34 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

I mean Tokyo 2020 lack of spectators was just a casualty of the pandemic, no OOC is stupid enough to purposely build an stadium to not have spectators in it. And in 2nd place, the infrastructure built for the 2020 olympics wasn't just planned for the 2 weeks, it's purpose was redeveloping the already aged japan sporting infrastructure. The old stadium, while iconic, was already old so the olympics were more like an excuse, than a purpose for building a new one.

I did read that Tokyo's National Stadium from 1964 didn't meet modern earthquake codes, so I didn't totally discount what they did. But the 1984 games used the LA Coliseum, and that structure sure as hell was no more earthquake resistant than the 1964 stadium was.

That's why I suspect the 2020 OOC was motivated mainly by "Bigger, Hipper, Newer" as the current motto of the Olympics instead of "Citius, Altius, Fortius."

Regardless, the 1964 stadium to me was a classic. I loved its retro-looking concrete-box scoreboard with 3 tall flag poles on top. The fact the rim of the stadium could also display banners on flagstaffs was a more big-time or festive format too. By contrast, flags in the stadiums for 2012 or 2021, etc, have to be strung up like clothes drying on a clothesline.

43 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Interesting article. Rowing is a generally obscure sport, so its requirements were unknown to me. The article made me look up images of rowing in 1932 and 1984. The last course was inland Southern California. That area becomes very warm during the summer. So a location nearer the coast, although apparently technically not ideal for rowing competition, will be probably better weather-wise. 

But the 1984 games were even more spread out than apparently the 2028 Olympics will be. But who knows what will happen between now and then? 

The 2028 OOC will face a variety of challenges if natural or manmade problems occur before July 2028. They include making bad decisions or coming up with wacky ideas.

It’s a done deal.

It’s now official and approved by World Rowing, the International Olympic Committee and the LA2028 Organising Committee that the Olympic Rowing competition will be held at Long Beach at the same rowing venue which hosted the 1932 Games - but the rowing course is confirmed as being 500 metres shorter just for these Games.

The 1932 Rowing course at Long Beach was the standard Olympic course length of 2000 metres, as was the 1984 competition at Lake Casitas.

But we are now in the New Norm era of the Olympic Games which has flipped everything on it’s head to reduce costs and use existing facilities if at all possible.  Where new venues and new buildings are planned, bidders for the Olympics must demonstrate to the IOC post-Games legacy use of that new venue.

So, the 1984 rowing venue Lake Casitas, a man-made lake,  is too far out being over 90 miles away and also now has unstable water levels due to drought. 

Lake Perris was considered for 2028 but is also a long way away at 80 miles plus. It would require considerable extra expense of building a brand new satellite athletes village.  But the LA 2028 organisers could not justify the cost and legacy use of sych new buildings - and the IOC agreed.

So this is where we come to Long Beach, now confirmed and approved as the 2028 Olympic rowing venue.

• as a one-off in 2028, World Rowing and the IOC have approved the shorter Olympic Rowing Coursre of 1,500 metres at the Long Beach venue.
  • Long Beach is much closer and more convenient for everyone,
  • athletes can stay in the main LA Olympic Village and no extra cost of athletes accommodation at Lake Perris.

Tokyo 2020 rowing events were held over 2000 metres as will Paris 2024 and Brisbane 2032.

Here is the Olympic Rowing Venue at Long Beach as it looks today, and you can see the bridge which has led to the now approved shortened rowing course for the LA2028 Games.

ny2gATE.jpg

feHNuQ0.jpg

J1iRJVC.jpg

1 hour ago, AustralianFan said:

But we are now in the New Norm era of the Olympic Games which has flipped everything on it’s head to reduce costs and use existing facilities if at all possible.  Where new venues and new buildings are planned, bidders for the Olympics must demonstrate to the IOC post-Games legacy use of that new venue.

I prefer that philosophy. The past few summer games' budgets have grown so bloated, they've made the Olympics more of a social/athletic nuisance than a social/athletic necessity.

