33 minutes ago, RuFF said:

I didn’t know Dodgers.com forwarded you to the secondary market page, or that stub hub is the secondary market. 

Anyhow, the actual face value is 800 bucks. And those are currently the cheapest available tickets. The “best value” seats are priced starting at 1600. Though most are over $2000 on secondary website StubHub.

Dodgers set postseason ticket prices. World Series seats would start at $166

The most expensive ticket would be $531, not including suites and luxury seats. That ticket would put you in the front row of the field-level box seats, between the bases. If you are a season-ticket holder, that price would be $381.

Ticket prices range from $31 to $236 for the division series, $63 to $256 for the league championship series and $166 to $531 for the World Series.

That was from August, so has something changed since then?  No, "actual face value" is the actual value printed on the face of the ticket (hence the name). Not what Stubhub (which is what dodgers.com is forwarding you to when they tell you there are no more tickets available through the team.. World Series Home Game 1 @ Dodger Stadium).  

I see the article you're citing since it has your specifics (Dodgers World Series tickets could be among the priciest ever) but those numbers still reflect the secondary market, not what is being sold by the team.  You're right that perhaps it does hint at what Opening Ceremony tickets could get on the open market, but don't confuse the secondary market value of tickets with what they are originally sold for.

• 3 weeks later...

It won't be the only city with Dallas/Ft. Worth and Dubai also signing on, but pretty fun addition if they can pull it off.

Personally, I still think a fully functional Hyperloop connecting Los Angeles to San Francisco, Las Vegas, and San Diego would be much more of a success story.

Los Angeles 2028 and the Olympic flying Taxi network

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bizcarson/2017/11/08/uber-wants-to-bring-its-flying-taxis-to-traffic-congested-los-angeles-ahead-of-the-olympics/#5edefd1e42ec

15 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

It won't be the only city with Dallas/Ft. Worth and Dubai also signing on, but pretty fun addition if they can pull it off.

Personally, I still think a fully functional Hyperloop connecting Los Angeles to San Francisco, Las Vegas, and San Diego would be much more of a success story.

Los Angeles 2028 and the Olympic flying Taxi network

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bizcarson/2017/11/08/uber-wants-to-bring-its-flying-taxis-to-traffic-congested-los-angeles-ahead-of-the-olympics/#5edefd1e42ec

I'll believe it when I see it.  This feels a little too Back to the Future to me and considering they missed the deadline on that one for 2015, don't have a lot of faith this one is happening anytime soon.  Wonderful as this idea sounds, 2 problems.. 1) With security already being heightened during the Olympics, do they really want flying taxis in and around Olympic venues?  And 2) They really think these will be priced on a level similar to UberX?  I sincerely doubt that.

6 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

I'll believe it when I see it.  This feels a little too Back to the Future to me and considering they missed the deadline on that one for 2015, don't have a lot of faith this one is happening anytime soon.  Wonderful as this idea sounds, 2 problems.. 1) With security already being heightened during the Olympics, do they really want flying taxis in and around Olympic venues?  And 2) They really think these will be priced on a level similar to UberX?  I sincerely doubt that.

Those seem more like operational challenges that can be worked out, I mean, 11 years dude. Remember that 10 years ago we didn't even know what an iPhone was, and now they practically grow on trees.

11 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

Those seem more like operational challenges that can be worked out, I mean, 11 years dude. Remember that 10 years ago we didn't even know what an iPhone was, and now they practically grow on trees.

Flying taxis are not iPhones though.  It's not like smartphones didn't exist a decade ago before the iPhone came on the market and consolidated the industry.  They evolved out of a previous generation of technology that was in place long before Steve Jobs made the iPhone a reality.

Operational challenges?  Dude.. can you honestly tell me you're envisioning 2028 with a network of flying taxis roaming over Los Angeles (or any city for that matter, forgetting just the Olympics) and that somehow it's going to be priced affordably enough to make this work?  There's no way.

