4 hours ago, RuFF said:

This is great news, Mayor Garcia is another really forward thinking Mayor.

Additionally, it's nice to see that many of these projects, like LA's list, were already in the works before the Olympic announcement.

Very welcome news.

The lot directly across the Walt Disney Concert hall will begin construction on the long awaited Grand Avenue project.

This is a great addition the Downtown sports park and the marathon which will terminate just down the street at Grand Park.

Designed by Frank Gehry.

https://la.curbed.com/2018/1/22/16919512/frank-gehry-los-angeles-grand-avenue-project

The_Grand_from_First_Street_Looking_East

The_Grand_Retail_and_Restaurant_Podium__

The_Grand_Overall_View___courtesy_of_Rel

The_Grand_Public_Plaza___2___courtesy_of

The_Grand_Evening_View___courtesy_of_Rel

On 1/26/2018 at 6:01 PM, JesseSaenz said:

This is great news, Mayor Garcia is another really forward thinking Mayor.

Additionally, it's nice to see that many of these projects, like LA's list, were already in the works before the Olympic announcement.

Very welcome news.

Very similar to Atlanta really. The city had talked about transportation upgrades, urban renewal, and a downtown overhaul for years, but once the Olympics were granted, they finally had a  purpose, and a deadline, to meet. I think, and hope, LA uses these Olympics to focus on the development of the city as a whole, as they don't need to spend nearly as much effort as anyone else trying to construct stadiums. Metro projects like these can be long-lasting benefits that remain useful long after the Games are over (take a look at Tokyo 1960), and I'm glad LA is realizing this!

1 hour ago, JesseSaenz said:

USC  announces name change to the Coliseum under new sponsorship agreement.

In 2028, welcome everyone to the, wait for it....

United Airlines Memorial Coliseum

Excuse me while I vomit all over the goddamn place.

What’s next Geico Dodger Stadium!?

How ugly. The reconfiguration was going to be ugly enough, now this?

19 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

USC  announces name change to the Coliseum under new sponsorship agreement.

In 2028, welcome everyone to the, wait for it....

United Airlines Memorial Coliseum

Excuse me while I vomit all over the goddamn place.

What’s next Geico Dodger Stadium!?

Not the most surprising thing they sold naming rights, especially now that there is a new tenant there, albeit temporary.  But yea, that doesn't sound right.  Plus, I'm not sure I like the idea of an airline in the name of a stadium that has "memorial" in the title.

Fortunately, as Rob noted, sponsor names are not used during the Olympics.  So it will still be the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum for the purposes of the Olympics (much as the Delta Center for the 2002 Olympics was officially the "Salt Lake Ice Center")

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 12:06 PM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

SpaceX has already overcome the first (and in some ways biggest) hurdle, getting payloads into orbit with high reliability and low prices. There's a real possibility that they'll be responsible for the majority of the world's launches next year.

They already have, and really swiftly.  But Musk has written off flying cars as being too dangerous, thus his focus on hyperloop. Even Musk has limits. 

sacex1.jpg

Getting a little back on topic, and referring back to prior complaints about the coliseum renovation I decided to look into my archives and pull out the leaked applicant file for LA that was used during the domestic bidding process nearly *FOUR* years ago. I always felt that the concept proposed back in the earliest stages of the bid would've been the best plan. I suppose USC had other thoughts:

CHoujk8.png

J1OcR1j.png

0TCQd2J.png

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/r3QmUS3.png)

I'm still hopelessly holding a candle that the plan is revived in the future. There's still a solid ten years before the games.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mr.bernham said:

Getting a little back on topic, and referring back to prior complaints about the coliseum renovation I decided to look into my archives and pull out the leaked applicant file for LA that was used during the domestic bidding process nearly *FOUR* years ago. I always felt that the concept proposed back in the earliest stages of the bid would've been the best plan. I suppose USC had other thoughts:

CHoujk8.png

J1OcR1j.png

0TCQd2J.png

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/r3QmUS3.png)

I'm still hopelessly holding a candle that the plan is revived in the future. There's still a solid ten years before the games.

I wonder if they didn't follow through with this Olympic Park-esque plan because of the ambiguity relating to the ceremonies. Depending on who you ask, the Opening Ceremony will be at the Coliseum and closing at Inglewood, or vice versa, some (including the LA bid) have suggested two separate ceremonies. They probably didn't want to invest so much into the area to end up having the largest event at Inglewood. However, the revitalization is nice and OC/CC or not, the park would look beautiful with the revitalization. Don't know how I feel about the stadium roofing, especially after the current revitalization, because it would give off even more of a "makeup on a pig" look,  but the surrounding park renovation is amazing. A concert venue type thing that Pyeongchang could be set up there for nightly events.

