Just now, Citizen-Seth said:

I really love this

Hit the post button too quickly...

I think there's a clear evolution here from the experimentation that LOCOG attempted, and the different As are perfect for the modern everyone-is-a-content-creator times. I especially love the primary A  with the CMY gradient. The usage of the 1984 look is also very well done. 

ff_4014745-8ecba88449342d09087calt1_full

Spoiler
Spoiler

I think it's cute how they have a story behind every A. But uh it was a big ??? moment when I first saw it on my feed. A little sad they did away with the sunset gradients in the previous logo but I like how they represented LA's culture and diversity without being pretentious about it.

10 minutes ago, woohooitsme83 said:

I think it's cute how they have a story behind every A. But uh it was a big ??? moment when I first saw it on my feed. A little sad they did away with the sunset gradients in the previous logo but I like how they represented LA's culture and diversity without being pretentious about it.

Adam Rippon’s reminds me a lot of the last logo it’s one of my favorites, along with Lex Gillette’s

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob. said:

Not exactly won over on the execution (i.e. the very heavy black font), but it should be fun watching how this concept evolves, who they get involved, and if it's done well should drive a lot of engagement. Cool idea.

I hope that the public can submit ideas at some point.

• Like 1

Actually, very innovating. It was about time we had a groundbreaking logo which would fit the current digital era, and I like how the way the "A" changes talks so much about LA's identity and culture without going over the top. I agree they could had used a better font for the rest of the letters, though.

It was just very weird that they released it so early. It should had happened in 2021, but i guess they now have plenty of time to get to work in a brand which also matches perfectly with this and with the digital age. I hope there are nods to the Festive Federalism brand of LA'84.

• Like 2

I love the concept, but I do not like the execution. Can the bold font (L, 2 and 8) at least be the same font since the As change? It seems like the L and the 8 are the same or similar, but the 2 is kind of a sports jersey kind of font. Is this the offical logo or some kind of promo to keep people excited since it's so far away--I hope? 

I'm not a fan of the A that's currently their icon on social media (some kind of Old English, brush font). Reminds me of the Oakland As.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

Actually, very innovating. It was about time we had a groundbreaking logo which would fit the current digital era, and I like how the way the "A" changes talks so much about LA's identity and culture without going over the top. I agree they could had used a better font for the rest of the letters, though.

It was just very weird that they released it so early. It should had happened in 2021, but i guess they now have plenty of time to get to work in a brand which also matches perfectly with this and with the digital age. I hope there are nods to the Festive Federalism brand of LA'84.

Besides all of those awesome things, this is great for merchandising as well. People can pick and choose between the logos they like, which may lead to more people buying merchandise, or making more purchases to try and “collect” all the logos.

I will say that they already have an A styled in the 84 style for their merchandise.

I would really like to see them open this up to public, and let even more Angelenos have a part in what the logo looks like. I do really enjoy the focus placed on athletes for these first few designs though. 

The Games do face some opposition from the community, so I think engaging in dialogue with the community, “leaving LA better than they found it,” and creating a lasting legacy for the community in terms of transportation/infrastructure and local youth sports will be essential for the success and viability of the Games.

23 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Besides all of those awesome things, this is great for merchandising as well. People can pick and choose between the logos they like, which may lead to more people buying merchandise, or making more purchases to try and “collect” all the logos.

I will say that they already have an A styled in the 84 style for their merchandise.

I would really like to see them open this up to public, and let even more Angelenos have a part in what the logo looks like. I do really enjoy the focus placed on athletes for these first few designs though. 

The Games do face some opposition from the community, so I think engaging in dialogue with the community, “leaving LA better than they found it,” and creating a lasting legacy for the community in terms of transportation/infrastructure and local youth sports will be essential for the success and viability of the Games.