If the two-week event were also a gathering of the world's best doctors, scientists, engineers, accountants, architects, botanists, researchers, physicists, artists/actors/musicians, chemists, astronomers, etc, then - but only then - it might be worth the price tag. 

Because of your post, I looked up what the 2020/2021 games in the rowing category were like. Look at how the Tokyo OOC took the time to set up the venue, with grandstands, flags and scaffolding/signage.

I'm still bothered by what happened a few months ago. The controversies with health, politics and economics are like a "WTF?!" Olympics ceremony.

The historic 1964 Olympics National Stadium - which I'm still irritated was torn down - was further victimized by the OOC spending too much money and making poor decisions.

I was thinking the uniforms in 2012 that came with light-bulb-hat hats were for the placard bearers. But they were for other participants. The 2012 placard bearers were instead holding up some spindly metal contraption.

The placard bearers in 2016 were even worse. They instead were riding around in tricycles that came with a rear basket full of junk from Rio's Dollar Tree store. LOL. SMH.

All of that duplicated over 100 times for each participating nation adds up to a lot of extra time and money.

As for 2020/2021 versus 1964? Tokyo's first summer games followed a more serious format. Their placard bearers didn't look like tourists visiting Guam or Hawaii straight out of a comic book. SMH. LOL.

2028 OOC, you better learn to: "Just say no."

np_file_8726.jpeg

Japan Times

Eritrea_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_Para

Wikipedia

Lea+T+-+Opening+.jpg

Rhonda's Escape

TOpening-Ceremony-Placard--003.jpg?width=

The Guardian

51 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I was thinking the uniforms in 2012 that came with light-bulb-hat hats were for the placard bearers. But they were for other participants. The 2012 placard bearers were instead holding up some spindly metal contraption.

The placard bearers in 2016 were even worse. They instead were riding around in tricycles that came with a rear basket full of junk from Rio's Dollar Tree store. LOL. SMH.

All of that duplicated over 100 times for each participating nation adds up to a lot of extra time and money.

As for 2020/2021 versus 1964? Tokyo's first summer games followed a more serious format. Their placard bearers didn't look like tourists visiting Guam or Hawaii straight out of a comic book. SMH. LOL.

np_file_8726.jpeg

Japan Times

Eritrea_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics_Para

Wikipedia

Lea+T+-+Opening+.jpg

Rhonda's Escape

TOpening-Ceremony-Placard--003.jpg?width=

The Guardian

Wow, you're being so conservative, olympics aren't a merely sporting event anymore as they were in 1964, the world has gone through too much, so do the games opening ceremonies. Don't just focus on the dresses, focus on the message, tokyo 2020 werent tourist, they were honoring japanese manga, rio 2016 was simbolizing nature, and london 2012 was honouring british diversity. Also I belive that if there is one place were the countries can show off themselves to the world is the olympic ceremonies. That's why no one praises tokyo 2020 merely formal ceremony, cuz for watchers isn't interesting to see people in suits giving speeches about thing we don't really care, and instead praise london 2012 quirky and full of special effects ceremony, because watching the damn olympic rings coming out of the top of the stadium after a full industrial revolution with fireworks, a changing field and emerging towers happening in less than 15 minutes, really captivates more than a choir or people in suits.

25 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

Wow, you're being so conservative, olympics aren't a merely sporting event anymore as they were in 1964, the world has gone through too much, so do the games opening ceremonies. 

Not "merely sporting event" is part of the problem. 

The Olympics have instead become a platform for chambers of commerce working with real-estate interests, working with artistes into the strange and bizarre, working with an international body of hipster producers/planners, working with cultural trendsetters who are bored with anything that isn't super cool and isn't ideal for short-attention spans.

After 2012's opening, I recall going, huh, was that a ceremony for the Olympic games?

However, I saw a lot of social-media comments that were very positive and enthusiastic.  

Okay, I have an opinion, you have an opinion, other people have an opinion too.

Still, I felt the pro-2012-opening folks were telling me the emperor was wearing new clothes.