You know what else didn't exist a decade ago?  Uber.  But what grew that into a multi-billion dollar company was based on technology largely already in existence.  This requires a whole fleet of vehicles which are barely even in the planning stages.  So yea, 11 years is not exactly a long time to make that happen.  Again, Back to the Future predicted flying cars to be a reality in 30 years.  Didn't happen.  IMO, 11 years is not enough to make that reality come true.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RuFF said:

The second Phase of the International Terminal expansion is well underway and is expected to open in 2019. Might I add I was back in LA a few weeks ago and the shuttle to rental car experience sucked. Made me imagine the people mover and consolidated rental facility and train station. I can’t wait for that. It was also a shame because I was thinking Ft. lauderdale already offers the consolidated facility and the plane to car experience is much better. I can’t wait to see those improvements at LAX.

It's not just the shuttle. LAX as a whole is a very stressful place. Airports in general are, but LAX takes the cake. Traffic, huge terminals, and nothing connecting them. So if you have to make a connecting flight, GOOD LUCK!

So glad they are unfucking that airport. Anytime I am flying into LAX I am already downing wine or tequila because I KNOW the next hour or so after landing will be a **** show.

21 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Excitement Builds in Los Angeles to Have One Less Professional Team Playing 

https://sports.theonion.com/excitement-builds-in-los-angeles-to-have-one-less-profe-1820020905 

Even the Mayor joked about it. He couldn't understand why the Chargers decided to leave SD. No one in LA wanted them, and SD wanted them to stay. So weird.

Even Rams, they are the #1 team right now,  and the crowds at the Coliseum are not what they were last year (Granted it holds 90,000)

21 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Flying taxis are not iPhones though.  It's not like smartphones didn't exist a decade ago before the iPhone came on the market and consolidated the industry.  They evolved out of a previous generation of technology that was in place long before Steve Jobs made the iPhone a reality.

Operational challenges?  Dude.. can you honestly tell me you're envisioning 2028 with a network of flying taxis roaming over Los Angeles (or any city for that matter, forgetting just the Olympics) and that somehow it's going to be priced affordably enough to make this work?  There's no way.

You know what else didn't exist a decade ago?  Uber.  But what grew that into a multi-billion dollar company was based on technology largely already in existence.  This requires a whole fleet of vehicles which are barely even in the planning stages.  So yea, 11 years is not exactly a long time to make that happen.  Again, Back to the Future predicted flying cars to be a reality in 30 years.  Didn't happen.  IMO, 11 years is not enough to make that reality come true.

You are almost making a case for the flying Uber service. All of it will use existing or already developing technologies and software, not to mention it is a partnership they have with NASA on this. Is it challenging, hell yes. Is it impossible? No.

7 minutes ago, JesseSaenz said:

You are almost making a case for the flying Uber service. All of it will use existing or already developing technologies and software, not to mention it is a partnership they have with NASA on this. Is it challenging, hell yes. Is it impossible? No.

No, pretty sure I'm making a good case against it.  Again, we are talking about flying cars here.  And not just a few of them, but a whole network to move people around a city.  Perhaps you've heard of this thing called a helicopter.  One could consider that a form of a flying car.  Do you see a network of helicopters out there?  Could you imagine a fleet of helicopters being a form of a taxi service, let alone the type of ride sharing and point to point travel that Uber offers?  And even if that was a reality, how much would it cost?

The article also mentions Elon Musk and SpaceX.  He can talk about a lower cost version of what NASA is doing with the space program, but is that any closer to reality that might occur in the near future?  If it did, would it actually be cost effective for the common American?

Developing technology and software is the easy part.  Creating Uber, masterful as that concept is, doesn't require a ton of technology.  It basically requires a network of people with a car, a cellphone, and not much else.  This "flying Uber service" requires specialized vehicles that don't exist in a commercial form, probably qualified people to operate them (as opposed to Uber which is more "do you have a driver's license?.. good, you're hired"), and once that's in place, a consumer-friendly marketing plan that makes this a viable product.  That all may not be impossible, but that's pretty gosh darn challenging.  Again, this sounds more like science fiction than something we're going to see in a decade.

31 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Elon Musk and SpaceX.  He can talk about a lower cost version of what NASA is doing with the space program, but is that any closer to reality that might occur in the near future?

SpaceX has already overcome the first (and in some ways biggest) hurdle, getting payloads into orbit with high reliability and low prices. There's a real possibility that they'll be responsible for the majority of the world's launches next year.

2 hours ago, JesseSaenz said:

It's not just the shuttle. LAX as a whole is a very stressful place. Airports in general are, but LAX takes the cake. Traffic, huge terminals, and nothing connecting them. So if you have to make a connecting flight, GOOD LUCK!

