The presentation done for the opening ceremony of that tunnel in Switzerland probably was okayed by various top officials. By an assortment of leading people in culture-politics, government/corporations.

Incidentally, the IOC is based in Lausanne, Switzerland. So they likely rub shoulders on a regular basis with many of those leading people.

If a non-Olympics viewer read my post above, they'd assume I was being totally sarcastic. That my suggestion in real life would be treated as totally ludicrous. Regrettably, it wouldn't.

Fart sounds and "F" bombs at the Olympics are now same 'ol, same 'ol.

Producers of Olympic openings and closings now need to ramp up to a level beyond that of the tunnel ceremony. Total nudity and re-creations of scenes from adult movies are the next frontier for the IOC and OOCs.

A lot of sexy fun is in everyone's future. A good time will be had by all.

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

If the 2028 OOC commissions a production company that's into people dressed like space aliens, segments of har-de-har-ha humor and a lot of "huh?!" routines in general, they'll deserve being slapped upside their heads.

I mean, LA already did an alien / UFO segment, in 1984...

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

BTW, I consider 2012 to have already done a "Hollywood" theme. Yes, London and the UK aren't LA and the US. But a show-biz-movie-pop-music formula was pretty much the main part of 2012. No need to do it again. 

If "show-biz-movie-pop-music formula" shouldn't be done again after happening once in 2012, then by that logic then we should absolutely not revisit the way ceremonies were done every time since before 1980.

-----

All ceremonies from Sydney to Rio have been very very popular with spectators and TV audiences. There's no real reason to go back.

You should see the reactions of those who saw the original Tokyo 2020 Opening Ceremony plan. The plan was very modern, technologically advanced, etc., basically the complete opposite of Tokyo 1964. Most, if not all, absolutely loved it and lamented the fact that TOCOG ended up going with other plans.

Plans like these, are what OOCs should be (and are) looking for. Because that's what people these days want and enjoy.

(you can see the original Tokyo 2020 plan here)

7 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Producers of Olympic openings and closings now need to ramp up to a level beyond that of the tunnel ceremony. Total nudity and re-creations of scenes from adult movies are the next frontier for the IOC and OOCs.

A lot of sexy fun is in everyone's future. A good time will be had by all.

You're just being ridiculous at this point. We get it, you dislike the recent ceremonies, no need to go extreme...

4 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I admit I'm in the min

Yep, look at how artsy this was. It was a ceremony held in 2016 for the opening of a tunnel in Europe. Holy moly.

Discovering contemporary dance already?, yeah... we just saw it in atlanta, sidney, and torino, and beijing, and vancouver, and london, and sochi, and rio, and pyeongchang, and tokyo... its not something new for ceremonies, or that was your point?, srry I didn't really understood the point of the answer. I mean dance is the best way to join visual effects with a musical theme, and contemporary dance is very effective in a theatrical context like an opening ceremony, rio had the favela segment, tokyo for some strange reason had tap, beijing had the ink segment, not really something never tried before. But considering your skepticism to show modern arts in an international event, you would probably want performances to be limited only to ballroom dances in order to not get too far from good ol olympic values.

1 hour ago, Bear said:

All ceremonies from Sydney to Rio have been very very popular with spectators and TV audiences. There's no real reason to go back.

You may be correct. But what are your claims based upon? TV ratings for 2016 were lower than for 2012. The ratings for 2020/2021 were lower than for 2016. But I get that. An event affected by the pandemic turned off people. People want to be around other people, even if it's virtual. So watching empty, quiet facilities where athletes are competing is a huge buzz kill.

But in 2012, after those Olympics opened, the chatter was that venues had a lot of empty seats. Not people there via television but spectators as actual live humans. 

Yea, most of those were seats that belonged to corporate buyers and members of the Olympic family. So the tickets were for people out possibly watching other Olympic events. Or maybe they momentarily visiting friends or relatives in London.

I still theorize a percentage of those people were so impressed by the opening ceremony, they forgot the summer games were occurring.  

But the 2012 Olympics did apparently attract more viewers than any other Olympics in TV history. So, yep, there is that.

But in various ways, I still didn't like those games. But I admit my opinion doesn't reflect those of X percentage of people. It is what it is.

1 hour ago, Bear said:

You're just being ridiculous at this point. We get it, you dislike the recent ceremonies, no need to go extreme...

