1 hour ago, paul said:

This just in........The President of Haiti has called Los Angeles a sh...hole.

I don't want to turn this into a political debate, as this is not a forum for that. So I will instead simply ask what would you do with the poor and mentally ill.

The cities on the east coast, the midwest and the south have all pushed the homeless out. In some cases by buying them bus tickets out west. They have dumped their homeless problem on west coast cities, which are already dealing with higher real estate prices creating a housing shortage. (We have that housing shortage because we are economically stronger than the rest of America, not because we are lefty communists.) And the west coast cities and states have reacted with compassion and social programs that are lacking in the rest of America outside of New York.

So what do you think we should do with the homeless and mentally ill? This is not a rhetorical question; if you have an easy solution to the homeless problem then we would love to hear it.

Edited by Nacre
  • Like 1

1. vote out liberals who ruin great cities when they control policy/gov. (see detroit)

2. enforce existing laws that restrict loitering everywhere and ruining our neighborhoods, public spaces and the city

3. stop sanctuary policies that encourage the illegal invasion by people w/no means of support

4. ship them all to san fran which is a totally destroyed shithole anyway

5. ship them to the obama library

6. labor camps maybe but only if consolidated to, say......Maywood

2 hours ago, paul said:

1. vote out liberals who ruin great cities when they control policy/gov. (see detroit)

2. enforce existing laws that restrict loitering everywhere and ruining our neighborhoods, public spaces and the city

3. stop sanctuary policies that encourage the illegal invasion by people w/no means of support

Arresting the homeless, deporting them (perhaps to Siberia or Australia?) or putting them them into forced labor camps. Got it. You win. I bow to your superior wisdom. We are indeed diminished by not having you running our country. You should start a political party with men in matching shirts.

Edited by Nacre

...i just realized you are in Seattle....so you obviously know a lot about homeless, filth and mess, bums, slackers and illegals ruining a city, and liberal policies that compound the problem.....was there a month ago.....homeless invasion there is similar to san fran....smells like urine and weed everywhere too, like SF....gross.

Is Seattle’s homeless crisis the worst in the country?

14901716909_2ae6740f22_b.jpg

560c02a2-425a-11e7-82e1-e4a3456429fa-780

TaxTheRichProtest_620_AP_ET.jpg f32f0a95cc62d7bc9638dc692006c714--seattl

vancouver-homeless-camp-b70a92741273d4bb

62a5502c-715e-11e6-92c1-95a43992eadc-780

US_NEWS_NEVADA-MENTALLYILL_2_SA.jpg

1511391697-1499785558-screen_shot_2017-0

1238-02-1263x560.jpg

KING_Jungle_Sweep_101116_1_1476204656122

homeless-woman.jpg?w=1100

Edited by paul

2 hours ago, Nacre said:

you should start a political party with men in matching shirts.

...it might depend on the designer.

p.s.......i do LOVE those PB&J sandwiches w/ sliced strawberries on grainy thick bread that you can only get in Seattle Starbucks ....cant wait for the national roll out.....!

On 3/1/2018 at 8:03 PM, paul said:

While I do fault Garcetti for not acting more quickly on the homelessness situation, I can't pin the blame on him entirely, or on liberal governance.

The homelessness problem has been decades in the making.

1. Many of them are not from Los Angeles, or even from the west coast. This has been well documented by many non-profit organizations. Many come from RED, CONSERVATIVE States where they simply get them one way tickets on Greyhound to the west coast.

2. Enforcing the laws does nothing. The cops can cite all they want, they are homeless, they have nothing, we can just put them in jail, it will be insanely costly and will fix nothing.

3. The homeless you see on the streets of LA, SF, Seattle, San Diego, are not illegal immigrants. Immigrants often find housing with a relative or friend. I don't even know how this made the list.

4. Where do I even start, SF, really? A city a fraction the size of LA?

5. You're delusional

6. You are sounding very Hitler-ish

I get your frustration, I have it too, and liberals and conservatives alike are fed up with it. But blaming one party or one mayor is stupid. Many past administrations both Republican and Democrats have failed to address it.

Housing them isn't enough. That is a band aid approach. Each person has his/her individual needs. No one wakes up one day and decides they want to live on the street. It is a systematic failure of sorts. Many are veterans with unchecked/untreated PTSD, some are young gay and lesbian kids who were kicked out of their homes for being gay (looking at you southern states), some left abusive relationships, and many are just very mentally ill and are getting no help.

The city, county, state, country needs to provide services to this people so that they are not just housed, but get the help and treatment they need to stay off the streets.

Having worked with homeless in California I can tell you it is not easy. They are humans, not animals, and they each have their own tragic story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2018 at 8:03 PM, paul said:

Really, Paul?  Really?  WOW.  :angry:

@Jesse Saenz, thanks for the work you do with the homeless and your attitude re them.  Yes, they ARE fellow humans after all.  If I had the resources, I would help the situation much more.  

23 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Really, Paul?  Really?  WOW.  :angry:

@Jesse Saenz, thanks for the work you do with the homeless and your attitude re them.  Yes, they ARE fellow humans after all.  If I had the resources, I would help the situation much more.  

I won't lie, I was shellshocked by Paul's comments on a very complex and sensitive subject. Nothing about what he said was humanistic or had an ounce of compassion.

2 hours ago, RuFF said:

For those a little further away from LA, the video screens are being tested on Circa. Circa is within the Downtown Sports Park and will be joined by LA Live Video Screens, Video Screens on the under construction three tower Oceanwide Plaza,  as well as those on building immediately south of Circa and north of Oceanwide. It’s going to be a bit of a video screen overload come 2028. 

