14 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Better that than the sun setting even earlier than when the 1984 opening occurred. I hope necessity (and financial considerations) mandate the opening of the 2028 games occur again (as summer and winter Olympics did originally) during the afternoon when the sun is still up.

Both openings and closings held in the dark - since 1992 - makes them too identical. The later PM schedule makes the start and ending seem like an even bigger blob, and gives an opening ceremony more of downbeat, somber look and tone.

Financial considerations will absolutely dictate the start time of the 2028 ceremonies.  And I can promise you that the most important consideration of all will be when NBC wants the cauldron lit.  They will dictate the times based on what is best for TV ratings.  Sunset times may or may not be the most important thing, but there's a reason every ceremony in the last 30 years save for 1 has finished after dark.  As usual, you're very much in the minority that nighttime means more downbeat and somber.  The visuals that appear on TV (which is the primary consideration these days, as opposed to the Olympics of yesteryear we know you pine for) are better served with nighttime as a backdrop.

5 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Financial considerations will absolutely dictate the start time of the 2028 ceremonies.  And I can promise you that the most important consideration of all will be when NBC wants the cauldron lit.  They will dictate the times based on what is best for TV ratings. 

The broadcast of live West Coast events for decades has been made to fit the Eastern time zone, not visa versa. More people live east of the Mississippi, not west of it.

I'm accustomed to seeing events held in LA that might seem more formal or fancier when held at nighttime. But in the case of an opening of the Olympics, I feel just the opposite way.

Nighttime lighting, including projection mapping, has become so overdone at summer/winter ceremonies, for both opening and closing, there's now no reason to pull out that same gimmick for the beginning of another summer games.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:15 AM, Olympics2028 said:

I didn't realize that.

I recall the 2000 games were held later in the year and its TV ratings, at least in the US, were lower than previous games, which some analysts attributed to the later schedule.

That’s basically why the IOC mandates now that the Summer Olympics be held between July 15th & Aug. 31st. So that they don’t clash with any other sport calendars beyond those dates.

• 2 weeks later...

So LA28 recently opened (and subsequently hired, I assume as the position is no longer available) the position of VP Brand Design & Look of the Games. It likely doesn't mean anything now but i thought it was noteworthy and potentially indicative of what LAOCOG might now be focusing on

12 hours ago, Bear said:

So LA28 recently opened (and subsequently hired, I assume as the position is no longer available) the position of VP Brand Design & Look of the Games. It likely doesn't mean anything now but i thought it was noteworthy and potentially indicative of what LAOCOG might now be focusing on

I think anything LA does will depend on what Paris puts out there.  Paris will be having 2nd dibs on the "3x host" thing.  So if it overkills that theme, then it wouldn't work for LA.  But if they don't, there might still be some mileage left from it for LA to use in '28.  It just all depends on what comes out in 2024.  Also, sometimes personnel change mid-stream in these OCOGs, so whomever is hired now could still change later on.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

“Following our investigations, measurements and technical analyses, the Board has decided to formally accept this option proposed by the LA28 Olympic Games Organising Committee. 

"We consider that reducing to 1500m, adapting to the technical and environmental constraints was a significant and justified effort, but one that will of course remain exceptional and unique.“

• 2 weeks later...

"We visited a lot of the wonderful, iconic and world-class venues that are going to be used for the Games, so we were quite happy about that.

"LA is an amazing place, the Games are going to be amazing and the venues are amazing, so in general we are very, very happy about this CoCom.

"The venues that are going to be used are a mix of the historic used for the 1932 and 1984 Olympic Games, and of course we have world-class modern venues that have been built since the Games took place in 1984, so we have this beautiful mix of the old and the new, and the CoCom was very excited to be visiting the venues."

B12x1zi.jpg

“World Rowing has agreed to a request from organisers of the Games for the competition to be staged over 1,500 metres at Long Beach Marine Stadium, representing the shortest course in Olympic history.”

“Rowing at the 2028 Olympics had been due to take place at Lake Perris, which is situated around 70 miles east of Los Angeles.”

“The sport's events were held a considerable distance outside the city when it last staged the Olympics in 1984, with a venue at Lake Casitas used.”

“Long Beach hosted rowing at Los Angeles 1932, although the Games report acknowledged that rowing presented "a difficult problem" due to a lack of a suitable venue in the surrounding area.”

“The installation of the J.H. Davies Bridge in 1955 has limited the course's length to 1,500m.”

“In terms of the overall picture, Wasserman provided an update on behalf of the local organizing committee. He told reporters, “we are entering our operational phase with great clarity and confidence,” adding “we are on track to host an incredible Olympic and Paralympic Games.

/\/\  Which means the new Intuit/Clippers Arena could probably be the new Indoor Volleyball venue.  So if they move Volleyball to this new venue in Inglewood, Volleyball will be getting a nearly state-of-the-art venue; not the usual hand-me-down, ready-to-be-torn-down-next-season venue as it usually gets.  (Or move Gymnastics to Intuit and move Volleyball into the Forum as was an original alternate plan for 1984.)  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 9/29/2022 at 8:09 PM, AustralianFan said:

I imagine they might also be in use at venues, but I’m only guessing.

No; not necessarily.  That's why they have varying editions of the logo.  They cannot favor one logo with one sponsor's ID and then not do it for others.  Besides, the Olympic rules are simple: no advertising of any kind in the venues.  And including Delta's logo is advertising -- unfair to the other sponsors.  So, NO; they will probably NOT appear at the venues.  

18 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Besides, the Olympic rules are simple: no advertising of any kind in the venues.  And including Delta's logo is advertising -- unfair to the other sponsors.  So, NO; they will probably NOT appear at the venues.  

yes that's the case for the Olympics, but I had questioned if this could be the case during the Paralympics, which do allow advertising in the venues

15 minutes ago, Bear said:

yes that's the case for the Olympics, but I had questioned if this could be the case during the Paralympics, which do allow advertising in the venues

Possibly.  Maybe Paris will give a clue--after all, it will be the first Paralympics for both Paris and LA.  

As one very cryptic Gamesbids poster says: we shall see.  :blink:

“Presentations are being made by nine International Federations (IFs) which made an LA28 shortlist, this week, insidethegames understands.”

“These are the governing bodies for motorsport, cricket, karate, baseball and softball, lacrosse, breaking, kickboxing, squash and American football.