2 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I recall during one of the finals of track and field, there were noticeable sections of the Macarena stadium that had a sparse number of people in the stands.

Was that the Rio Olympics or the Los Del Río Olympics?..

ce8cckshdx511.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

The stadium in Rio is the Maracanã.  And yes, there were a lot of empty stadiums there during the track & field competition.. which was held at Engenhão Stadium.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I personally can't come up with enough facets of "Olympics," "2028 Olympics" or "2028 Ceremonies" to be totally original in everything I key into this thread. Or the "Olympics" threads in general.

Well then it’s very, very simple. You don’t have to post. You don’t have a quota to make up each day. If you’ve got nothing new to say, then you have nothing to post about. What’s that you (all too often) say? “less is more”?

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

As it is, I'm having to stretch in 2022 to bring up the subject of a mascot that 2028 will come up with.

2024 is possibly creating a mascot based upon a hat, which some will find goofy. But it's won't necessarily be any goofier than other games' mascots have been.

The 1984 mascot did have a big hat. Personally, for my tastes "Sam the eagle" was too Disneyfied.

That’s quite on-topic here - until a specific mascot thread is created in a few years. It’s likely four years off till a mascot is unveiled for ‘28.

As too too Disneyfied - you do realise these are mainly created for souvenir toys for kids?

18 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

As too too Disneyfied - you do realise these are mainly created for souvenir toys for kids?

Speaking of which, I'd be interested in knowing the history of the IOC/host cities and Olympic mascots.

I'm too lazy right now to look up when that entire facet of a games started. 1948? 1960? 1972?

2 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Speaking of which, I'd be interested in knowing the history of the IOC/host cities and Olympic mascots.

I'm too lazy right now to look up when that entire facet of a games started. 1948? 1960? 1972?

Unofficial mascot? 1932 (it was a real stray dog adopted during the games). Then 1968 had an unofficial jaguar mascot. 

Official? Since 1972 - Munich’s Waldi.

15 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Official? Since 1972 - Munich’s Waldi.

That's good to know.

If 2028 decides to sidestep that recent tradition, I won't mind.

49 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

The stadium in Rio is the Maracanã.  And yes, there were a lot of empty stadiums there during the track & field competition.. which was held at Engenhão Stadium.

Hey, where did my reply to Quaker go?

Why was my post somehow more OT than a few of the other posts above are? A gif that shows people dancing or one that ha-ha's about my mis-naming Rio 2016's ceremonies' stadium is somehow more on-topic?

Who's editing here?

My post at least illustrated the nature of Olympic games. Or a video that showed one of the main track events at a summer games, in this instance in 2016. Or why I consider attendance the most important of 3 major categories that an organizing committee had to deal with.

3 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Well then it’s very, very simple. You don’t have to post. You don’t have a quota to make up each day. If you’ve got nothing new to say, then you have nothing to post about. What’s that you (all too often) say? “less is more”?

I don't consider GB a social forum, but I also don't consider it a strictly hard-news/official-news-only message board either. Or does it suppose to be?

I like to think of this place as sort of the employees/visitors cafeteria at the IOC in Switzerland. So talking among colleagues/co-workers/guests doesn't have to stick strictly with formal messages straight from the IOC's Human Resources Dept.

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

Hey, where did my reply to Quaker go?

Why was my post somehow more OT than a few of the other posts above are? A gif that shows people dancing or one that ha-ha's about my mis-naming Rio 2016's ceremonies' stadium is somehow more on-topic?

Who's editing here?

My post at least illustrated the nature of Olympic games. Or a video that showed one of the main track events at a summer games, in this instance in 2016. Or why I consider attendance the most important of 3 major categories that an organizing committee had to deal with.

Fun fact for you..

The total attendance for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, a football-crazed nation, was 3.44 million.

In the United States in 1994, before the creation of MLS, was 3.57 million.

What makes those numbers even more amazing is that there were 64 matches played in 2014.  There were only 52 played in 1994.   That World Cup still holds the record for the highest attendance of all time despite the fact there have been 6 World Cups since (soon to be 7) with more games played.

Attendance is not going to be a concern for the 2028 Olympics.  Bringing up 2016 is extremely pointless.  What does that have to do with the potential attendance in LA 2028?  You didn't illustrate anything.  You cherry picked something random and tried to pretend it's connected to this thread. 

There's plenty of things to discuss about Los Angeles 2028 that you need not try and connect it with something else.  And if you can't do that, like Rols said, maybe you don't need to post every thought that pops into your head.

So let's try this.  Without referencing a past Olympics (perhaps with the exception of 1932 and 1984), what are your thoughts on attendance for the 2028 Olympics?  Since you consider it the most important of the 3 major categories that an organizing committee has to deal with.  How do you think they'll deal with it?

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

The 1984 mascot did have a big hat. Personally, for my tastes "Sam the eagle" was too Disneyfied.

maybe it has to do with the fact that it was Disney people who created Sam

9 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I don't consider GB a social forum, but I also don't consider it a strictly hard-news/official-news-only message board either. Or does it suppose to be?

