40 minutes ago, paul said:

.....the city politics, management, infrastructure, finances, illegal invasion, and TAXES are a bloated disaster to be honest.....but the weather

is amazing....you just need lots of $ to really avoid the problematic bits.

Then how is L.A. this total “utopia” (according to a certain ‘blowhard’ here & his blowhard mentor) if the city has all these problems? How would Paris make L.A. “great again” if again, the city has all of these problems? Bcuz too many, all of that is more than just “problematic bits”.

36 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

You obviously read Abrahamson, speaking of blowhard

:lol:

3 hours ago, FYI said:

Then how is L.A. this total “utopia” (according to a certain ‘blowhard’ here & his blowhard mentor) if the city has all these problems? How would Paris make L.A. “great again” if again, the city has all of these problems? Bcuz too many, all of that is more than just “problematic bits”.

:lol:

....well obviously Paris has all those same problems x 10....i mean it is in the midst of continental and cultural disintegration and economic decline..........they will likely do as most say and run a huge loss which will make profitable LA smell like orange blossoms.

(though lately it just smells like pot everywhere)

Edited by paul

16 minutes ago, paul said:

....well obviously Paris has all those same problems x 10....i mean it is in the midst of continental and cultural disintegration and economic decline

Seriously? Cultural disintegration? Have you not looked in your own backyard lately? Cuz that’s exactly what’s happening right here, right now in the good ole US of A ever since you-know-who came into office. It ain’t all “orange blossoms” over here no matter how much Sarah Huckabee Sanders & the Trump adminstration wanna tell us otherwise. 

And you’re a dumb girl. And I thought that you ‘didn’t even bother’ to read our posts (but obviously you did :rolleyes:).

It’s not so much that (“outranked”, & as if that were supposed to mean anything) Nick Butler ‘referenced’ your AbraSquawkson, as much as, again, him being called out on his one-sided rants. It’s not like Nick was praising him for anything (like you enjoy doing). And quite frankly, Nick should be thankful then that he’s not being mentioned over there, yikes. 

6 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Rick Fox and Dr. Pat Soon Shiong (owner of the LATimes) found themselves at the Olympic Museum this weekend discussing esports. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/rickfox/status/1023667040006152193

Cool story, bro..

Paris 2024 bid team to discuss introducing esports for Olympic Games

Esports in talks with Paris 2024 over demonstration event

Less your hero falsely leads you to believe LA is the only Olympics looking into eSports.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RuFF said:

LA has always been about including eSports. Paris and the IOC were against eSports before they were for eSports. :) Our pal Nick Butler wrote an article on the subject and he pointed to one figure in it, the amount of athletes that can participate in the 2024 Sunmer Games. Someone is going to be cut if Paris includes eSports (after copying LA, again) and if they don’t cut, they’re going to have to add to their budget. I’m really excited to see how this plays out especially in reference to the budget and discuss it with you flimsy wristers for the next few years. :) 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1067685/two-phase-selection-process-confirmed-for-new-paris-2024-sports-as-esports-told-it-cannot-be-considered

You did notice that the article both Quaker and I posted about Paris suggesting e-sports was from last year.  Well before the recent symposium at the Olympic Museum and AA’s Born Again enthusiasm for them. I’d be happy if you could direct me to where they said before that they were against them. And where LA had “always” been proposing them.

As for the quota _ LA will be likely subject to one too. If it wants to introduce e-sports, it would have to decide what else to cut as well.

if anyone is “copying” anyone, Jakarta and Hangzhou should be getting the credit.

Edited by Sir Rols

52 minutes ago, RuFF said:

LA has always been about including eSports. Paris and the IOC were against eSports before they were for eSports. :) Our pal Nick Butler wrote an article on the subject and he pointed to one figure in it, the amount of athletes that can participate in the 2024 Sunmer Games. Someone is going to be cut if Paris includes eSports (after copying LA, again) and if they don’t cut, they’re going to have to add to their budget. I’m really excited to see how this plays out especially in reference to the budget and discuss it with you flimsy wristers for the next few years. :) 

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1067685/two-phase-selection-process-confirmed-for-new-paris-2024-sports-as-esports-told-it-cannot-be-considered

So, just to make sure we have this straight.. the 2024 Olympics are going to copy something from the 2028 Olympics, which happen 4 years later.  And Paris would have to cut something to include eSports in the Olympics, but LA... ?

Yes, I look forward to your continuing "everything is about LA" drivel and I'm sure if eSports wind up in the Olympics, I'm sure you'll claim it was LA's idea that Paris is stealing.  Yes, LA was linked with eSports a while back.  Doesn't mean they hold a patent on it.  Much like LA doesn't have exclusive rights to the sun.

2 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Your lopsided posts should check dates before you clack your keyboard. You do realize that the link I posted was written BEFORE both links Quaker posted. But as is obvious your interests aren’t not have they been about discussing the topic and are loaded with abuse of the authority this forum has given you. 

Links I posted.. August 9, 2017 and April 25, 2018

Link you posted.. July 19, 2018

Want to try that one again?

1 hour ago, RuFF said:

Your lopsided posts should check dates before you clack your keyboard. You do realize that the link I posted was written BEFORE both links Quaker posted. But as is obvious your interests aren’t not have they been about discussing the topic and are loaded with abuse of the authority this forum has given you. 

:blink: Talk about own goals!

Quaker’s post: https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/40875324 (9 August 2017)

Your link: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1067685/two-phase-selection-process-confirmed-for-new-paris-2024-sports-as-esports-told-it-cannot-be-considered (19 July 2018)

For

For good measure, here’s GamesBids’ page discussing (not particularly positively) Paris’ e=sports proposition last year:

Meanwhile, I’m still waiting on you to clack your keyboard and post me some links on Paris always being anti-eSports and LA always proposing them.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RuFF said:

What was then Los Angeles 2024 bid committe, in November of 2016, pushed for the inclusion of eSports in the 2024 Olympics. It wasn’t until August of 2017 that Paris was “mulling” the inclusion of eSports.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/calvinayre.com/2016/11/15/business/esports-become-olympic-sport-la-wins-2024-bid/amp/

No sounds are coming from the Parisian and Budapest bid that the inclusion of eSports is high on their respective agendas.”

Hate to break it, but the sound started in Los Angeles.

Good - i’ll give you that one.

“No sounds” still doesn’t equate to “antipathy” on Paris’ part. Or “copying” - Paris was already assured of 2024 when it made its announcement.

2 minutes ago, RuFF said:

For reference, read around the post Rols referenced on the Paris thread, which is only about 3 pages from the end, and it’s clear that the Paris forum was against eSports, as was the bid. Los Angeles was almost a year ahead in publicly disclosing its desire to include eSports in the Olympic Games (11/2016). Come August of 2017 Paris 2024 for the first time publicly disclosed that it was “mulling” the inclusion of eSports. This, along with moving the dates of the games to accommodate the Paralympics in a time of higher viewership, were ideas of Los Angeles.

Exactly. The whole discussion is a bit cart before the horse. The IOC has gone nowhere near approving e-sports for inclusion in the games. It may be investigating it a bit more seriously now, but it’s also being very cautious. It may well happen, but equally, it may well not. For all that I, as a gamer, might be a bit more supportive of it personally, it would also face a lot of, understandable, opposition and ridicule - as evidenced by the reactions here to Paris’ proposal (by the way, I still see no evidence that Paris was always “against it”). I could show a lot of links also from the media and from IOC members totally against the idea of e-sports in the games. It will happen if the IOC come around to thinking it’s appropriate for the games - but as I’ve said, that’s an interesting and likely polarising debate to come. 

• Thanks 1

If eSports are a part of the 2024 Olympics, history is not going to give 2 shits that "the sound started in Los Angeles."  LA will not get some sort of credit for "mulling" the inclusion before Paris did.  They don't get to claim a patent on good ideas and even if they do, what's more important is the first Olympics to actually execute it.  Gonna guess that none of the LA folks will be at an eSports event in Paris shouting "hey, we thought of that first, you stole our idea!"  Because LA was reportedly talking about eSports before Paris (which is how it was reported, it's not like there was a public announcement), that means.. what, exactly?  Other than absolutely nothing?  That the Paris forum was against means less than nothing.

But you keep going ahead in Trump supporter-like fashion to convince yourself that Paris is against eSports despite evidence to the contract.  And that you have zero evidence to back that claim.  Because no, something not being high on their agenda does not mean they were against it.  Doesn't even mean they weren't thinking about it.  Certainly doesn't mean they only started talking about it because LA did first, as you're trying to frame this.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

You did notice that the article both Quaker and I posted about Paris suggesting e-sports was from last year.  Well before the recent symposium at the Olympic Museum and AA’s Born Again enthusiasm for them. I’d be happy if you could direct me to where they said before that they were against them. And where LA had “always” been proposing them.

As for the quota _ LA will be likely subject to one too. If it wants to introduce e-sports, it would have to decide what else to cut as well.

if anyone is “copying” anyone, Jakarta and Hangzhou should be getting the credit.

This whole idea of who's copying who or who thought of something first is just sad, and is typical of RuFF's petty agenda on this forum. Not having a go, but I'm surprised so many people are falling for it. Christ, have I've just waded through 2 pages of people talking about dates on fucking articles?!

The idea of e-sports has been floating around for ages, who cares who or what instigated it first - it's all going to have to go through the IOC for approval and they'll introduce it if/when they're ready. I don't personally think it's a good fit for the Olympics anyway.

6 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Check this out, if you guys make it to Los Angeles in 2028, you might be able to ride Metro to your favorite places where sloppy drunks that are vile and promiscuous hang out. There is a push to extend Metro through West Hollywood by the 2028 Games! :) FYI, Quaker, Rob?? 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-west-hollywood-subway-20180730-story.html%3FoutputType%3Damp

And yet you’re so well informed about these places, PuFF the FluFF.

