1 hour ago, Bear said:

i dont know why you're acting like it's a huge deal - they can just make it random for each medal, or alternatively make sport variations for each medal - for example:

LA28_AlexMorgan_RGB.jpeg?w=620

^^^ can be the emblem used for the football medals

LA28_Sky_WSK_Logo_Lock_Up.jpg

^^^ this can be used for the skateboarding medals

Simone_Manuel.jpg

^^^ this can be used for the swimming medals

and so on

I’ve always been a bit sceptical about how practically “dynamic” the LA logo could be, but I quite like this idea.

it could even be taken one step further and these could be used as the sports pictograms of the games (yes, I have pictograms on my mind at the moment). These could be at the venues and on the tickets and medals at each event, and actually really make the logo “dynamic”, and the pictograms an integral part of it. Not to mention the examples you’ve given do give me a California “vide”.

You’ve actually sparked a bit more enthusiasm on my part for the LA logo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bear said:

i dont know why you're acting like it's a huge deal - they can just make it random for each medal, or alternatively make sport variations for each medal - for example:

LA28_AlexMorgan_RGB.jpeg?w=620

^^^ can be the emblem used for the football medals

LA28_Sky_WSK_Logo_Lock_Up.jpg

^^^ this can be used for the skateboarding medals

Simone_Manuel.jpg

^^^ this can be used for the swimming medals

and so on

Eh.  I don't know why you're acting like it's NOT a big deal.  :wacko:

Put alongside all the OTHER Summer medals in the IOC Museum collection, they would stick out like a sore thumb!  With the Summer medals, the IOC prefers conservative and following tradition -- which is why one side must show Nike.  THey let organizers let their hair down with the Winter medals.  I guess you are NOT a purist like I am; and again, would you have 30 examples of this hybrid medal in the museum case, vs. just one for the past Games?  Smacks very much of Me!  Me! Me!  Look at me -- how different and Glorious I am from the past!  :rolleyes:  All the past medals have used a non-dynamic Official logo; so why should LA 2028 break the mold?  And if they just display a random one -- then they're NOT displaying the complete panoply of the all the Official appurtenances . . . which are taken care of by just ONE design/medal from the past Games.  

It sets a bad precedent because then Brisbane will have 50 variations of its logo/medals,  Host City 2036 will have 90 variations!  So, that's also why.  

(Actually, I have a solution but I am not going to share it here with you rubes.  :P)  

10 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Smacks very much of Me!  Me! Me!  Look at me -- how different and Glorious I am from the past! 

Isn’t that the whole attraction for cities in wanting to host the games?

If we didn’t have evolution, we’d still be in an era of flagpoles, mass choirs, precision marching and no artistic segments in the OCs. Change has added glamour and individual personalities to the games.

8 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Isn’t that the whole attraction for cities in wanting to host the games?

If we didn’t have evolution, we’d still be in an era of flagpoles, mass choirs, precision marching and no artistic segments in the OCs. Change has added glamour and individual personalities to the games.

Well, yeah, the HUGE afterglow -- but when it comes down to the all the little pieces that make up the Games, you have to fall in line somewhere because you just become another notch in the IOC files / archives /exhibits.  They're NOT going to build a whole new wing at the IOC Museum just to display the different variants of LA 28 (or whatever city) in its T-shirts, cups, keychains, medals, torches, pennants, etc., etc.  The Ceremonies are ephemeral.  The medals will be among the truly lasting items of one set of Games.  Besides, you have to display the 2 sides of the medals in the showcases.  There has to be some sort of balance.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Lausanne will do just fine with a generic, representative medal in its cases. 

It’s good we’ve all got our idiosyncracies- it gives us something to argue about :P

But resistance to a bit of change is futile. Especially if the IOC wants to survive and grab the enthusiasm of the X, Y and Z generations and onwards. Best to ride with it, or risk becoming like that Jim858796 member years ago who thought the world had tilted off its axis and that he and the games were personally cursed because Rio decided to have its opening away from its athletics venue (he must now be in a padded cell over Paris), or Olympics2028 who longs for the dignified days of the 1920s with precision flagpoles, choirs and no messy entertainment.

Long live Olympic iconoclasm!

58 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Eh.  I don't know why you're acting like it's NOT a big deal.  :wacko:

because it really isn't - it's not like the Olympic Movement will implode just because LA28 might have to adapt a simple feature (not even the entire thing!) of a medal to fit their branding decisions

On 2/11/2023 at 4:42 PM, Olympics2028 said:

I don't believe in 1984 there was a venue for white water rapids, although I don't know all the angles and history around that part of a summer Olympics. But I just read this snippet: "The whitewater slalom events made their Olympic debut in Munich in 1972, but were not part of the program again until 1992."

However, there's something called Grizzly Rapids at one of the Disney parks in nearby Anaheim, so maybe the 2028 OC can use that? Which could work, just as long as the venue includes properly placed flag poles and a large choir.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but L.A.'s 2016 plan called for using either Grizzly Rapids or a nearby water park (cannot remember the name) for the whitewater events. Logistically I don't know how that would unless you have a lot of space around the attraction for temporary bleacher seating and press and media facilities.

8 hours ago, stryker said:

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but L.A.'s 2016 plan called for using either Grizzly Rapids or a nearby water park (cannot remember the name) for the whitewater events. Logistically I don't know how that would unless you have a lot of space around the attraction for temporary bleacher seating and press and media facilities.