I like to think of this place as sort of the employees/visitors cafeteria at the IOC in Switzerland. So talking among colleagues/co-workers/guests doesn't have to stick strictly with formal messages straight from the IOC's Human Resources Dept.

And what does whether GamesBids is a social or a news forum (I’d just say its a site for fans of the Olympics to exchange news and views) have to do with the notion that if you don’t have anything new to say, there’s no reason to post?

11 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Bringing up 2016 is extremely pointless.  What does that have to do with the potential attendance in LA 2028? 

By inserting that video, I was trying to show how one of the premier events of an Olympics, by not having a SRO stadium, really deflates the atmosphere of a games. That's true of public events in general.

But since my focusing on "ceremonies" for the past few months has given the impression that I rank that as the main influencer of the tone of a games, I wanted to show how attendance really is the ultimate barometer of the success or lack of big success of an Olympics.

There are a lot of moving parts, however. The top rating of the 1996 games - in terms of having the largest attendance in Olympics history - nonetheless didn't necessarily offset its weakness in 1 of the 3 major categories.

If 1996 had turned out being more like 2016, then it would be in similar company.

As for 2028, I've watched videos of the way the 1932 games were treated. Back then, modern media, social media and easy communication didn't exist. Publicity mills that we take for granted in today's high-tech world didn't exist either. Yet some of the same buzz evident in most summer games for over 70 years still cropped up in 1932.

24 minutes ago, Bear said:

maybe it has to do with the fact that it was Disney people who created Sam

That I fully realize. I did watch the video that was posted of a segment on a local LA news broadcast back in 1980.

I also thought 1984's logo was too slick in a corporate-type way. Although I prefer it to, by contrast, 2012's logo, the three-stars design still leaves me unsure or ambivalent.

23 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

And what does whether GamesBids is a social or a news forum (I’d just say its a site for fans of the Olympics to exchange news and views) have to do with the notion that if you don’t have anything new to say, there’s no reason to post?

In a company cafeteria, do colleagues/co-workers or guests/visitors necessarily have anything to talk with one another either?

How about a family Thanksgiving dinner? When there's an awkward pause and conversation has sort of dried up? I guess that requires relatives/cousins/in-laws/friends and the neighbors invited from next door should get up and go home?

if GB were being posted to by hundreds of people per day, and it was hard keeping track of everyone's comments and conversations, then I could understand why various users might become resentful of the board becoming too busy or hectic..

Oh come on! You’re being ridiculously obtuse. And if you were in a company cafeteria, you’d also tell your colleagues and friends to shut the f*ck up if they keep blathering on repeatedly about the same things all the time.

What is so difficult about the concept “if you’ve got nothing new to say, you don’t need to say anything”?

51968446154_a89f650bbc_z.jpg

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

By inserting that video, I was trying to show how one of the premier events of an Olympics, by not having a SRO stadium, really deflates the atmosphere of a games. That's true of public events in general.

But since my focusing on "ceremonies" for the past few months has given the impression that I rank that as the main influencer of the tone of a games, I wanted to show how attendance really is the ultimate barometer of the success or lack of big success of an Olympics.

There are a lot of moving parts, however. The top rating of the 1996 games - in terms of having the largest attendance in Olympics history - nonetheless didn't necessarily offset its weakness in 1 of the 3 major categories.

If 1996 had turned out being more like 2016, then it would be in similar company.

As for 2028, I've watched videos of the way the 1932 games were treated. Back then, modern media, social media and easy communication didn't exist. Publicity mills that we take for granted in today's high-tech world didn't exist either. Yet some of the same buzz evident in most summer games for over 70 years still cropped up in 1932.

What video?  The only video you posted is about the mascot.  Nothing relating to attendance in 2016.

You really need to get over yourself.  You're in a forum surrounded by people who have been following the Olympics and many of their intricacies for years.  It's really not necessary to get so wrapped up in your own thought process that you're treating these forums like a guest lecture at a university.  Especially when the lecturer admits he's not as familiar with the course material as the people he's giving his Powerpoint presentation to.  But I digress.

Los Angeles has a much more solid history in terms of attendance than Atlanta does, so there's little reason to use it as a basis of comparison for anything.  The local teams in LA offer up how much of a draw they are (by comparison, teams in Atlanta have often had trouble drawing large crowd even when they're doing well).  If you consider this to be an area of importance, they're already ahead of the game IMO

• Like 1

^ I posted a video of one of the finals of track in 2016. There were noticeable sections of the stadium without spectators. Nothing ruins the synergy of an event - Olympics included - than that. But that post and video mysteriously disappeared. GB gremlins, perhaps.

This thread is supposedly about the topic of "2028 Olympics."

Conversations about TOS or the idiosyncrasies of forumers may interest some users, but that subject now seems even more worn out than my posting about the importance of choirs and how flagpoles should be arranged at openings and closings.

16 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

You're in a forum surrounded by people who have been following the Olympics and many of their intricacies for years.

