5 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

SoFi will be no less "been there, done that" than the stadiums used in 2008 or 2012 were. Or 2020/2021.

However, for a summer games, it will be the first time an Olympic opening/closing is held in a totally roofed-over building. The only feature that makes SoFi a stadium that can be described as state-of-the-art is its huge overhanging monitor or message board. But for an Olympics ceremony, that will come off as a clunky distraction.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:  Says someone who just views a few seconds of SOME Olympic ceremonies.  LOL!  You gotta try harder to convince me your opinions are worth more.  

1 minute ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Says someone who just views a few seconds of SOME Olympic ceremonies. 

Making a person watch an entire Olympic opening/closing in today's era is cruel and unusual punishment. It's worse than Chinese-water torture.

Although I'm willing to watch a complete replay of a ceremony from over 60 years ago, particularly the 1964 one in Tokyo. Or Mexico 1968.

15 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Making a person watch an entire Olympic opening/closing in today's era is cruel and unusual punishment. It's worse than Chinese-water torture.

making a person listen to you is a cruel and unusual punishment

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I doubt that even the archivist at the IOC in Lausanne singles those out.  Get with it.  

The IOC's Youtube channel has just about all the openings and closings of summer and winter games for the past 30 years. I admit that although I think, for example, the 2012 ceremonies were a joke, the videos of them have tallied a large number of views.

My idea of what's known as ancient Chinese-water torture (or watching paint dry, or grass grow) is different from other people's idea of water torture.

2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Although I'm willing to watch a complete replay of a ceremony from over 60 years ago, particularly the 1964 one in Tokyo. Or Mexico 1968.

No one is making you watch an entire ceremony.  But if you want to share opinions on them with people who have seen them in full, doesn't seem like a tall order.  It's a few hours twice every other year.  Not really a massive time commitment.  And once again, if you're trying to shape ideas and opinions about what the 2028 ceremonies should or shouldn't be, maybe it would be helpful to know what recent ceremonies have been rather than to arrogantly proclaim it's not worth your time

• Like 2

On 4/29/2022 at 4:14 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

Despite its "dynamism," it seems rather limited.  LIke -- is that all it can do?  And why just the "A"?? 

It’s just only the latest addition to the dynamic, ever-changing “A” in the LA2028 logo.

Here is the background to the logo:

Source: Los Angeles 2028 unveil digital logo with "ever-changing A" to highlight diversity and individuality - 1 Sep 2020 - Inside The Games

Los Angeles 2028 has unveiled a new logo for the Olympic and Paralympic Games featuring an “ever-changing A”, which organisers say will allow co-creation with members of the public able to design their own version.

The “A” is claimed to highlight the “infinite stories” of the host city and the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Los Angeles 2028 say the logo is designed for the digital age, with the changing A enabling it to remain relevant during the eight-year build-up to the Games.

"The emblem is strong and bold and allows for endless storytelling opportunities," said Casey Wasserman, Los Angeles 2028 chairperson.

"It reflects the spirit of Los Angeles as ever-evolving and looking towards future.

"The L 2 and 8 creates a strong foundation and anchor the dynamic and ever-changing A.

"The emblem will inspire individuality and self-expression, as well as being an invitation to co-create with us.

"It will build upon a legacy and spirit of what came before us, while engaging a new generation of Olympic and Paralympic fans."

IMO, these “dynamic” logos are over-hyped. They sound great in concept and in graphic arts-speak, but ultimately, they rarely get used so dynamically or get noticed for that purpose.

London’s was also touted as being changeable, with it’s main feature designed as an “infill”, able to be used in different colours, patterns etc:

spacer.png

In reality, at least especially outside the UK, most media materials used the single, ubiquitous logo - usually the pink.

Similarly, Rio’s was touted as the first “3D” logo

spacer.png

Which was all very fine, made for a few nice collectables, but to all intents and purposes, when used on a TV screen, an internet site or the printed page, only the generic 2D version was able to be used.

Again, the dynamic LA logo is great in theory, but when t comes time to use on banners, stadium hoardings, TV idents, printed materials etc, some single generic version is going to be bound to dominate - unless LA decide to go more for the use of LED panels in their stadiums, outdoor signage’s etc. Which, granted, is not beyond the realms of possibility, but would certainly not fit wth the concept of a cheaper, sustainable games.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2

Ozziefan -- I KNOW all that.  You don't have to feed me the whole backstory.  What made you think I didn't know.  I still find it -- as Rols explained -- really of rather limited usage.  The concept is great but its practical application is tres limited.  Don't make me say this again!! 

4 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

IMO, these “dynamic” logos are over-hyped. They sound great in concept and in graphic arts-speak, but ultimately, they rarely get used so dynamically or get noticed for that purpose.

London’s was also touted as being changeable, with it’s main feature designed as an “infill”, able to be used in different colours, patterns etc:

spacer.png

In reality, at least especially outside the UK, most media materials used the single, ubiquitous logo - usually the pink.

Similarly, Rio’s was touted as the first “3D” logo

spacer.png

Which was all very fine, made for a few nice collectables, but to all intents and purposes, when used on a TV screen, an internet site or the printed page, only the generic 2D version was able to be used.

Again, the dynamic LA logo is great in theory, but when t comes time to use on banners, stadium hoardings, TV idents, printed materials etc, some single generic version is going to be bound to dominate - unless LA decide to go more for the use of LED panels in their stadiums, outdoor signage’s etc. Which, granted, is not beyond the realms of possibility, but would certainly not fit wth the concept of a cheaper, sustainable games.

