6 hours ago, ejaycat said:

The Banc of California Stadium is nearly finished.  Is it me, or did this go up really fast??

The Coliseum renovation is moving right along...

I guess it wasn't a hugely complex build, but it's a cute looking venue and it looks like there could be a proper rivalry already building with LA Galaxy - I saw Ibrahimovich stole the show a couple of weeks back. These American soccer stadiums that are popping up are quite distinctive, taking the best from English football stadiums, but still having a quite open style - and can only be good for MLS. Looks like there might be room to expand a bit as well in future if it's a real success.

The less said about the renovation butchery of the Coliseum the better.

5 hours ago, Rob. said:

I see LA booster extroadinaire Alan Abrahamson is having a little whine about lawn bowls at the Commonwealth Games, claiming it doesn't have "global appeal". It does amaze me an Olympic journalist misses one of the great things about multi-sport events - for two weeks you get drawn in by sports you never normally watch and these competitors and sports get a bit of airtime because of these events.

Anyway....I take it everyone here is looking forward to the basketball World Series, and all those amazing touchdowns?

Not to speak for everyone, but.. yes.  That's the culture of sports here in the United States.  Baseball is going to be with us virtually every night for the next 6 months.  Contrast that with something like the Olympics which, like you said, draws us in for 2 weeks, but then that's it.  As exciting and appealing as the the 2018 Olympics were, at this point it feels like it might as well have been a year ago.  The Winter Games especially fill a nice little gap in the calendar here between the Super Bowl and the NCAA Tournament.  And now, we're onto baseball season and basketball and hockey playoffs.  Those events don't quite have the intensity and the immediacy of an Olympic final, but at least they're in the national consciousness on a regular basis, not merely for a couple of weeks every few years.

That all aside, I see the comment you're referring to.  That's cute of Alan to take a shot at the Commonwealth Games and point out how they're a non-factor in the United States.  Not surprisingly, if I scroll down, he also made mention of Paris 2024 and their budget.  Gee, why does such a comment seem like I've seen it here before?

Btw, kudos to the mods for deleting out trolling posts and thank you for allowing me to get e-mail alerts on what's posted in this thread so I have a record of such things before you remove said posts, but not the original evidence of the trolling.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

That's cute of Alan to take a shot at the Commonwealth Games and point out how they're a non-factor in the United States.  Not surprisingly, if I scroll down, he also made mention of Paris 2024 and their budget.  Gee, why does such a comment seem like I've seen it here before?

Oh my, what are you trying to get it, Q?!

12 minutes ago, RuFF said:

So while Calgary potentially ending their bid for 2026 is not relevant to this thread, that they’re doing it because upto 27 IOC members are involved in the new  Pyeongchang 2018 corruption allegation is great cause for concern. That’s nearly 1/4 of the IOC. It literally is the IOC, accused of corruption. 

15 hours ago, Rob. said:

Anyway....I take it everyone here is looking forward to the basketball World Series, and all those amazing touchdowns?

I think a major portion of the difference between sports in North America and Britain is that we have multiple "major league" sports as opposed to the near hegemony of football in the UK. Obviously Britain has rugby and cricket, but if I recall correctly club rugby in England has less annual revenue than League Two. (For Americans that is actually the fourth highest soccer league in the UK, and equivalent of single A or maybe Rookie League baseball.) So we don't really need a break from our domestic sports leagues because there are four different sports, or five with MLS.

Anyway it is silly to suggest that the Commonwealth Games are outdated because Americans don't watch them. We aren't in the Commonwealth, after all. That Canadians don't care about them is a much bigger problem.

The problem is that many homeless people are homeless because of mental illness or alcoholism rather than simply a small bank account, and landlords do not want to rent to them because they see them as risky. It is easy to criticize the landlords for this, but after repairing $40,000 in damage to my parent's rental house thanks to a substance-abusing family that lived there, I can fully understand why people are reluctant to rent to addicts. It's a lot harder to be compassionate to future high risk tenants when a couple years of retirement savings have been trashed by people in a similar situation in the past.

