T20 World Cup in USA a springboard to cricket’s Los Angeles Olympics bid - 14Nov21 - Sydney Morning Herald

“Cricket’s governors may choose the United States as a venue for the first Twenty20 World Cup in the next events cycle as a springboard to help the game’s bid for inclusion in the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.”

“In a seismic shift away from much of the decision-making of the past seven years, the ICC is expected to award a joint bid by USA Cricket and Cricket West Indies to host the 2024 T20 World Cup.”

• Confused 1

A Rugby World Cup in the USA I get. But cricket has next to no presence in America. Going to a country to help develop the sport is one thing, but surely there needs to be an existing minimum level of participation and attendance. You can't go from almost nothing to a world cup.

OK, so a joint awarding with the WI. But still...

Edited by Rob.

7 hours ago, Rob. said:

A Rugby World Cup in the USA I get. But cricket has next to no presence in America. Going to a country to help develop the sport is one thing, but surely there needs to be an existing minimum level of participation and attendance. You can't go from almost nothing to a world cup.

OK, so a joint awarding with the WI. But still...

Rugby would work. Any NFL or soccer stadium could easily be converted for rugby. Cricket, not so much. That requires more specialized venues, so aside from the interest level, it'd be a tough sell for this country

And I wouldn't say you can't go from almost nothing to a World Cup. That's what happened here in 1994.  Seemed to work out pretty well as history tells us

4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

And I wouldn't say you can't go from almost nothing to a World Cup. That's what happened here in 1994.  Seemed to work out pretty well as history tells us

Football had some history in the US before 94, crowds in the tens of thousands, a decent enough national team, welcoming foreign teams on tours etc. And even though it collapsed NASL at least proved there was an audience for the sport and led to the successful world cup bid and MLS afterwards.

Rugby is a fast growing sport in the US. I know you hosted the All Blacks a few weeks back with a decent attendance, and the team has reached World Cups.

I could be wrong, but American Cricket isn't even close to where football was pre-94, and where American Rugby is now. The idea of cricket world cup in America just seems ridiculous, and probably says a lot more about the ICC's desire to "conquer America" than Americans' desire to actually watch cricket.

1 hour ago, Bear said:

Wasserman claims Los Angeles 2028 has secured half of planned revenue (insidethegames.biz)

The Games Agreement has been approved, and half of the planned revenue has been secured

I still have doubts about how gung ho the LA2028 folks are about turning a profit.  But given what we've seen in the advertising space in recent times (especially as I've seen it in the television world), starting to think they can pull it off so long as expenses don't out-pace revenue.  That last part is obviously easier said than done

On 11/30/2021 at 12:00 PM, Quaker2001 said:

I still have doubts about how gung ho the LA2028 folks are about turning a profit.  But given what we've seen in the advertising space in recent times (especially as I've seen it in the television world), starting to think they can pull it off so long as expenses don't out-pace revenue.  That last part is obviously easier said than done

If the world and US economy are good 2027 and going into 2028, LA 2028 will be a tremendous success on all fronts.  I mean, even the slighlty messed-up Centennial Atlanta Games made a profit of some $10 mil.  World Cup 1994 made I think something like $75 - 80 mil; and then SLC 2002 made $56 mil. 

I don't see how Oregon 2022 (next year's IAEE Athletics World Championships in Eugene) can fail to break even.  Nike is bankrolling that whole event.  Well, here's hoping that the Covid pandemic would have given the would a break by next summer -- with 4 major global fetes scheduled.  

PPS - And then there's also this:  Nike and USATF Financial History Under Investigation: Report – Footwear News  

Edited by baron-pierreIV