So glad they are unfucking that airport. Anytime I am flying into LAX I am already downing wine or tequila because I KNOW the next hour or so after landing will be a **** show.

LAX is now the 2nd busiest airport in the US, and 4th busiest in the world.  So yeah, it's a stressful place indeed.

The last time I flew out of/flew back in to LAX, I took the FlyAway bus from Union Station, which was actually not bad.  But once there is direct rail connection to LAX, that'll make it much nicer.  

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, RuFF said:

Metro has released its 28 transit projects by ‘28. The “New LA” is legit. 

https://urbanize.la/post/here-are-28-projects-metro-could-complete-2028-olympics

Happy to see the extension to Westwood where the Village will be, but it bothers me that it's just a few miles shy of Santa Monica.

Also, no West Hollywood connection from the LAX line is another big ouch.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Wait, are the ground renovations for the coliseum just regular renovations or are they already starting to prepare for the 2028 games?

No. These renovations were taking place regardless if the city won the games or not.

USC wanted to upgrade it for their games, which incidently, the Rams will also benefit from.

As we get closer to the games, they will install a track and give it another quick sprucing up before the opening ceremonies.

It's nice to see that the Coliseum has stood the test of time. In this day of stadiums being discarded after 20-30 years, the fact that the Coliseum will be over 100 years old (albeit with several renovations) by the time the 2028 Games get here is really impressive.

The danger with these renovations (which nobody seems to like), is that the stadium ends up permanently disfigured architecturally and still nowhere near the level of new, modern stadiums in terms of the facilities on offer. A kind of terrible halfway house that satisfies no-one. Of course, this wouldn't be the fault of the Olympics or LA28 as these changes are nothing to do with them, but I do think what's planned looks like a sad bodge job that could damage the stadium.

5 hours ago, Rob. said:

The danger with these renovations (which nobody seems to like), is that the stadium ends up permanently disfigured architecturally and still nowhere near the level of new, modern stadiums in terms of the facilities on offer. A kind of terrible halfway house that satisfies no-one. Of course, this wouldn't be the fault of the Olympics or LA28 as these changes are nothing to do with them, but I do think what's planned looks like a sad bodge job that could damage the stadium.

Watch the Coliseums $270-Million Renovation Take Shape

The problem with the Coliseum is and always will be that it's not well designed for American football.  That they are keeping the original shell of the stadium, they'll have the same issue where the peristyle end is essentially worthless.  I guess this is probably the best they can do without tearing down the stadium and rebuilding it from scratch.  This is what's necessarily though to renovate a nearly century old stadium rather than to re-build it.  I don't think this will turn out like Soldier Field in Chicago where it looks like a spaceship landed.  But there's only so much they can do here.  And remember - as we all know - that the USC renovation and the $270 million being spent has next to nothing to do with getting the stadium ready for the Olympics.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

The problem with the Coliseum is and always will be that it's not well designed for American football.  That they are keeping the original shell of the stadium, they'll have the same issue where the peristyle end is essentially worthless.  I guess this is probably the best they can do without tearing down the stadium and rebuilding it from scratch.

It really isn't: many of the seats on either side of the new luxury boxes will now have obstructed views even for American football. This plan is 100% aimed at increasing premium ticketing, with 0% consideration given to either the plebians in general admission seating or the stadium's Olympic conversion.

...so those seat will be offered at reduced prices, which some people will appreciate.......and who cares what the transient Olympics want...not like they arent't getting multiple state of the art mega stadiums and a city that will fill their pockets to makeup for all the other financial, legacy and pr failures like Rio.

i honestly think they should just rebuild the whole thing bigger and better in shiny black marble, ominous, something that will be a perfect setting for President Trump to attend the games.

6 hours ago, paul said:

...so those seat will be offered at reduced prices, which some people will appreciate.......and who cares what the transient Olympics want...not like they arent't getting multiple state of the art mega stadiums and a city that will fill their pockets to makeup for all the other financial, legacy and pr failures like Rio.

Building a stadium without obstructed views is not that difficult and is one of the first objectives for architects working on modern stadiums that do not include marble. All they had to do was to build up rather than putting a big box right in the middle of the seating on one side of the stadium.