So I am not certain this will actually work. If you are a motel owner, will you make more money by 1) renting to impoverished homeless people who are very high maintenance (both literally and figuratively) or 2) selling the property to a developer who can take advantage of the changes in the law to build studio apartments? It seems very likely to me that the "business" answer will be apartments unless a strong risk mitigation fund (see here) is put in place.

17 hours ago, RuFF said:

One of the floated legacies of Los Angeles 2028 is getting off to a good start. If LA can do the responsible thing and counter the irresponsibility if it’s East Coast counter parts, making homelessness functionally zero would an incredible legacy for Los Angeles and a great example for other cities to follow. 

https://la.curbed.com/2018/4/11/17225282/homeless-housing-rules-los-angeles-motels

The plan on paper looks great, but homeless is a tough issue for virtually every city because its not just enough to house them. The root cause of their homelessness needs to be addressed. Some are chronically homeless because of untreated mental illness, or substance abuse. A great deal of them are young Americans who were kicked out of their homes for being Gay/Lesbian/Transgender, and more recently, many cannot afford the sky high rent.

I commend the city of LA for addressing this head on, and I realize, this was voter approved almost an entire year before it clinched the 2028 Games, but still. It will be a long and daunting task.

13 hours ago, Nacre said:

The problem is that many homeless people are homeless because of mental illness or alcoholism rather than simply a small bank account, and landlords do not want to rent to them because they see them as risky. It is easy to criticize the landlords for this, but after repairing $40,000 in damage to my parent's rental house thanks to a substance-abusing family that lived there, I can fully understand why people are reluctant to rent to addicts. It's a lot harder to be compassionate to future high risk tenants when a couple years of retirement savings have been trashed by people in a similar situation in the past.

So I am not certain this will actually work. If you are a motel owner, will you make more money by 1) renting to impoverished homeless people who are very high maintenance (both literally and figuratively) or 2) selling the property to a developer who can take advantage of the changes in the law to build studio apartments? It seems very likely to me that the "business" answer will be apartments unless a strong risk mitigation fund (see here) is put in place.

I agree. Already look at what is already happening in Orange County. The board of supervisors decided to break up a homeless encampment and temporarily house them in area motels and eventually building housing for them. The decision was met with fierce opposition from county residents and constituents.

Same in LA. Everyone wants them off the streets, but nobody wants them in their neighborhoods. It's a fucked up dilemma being played out over and over again in many cites.

17 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Even though the moderator deleted my post and went on a rant before deleting his own post, it's become clear that the article I cited is of direct interest to this thread. Sure, I could post the article to the Pyeongchang thread, or the Calgary thread, but the article itself defies this logic. Calgary is using Pyeongchang (not related to Calgary) to potentially end it's bid. But that's not the real issue. The real issue is the amount of IOC members that are potentially connected to the scandal and the near complete loss of trust from the public, and in the case of Calgary, government as well. Robert Livingstone himself is addressing this very topic on this weeks Bid Week! And this topic applies to every single bid and future host city, including Los Angeles. Funny that even though LA isn't "related" to this Robert Livingstone also threw LA in on his article. Specifically, he wrote this:

"Los Angeles’ 2028 Summer Games is the current “poster child” for the new Games model and they’ll host without building a single permanent venue for the Games, and with no public investment."

Now, I didn't put those words in his mouth. Maybe you guys can go bash him or the moderator can delete his blog post and perhaps educate him if the moderator has those kinds of guts. I don't think he does. And I think it's clear that the moderator probably shouldn't hold that authority. 

Nope..

This is the article you posted in this thread that got deleted.. https://gamesbids.com/eng/winter-olympic-bids/pyeongchang-2018/new-report-casts-allegations-of-corruption-surrounding-pyeongchang-2018-olympic-bid/

That was posted on Monday.  The article with that line you cited (which you did not share in this thread) is from today.. https://gamesbids.com/eng/featured/bidweek-with-calgarys-2026-olympic-bid-on-verge-of-collapse-ioc-must-take-note/

56 minutes ago, RuFF said:

That may be the case, but it doesn’t change the fact that I drew the same conclusions Calgary and Robert Livingstone did and pretty much connected the same dots. As soon as I saw upto 27 I knew it was about the IOC, as a whole, and it applies to anybody who does business with the IOC. 