Did you watch the videos of the opening ceremony done for the tunnel in Switzerland?

Okay, that's not an Olympics, but a huge public-works project. Although the summer (and winter) games sometimes are no less of a huge public-works project.

The extreme is already happening. The ridiculous is already occurring.

I didn't have anything to do with what top officials in Switzerland/Europe apparently favored - or didn't mind - for the tunnel's official opening presentation.

By the way, the IOC is based in Switzerland. So it's not like officials in that organization aren't somewhat familiar with what the producer of that tunnel's ceremony was all about. That event wasn't necessarily creatively, conceptually alien to the movers and shakers throughout Europe and elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

But considering your skepticism to show modern arts in an international event, you would probably want performances to be limited only to ballroom dances in order to not get too far from good ol olympic values.

Did you watch the video I posted, the one of the ceremony in 2016 for the  new tunnel in Switzerland? If so, what was your opinion of it?

You focus on my opinion. What's your opinion?

5 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

I've not seen most parts of Olympic openings and closings for years. I watched a bit more of the 2012 ceremonies because of where those games were held. I admit to being both disappointed and even exasperated by what I watched. 

I think you're underestimating the intelligence of today's viewers. Bad satire, overdone mockery, clumsy formats, lame routines and weird Cirque-de-Soleilzed ideas are not necessarily all that appealing to people in the age of iphones, micro breweries and skinny jeans. To some, yea. But to many? 

If I'm in the minority, however, so be it.

You're in the minority.  And trust me, I'm not underestimating their intelligence.  We get it, you have ideas that go against the norm and hope that the LA opening ceremony goes in that direction.  But these posts are turning increasingly sardonic and ridiculous.  Pretty sure there's some sort of middle ground between a choir and a giant toilet.  I'm confident they'll manage to find it and put on a great show

44 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

But in 2012, after those Olympics opened, the chatter was that venues had a lot of empty seats. Not people there via television but spectators as actual live humans. 

Yea, most of those were seats that belonged to corporate buyers and members of the Olympic family. So the tickets were for people out possibly watching other Olympic events. Or maybe they momentarily visiting friends or relatives in London.

I still theorize a percentage of those people were so impressed by the opening ceremony, they forgot the summer games were occurring.  

No offense but this is literally one of the most ridiculous claims I have ever heard. Like seriously, who sees the Olympic Rings in the air, thousands of Athletes marching around the stadium, hears Seb Coe's and Rogge's speeches, sees the Olympic Flag being raised, and sees the Olympic Cauldron be lit in the middle of the stadium, and forgets that the Olympic Games are being held?

47 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

The extreme is already happening. The ridiculous is already occurring.

Clearly not, because I don't see any women playing or whatever cursed thing it is that they are doing in the toilet, like you suggest the IOC might even consider...

48 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I didn't have anything to do with what top officials in Switzerland/Europe apparently favored - or didn't mind - for the tunnel's official opening presentation.

By the way, the IOC is based in Switzerland. So it's not like officials in that organization aren't somewhat familiar with what the producer of that tunnel's ceremony was all about. That event wasn't necessarily creatively, conceptually alien to the movers and shakers throughout Europe and elsewhere.

The IOC does not even participate in the planning of the ceremonies, the only thing they do is approve or reject the final plan that is presented to them.

57 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

You may be correct. But what are your claims based upon? TV ratings for 2016 were lower than for 2012. The ratings for 2020/2021 were lower than for 2016. But I get that. An event affected by the pandemic turned off people. People want to be around other people, even if it's virtual. So watching empty, quiet facilities where athletes are competing is a huge buzz kill.

For London 2012: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics_opening_ceremony#Reception (specifically everything from the Reception section to the Legacy section)

Details on the other Games' ceremonies aren't as concentrated, but it's pretty easy to check, whether it's on the comments of a YouTube upload of the ceremony, on social media, news article reviews, etc.

21 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

We get it, you have ideas that go against the norm and hope that the LA opening ceremony goes in that direction.  But these posts are turning increasingly sardonic and ridiculous.  Pretty sure there's some sort of middle ground between a choir and a giant toilet.  I'm confident they'll manage to find it and put on a great show

I'm putting my opinion out there. What's your opinion? What do you like? What do you not like?

What did you think about 2016, 2012, 2008, 1996, etc?

Regardless of what I like or don't like, I'm sure a lot of what Solomon Asch exists out there, among many people. People in various fields, various professions, various activities. 