Raging Waters, apparently - https://web.archive.org/web/20070513130235/http://www.sccog.org/webapp/servlet/content/view/42/1/

12 hours ago, Bear said:

I thought so, couldn't quite remember the name. Glad you included the link. I much preferred L.A.`s 2016 plan to their 2028 plan. Back to the whitewater venue, I'm not sure how feasible using an existing water park would've been given the temporary overlays required. I do remember the plan to build a temporary pool in the parking lot next to the Long Beach Convention Center as well (this location has been done for Olympic trials). As for the 2028 aquatics venu, I get the location idea with the USC pool used as a warm=up pool but will World Aquatics really approve of an open air venue in the hot California sun?

1 hour ago, stryker said:

As for the 2028 aquatics venu, I get the location idea with the USC pool used as a warm=up pool but will World Aquatics really approve of an open air venue in the hot California sun?

Uhmmm . . . Paris 1900, etc., LA 1932, LA 1984, Barcelona 1992, Rio 2016?  If they had any complaints about the Dedeaux Field scheme, then I think they would have spoken up by now.  The athletes are in the water . . . how hot could that be?  

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Uhmmm . . . Paris 1900, etc., LA 1932, LA 1984, Barcelona 1992, Rio 2016?  If they had any complaints about the Dedeaux Field scheme, then I think they would have spoken up by now.  The athletes are in the water . . . how hot could that be?  

Rio held their swimming events with a covered roof. Only diving and artistic swimming was held at the smaller Maria Lenk pool which FINA complained about. Athens was also supposed to have a roof over their main pool but they ran out of money. The last planned open air pool at an Olympics was Barcelona. Times change. I point out as well that World Aquatics has held all their recent world championships with the main pool covered. At just over five years out there's still plenty of time for complaining should they desire.

3 hours ago, stryker said:

Rio held their swimming events with a covered roof. Only diving and artistic swimming was held at the smaller Maria Lenk pool which FINA complained about. Athens was also supposed to have a roof over their main pool but they ran out of money. The last planned open air pool at an Olympics was Barcelona. Times change. I point out as well that World Aquatics has held all their recent world championships with the main pool covered. At just over five years out there's still plenty of time for complaining should they desire.

Those plans were announced as early as 2015 or 2016, why would FINA open its yap just now? :blink:  How about no swim events from 11am - 4:30 pm?  That still leaves plenty of time (9am - 11am; 4:30 - 9:00pm) to compete.  

Are we really out of subjects to kvetch about?  

49 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Those plans were announced as early as 2015 or 2016, why would FINA open its yap just now? :blink:  How about no swim events from 11am - 4:30 pm?  That still leaves plenty of time (9am - 11am; 4:30 - 9:00pm) to compete.  

Are we really out of subjects to kvetch about?  

On this site?.. Never!

There will almost certainly be events there during the daytime since it'll be impossible to avoid with artistic swimming and diving both at that venue.  The swimming events will likely be something in the range of 10am-12pm for the prelims and maybe 6pm-8pm or thereabouts for the finals.  So at least they'll miss the midday heat.

My issue continues to be what happens to Dedeaux Field after the Olympics.  Seems like this is more than a temporary overlay they'll have to largely rebuild the stadium in order to get it back into baseball mode.  And there haven't been any updated renderings, so I assume the original plans are still what are in place.

3 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

My issue continues to be what happens to Dedeaux Field after the Olympics.  Seems like this is more than a temporary overlay they'll have to largely rebuild the stadium in order to get it back into baseball mode.  And there haven't been any updated renderings, so I assume the original plans are still what are in place.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2022/07/12/future-of-dedeaux-field-begins-to-emerge/

This article is dated (last July) but it hints at the idea that Dedeaux Field will receive a major upgrade as part of its use for the Olympics rather than just dropping a temporary pool in the middle of the field with temporary seating. My guess is there will be new grandstands and luxury suites included as part of an upgrade and perhaps new locker rooms for the baseball team.

12 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Yeah, I don't think USC needs 2 Olympic-sized pools side by side.  Besides, (Alfred?) Uytengsu gave USC like $6.5 million to upgrade the 1984 pool and, of course, to bear his name for a while.  Once they dismantle the '28 pool; of course, USC will get a brand-new, state-of-the-art baseball stadium.  

“The Shoreline Drive Gateway project will reconfigure West Shoreline Drive to remove a roadway barrier and improve access and connectivity between Downtown Long Beach and public open space; create a new bicycle path and pedestrian amenities; and divert highway traffic from residential streets to major arterials.”

iC46F8z.jpg

On 2/16/2023 at 12:35 AM, BigVic said:

East Coast bias will mean the ceremonies will be in daylight to allow a live coverage in the primetime hours

I should hope so. When the IOC switched to a nightime format for the 1992 games, I thought its opening (at least towards the last half of 1992's symbolic beginning---it began in partial sunlight) looked as dark or somber as closings of past decades. Some of the etiquette of the "Olympics" got tossed out. But TV ratings are TV ratings, and dollars are dollars.

Increasingly, in today's culture, the custom of going to work in, for example, a suit and wingtip shoes is being tossed out in favor of showing up dressed in sweatpants and Nikes.

On 2/19/2023 at 5:23 PM, Sir Rols said:

But resistance to a bit of change is futile. Especially if the IOC wants to survive and grab the enthusiasm of the X, Y and Z generations and onwards. Best to ride with it, or risk becoming like....Olympics2028 who longs for the dignified days of the 1920s with precision flagpoles, choirs and no messy entertainment.

Long live Olympic iconoclasm!

Given extended trends in things like the Super Bowl, the NBA Finals, the World Series, and certainly foo-foo-faa-faa cultural traditions like the Oscars, Grammys, Emmys, etc, I do agree that resistance is futile. The former, however, still have some athletic value, while the latter has increasingly wilted into a heap of symbols like participation trophies, yawns/shrugs/no BFD and flaky-bizarro world.