Unless footballers are armed to the teeth in the new FIFA, that's not from the FIFA e World Cup in London. Have no idea why the Telegraph chose that picture for that article. :lol: Here's the set up for the World Cup in London. It's clear FIFA are getting serious about this, you don't book the O2 for a small event. Tomorow's the Final..

DjmljzzVAAA1pfC.jpg:large

Edited by Rob.

off topic to the current discussion: 

i know it's still way to far to speculate but i think, for the opening ceremony, drag queens might be involved.

the wizard of oz might be the over arching theme. with LA as the 'emerald city'

youtube and the internet might be involve. 

also, the ceremonies might be super gay which will no be liked by the African and Arab countries 

and for the handover, the opening scene from lala land 

8 hours ago, illustrado said:

off topic to the current discussion: 

i know it's still way to far to speculate but i think, for the opening ceremony, drag queens might be involved.

the wizard of oz might be the over arching theme. with LA as the 'emerald city'

youtube and the internet might be involve. 

also, the ceremonies might be super gay which will no be liked by the African and Arab countries 

and for the handover, the opening scene from lala land 

That sounds about right if LA was hosting the 2020 or 2024 Games, but they are hosting 2028.

A LOT will happen between now and 2028 that will set the tone for the Los Angeles and the United States.

Way too early to say even for the handover ceremony.

7 minutes ago, Nacre said:

I love video games. It can even sometimes be fun to watch other people play them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rkSwnqAQpk

But gamers are not athletes. They should not be in the Olympics.

I can easily see Tokyo doing something like this, and even Paris for 2024 as the technology is already available.

LA is still too off in the distance.

Ten years ago the iPhone was first introduced. Remember that? A pre-iPhone world?

We can only imagine what it will look like 10 years from now.

9 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

I can easily see Tokyo doing something like this, and even Paris for 2024 as the technology is already available.

LA is still too off in the distance.

Ten years ago the iPhone was first introduced. Remember that? A pre-iPhone world?

We can only imagine what it will look like 10 years from now.

The Olympics have always been an athletic competition. It doesn't matter how much the world changes, you can't redefine the basic nature of things.

If the IOC really wants to add e-sports it would have to be as a side event, the way arts used to get medals in the early games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_competitions_at_the_Summer_Olympics

I think even that would be disastrous, though.

Edited by Nacre

Dateline: City of Angels

A powerful and raw look into LA's chronic homelessness problem, how it began, how it's getting worse, what's being done, and how NIMBYism stalls any progress.

Truly a heartbreaking reality, with just a glimmer of hope.

A must watch.

https://www.nbc.com/dateline/video/city-of-angels/3779455

A little news blurb regarding LA2028:

From olympic.org:

LA 2028 MOVES FORWARD WITH FOCUS ON PARTNERSHIP, LEGACY, INSPIRATION AND INNOVATION

LA 2028  UPDATED REPRESENTATIVES OF THE INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (IOC) AND INTERNATIONAL PARALYMPIC COMMITTEE (IPC) ON THEIR FIRST COORDINATED VISIT TO LOS ANGELES SINCE THE CITY WAS AWARDED THE OLYMPIC GAMES 2028 ON ITS VISION TO IMPLEMENT AN INNOVATIVE GAMES PLAN THAT WILL BENEFIT ANGELENOS FOR DECADES TO COME. 

Read the rest here:

https://www.olympic.org/news/la-2028-moves-forward-with-focus-on-partnership-legacy-inspiration-and-innovation

Way ahead of 2028.  Major street which cuts through many of the African-American neighborhoods to be renamed Obama Road.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/8/29/1791996/-Obama-Boulevard-is-coming-to-Los-Angeles-and-the-location-couldn-t-be-better?detail=emaildkre 

I wonder if the Red Light district will be renamed Trump District.  But that would be insulting the sex-trade workers, wouldn't it?  

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2018 at 11:41 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Way ahead of 2028.  Major street which cuts through many of the African-American neighborhoods to be renamed Obama Road.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/8/29/1791996/-Obama-Boulevard-is-coming-to-Los-Angeles-and-the-location-couldn-t-be-better?detail=emaildkre 

I wonder if the Red Light district will be renamed Trump District.  But that would be insulting the sex-trade workers, wouldn't it?  

Haha. This is great!

Does LA even have a red light district?

I would suggest they name their landfill after Trump, but landfills actually serve a very important service. It would be such an insult to landfills everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2018 at 9:41 AM, JesseSaenz said:

Does LA even have a red light district?

It never really had one per se, at least not in a very long time.

But, when I was younger, certain stretches of Sunset Boulevard were known for prostitution (Hugh Grant back in the 1990s getting busted there). 