Did a 180°—The more I see the animations and digest the concept the more I’m liking/loving it. It was just threw me for a bit of a loop. It’s quirky but ultimately modern and engaging. As an Angeleno myself, it’s cool to see the diversity that we see all around us reflected in this dynamic logo. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LA1984 said:

Did a 180°—The more I see the animations and digest the concept the more I’m liking/loving it. It was just threw me for a bit of a loop. It’s quirky but ultimately modern and engaging. As an Angeleno myself, it’s cool to see the diversity that we see all around us reflected in this dynamic logo. 

Yep times 1,000 to that, make that two proud Angelenos. For me, their branding really managed to capture LA well.

I really hope to be involved in these Games somehow, rather that be working, volunteering, or reporting I don’t care. I just want to be a part of it.

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I hope that the public can submit ideas at some point.

I doubt it.  There would be horrendous copyright issues then -- and can you just imagine the logistics of receiving all those entries.  Which is why only a "selected few" were invited to give/share their ideas -- and because this is the United States, I am sure they were asked to sign "WILL NOT SUE" waivers.  

My big question is, if this logo becomes permanent, which one will appear on the medals?  Or will they disregard it completely for the medals?  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

11 hours ago, Victorian said:

Why are they releasing it sooo early for?

Maybe it's a hint to a certain website to stop making all those fake "Olympic logo" contests?  :D  :wacko:

But seriously.  My guess is that the IOC OK'ed its early release just to sustain excitement over things Olympic.  With almost everything in the sports world shutting down, PLUS the question of whether Tokyo 2020ne will even happen, pending a vaccine, the IOC must've felt this is as good a time as any to release something new, exciting and innovative as a dynamic logo -- even if that's just a small candle flame for the moment.  It can't hurt.  Besides they aren't calling it the "permanent" logo.  And maybe also, it will put pressure on Milano-Cortina 2026 to come up with something as equally exciting and innovative as this one is -- after a whole series of such BORING, UNINSPIRED Olympic logos (with Rio 2016 being the exception in that whole series). 

OK, Gamesbidder-artists . . . how do you top this?  Paul?? 

9 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I doubt it.  There would be horrendous copyright issues then -- and can you just imagine the logistics of receiving all those entries.  Which is why only a "selected few" were invited to give/share their ideas -- and because this is the United States, I am sure they were asked to sign "WILL NOT SUE" waivers.  

My big question is, if this logo becomes permanent, which one will appear on the medals?  Or will they disregard it completely for the medals?  

I wouldn’t mind a medal that completely disregards the logo, for a more typical LA scene (Skyscrapers Downtown, Griffith Observatory, Santa Monica Pier, etc.)

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I wouldn’t mind a medal that completely disregards the logo, for a more typical LA scene (Skyscrapers Downtown, Griffith Observatory, Santa Monica Pier, etc.)

If you will look at past Olympic medals, it has to be something specific to that set of Games.  What would make it special if it contained such generic icons as those you mention?    Remember, the Summer Medals are more conservative than the Winter Ones.  One side will already be reserved for the Nike figure and the Athens stadium.  So the back side will have to be  for a small image (usually the logo or something to say " XXXIV Olympiad, Los Angeles 2028") and then the sport; event, and name of the probable winner.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Look at the Tokyo 2020 medals.  

See the source image

I wonder where they will put the athlete's name and the sport?  On the swirly (kinda "pastry"-like) sides of the obverse?  Or on the medal's rim?  It's actually quite a boring design.  

My guess is the rim, that’s the common practice at multi-sports games nowadays. I’m not the biggest fan of the design either.

• 5 weeks later...

So, some people say that MTV was the first "dynamic" logo (but there really is no genre for MTV); and LA 2028 tried to be the first "sports event" to have one as well.   I came across a reversal: an over a 100-year old logo, Lanvin, and they have updated it to be an "interactive" one for their company's website.  (It was the first luxury brand logo I ever saw from my mother's early perfumes.)  I think the update is charming and brings to life the story behind the formation of their logo.  

See the source image

https://www.lanvin.com/us/maison/history/ 

Now, if they only did it in the Lanvin blue.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV