6 hours ago, jtrevino said:

Here’s the survey. I suggest you go through a few of the questions, which are pretty eye opening.  You’ll see almost every single question is baited with a lead-in of fear tactics about the Olympics(even subtly invoking the threat of ICE in largely immigrant LA). If they didn’t get the poll to respond the way they wanted, I’d have been more surprised. 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/nolympicsLA

Yikes, you weren't kidding.  Those are some loaded questions right there.  Classic example of push polling.  They give you their opinion and then ask you the question after they just weighed in.  I will definitely be trolling these folks on Twitter.

6 hours ago, jtrevino said:

Here’s the survey. I suggest you go through a few of the questions, which are pretty eye opening.  You’ll see almost every single question is baited with a lead-in of fear tactics about the Olympics(even subtly invoking the threat of ICE in largely immigrant LA). If they didn’t get the poll to respond the way they wanted, I’d have been more surprised. 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/nolympicsLA

Yeah the wording of the questions was immensely misleading. Yes, cost overruns are a real problem, but it doesn't explain why. Construction costs are what drive the Olympic Committee into the red, something that is noticeably and thankfully missing from the LA bid.

A **** survey that I hope backfires on them.

32 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

Yeah the wording of the questions was immensely misleading. Yes, cost overruns are a real problem, but it doesn't explain why. Construction costs are what drive the Olympic Committee into the red, something that is noticeably and thankfully missing from the LA bid.

A **** survey that I hope backfires on them.

I just can't see them gaining any traction.  Somewhat proves that even the best of bids will have their opposition, but the time to fight it was before last September, not after

Thank you for making me sleep better at night guys! 

I tried to troll those idiots before but they rarely respond to any tweets that dont agree with them and challenge them.

Their whole point so far was not really financial but more like social, that the homelessness will rise, more immigration control (good thing if you ask me), more gentrifying (also a good thing)

1 hour ago, FYI said:

Just exactly what people against the rising massive costs of the Olympic Games in potential host cities need to read about a chairman of an OGOC. :-*

What Wasserman does in his private life and as chairman are two different things. How he decides to spend his money or whether or not he decides to list his Beverly Hills home for sale is irrelevant to an Olympic Budget which has strict oversight by the LA City Council.

^The thing is, most anti-Olympic platforms won’t know, or most likely, won’t care to make any of those distinctions in order to get their anti-Games message across to the average Joe when it comes to asking if they want to be taxed, or not, when it comes to funding a “three-week ‘sports’ party.”

12 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

What Wasserman does in his private life and as chairman are two different things. How he decides to spend his money or whether or not he decides to list his Beverly Hills home for sale is irrelevant to an Olympic Budget which has strict oversight by the LA City Council.

Has nothing to do with the budget.  I don't think anyone would be concerned about that after seeing this news.  Take a look at what's going on with Calgary though.  Part of the discussion is not just whether or not they'll make money on the Olympics, but where that money will go.  Will Calgary citizens benefit from the Olympics, or will most of that go to big businesses and to rich folk?

For all the positive legacies of the `84 Olympics, there have always been lingering questions about the negative effects, specifically involving law enforcement.  Those are legitimate concerns headed towards LA.  You can say Casey Wasserman's personal affairs are an afterthought and you're probably right.  But in a day and age where there's a lot of animosity towards the IOC and the effects the Olympics have on host cities, it's not a good look when the guy running LA's organizing committee is the owner of what could be the most expensive home in LA.

17 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Has nothing to do with the budget.  Take a look at what's going on with Calgary though.  Part of the discussion is not just whether or not they'll make money on the Olympics, but where that money will go.  Will Calgary citizens benefit from the Olympics, or will most of that go to big businesses and to rich folk?

But in a day and age where there's a lot of animosity towards the IOC and the effects the Olympics have on host cities, it's not a good look when the guy running LA's organizing committee is the owner of what could be the most expensive home in LA.

And that was precisely my point. When you have the aspect where a Calgary 2026 Olympics could cost the average household there at least a couple of thousand dollars, & then you have a story like this?

It just reminds me of all of Paul’s criticisms against the IOC & all the graft associated with it. That it’s all about the elite fat cats & nothing else.

32 minutes ago, FYI said:

And that was precisely my point. When you have the aspect where a Calgary 2026 Olympics could cost the average household there at least a couple of thousand dollars, & then you have a story like this?