This video is from just a few days ago. I watched parts of it. I'm not a big follower of Cirque Du Soleil. However, I went to a show of theirs several years ago.  Yea, it was well done. For what it was, I had no problem with it.

But the general look or theme of them for some reason has caught on with many producers-employees in Olympic games' presentations. I call it the space-alien format from Planet Fashion Designer. The look depends on the use of a lot of fabric, cloth turned into bizarre shapes, colors and concepts.

Why that is so popular, I'm not sure.  Maybe some of what Asch detected in group behavior has affected the Olympic games? 

Cirque Du Soleil is a format that goes back a few decades. Sure, the pandemic has hurt them a lot. But I read their signature routine was increasingly becoming a case of "been there, done that."

Olympic games have overused the cirque-du-soleil concept too. 

Time for a change, 2028 OOC.

1 minute ago, Bear said:

Clearly not, because I don't see any women playing or whatever cursed thing it is that they are doing in the toilet, like you suggest the IOC might even consider...

Did you watch the video of the ceremony for the opening of the tunnel in Switzerland? Do you think the IOC might give serious thought to doing something like that?

1 minute ago, Olympics2028 said:

Did you watch the video of the ceremony for the opening of the tunnel in Switzerland? Do you think the IOC might give serious thought to doing something like that?

Did you read the part where I said the IOC does not participate in the Ceremony planning process?

I saw the tunnel video... if you're referring to the workers going half naked, well sorry to disappoint but the Krasnoyarsk 2019 Winter Universiade Opening Ceremony already did that LOL

(If you're not familiar with the Universiade, it's basically the Olympics but for university students.)

18 minutes ago, Bear said:

Did you read the part where I said the IOC does not participate in the Ceremony planning process?

Then how about an Olympic organizing committee?

Speaking of which, I notice the sales-marketing department of the 2028 OOC is resulting in a "#Follow The Sun" ad to this website. I notice that OOC is also already selling on their own website merchandise themed to 2028.

Since they're already active in those two areas, I hope they'll put a lot of thought into the symbolic start and end of a summer games.

Sorry, but when people, such as in this forum, say that Olympic ceremonies of the past few decades are good - and why tinker with success - I can't help but think of psychologist Solomon Asch's study. The one where he detected the dynamics behind the reason that people get caught up in the "Emperor Has New Clothes."       

22 minutes ago, Bear said:

I saw the tunnel video... if you're referring to the workers going half naked, well sorry to disappoint but the Krasnoyarsk 2019 Winter Universiade Opening Ceremony already did that LOL

(If you're not familiar with the Universiade, it's basically the Olympics but for university students.)

The dress or undress of the performers in that ceremony for the tunnel was the least of the many reasons it was so weird, freaky and wacky.  And totally "Huh?!" and inappropriate. Yea, it's way more bizarre than any Olympics opening or closing has been. But who's to say some OOC won't show really poor judgment in the next several years or decades?

If the production in the video you posted were the one done instead in Switzerland in 2016, that would have made sense. It would have fit the theme. 

7 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Speaking of which, I notice the sales-marketing department of the 2028 OOC is resulting in a "#Follow The Sun" ad to this website. I notice that OOC is also already selling on their own website merchandise themed to 2028.

That's not an ad, it's a custom banner I myself made to put as my forum signature cause I'm happy LA is hosting the Olympics and Paralympics haha

7 minutes ago, Bear said:

That's not an ad, it's a custom banner I myself made to put as my forum signature cause I'm happy LA is hosting the Olympics and Paralympics haha

LOL. I notice it wasn't there after logging off. Now I can see it's in your tagline. My bad. lol.

But the 2028 website already does have a merchandizing section:

https://www.la28shop.org

I can't find a similar link at the 2024's site:

https://www.paris2024.org/en/

6 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

But the 2028 website already does have a merchandizing section:

https://www.la28shop.org

I can't find a similar link at the 2024's site:

https://www.paris2024.org/en/

The Paris 2024 shop is https://shop.olympics.com/en/

Do be advised though, your IP has to be from the EU in order to access the Paris merch. If you're accessing it from the US, then it redirects to the American version of the website, which only carries LA28 merch

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

I'm putting my opinion out there. What's your opinion? What do you like? What do you not like?

What did you think about 2016, 2012, 2008, 1996, etc?