Santa Monica Boulevard east of West Hollywood also was known for where the rent boys hung out, and some of the tranny prostitutes. 

Nowadays, you don't really see prostitution on those streets.  Maybe they've moved.  Or maybe the internet has changed things.  Or possibly, prostitutes hang out at bars and clubs now. 

54 minutes ago, ejaycat said:

It never really had one per se, at least not in a very long time.

But, when I was younger, certain stretches of Sunset Boulevard were known for prostitution (Hugh Grant back in the 1990s getting busted there). 

Santa Monica Boulevard east of West Hollywood also was known for where the rent boys hung out, and some of the tranny prostitutes. 

Nowadays, you don't really see prostitution on those streets.  Maybe they've moved.  Or maybe the internet has changed things.  Or possibly, prostitutes hang out at bars and clubs now. 

Actually, they've just moved online.  A little over a year ago, one of the condo units in my bldg was really a mini-brothel in disguise -- until they got busted.  Bookings were made online.  

I called it over a year ago. Tesla has a strong presence in LA already, so this was bound to happen.

Tesla, BMW and BYD, are among others that are in a joint partnership with Los Angeles to accelerate the rollout of electric vehicles ahead of the 2028 Olympics.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1118728_l-a-sets-electric-car-targets-as-host-for-2028-olympics

24 minutes ago, RuFF said:

At least LA has reasonable goals and not bogus press releases to end poverty, homelessness and carbon emissions.

No mention of ending poverty from the LA side, but they have aggressively pushed for homelessness solutions starting back in 2015, and curbing carbon emissions is a byproduct of the electric car roll out.

So while not specifically mentioned (smart of them), they aim to address some of the same problems.

20 - 40% ownership of electric cars by 2028 seems very plausible, especially with new electric models coming out each year.

I know Metro Los Angeles recently announced their intent for a zero emissions bus fleet by 2030, and truthfully, that can happen way before that.

1 hour ago, JesseSaenz said:

No mention of ending poverty from the LA side, but they have aggressively pushed for homelessness solutions starting back in 2015

The homeless issue can't really be "solved" because it is a symptom rather than a disease. People end up homeless due to bankruptcy, addiction, mental health issues, etc. Those underlying issues need to be resolved to really get people off the street. Unfortunately this still escapes Seattle politicians, who are constantly rolling out "five year plans" to eliminate homelessness in the city. *grumble* *grumble*

I drove by this site a few weeks ago.  The stadium in Inglewood is really starting to take shape.

Fresh Renderings and a 360-Degree Tour of the Hollywood Park Development

https://urbanize.la/post/fresh-renderings-and-360-degree-tour-hollywood-park-development

Ellay, the Marijuana Capital of the world, will be ready to receive the Potheads of the World in 2028!!   I wonder who the Official Marijuana Distributor for 2028 will be??  LOL!!

https://www.californiacitynews.org/2017/09/la-could-soon-be-marijuana-capital-world-there’s-catch.html 

3 hours ago, RuFF said:

Interestingly enough LA is a giant market and the tourism to the city is approaching 50 million a year. I can definitely see LA garnishing a spotlight on Marijuana come 2028. I don’t know that it’s that important of a topic but I can agree with the article.

Is m.j. a banned substance on the IOC list now?  If not, they're going to have to tweak that list by 2028; otherwise, 2028, with the LEGAL availability of marijuana in the host city and state, then how can it be illegal on the visiting IOC's list??  The constitutional courts are going to be quite busy come 2028.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Is m.j. a banned substance on the IOC list now?  If not, they're going to have to tweak that list by 2028; otherwise, 2028, with the LEGAL availability of marijuana in the host city and state, then how can it be illegal on the visiting IOC's list??  The constitutional courts are going to be quite busy come 2028.  

Oh dear lord, not this again.  Had a feeling this is where we were headed when you brought up the issue of marijuana, because we've been over this before.  Let's see if we can explain it to you again and maybe this time you'll actually understand..

List of drugs banned by WADA

The IOC determines the rules you need to follow in order to compete in the Olympics.  Yes, marijuana is on the banned substance list, as it has been since after the `98 Olympics when the IOC closed the loophole that allowed Ross Rebagliati to have his gold medal reinstated.  How many of the substances on that list can be purchased legally?  They are still prohibited by the IOC.  This is not a constitutional issue.  Again, Andrea Raducan lost her medal for testing positive for pseudoephedrine.  That's commonly found in products such as sudafed.  Very much legal, but still banned by the IOC.  Olympic athletes are free to get high while in the state of California for the Olympics.  Perfectly legal to purchase and consume, but NOT while they are competing in the Olympics.  No athlete can use the "but weed is legal in California" excuse if they fail a drug test.  And no court will be able to offer a judgment on that which supersedes the IOC's rules.