Yep, a lot of the following was due to corporate insiders and members of the so-called Olympic family having too many things going on at the same time. So they couldn't show up even if they wanted to.

But I still think some of this was because various people watched the opening of the 2012 games and thought the Olympics hadn't yet started. They instead believed a British pop-music concert, Mr Bean sitcom or James Bond tribute had occurred.

Yea, that's just my personal opinion. You have yours. 

The 2012 games did end up with very good attendance figures. So be it.

47 minutes ago, SportLightning said:

We have to wait and see what the Los Angeles 2028 ceremony costumes to look like.

It's December 2021.  The opening ceremony of the 2028 Olympics is over 2,400 days away.  Yes, we have to wait.  That Paris just announced their ceremony plans means we're probably 4 years away from hearing anything about LA

3 hours ago, Olympics2028 said:

Welcome to the 21st Century.  For better or worse, this represents what the Olympics are now and the audience they are trying to appeal to.  It's a ceremony, but it's supposed to be a celebration.  The hosts want it to be a spectacle, even if that means going overboard with the spending (yes, that needs to be reeled in)  It need not be formal.  Sure, things were more serious in 1964.  They weren't trying to impress a worldwide television audience or to generate buzz on social media.  If Twitter had been around then, I doubt we'd have seen too many comments along the lines of "look how serious and formal the Japanese are, I want to see more of that"

12 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Sure, things were more serious in 1964.  They weren't trying to impress a worldwide television audience or to generate buzz on social media.  If Twitter had been around then, I doubt we'd have seen too many comments along the lines of "look how serious and formal the Japanese are, I want to see more of that"

Either your definition of "serious" is narrower or different from mines or I'm misinterpreting what you're saying.

For instance, would you describe this moment as serious?:

That moment in 1996 was fairly serious. But the singer finished her tune with the cauldron still fully lit. Notice how many seconds go by without it finally being extinguished? The timing was off. But it was still a very serious segment.  However, at least the cauldron looked good. It was on top of what apparently was a firehouse training tower.

How would you describe this moment in 2000?:

It too was a very serious moment. A groundskeeper at the 2000 summer games apparently had a mental breakdown and crashed into the stage. The three people standing on it were left flying on their rear ends. That too was a very serious incident, nothing to laugh at.

Don't mistake the word "mishandled" for "serious." Or think that "sound judgment," "non-goofy" or "non-incompetent" somehow refers to serious.

For some reason, too many Olympic organizing committees (or the people they hire) for the past few decades like treating the summer games as though they're a joke. 

The 1965 Tokyo games may have been too serious, but their OOC at least didn't treat the Olympics like a joke.

The 2020 OOC spent way more money on their games, but they weren't as serious or formal as their predecessors were. So the 2020/2021 games did fit the tone of the times.

I wonder how the timing of the extinguishing of the 1964 cauldron went? Did the first summer games in Tokyo have to deal with a crazy, out-of-control stadium maintenance worker? 

The stadium that replaced the original one is much nicer. Although it's less serious, the cost to build it was not.

Olympic organizing committees could save a lot of time and money if they stopped visiting the bizarre alien planet of Cirque de Soleil. 

I don't know why this look and format has become so common and popular at Olympic ceremonies. But it has. Over the past several decades too. "Cirque de Soleil" is now too serious. It's too old hat.

Time for a change, 2028 OOC.

15 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

The 2020 OOC spent way more money on their games, but they weren't as serious or formal as their predecessors were. So the 2020/2021 games did fit the tone of the times.

I wonder how the timing of the extinguishing of the 1964 cauldron went? Did the first summer games in Tokyo have to deal with a crazy, out-of-control stadium maintenance worker? 

The stadium that replaced the original one is much nicer. Although it's less serious, the cost to build it was not.