What conclusions?  Your original post about the first post just said "this is too painful to read."  You offered no commentary there.  Now there's another article with a brief mention of LA (which I happen to disagree with) and suddenly it's "there's a connection to LA there?"  Yea, not really.  The issue at hand is that there are potentially a number of corrupt IOC officials.  Not exactly a stunning revelation.  That LA is a future host of the Olympics.. what exactly does that mean for LA?  Doesn't that someone poke a hole in the theory that LA is going to be a savior of the games if the issue isn't with the model of hosting but rather the folks who run the operation in Lausanne?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RuFF said:

One of the floated legacies of Los Angeles 2028 is getting off to a good start. If LA can do the responsible thing and counter the irresponsibility if it’s East Coast counter parts, making homelessness functionally zero would an incredible legacy for Los Angeles and a great example for other cities to follow. 

https://la.curbed.com/2018/4/11/17225282/homeless-housing-rules-los-angeles-motels

As opposed to 1984?..

The 1984 Olympics Were Bad For Poor Black People In Los Angeles

The 1984 Olympics fueled L.A.’s war on crime. Will the 2028 Games do the same?

Let's be careful about making the claim that an Olympics will benefit poor people and the homeless.  Past history tells us that's not likely to be the case and if this initiative accomplishes that, it has little to nothing to do with the Olympics.  Once again.. not everything is about the Olympics.  This has everything to do with LA but absolutely nothing to do with the Olympics.

4 hours ago, RuFF said:

And if you’d like to take up the legacies take it up with Mayor Garcetti because he’s the one that dropped on the media that he wanted to end homelessness in LA before the 2028 Olympics.

he said he'd do it way before now.......lies...............just bs lib talking points while LA looks like a 3rd world hell hole.....with fancy shopping.   ...well see in 28...more focus on the middle class is more helpful but will never happen w/ horrible CA gov focused on illegal invasion, entitlements and race division (all for votes).

7 hours ago, RuFF said:

You’re entitled to your opinion. Thankfully everyone already knows you speak of LA as some sort of source but as has been proven repeatedly I understand LA a tad bit more than you. And if you’d like to take up the legacies take it up with Mayor Garcetti because he’s the one that dropped on the media that he wanted to end homelessness in LA before the 2028 Olympics.

And as a side note I don’t come looking for you. I don’t know what it is about me that’s got you stuck but it’s time to move on. 

I'm not doubting your knowledge of LA.  But I do question how much you "understand LA" and your repeated attempts to put news into context on an Olympics forum.  Case in point..

Garcetti says L.A. can end street homelessness in a decade

The timetable Garcetti is offering has nothing to do with the Olympics.  He's not trying to end homelessness by 2028 because that's when the Olympics are there.  1 has nothing to do with the other.  And if the 2 do become inter-twined, history tells us that could potentially be a dangerous thing.

And I'm not coming to look for you.  You make a post here with an opinion.  I offer up an opinion.  And again, I get e-mail alerts for this thread.  I've seen what you've posted that has been deleted.  Don't know why you think this is about me.  Just trying to have a conversation here.  It's not like I'm disagreeing with you just to be contrarian.

On 4/10/2018 at 3:06 PM, ejaycat said:

The Coliseum renovation is moving right along...

40426658555_3010272e9f_b.jpg

40426656205_1fc72e592f_b.jpg

All images by STERLINGDAVISPHOTO.

This is THE memory of my first Olympics in 1984 (too young to remember the ones before in my time)...Be gentle! and those stands better be gone from the arch gate way by 2028.