On the topic of eSports.

Los Angeles has been hosting eSport tournaments for several years already.

And the annual E3 convention held at the LA convention center draws an international crowd each year is headed for its 24th year.

I can see why early on the LA group really pushed for some sort of inclusion. They see the value in having it be part of an international competition.

9 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

On the topic of eSports.

Los Angeles has been hosting eSport tournaments for several years already.

And the annual E3 convention held at the LA convention center draws an international crowd each year is headed for its 24th year.

I can see why early on the LA group really pushed for some sort of inclusion. They see the value in having it be part of an international competition.

That's the the tough part though.  How do you turn something in the form of a convention into an international competition that's supposed to appeal to people around the world.  I'm starting to come around on eSports and their inclusion in the Olympics only because they do need to try and bring in a new audience.  But unlike, say, surfing or baseball where the format of the competition is pretty straightforward, eSports is such a broad and wide-ranging concept that there are a thousand different ways they could go with it.  To make them work for the Olympics though, it needs to be highly organized and structured to be inclusive of the entire world.  That's far easier said than done.  Which isn't even getting into how this will play on TV.  That will be the challenge for all involved and it needs to be - to use a buzzword from earlier - a collaboration between all the parties involved that needs to be more than a one-shot deal if it's going to gain any traction.

LOL, infrastructure.  Tell us.. what special infrastructure does LA have that would be useful for this that "any other place in the world" lacks?  Yes, that there is a big gaming industry in California is a big part of why LA is pushing for this.  There are a thousand particulars that need to be sorted out in order for eSports to have a place in the Olympics.  These aren't concerns.  They're not obstacles.  This isn't like hosting a beach volleyball tournament (which, not for nothing, has been going on in LA before it was an Olympic sport.. it wasn't until the FIVB started sanctioning it on an international level that it made its Olympic debut).  It's not just about companies in LA flexing their technological muscle and that will get their sport into the Olympics.  The push needs to come from an international governing body that can sanction the competition.  That will probably be the International e-Sports Federation which is based in South Korea.  They have 47 member nations, although worth nothing that neither France nor the United States are members.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, RuFF said:

You kinda answered your own question in an attempt to gloss it over. Sure, it needs to be sanctioned, but in a place that is a global epicenter of media, technology, trends, and a gaming industry if ever there was a place to try it, it’s LA. In terms of infrastructure I’m talking about that which allowed aforementioned “industry” to thrive. It’s not necessarily a building though there is an eSports arena in Burbank. Add to that the arenas, such as Citizens Business bank arena, that didn’t even make it to the LA 2028 venue list and opened brand new within the last decade. Point is you don’t get to be a motion picture capital without supporting infrastructure, you don’t get to have a thriving gaming industry without one, either. 

You're still missing the bigger picture here.  The gaming industry has been built for years on selling the product to customers mostly for use on personal consoles.  In recent years, it has become a lot more interactive.  But when we're talking about eSports, it's about taking that industry and turning it into a spectator event.  That concept is still in its relative infancy.  Again, I agree with you that LA is a great place to showcase it, but how does that "industry" turn this into something that's worthy of being included in the Olympics to where it can become a worldwide spectacle?  There's a lot of time to figure that out, but LA may or may not be able to take the lead on this.  There needs to be a larger organization that oversees and operates all this that ideally will be in place after LA hosts their Olympics.  And if that organization can get themselves on the program for 2024, why wait an extra 4 years?  Try this out in Paris and then let LA learn from that experience and turn it into something even bigger.

I looked up the arena in Burbank.  Looks like it's the former Tonight Show studio.  Definitely a very cool set-up.. Burbank’s Blizzard Arena aims to take esports to the next levelPEOKJ7ZRQFGFJF5NJMKDPMTLLE.jpg

Here's the thing though.  That's a 450 seat arena.  That's a good start, but if eSports wants to convince the IOC it's worthy of being added, this is what they need (courtesy of Rob from a post in another thread)..

Twenty million players, £250k prize, and drugs testing: the Fifa eWorld Cup just got serious

TELEMMGLPICT000170372398_trans_NvBQzQNjv

THAT is what's going to get eSports in the Olympics.  An event like that at a large scale venue.  I will absolutely grant you that LA is an excellent city to provide those kinds of theatrics.  But there's also the measure of broadcasting this on TV around the world.  That's why it needs to be more of a global effort.  Whatever form this competition takes needs to be something that will draw in and appeal to people all over the planet.  So that's going to be a big leap to go from gaming industry to eSports.

Let me state this again for the cheap seats.. I have every confidence that this can happen for the 2028 Olympics (if not sooner) if those committed and invested in the effort try to make it worth.  But there are still a ton of things that need to happen in order to make it a reality to where a gamer from Japan is invited to march in the Opening Ceremony alongside one of their gymnasts or a gamer from the United States is sharing space in the Olympic village with Katie Ledecky.  It can't just be that "LA has a thriving industry" and that will be enough.