Whoa.  If I am not mistaken that is directly in front of the Staples Center.

It will make for a dazzling visual as spectators in '28.

9 hours ago, RuFF said:

Alan Abrahamson has a piece on the Scott Blackmun resignation and surrounding controversy:

https://www.3wiresports.com/articles/2018/2/28/mob-justice-is-not-fair-its-not-justice

Sometimes, a bit of catharsis is a valuable second-best when true justice is going to take a very long time to achieve

7 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

Whoa.  If I am not mistaken that is directly in front of the Staples Center.

It will make for a dazzling visual as spectators in '28.

Unless, in the full decade between now and the LA Olympics, such technology comes to seem quaint !

7 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Sometimes, a bit of catharsis is a valuable second-best when true justice is going to take a very long time to achieve

Unless, in the full decade between now and the LA Olympics, such technology comes to seem quaint !

You're right. If we get it right, Figueroa will be more like this.

blade-runner-screenshot-01.png

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Have you ever been to Times Square in NYC?  Or the Vegas strip?  The issue isn't just about technology.  It exists now to produce giant video images like the image of LA that was posted.  But is it practical to put a giant video screen up like that and have it up and running all day/night?

2 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Have you ever been to Times Square in NYC?  Or the Vegas strip?  The issue isn't just about technology.  It exists now to produce giant video images like the image of LA that was posted.  But is it practical to put a giant video screen up like that and have it up and running all day/night?

From a marketing point of view. Hell yes. That is prime real estate with high vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Ads can be played at all hours and rotated regularly.

During the Olympics they can play for Sports or Olympics related branding videos or ads.

The possibilities are huge.

5 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

From a marketing point of view. Hell yes. That is prime real estate with high vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Ads can be played at all hours and rotated regularly.

During the Olympics they can play for Sports or Olympics related branding videos or ads.

The possibilities are huge.

4 hours ago, RuFF said:

The exposure of LA Live and South Park is pretty massive. And in the next few months it’s going to grow more. LA Live and South Park have become LA destinations for tourists and locals alike. The video screens are placed exactly where people who are going to sporting events, conventions, concerts, award shows go and the restaurants, bars and hotels that accompany them. But the amount of video screens existing are already a lot. There’s a lot more to come when the 5 skyscrapers with supporting shopping and hotels open literally across Figueroa Street. 

The possibilities are indeed huge.  And I agree it could definitely become a major focal point for LA.  

On 3/7/2018 at 12:51 PM, Quaker2001 said:

But is it practical to put a giant video screen up like that and have it up and running all day/night?

No.  I believe the Official IOC hotel will be the Marriott there.  In 1984, when the Official IOC hotel was the Downown Biltmore by Pershing Square, LAOOC made sure that Pershing Square and surrounding blocks were quiet and peaceful at night because the IOC requested it.  So, they may NOT run those things ALL night.  IOC and thousands of workers have to be ready for the next day.  Visitors, too.  

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

No.  I believe the Official IOC hotel will be the Marriott there.  In 1984, when the Official IOC hotel was the Downown Biltmore by Pershing Square, LAOOC made sure that Pershing Square and surrounding blocks were quiet and peaceful at night because the IOC requested it.  So, they may NOT run those things ALL night.  IOC and thousands of workers have to be ready for the next day.  Visitors, too.  

The Marriot at LA Live is actually on Olympic away from Figueroa, and not facing any large screens.

Now, if they opt for the new Park Hyatt Hotel that's under construction, then yes, they will be near those screens.

But, um, curtains? Sound proof windows?

I've slept just fine in Vegas with all the debauchery going on just a few feet away.

30 minutes ago, RuFF said:

... indignant response from Stephane Troussel, the president of the regional council of Seine Saint-Denis which will host most of the Olympic sites.

"We are not in the Republic of the Inspectors of Finance, we can't change the winning plan," he told AFP.

You can fail to complete the winning plan though ...

• 2 weeks later...

NFL reportedly raising debt limit on Rams stadium after L.A. project nears $5B price tag

This has nothing to do with the budget of LA2028 since it's a separate project, but it once again goes to show that big construction projects sometimes wind up costing more than originally anticipated.  And this isn't a little more.  This is a lot more.

16 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

NFL reportedly raising debt limit on Rams stadium after L.A. project nears $5B price tag

This has nothing to do with the budget of LA2028 since it's a separate project, but it once again goes to show that big construction projects sometimes wind up costing more than originally anticipated.  And this isn't a little more.  This is a lot more.

$5,000,000,000, that's a bonkers amount of money. But hey, it was Kroenke's project. He and the NFL are responsible for the added costs.

I will admit, when I saw the whole entertainment complex alongside the Stadium, $2 Billion seemed like a bargain. The stadium alone was about $1 Billion.

22 hours ago, RuFF said:

Here we have Robert Livingstone sounding like Alan Abrahamson. I wonder when Nick Butler will start sounding more like Alan, too? Holy crap those last few paragraphs.

https://gamesbids.com/eng/featured/bidweek-united-states-makes-move-toward-its-olympic-manifest-destiny/

" So here we are again with the USOC and IOC heading West to California across the frontier.  But this time, they’ll need to remember why they went to Los Angeles in the first place. "

The final line pretty much sums up why I always rooted for LA to run again. I rooted back in 2008/2009 for the 2016 Games when it lost to Chicago, and for this past bidding cycle when it originally lost to Boston and ultimately backed out of 24' for the 28' Games.

LA gets it done, makes them memorable, leaves legacies, and does not go into the red.