1 hour ago, anthonyliberatori said:

I wonder if they didn't follow through with this Olympic Park-esque plan because of the ambiguity relating to the ceremonies.

There is no "they." USC is paying for the renovations to benefit their American football team. The LA2028 organizing committee will handle the ceremonies but is not renovating the stadium. That is why the stadium is not optimized for the Olympics.

Obviously it is far too early to start talking about the style of the games. But I personally hope Los Angeles chooses to show what it does best: how American culture melds with the rest of the world. For example Disney use European culture with its films, while Europeans in turn use American music styles. They could follow the development of the Beatles from African music to American plantation music to American rock and roll and then finally to British rock, for example.

Conversely it would be cool if they could introduce some international customs for the games celebration. A Eurosong style music contest for the US states would be amazing. Even Idaho has some good singers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4KA0mUnC8

Edited by Nacre

17 hours ago, Nacre said:

There is no "they." USC is paying for the renovations to benefit their American football team. The LA2028 organizing committee will handle the ceremonies but is not renovating the stadium. That is why the stadium is not optimized for the Olympics.

I understand that, I guess it was made unclear. But I was really trying to say that maybe the Olympic Committee isn't/hasn't/won't push for this park-type renovation because of they don't want to get into USC's renovations. Also with the NFL teams moving out, that stadium will only really be USC's in the future and will have very little other purpose other than USC football, maybe some NCAA Bowl Games or an occasional event like the Superbowl or the Olympics. It may seem pointless in the future for the USOC to invest in an area that will not serve as much Olympic purpose as a place like Downtown LA/LA Live will, especially if they decide against the Coliseum for the ceremonies. 

6 hours ago, Nacre said:

Obviously it is far too early to start talking about the style of the games. But I personally hope Los Angeles chooses to show what it does best: how American culture melds with the rest of the world. For example Disney use European culture with its films, while Europeans in turn use American music styles. They could follow the development of the Beatles from African music to American plantation music to American rock and roll and then finally to British rock, for example.

Conversely it would be cool if they could introduce some international customs for the games celebration. A Eurosong style music contest for the US states would be amazing. Even Idaho has some good singers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4KA0mUnC8

Yep.

I have little doubt LA will deliver IMMENSELY on this.

LA is a mecca for music, movies, art, food, fashion, you name it, the city is exporting this stuff at an astonishing rate.

I only hope that it continues to do so well into 2028.

New fly-through video posted yesterday of LAX's automated people-mover, scheduled to start construction this year, to be completed by 2023:

• Like 3

On 2/20/2018 at 7:18 AM, RuFF said:

With 10 years of lead time I’m going to guess that the Los Angeles River will play a leading role in the story Los Angeles will project of itself in 2028. Anyhow, I ran into this CityLab article that equates the LA River to Central Park and the High Line. It examines the greening of the river and it’s role in gentrification, as well as how LA can be a model of green development that doesn’t displace. Of course, LA is already unaffordable so that’s a moot point IMO but still a good article none the less:

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/02/can-the-la-river-avoid-green-gentrification/553613/

This is so within reach. They should get working on it ASAP.

They can really use it to the advantage of the new 6th Street Bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

LA is Obamaville, he had a far left dream.......Garcetti made it reality!

36N2SYRCXFG4DFILX6RVV6T2WM.jpg

078e1.png

121730-full.jpg

112042-full.jpg

HomelessNew.gif

MRT_skid-Row.jpg

....the only thing more  disgusting than our bum and illegal invasion problem is our liberal problem.

Eric Garcetti took office with a promise to end chronic homelessness by the end of 2016.......suckers!

Los Angeles’ homelessness crisis is a national disgrace

Homelessness burst its traditional borders several years ago, spreading first to gloomy underpasses and dim side streets, and then to public parks and library reading rooms and subway platforms. No matter where you live in L.A. County, from Long Beach to Beverly Hills to Lancaster, you cannot credibly claim today to be unaware of the squalid tent cities, the sprawling encampments, or the despair and misery on display there.

THIS is democrat Garcetti's LA.

California created. California disgrace.

.....the new subways lines will just be more mobile homes for the new angelino hobo class.

......Garcetti sucks HOBO dick !

Edited by paul