Regardless of what I like or don't like, I'm sure a lot of what Solomon Asch exists out there, among many people. People in various fields, various professions, various activities. 

This video is from just a few days ago. I watched parts of it. I'm not a big follower of Cirque Du Soleil. However, I went to a show of theirs several years ago.  Yea, it was well done. For what it was, I had no problem with it.

But the general look or theme of them for some reason has caught on with many producers-employees in Olympic games' presentations. I call it the space-alien format from Planet Fashion Designer. The look depends on the use of a lot of fabric, cloth turned into bizarre shapes, colors and concepts.

Why that is so popular, I'm not sure.  Maybe some of what Asch detected in group behavior has affected the Olympic games? 

Cirque Du Soleil is a format that goes back a few decades. Sure, the pandemic has hurt them a lot. But I read their signature routine was increasingly becoming a case of "been there, done that."

Olympic games have overused the cirque-du-soleil concept too. 

Time for a change, 2028 OOC.

Yes, that's your opinion.  And that many games ceremony producers seem to be thinking somewhat the same way, maybe there's a reason for that and it's not some psychology trick that everyone just agrees with each other.  Especially in this forum where I can promise you a lot of people have much stronger opinions than I do about the ceremonies. 

You feel a new direction is need.  We get that (in spite of your heavy doses of sarcasm and strawman examples of "hey, they would definitely put this in the Olympics."  But once again, maybe you're not the target audience for the ceremonies.  Maybe the people actually working on these things have a slightly better basis for what sells.  Make no mistake, the ceremonies are about selling themselves.  And doing so in the moment.  If being a little theatrical or in your mind - ridiculous - meets that goal, mission accomplished.  Understated and protocol-ish isn't going to draw in a younger audience that consumes a lot more media on their mobile devices rather than to sit down for a 3 hour show.

As for my opinions?  Plenty of scenes I can recall and will remember the rest of my life, even if I didn't experience the earlier ones first hand.  Rocket man and the card stunt from LA.  "Can't You Feel It" from Calgary.  Antonio Rebollo and the flaming arrow from Barcelona.  The ski jump entrance into the stadium in Lillehammer.  Muhammad Ali appearing in Atlanta.  The hero girl and Cathy Freeman from Sydney.  The WTC flag, "Call of the Champions," and the 1980 hockey team from Salt Lake.  The water elements and history bits from Athens.  The Chinese drummers in Beijing.  The cauldron mishap in Vancouver.  The NHS segment in London and then the rock concert that was the closing ceremony (it's the British, that's exactly what it should have been).  The failed Olympic rings in Sochi.  And I'll definitely remember the pictogram segment from Tokyo for a long while.  That probably won't be something as timeless as we've seen in ceremonies past, but we can look back on that 50 years from now and get a sense of the time it came from.

You know what the thing is about all of those moments?  I didn't need a video to recall any of them.  They're all etched in my memory.  Every ceremony, especially the opening ceremony (if you ask me what I remember from the closing, it's more likely to be NBC's closing credits montage than anything), has some of those indelible moments.  These days, that's exactly what the producers are looking for.  For viewers and especially social media to get those things to trend.  I know that's something of a sad state of media consumption in the 21st century, but that's the world we live in.

So again, you entered this forum and this thread under the guise of "I have ideas I hope LA2028 sees."  Then when you get pushback, you devolve into ridiculousness.  If the audience for the Olympics was 3 billion of you, you'd have a more compelling case.  It's not.  Know your audience.  That's who the ceremony folks are producing their show for.  And they probably have some clue what they're doing rather than to believe this is all some sort of lame psychological ploy that everyone has gotten sucked in by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bear, I should have known that the IOC is a mass-marketing entity, so all its OOCs will run along the same basis and follow the same template. I still think that will flow over into the general format of ceremonies. I know the IOC's charter says that host cities should have a theme that tells about themselves and the countries they're a part of.

I hope the 2028 OOC throws most of that out the window and has a theme that's way more international or universal. After all, LA hosted in 1984, and the US - via Atlanta - hosted in 1996. So no need to go down that same road again.