Marijuana will definitely contribute to the success of the 2028 Games,  make no doubt about it.

Of course, there will be no formal affiliation with the IOC,  but its essential role in California and the Los Angeles lifestyle will make it a very sought after commodity by visitors. I could even go as far to say that many will add it to their itinerary as they ALREADY do now, especially by Europeans and Australians. Cannibis tourism skyrocketed in California since its legalization.

Of course, Athletes will need to steer clear and be mindful of it.

Pot Friendly Tourism Takes Off in California

Skipping out on a good smoke session in California is like going to France without trying their wine or cheese.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

California and the pot industry is not even hiding their excitement about the 2028 Summer Games and the revenue opportunities for them.

Let's start with LAX now allowing Marijuana on departing flights :) --> https://www.businessinsider.com/travelers-can-fly-through-lax-with-marijuana-2018-9

Official Statement from Los Angeles World Airports (LAX) -->
https://www.flylax.com/en/lax-marijuana-policy

2028 LA Olympics to Be First Ever With Legal Cannabis --> https://www.leafly.com/news/lifestyle/2028-la-olympics-first-ever-legal-cannabis

The Marijuana 2028 Olympic Games Coming to California --> https://cannabisnow.com/cannabis-industry-insiders-believe-weed-will-fund-2028-olympics/

2028 Summer Olympics to be First to Occur in Area with Legal Marijuana --> https://thejointblog.com/2028-summer-olympics-first-occur-area-legal-marijuana/

Cannabis-2016Olympics@2x.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Potential problems brewing to the LA Olympics, the anti olympics group noolympicsla (look it up on twitter) ran an independent poll and got the result that out of 1000 people polled they got 47% oppose and only 26% support (27% neutral) obviously very different then the 2016 polls done. It was already picked up by ATR and even LA Times, and now they are trying to push for a referendum and keep talking about denver 1976 that rejected the olympics after being awarded it.

Do you think it's something that might concern USOC,IOC,LA2028? 

3 hours ago, Maximf83 said:

Potential problems brewing to the LA Olympics, the anti olympics group noolympicsla (look it up on twitter) ran an independent poll and got the result that out of 1000 people polled they got 47% oppose and only 26% support (27% neutral) obviously very different then the 2016 polls done. It was already picked up by ATR and even LA Times, and now they are trying to push for a referendum and keep talking about denver 1976 that rejected the olympics after being awarded it.

Nah.  Ain't gonna happen. 

#1 - LA 2028's (for the most part) a privately funded enterprise;

#2 - Contracts have been signed (SCOCG would be liable for breach of contract if they reneged on a signed agreement (which has even been approved by the California legislature). 

#3 - It's NOT like the last time LA hosted, it took a bath financially.  Remember, LA 1984 made a profit of $223 million for the organizers which has been plowed back into the City.  The Olympics have been good for LA; one can't think of too many negative things that the OGs have brought to LA.  They'll get snowed under.  

"No Olympics in LA" is just whistling past the graveyard. (That's 1000 people THEY chose.  Their effort is really moot.)  On the slim chance that NoOlympics succeeds in yanking the Games from LA; then the SCCOG and USOC can sue the group back for damages and expenses incurred + some, and the Courts will side with them.   LA 2028 could sue them for at least $100 million plus; and can No Olympics compensate the Organizers?  I HIGHLY DOUBT it.  So that "referendum" ain't gonna bite in LA, of all places.  

8 hours ago, Maximf83 said:

What baron said.  There will be ZERO concern on the part of the USOC, the IOC, or LA2028.  The time for this group to push back against an Olympic bid would have been BEFORE they were awarded to LA, not after.  No, this is not going to be a Denver 1976 situation and the folks in charge of their social media (who I am going to start trolling as soon as I type this) need to understand what happened then and why history won't repeat itself.  There was a funding measure put to vote - and a relatively small one at that - which killed their Olympic hopes.  Not at issue here because as baron noted, this is a privately funded bid.  The only way that funding falls by the wayside is to appeal to corporation and private sponsors.  They can't appeal to citizens to tell the government not to back this because they are not the majority source of funding.  So to say they are trying to push for a referendum.. I don't think they realize that's not going to accomplish anything,

9 hours ago, Maximf83 said:

Here’s the survey. I suggest you go through a few of the questions, which are pretty eye opening.  You’ll see almost every single question is baited with a lead-in of fear tactics about the Olympics(even subtly invoking the threat of ICE in largely immigrant LA). If they didn’t get the poll to respond the way they wanted, I’d have been more surprised. 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/nolympicsLA

• Like 1