There will have to be an official logo for the games otherwise, which logo will they put at the medals?,  the printed thing has already been worked out with different visual identities. But anyway which identity will they go after?, will each venue have their own identity?. In london you had the pink/purple/blue/orange messy spiky thing identity, in Tokyo you had the red/blue/purple/green rectangular minimalistic thing. Bet in paris we will se plain black/golden venues with the black/white version of the logo and the rings. Rio had a superv organic design identity inspired in the city mountains shape with only a green/orange/blue colour variations. Just cant imagine how venues will look in LA, and if working with different identities will make the games identitiy loose the "anywhere is the host city" thing. In the paper is an original idea, but seems a little bit impractical from the design POV. Theres still 7 years an plenty of thing to show, IDK if in 3 years they will anounce a more formal thing

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

/\/\  Would the inclusion of cricket also have a women's component?  Aside from the CWG nations, where else is it played? 

I hope that the cricket competition at LA28 would be in a T20 format (20 overs) and would include both mens and womens sides.  But for first time inclusion of T20 in the Games, I’m not sure which way the IOC would go on that one. 

Just found this on wikipedia re the USA T20 cricket competition:

Minor League Cricket is the highest level of domestic T20 cricket currently played in America, with T20 being the format of the game that much of the recent growth in American cricket is occurring in.”

“Major League Cricket (MLC) is an upcoming professional Twenty20 cricket league in the United States. Operated by American Cricket Enterprises (ACE) and sanctioned by USA Cricket, it plans to begin play in 2023, with six teams in major U.S. cities under a single-entity model.” 

On 4/25/2022 at 11:06 AM, Quaker2001 said:

No one is making you watch an entire ceremony.  But if you want to share opinions on them with people who have seen them in full, doesn't seem like a tall order. 

If I saw replays of segments of openings/closings after the fact and wanted to change my opinion, then I'd want to watch an entire ceremony. But if anything, when I've viewed additional parts of them going back years, I find I have either the same or even less positive opinion.

I had never watched the opening of the 2002 winter games in Salt Lake City until about 2 months ago. It pretty much followed a template that I would have predicted even back then.

I never saw a portion of the closing of the 2000 summer games in Sydney until late last year. That's the segment where the ceremony's producer mocked a stadium worker crashing his maintenance cart into the speakers platform. Whoa. lol. SMH.

I admit that the sales/marketing people of the IOC and organizing committees create ceremonies that are not aimed at people like me. So my tastes and preferences are different from theirs.

23 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

but when t comes time to use on banners, stadium hoardings, TV idents, printed materials etc, some single generic version is going to be bound to dominate

All the bid presentation material had the image of the bid logo, the stylized angel-type figure. I liked that since it was a nice change of pace from the overly abstract logos of previous games.

As for the changing "A" logo, I have mixed reactions about it. But I prefer it to the "hair product" logo of 2024 and the "Lisa Simpson" logo of 2012.

As for the 2016 logo, that always made me think of a plastic toy in a McDonald's kiddie meal, and the 2020 logo wasn't as simple and dignified as the 1964 logo was.

I don't know where the money is going to come from for a cricket field in Irvine, California. I watched a video about that sports awhile ago and, sorry, it doesn't make sense in today's world where there are already a million athletic activities jammed into an already stuffed sports calendar.

Save cricket for Brisbane 2028.

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I don't know where the money is going to come from for a cricket field in Irvine, California. I watched a video about that sports awhile ago and, sorry, it doesn't make sense in today's world where there are already a million athletic activities jammed into an already stuffed sports calendar.

Save cricket for Brisbane 2028.

Google has that answer for you..  Shah Rukh Khan’s Knight Riders Group to Invest in $30 Million Cricket Stadium Near Los Angeles

I doubt Cricket will make it into the 2028 Olympics in LA and it doesn't help the cause that the stadium is all the way down in Irvine.  But it's happening.  Not everything exists through the lens of the Olympics.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 10:39 PM, Chris_Mex said:

But anyway which identity will they go after?

Something neon green and black, if we are to go with the main colors used in their social media headers and the website background

maybe something along the lines of this notebook cover design:

ff_4756293-e49e2ca048929cdedfae_full.jpg

23 minutes ago, Bear said:

Something neon green and black, if we are to go with the main colors used in their social media headers and the website background

maybe something along the lines of this notebook cover design:

ff_4756293-e49e2ca048929cdedfae_full.jpg

Eh.  With Paris going for black & gold, I doubt that sunny LA would use "black" again so quickly.  I think a lot of LA's final identity decisions will be determined by Paris' choices.  If anything, LA could do a repeat of the 1984 colors because those strong NEON colors really represent LA's very tropical/desert setting.  And they would echo London 2012's choices which did not represent a London environement actually but something London wishes it has.  

Wow!  LA28 has become the first OCOG (as far as I know) to purposely involve ex-Olympians and Paralympians in the early organizational planning of the Games -- in paid fellowships -- and have so publicly declared.  (I think this means single people in their late '20s - 30s who can undertake the relocation to LA.)  And it's NOT just limited to US citizens.  It's for Para/Olympians who have legal residency to live and work in the US. 

LA28 is truly putting its $$ where its mouth is.  Deadline to apply is 10 May 2022.  Kudos to Casey Wasserman and his team (unlike Estanguet and his which seem like rank amateurs).  

Get involved in the LA28 Olympian/Paralympian Fellowship Program - Athlete365 (olympics.com)

Edited by baron-pierreIV