Jump to content

Recommended Posts

ejaycat    41
53 minutes ago, FYI said:

I wasn't questioning the overall cost comparison between a temporary structure over a permanent one (nor how it'll work or be erected). All I said was that it still seems like a big waste. Which it does. Afterall, even temporary, it's still going to cost a pretty penny, is it not.

I don't see how it's a big waste, being that it's still cheaper than building a permanent aquatics center?  Then why hold swimming at all?

Hehe in fact, why hold the Olympics at all?  They're a big waste. :P

 

50 minutes ago, FYI said:

Good point. Which throws off the whole 'you don't have to maintain a temporary pool' thing.

You don't have to maintain a temporary pool after its use is done and is disassembled, obviously.  My comment about pool maintenance was in regards to a permanent facility; once its built, and you want to continue using it as a pool, it requires a lot of maintenance, so that's an added cost of building a permanent aquatics center.

I come from the land of the swimming pool.  Trust me, they're a pain in the ass to maintain.  

 

51 minutes ago, paul said:

.....do we really need to have sync swimming in the Olympics?? snowflake sports.

I just read those rings on the side of the 32 stadium were the flaming rings use in the coliseum for the 84 cauldron lighting.

You know what sport I thought was lame?  Rhythmic gymnastics... which, incidentally, also made its Olympic debut at the LA 1984 Games.  I thought it was lame with the girls waving streamers and playing with hoops and stuff, but then, I think it was the 2004 Athens Olympics, I actually sat down and watched rhythmic gymnastics on TV... and I was actually fascinated by it.  It was kind of Cirque de Soleil-ish--- a show I've never even seen.

Interesting tidbit about the flaming rings!  Makes me want to go to the swim stadium now and take a picture of it.

Edited by ejaycat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paul    578
12 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

You know what sport I thought was lame?  Rhythmic gymnastics... which, incidentally, also made its Olympic debut at the LA 1984 Games.  I thought it was lame with the girls waving streamers and playing with hoops and stuff, but then, I think it was the 2004 Athens Olympics, I actually sat down and watched rhythmic gymnastics on TV... and I was actually fascinated by it.  It was kind of Cirque de Soleil-ish--- a show I've never even seen.

...I hear ya.......it' true those girl are monster athletes.......the sync girls too......but those nose things ewwwwwww. i did like that one famous time the sync girls top came off during her routine.

p.s. the rhythmic gymnasts are my favorite for making GB logo comp posters and stuff.....always looks cool with the color and movement.

rythmic-gymnast-footer-900.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FYI    1130
4 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

I don't see how it's a big waste, being that it's still cheaper than building a permanent aquatics center?  Then why hold swimming at all?

Hehe in fact, why hold the Olympics at all?  They're a big waste. :P

Oh, don't get our friend paul here started on that one!! :lol::P

5 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

I come from the land of the swimming pool.  Trust me, they're a pain in the ass to maintain. 

Oh, me too! So like you, I know exactly how much of a PITA (& expensive) pools are to maintain. But that's precisely why it seems to me like a big waste. In the land of 'sunshine' & pools, to put up such a structure for a three-week sports festival, just to tear it down afterwards seems like such a wasted opportunity.

Let's remember that initially the Swimming venue was to be at the LAFC @ at a cost of $100 million. Then it was moved to Dedeaux Field, I'm sure at a lower cost. But as Quaker noted, you'd think that they could've been more creative about it (& I agree, as I cited above). And probably we might see even more changes to the DF plan by the time 2028 rolls around.

13 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

You know what sport I thought was lame?  Rhythmic gymnastics... which, incidentally, also made its Olympic debut at the LA 1984 Games.  I thought it was lame with the girls waving streamers and playing with hoops and stuff, but then, I think it was the 2004 Athens Olympics, I actually sat down and watched rhythmic gymnastics on TV... and I was actually fascinated by it.  It was kind of Cirque de Soleil-ish--- a show I've never even seen.

I agree here. It's always funny listening to the people that criticize some of these Olympic sports as 'snowflake sports'. I bet they couldn't even do a fraction of what some of these athletic 'dancing girls' can do in the pool lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baron-pierreIV    1622
11 hours ago, FYI said:

Oh, me too! So like you, I know exactly how much of a PITA (& expensive) pools are to maintain. But that's precisely why it seems to me like a big waste. In the land of 'sunshine' & pools, to put up such a structure for a three-week sports festival, just to tear it down afterwards seems like such a wasted opportunity.

The thing about those temporary aquatic venues is that -- oh, I'm too lazy to dig up my 1983 files, but as a major Olympic venue, it has to be up and running the year before for the TEST event.  And then in the actual Olympic year,  US Swimming will use it for the US champiosnhips/Olympic team selection event, the SOGs, and then the Paras. So, for the Olympic year, it will be up for at least 2-3 months.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FYI    1130
2 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

So, for the Olympic year, it will be up for at least 2-3 months.  

That's it? It should be up for 2-3 decades, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baron-pierreIV    1622
1 minute ago, FYI said:

That's it? It should be up for 2-3 decades, at least.

Well, yeah.  They're paying for the use of all that scaffolding and temporary seats.  That all adds up.  Besides, the County Planning Depts might not allow those to be up for too long if they are not being used regularly. Even London's additional two wings (part of Hadid's permanent structure) came down quickly after their Games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FYI    1130
40 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, yeah.  They're paying for the use of all that scaffolding and temporary seats.  That all adds up.  Besides, the County Planning Depts might not allow those to be up for too long if they are not being used regularly. Even London's additional two wings (part of Hadid's permanent structure) came down quickly after their Games.  

I meant that metaphorically, not literally speaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baron-pierreIV    1622

Found this in the 1984 Official Report.  Apparently part of Dedeaux Field had already been used for the 1984 set-up:

Quote

The entire venue incorporated a portion of an existing baseball field at USC, its support building, an intramural field, a football practice field, a surface parking lot and a four-story garage. The site was divided by McClintock Street, a private university road. All ancillary competition and spectator facilities were temporary and supported all three aquatic sports that were held there.

The LA 1984 Official Report is one of the best written ORs of any Games. 

http://library.la84.org/6oic/OfficialReports/1984/1984v1pt3.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×