there was a venue for white water rapids, although I don't know all the angles and history around that part of a summer Olympics. But I just read this snippet: "The whitewater slalom events made their Olympic debut in Munich in 1972, but were not part of the program again until 1992."

However, there's something called Grizzly Rapids at one of the Disney parks in nearby Anaheim, so maybe the 2028 OC can use that? Which could work, just as long as the venue includes properly placed flag poles and a large choir.

25 minutes ago, BigVic said:

The men's and women's 100m final will be taking place in daylight to accomodate a primetime audience. 6pm PDT is 9pm EDT which is perfect for NBC who will be broadcasting the games. Some events could take place at 8pm PDT which is 11pm EDT 

A lot of the event schedule, particularly the big ticket events like track and swimming, will most certainly be built for the benefit of NBC's TV schedule.  I would imagine NBC will likely stick to their usual 8pm-12am formula for primetime coverage, so that's 5pm-9pm in LA.  Sunset in LA during the games will be around 8pm, so there will probably be some events right around sunset, but yes, I'm sure will see plenty of big finals take place while it's still light out