Alexjc,   that was  my first Olympic memory consciously being aware. That is why to me it is with a classic Olympic stadium. I wouldn't even touch the façade of the stadium. It's not fancy anymore, but still an open air Olympic stadium, with a second to none cauldron. I hope this time the lighting could be appreciated without the sulight just in front of the it. The fire hardly could be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

The current Los Angeles City Hall was dedicated 90 years ago today.  Obviously, it'll be 100 years old when LA hosts the Olympics again.

31318395_10209288209320911_3778517579102

And at Exposition Park, adjacent to the Coliseum, construction on the Museum of Narrative Art is well underway.

31369119_10209288234241534_3120838260792 

Hunter Kerhart Flickr

On 4/27/2018 at 3:30 PM, RuFF said:

I’m really looking forward to the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center and the 18 storey tall Space Shuttle Endeavour. I think it’ll be just as if not cooler than the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, but that could be just me too. Haha. 

I'm looking forward to the Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center and the new display for the Endeavour as well.  I saw that model when I went to the California Science Center on Monday; I skipped work that day to go there, because one of my nephews, who is 14, had a science experiment entered into the California Science Fair, held at the Science Center, which took place April 23-24.  I wanted to spend time with him and support him and his science exhibit.  I didn't realize what a big deal that Science Fair is, students from the whole state participated, so Exposition Park had a lot going on; plus there's a King Tut exhibit that's drawing a lot of crowds.  I'm gonna see the King Tut exhibit later on some time; it runs through next January, I believe.  

https://kingtutexhibition.com/en/?_ga=2.167704119.843868252.1524976462-912221074.1523150631&_gac=1.229247272.1524976462.EAIaIQobChMI-uaOgdTe2gIVT7bACh2T4g4_EAAYASAAEgICcPD_BwE

Edited by ejaycat

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-clippers-donation-20180402-story.html

One down for 2028. Stadium is open and first game has officially been played by LAFC vs Seattle.  There’s a gallery of the game and the stadium in the link. 

This part of town, by luck, is primed to become a centerpiece for the Olympics. At least two more milestones will happen in these parts that should keep visitors with a packed schedule of activities. Expansion of the Science Center to properly house Endeavor Space Shuttle and the Lucas Museum, which broke ground this month. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, RuFF said:

Another 1.2 Billion free upgrade to the LA 2028 bid:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-aeg-convention-center-20180508-story.html

It would tack on an extra 350,000 space to the convention center and add a 40 story hotel with 850 rooms next door. AEG (who owns Staples Center) hopes to finish by 2021 if the city approves this. No mention of the Olympics, but this has to be an enticing proposition as the city plans for it. 

On 5/14/2018 at 3:59 PM, Rob. said:

Can't argue with that, pretty much spot on.

I agree as well.  However, that statement does somewhat speak to a point that many of us have been making here for awhile.. as much as Los Angeles can deliver an Olympics "in a special way," that makes them more a unique host rather than something for other cities to serve as a model/template for.  Nothing at all wrong with that

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Interestingly enough his statement said that LA DOES NOT own the good ideas to deliver “in a special way”, but rather that LA owns the ability to “actually execute them”. 

Quite the opposite of what Quaker and Rob agreed with. 

Don't get wrapped up in semantics.  Here's my post, but watch what happens when I change 1 word but it means the exact same thing..

as much as Los Angeles can deliver execute an Olympics "in a special way," that makes them more a unique host rather than something for other cities to serve as a model/template for

Yes, the statement says that LA doesn't own the ideas.  They own the ability to execute.  They own the ability to *deliver* those ideas, which is a world of difference from simply having good ideas to deliver.  Doesn't necessarily imply they're the only city that can do that, but it means nothing unless you actually have the ability to *deliver* them.  If you look at the line before the one you quoted from the article, it says "Since Los Angeles won’t need to build any new structures for their upcoming games, money can be spent elsewhere building the experience."  What other potential Olympic host city does that apply to?  Certainly not Paris as you've brought up.

So again.. Los Angeles can either be a model/template for other Olympic host cities to emulate.  Or they are uniquely qualified to do things that no other city can.  They can't be both.  And I'm pretty sure you're of the opinion it's the latter, not the former.  And without saying it directly, that's what the statement implies.