Regrettably, that subject doesn't attract all that many people. At least the parts of "Olympics" (such as "2028 Ceremonies") i originally was focusing on. The thread for that had been ignored for over 2 years until earlier around January.

^ I posted a video of one of the finals of track in 2016. There were noticeable sections of the stadium without spectators. Nothing ruins the synergy of an event - Olympics included - than that. But that post and video mysteriously disappeared. GB gremlins, perhaps.

This thread is supposedly about the topic of "2028 Olympics."

Conversations about TOS or the idiosyncrasies of forumers may interest some users, but that subject now seems even more worn out than my posting about the importance of choirs and how flagpoles should be arranged at openings and closings.

Yes, clearly you have moved on to matters of attendance and seem to think a video of a track final in 2016 is relevant to the topic of 2028 Olympics.  If it was a video of a track final in 1984, I could see where the relevance would be.  2016, not so much.

Regrettably, that subject doesn't attract all that many people. At least the parts of "Olympics" (such as "2028 Ceremonies") i originally was focusing on. The thread for that had been ignored for over 2 years until earlier around January.

This is an event that is still more than 6 years off.  There hasn't been that much to talk about over the past 2 years.  When we get closer to the LA Olympics, there will be more people attracted to the subject.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://la28.org/en/newsroom/LA28-Introduces-Youth-Council.html

LA28 Introduces Youth Council

The LA28 Olympic and Paralympic Games will represent Los Angeles by leveraging the strength of our community to design a Games we all want to be a part of.

Everyone is invited into the LA28 story and, with that in mind, the Games have created the LA28 Youth Council, a volunteer advisory group of young Angelenos ages 18-24.

Repping communities from South LA through the San Fernando Valley to the San Gabriel Valley and Long Beach, LA28's Youth Council brings together a diverse group of young people from across the region to discuss topics critical to hosting the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Los Angeles including environmental impact, accessibility and inclusion.

LA28 launched its inaugural Youth Council in 2021, which included 13 young Angelenos nominated by community-based organizations like the Little Tokyo Service Center, TreePeople, Inner City Youth Orchestra, Leadership Long Beach, KEEN LA and Heal the Bay.

Really cool initiative by LA28

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1121814/los-angeles-2028-annual-report-olympics

Los Angeles 2028 highlight financial reserves and Games agreement in annual report

Los Angeles 2028 has said it is "well on track" to delivering the Olympic and Paralympic Games as the Organising Committee submitted its annual report to the City of Los Angeles.

"Operating reserves remain healthy due to a combination of the International Olympic Committee’s quarterly payments ($9 million) for a total of $36 million in 2021, as well as a substantial reduction or deferral of planned contractual, administrative, and travel spending.

"In 2021, LA28 entered into key commercial agreements including partnerships with Salesforce, Comcast, and Deloitte, and a hospitality service agreement with On Location.

"The 2028 Games Budget remains consistent with the prior reported budget totalling $6,884 billion."

The report said it reiterated the commitment to provide $160 million (£123 million/€148 million) in funding to support youth sport participation.

A total of $9.6 million (£7.3 million/€8.8 million) was committed to the 2021 to 2022 youth sports plan, with the remainder granted in subsequent cycles.

The Organising Committee reported a deficit of $33.9 million (£26 million/€31 million) in 2021, with the net deficit standing at $74.4 million (£57 million/€69 million) on December 31 in 2021.

The organisation’s cash balance stood at $59 million (£45 million/€54 million).

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is providing an initial $180 million (£138 million/€166 million) to Los Angeles 2028, comprising of quarterly instalments of $9 million (£6.9 million/€8.3 million) over a five-year period starting in 2018.

The figure forms part of the IOC’s contribution to the Organising Committee through television revenues for the Games.

Los Angeles 2028 is seeking $2.5 billion (£1.9 billion/€2.2 billion) in sponsorship revenue for the Games.

Commercial agreements have been reached with brands such as telecommunications firm Comcast, financial and consultancy company Deloitte and software enterprise Salesforce.

On 3/28/2022 at 2:51 PM, Olympics2028 said:

The LA Coliseum is in generally one of the most shabby urban areas of any Olympic games held over the past 90-plus years. Exposition Park will be supposedly improved over the next few years, but the neighborhood overall is not Grade A.

But for the specific role of "Ceremonies," the Coliseum to me fits better for the purpose of "ceremony" than some hermetically enclosed, multi-billion-dollar stadium does. Whether a fancy So-Fi or the sleek Calavantra stadium in 2004, etc, the funky charm of a nearly 100-year-old stadium is my first preference.

I agree.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2022 at 12:09 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

The 2 of you are more in love with an old building than the LIMITLESS possibilities a new, state-of-the-art venue can bring to a stand-out Opening Ceremony.  :rolleyes:

SoFi will be no less "been there, done that" than the stadiums used in 2008 or 2012 were. Or 2020/2021.

However, for a summer games, it will be the first time an Olympic opening/closing is held in a totally roofed-over building. The only feature that makes SoFi a stadium that can be described as state-of-the-art is its huge overhanging monitor or message board. But for an Olympics ceremony, that will come off as a clunky distraction.