It just reminds me of all of Paul’s criticisms against the IOC & all the graft associated with it. That it’s all about the elite fat cats & nothing else.

Exactly.  No one should see this piece of news (I'm looking at you, Jesse) and have any concerns about LA's budget or the organization/management of their Olympics.  Nor should LA residents think any differently about the Olympics because the guy running it owns an absurdly expensive home.  But it does underscore the idea that the IOC is full of elitists that cater to the rich and will step over the poor to take care of themselves.  Hosting an Olympics is not supposed to be cheap, but when weighing the costs/benefits - especially with a city like Calgary - it's often worth a closer look at where the money is coming from and who will benefit from potential profits.  Even in LA, that can be something of a mixed bag.

22 hours ago, RuFF said:

Possibly LA’s most expensive home sold belongs to Casey Wasserman. 

https://la.curbed.com/2018/10/18/17995858/most-expensive-home-los-angeles-casey-wasserman

Was it sold?  Can you even read?  And that's "most expensive" only for homes on the market.  

THIS is LA's most expensive house on the market -- Aaron Spelling's house.  It has 14-bdrms vs. 5 for Wasserman's house which is NOT all that grand to look at.  

https://www.realtor.com/news/unique-homes/spelling-manor-6-must-know-facts/  

I think there are a few others in the LA market that are valued at more than $125 mil.  And from the same article, some even bigger than Spelling's house, in the US:

It’s among the largest homes in the U.S., although far from the biggest

One home in California is technically larger than the Manor: Hearst Castle in San Simeon, at 68,500 square feet. However, Hearst's home is owned by California’s park system, making the Manor the largest private home in the state.

It’s far from the largest home in America: That distinction belongs to the Gilded Age-era Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC, which, although it’s a tourist attraction today, remains in the Vanderbilt family.

Since 1988, only four private homes built in the U.S. have been larger than the Manor: a 57,000-square-foot mansion in Ohio built by the heiress of a basket-making company, and a 66,000-square-foot mansion in the Hamptons built by a billionaire businessman. The other two, Versailles in Florida, and Pensmore in Missouri, are still under construction.

The owners of Versailles were the subject of the 2012 documentary “The Queen of Versailles,” which documented the family’s financial troubles during the recession. The owners of Pensmore are suing their construction company for allegedly cutting corners.

(Also, Casey inherited the land from his grandparents (and he may have added the Sinatra lot on his own).)  I am sure Wasserman does NOT need the LA 2028 Chairman-ship for his bottom line.  Also, even LA 1984-Chairman Ueberroth, a man of far less material value than Wasserman  (what;s with the Germanic names??) opted to receive a nominal $1 salary on the last year of his tenure.  So, it's not like chairing the LA thing will make anyone rich.  I believe THEY asked both Uebe & Wasser to sit at the helm -- not the other way around.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We&#39;ve observed a strong correlation between those who support Trump, those who have a negative view of immigrants and the unhoused, and those who support the Olympics. It&#39;s a pretty disgusting triangle of mutual interests. <a href="https://t.co/1CmROuDppo">pic.twitter.com/1CmROuDppo</a></p>&mdash; NOlympics LA (@NOlympicsLA) <a href="https://twitter.com/NOlympicsLA/status/1067253259910311936?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 27, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

thought you might find amusing this connection that the lovely people found between trump and olympics

Just now, Maximf83 said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We&#39;ve observed a strong correlation between those who support Trump, those who have a negative view of immigrants and the unhoused, and those who support the Olympics. It&#39;s a pretty disgusting triangle of mutual interests. <a href="https://t.co/1CmROuDppo">pic.twitter.com/1CmROuDppo</a></p>&mdash; NOlympics LA (@NOlympicsLA) <a href="https://twitter.com/NOlympicsLA/status/1067253259910311936?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 27, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

thought you might find amusing this connection that the lovely people found between trump and olympics

..that NOlympic's ridiculous twitter is making me more positive about an LA games. They sound silly. Are they really trying to say Garcetti is anti immigration...I mean get real dude. They seem to be HUGE advocates of homelessness...as in looking at it as something desirable....weird. The whole thing sounds like immature virtue signaling social justice warriors screaming at the sky. I pray this garbage social protest era ends soon.....lets get this next generation here quickly. 

Absolutely nothing in there to compare with the legitimate NO Boston crew....they seemed to be adults. 

c8kFJLNM53URrxXRyvmFf8.jpg

Edited by paul