The tone of the times when the 2020 Olympics were held (in 2021) were the middle of a once-in-a-century global pandemic.  We have no idea what their ceremonies would have looked like if not for COVID, so we need to forever treat nearly everything about these Games as an anomaly.  Which is a darn shame, because they could have and should have been highly celebratory and a wonderful moment for a city and a country.  And they were robbed of that by circumstances completely out of their control, which means it'll be at least another generation or 2 before they get to experience that again. 

Plus, we get it, you don't like the new stadium.  You're right, they didn't have to build a new venue and decided after the were awarded the Olympics to do so when they didn't really have to.  That stadium will hopefully stand for 50-60 years and will likely see plenty of use over its lifespan.  It's not like Stadium Australia served as host for the 2000 Olympics and then was never used after that.  And the old National Stadium was hardly some sort of Japanese icon.  If Rio had proposed to tear down Maracana and replace it rather than renovating it, then you'd have a point.  Not sure why you're still so worked up about it as if it's somehow personal to you.

I now regret using the word "serious" because for some reason you seem oddly fixated on it.  But if we're going to fixate on words, let's try this the other way around...

39 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

For some reason, too many Olympic organizing committees (or the people they hire) for the past few decades like treating the summer games as though they're a joke. 

The 1965 Tokyo games may have been too serious, but their OOC at least didn't treat the Olympics like a joke.

Tell us.. what about recent Olympic ceremonies is so much of a "joke" to you that you're pining for the nostalgia of the past and holding up 1964 as some sort of pinnacle of Olympic achievement?  Again, different world that we live in today.  Used to be that ceremonies were about the people in the stadium, not billions of people watching on television.  When Rafer Johnson was running up the steps in 1984 to light the cauldron, they weren't concerned about how people would react on social media, but that's going to increasingly be part of the thought process going forward when planning these things.  And you can be darn sure that when the flame is lit in 2028, it will be well past sunset because the IOC long ago determined that the visuals for the ceremonies are much better at night (although NBC will certainly have a say in the timing of everything)

We get it.. you have an old school mentality.  Nothing wrong with that.  You're right that the expenditures to host an Olympics are sometimes out of control and it'll be refreshing to see an Olympics in a city like LA that we know isn't going to over-do it (although keep in mind, they're still spending over a billion dollars in infrastructure just on the venues, including a $300 million temporary upgrade to the Coliseum). 

I don't know what their ceremonies will look like, but it's a given IMO they'll be tailored to try and stand out, not to the folks in the stadium, but to the billions watching around the world and commenting on social media.  If you find that concept to be something of a joke, that's your opinion, but too many folks out there see it differently and that's who the IOC is trying to appeal to.  Same reason why event like snowboarding big air and skateboarding park have made their way into the Olympics.

I respect the fact that you take this subject so seriously and you're definitely in the right place for that.  I definitely encourage you to try and make connections with anyone working for LA 2028 that could include you and your ideas in their planning.  Again though, understand your audience.  Know who is watching the Olympics in the year 2028 rather than to say that it should all be more like 1964

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

And the old National Stadium was hardly some sort of Japanese icon. 

Tell us.. what about recent Olympic ceremonies is so much of a "joke" to you that you're pining for the nostalgia of the past and holding up 1964 as some sort of pinnacle of Olympic achievement?  Again, different world that we live in today.  Used to be that ceremonies were about the people in the stadium, not billions of people watching on television.  When Rafer Johnson was running up the steps in 1984 to light the cauldron, they weren't concerned about how people would react on social media, but that's going to increasingly be part of the thought process going forward when planning these things.  And you can be darn sure that when the flame is lit in 2028, it will be well past sunset because the IOC long ago determined that the visuals for the ceremonies are much better at night (although NBC will certainly have a say in the timing of everything)

We get it.. you have an old school mentality.  Nothing wrong with that.  You're right that the expenditures to host an Olympics are sometimes out of control and it'll be refreshing to see an Olympics in a city like LA that we know isn't going to over-do it (although keep in mind, they're still spending over a billion dollars in infrastructure just on the venues, including a $300 million temporary upgrade to the Coliseum). 

I respect the fact that you take this subject so seriously and you're definitely in the right place for that.  I definitely encourage you to try and make connections with anyone working for LA 2028 that could include you and your ideas in their planning.  Again though, understand your audience.  Know who is watching the Olympics in the year 2028 rather than to say that it should all be more like 1964

Did you watch some of the videos I posted above? 

People in Tokyo didn't see the 1964 stadium as an icon? If so, it's surprising the owner bothered to have tours of it before it was finally demolished.

If I'm being sarcastic about the word "serious," you in turn are making ideas along the lines of old versus new, old media versus new media, traditional versus the avant garde, etc, way more complicated than they are. Or you're making human ideas of skill and creativity as somehow dependent on the internet, cell phones, high tech, etc. 

I was thinking of how in the 1930s, when technology and the media were very different from the way they are, the "Olympics" still had a buzz about it. In LA and elsewhere. People in California were limited in communications back when the 1932 games occurred. Yet the Olympics still apparently generated a lot of interest and enthusiasm in various people.

I'd have more patience in watching a full broadcast of this almost 60 years later versus most of the overproduced, overpriced, overly long Cirque-de-Soleil-ized stuff of today's IOC and OOCs.

I recall reading that the 1964 opening had a moment when all the flags in the stadium were raised at the same time. That wouldn't be as exciting as watching people dressed like space aliens or flying around on guidewire. But it would have a ceremonial dignity about it lacking in today's selfie culture.

11 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

People in Tokyo didn't see the 1964 stadium as an icon? If so, it's surprising the owner bothered to have tours of it before it was finally demolished.

If I'm being sarcastic about the word "serious," you in turn are making ideas along the lines of old versus new, old media versus new media, traditional versus the avant garde, etc, way more complicated than they are. Or you're making human ideas of skill and creativity as somehow dependent on the internet, cell phones, high tech, etc. 

I was thinking of how in the 1930s, when technology and the media were very different from the way they are, the "Olympics" still had a buzz about it. In LA and elsewhere. People in California were limited in communications back when the 1932 games occurred. Yet the Olympics still apparently generated a lot of interest and enthusiasm in various people.

I'd have more patience in watching a full broadcast of this almost 60 years later versus most of the overproduced, overpriced, overly long Cirque-de-Soleil-ized stuff of today's IOC and OOCs.

I recall reading that the 1964 opening had a moment when all the flags in the stadium were raised at the same time. That wouldn't be as exciting as watching people dressed like space aliens or flying around on guidewire. But it would have a ceremonial dignity about it lacking in today's selfie culture.

I mean surely someone back in 1920's said why avant-garde art has become abstract and non-realistic, were are the good old values of rennaisance or baroque. Same with the olympics ceremonies, everyone has their likes, but as art pieces they evolve over time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

It too was a very serious moment. A groundskeeper at the 2000 summer games apparently had a mental breakdown and crashed into the stage. The three people standing on it were left flying on their rear ends. That too was a very serious incident, nothing to laugh at.

That groundskeeper and the Benny Hill style chase at the beginning of the Sydney 2000 Closing Ceremony was pure slapstick comedy mayhem.   That’s all.

Much like the slapstick comedy runners at the beginning of the 1992 Barcelona Closing Ceremony.   Or like the comedy mayhem and of the Marx Brothers or Three Stooges.

Olympics2028, there was no out of control stadium worker or “mental breakdown” at the Sydney Closing Ceremony.

The entire chase sequence and all the performers in it, including the stunt persons on the stage that went flying when the bad driver “groundskeeper” crashed was one big staged and rehearsed comedy routine to lighten the mood after 16 days of intense, serious competition.  They were all actors, stunt persons and other performers.

… and the whole thing had a “mayhem” music soundtrack as part of the Closing Ceremony.

4 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

See, here's the disconnect.  You scoff at "today's selfie culture" (to be fair, I do too sometimes and I'm only in my 40s, so I haven't quite reach Get Off My Lawn status yet), but that's the audience the Olympics is trying to reach.  Because if they don't, then future generations of sports fans will become greatly disinterested in the Olympics.

You continue to wax poetic about the past, which is all well and good, but it doesn't give us a template for the future.  You have to adapt with the times.  Sure, you can say there were more timeless elements of ceremonies past, but that was easier to accomplish in the age before social media.  So if you're saying you're more interested in a ceremony from the 1960s than one today, we get that, but you're in the minority there.  I doubt as many people would be buzzing about flags being raised than Li Ning being raised.  Was it more dignified?  Probably.  Was it more interesting or appealing than what we have today?  I doubt it.  And I say that as an Olympics devotee (although unlike most people here, I'm actually in it for the sports rather than treating the competition as filler between the opening and closing ceremonies)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

You continue to wax poetic about the past, which is all well and good, but it doesn't give us a template for the future.  You have to adapt with the times.  Sure, you can say there were more timeless elements of ceremonies past, but that was easier to accomplish in the age before social media.  So if you're saying you're more interested in a ceremony from the 1960s than one today, we get that, but you're in the minority there.  I doubt as many people would be buzzing about flags being raised than Li Ning being raised.  Was it more dignified?  Probably.  Was it more interesting or appealing than what we have today?  I doubt it.  And I say that as an Olympics devotee (although unlike most people here, I'm actually in it for the sports rather than treating the competition as filler between the opening and closing ceremonies)

I've not seen most parts of Olympic openings and closings for years. I watched a bit more of the 2012 ceremonies because of where those games were held. I admit to being both disappointed and even exasperated by what I watched. 

I think you're underestimating the intelligence of today's viewers. Bad satire, overdone mockery, clumsy formats, lame routines and weird Cirque-de-Soleilzed ideas are not necessarily all that appealing to people in the age of iphones, micro breweries and skinny jeans. To some, yea. But to many? 

If I'm in the minority, however, so be it.

Australiafan, I was being facetious about the bit in 2000. The guy in a maintenance cart and his knocking down the stage was obviously a comedic routine. I had never seen that before and assumed the ha-ha routines done in 1992, 2012, etc, were exceptionally hilarious. But the producer of the 2000 presentation takes first prize.

Poking fun at a crazy guy ramming into a stage and scaring people in the stadium won't match the 2028 OOC doing a parody of a huge earthquake and spectators in the stadium cowering in fear.  The 2028 OOC can feature dancers dressed like corpses jumping around replicas of coffins.

Okay, I'm being sarcastic.

In another forum, someone actually thought I was serious when I said that Queen Elizabeth and actor Daniel Craig risked their necks by skydiving into the Olympic stadium. As with humor, sarcasm sometimes isn't recognized.

If the 2028 OOC commissions a production company that's into people dressed like space aliens, segments of har-de-har-ha humor and a lot of "huh?!" routines in general, they'll deserve being slapped upside their heads.

BTW, I consider 2012 to have already done a "Hollywood" theme. Yes, London and the UK aren't LA and the US. But a show-biz-movie-pop-music formula was pretty much the main part of 2012. No need to do it again. 

I admit I'm in the min

3 hours ago, Chris_Mex said:

I mean surely someone back in 1920's said why avant-garde art has become abstract and non-realistic, were are the good old values of rennaisance or baroque. Same with the olympics ceremonies, everyone has their likes, but as art pieces they evolve over time.

Yep, look at how artsy this was. It was a ceremony held in 2016 for the opening of a tunnel in Europe. Holy moly.

Here's one idea that the 2028 OOC can use for the opening (or closing) ceremonies. They can salute the producers (and OOCs too) of previous games by having Olympic swimming teams - also other athletes - come out en masse with hundreds of replicas of what's used in this video.  

The segment can close with Mr Bean playing a loud fart sound on his keyboard.

The spectators and Olympic officials will be rolling on the floor with laughter. A good time will be had by all. 

What's scary is some officials in the IOC and various Olympic operating committees - past, present and future (particularly of the future) - will go, "hey, that's clever! How much will that cost? A lot? Let's go for it!"