Incidentally, I read that the release of pigeons, following the bird-in-cauldron incident in Seoul, was discontinued after 1988. But I noticed the 1992 ceremony did include a release of birds. I think 2028 should bring back that format. Fake birds or children carrying around bird-type objects don't cut it any longer.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

So again, you entered this forum and this thread under the guise of "I have ideas I hope LA2028 sees."  Then when you get pushback, you devolve into ridiculousness.  If the audience for the Olympics was 3 billion of you, you'd have a more compelling case.  It's not.  Know your audience.  That's who the ceremony folks are producing their show for.  And they probably have some clue what they're doing rather than to believe this is all some sort of lame psychological ploy that everyone has gotten sucked in by.

Pushback devolves into ridiculousness? The ceremony in Switzerland really did happen.

Okay, the idea of giant toilets as a theme for the 2028 opening was pure sarcasm. But the fact that Mr Bean in 2012 did play a loud fart sound on his keyboard doesn't make the notion of frat-house hijinks necessarily all that ridiculous.

As for Cirque-du-Soleil goofiness at an Olympics ceremony? It possibly made its premier or first major splash in 1992. I don't know about 1988, however. 

There was a sea of colored fabric in another segment at that game's opening, where objects representing ships went into battle with Mad-Max-type warriors. Or whatever. 

Textile/fabric manufacturers probably have been Olympic organizing committees biggest fans for decades.

9 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

This Gotthard ceremony is some Parisian fashion runway-wannabee choreographer who was obviously passed over for a real Chanel or Balenciaga assignment.  Notice how excited and awake those European technocrats were . . . . not.  God, how do they put on this sort of garbage!! 

^ Because I've been going on about Olympic ceremonies - some bad, some good - yadda-yadda, I confess to never watched large portions of most of them. Although I've seen snippets of 1992 before, that's the first time I've seen the glass box convert into something that's supposed to be a ship with oars. But the details involving the participants dressed like warriors from the land of Mad Max? The person representing the bloodied-up body hanging by a rope? Jeez, lol.

Okay, here's my brief synopsis:

9 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Pushback devolves into ridiculousness? The ceremony in Switzerland really did happen.

Okay, the idea of giant toilets as a theme for the 2028 opening was pure sarcasm. But the fact that Mr Bean in 2012 did play a loud fart sound on his keyboard doesn't make the notion of frat-house hijinks necessarily all that ridiculous.

As for Cirque-du-Soleil goofiness at an Olympics ceremony? It possibly made its premier or first major splash in 1992. I don't know about 1988, however. 

There was a sea of colored fabric in another segment at that game's opening, where objects representing ships went into battle with Mad-Max-type warriors. Or whatever. 

Textile/fabric manufacturers probably have been Olympic organizing committees biggest fans for decades.

Wait, the giant toilet thing was sarcasm?  Holy cow, why didn't you tell us!  I thought you mean that seriously!

Yes, that's the ridiculousness I'm talking about.  Even if it was pure sarcasm.  

^ This thread would be more interesting if users talked about the subject of the 2028 games instead of mainly the opinions of one another. I'm shooting the breeze from A to Z. I write what I like or don't like about Topic A, Topic B, Topic C.

For instance, I'll post here that the 2028 OOC can salute past OOCs and their ceremony's producers by highlighting their love of the look of Cirque-du-Soleil: Fabric, lots of fabric, fabric in wild shapes and crazy colors:

Okay, that's sarcasm, but after watching more of the 1992 opening last night, whoa. 

The Cirque-du-Soleilzed format at Olympic games is even more excessive than I realized and goes back even more years.

9 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

^ This thread would be more interesting if users talked about the subject of the 2028 games instead of mainly the opinions of one another. I'm shooting the breeze from A to Z. I write what I like or don't like about Topic A, Topic B, Topic C.

For instance, I'll post here that the 2028 OOC can salute past OOCs and their ceremony's producers by highlighting their love of the look of Cirque-du-Soleil: Fabric, lots of fabric, fabric in wild shapes and crazy colors:

Okay, that's sarcasm, but after watching more of the 1992 opening last night, whoa. 

The Cirque-du-Soleilzed format at Olympic games is even more excessive than I realized and goes back even more years.

Yeah, we see that.  But I also know from experience -- having worked with TWO Organizing Committees and Cermeonies that efforts such as yours -- and this is a free site -- are, as I wrote earlier; are ULTIMATELY useless and a waste of my and other people's time.  Plus, the way you present your ideas, the sheer volume and the all-over-the-map way you post it, is a real turn-off -- hence, my negative reactions to you.  Short, sweet and succinct is better.  So my time and eyesight aren't wasted either.