• 2 weeks later...

Wow, how much trouble are the LA teams in then? Seems strange from afar - you'd think a city the size of LA could sustain one NFL team properly at least. But then, I don't know, maybe LA really is just a base-&-basketball town, where NFL is a bit of an afterthought... American sport can be a strange thing from outside :P

2 hours ago, yoshi said:

Wow, how much trouble are the LA teams in then? Seems strange from afar - you'd think a city the size of LA could sustain one NFL team properly at least. But then, I don't know, maybe LA really is just a base-&-basketball town, where NFL is a bit of an afterthought... American sport can be a strange thing from outside :P

I think you’re asking too much from a team on it’s first day. A fanbase has to be grown, and a reputation has to be built. You’re not entitled to have a ready-made fanbase just because LA has a lot of people. It’s like reviewing a restaurant on opening night. There needs to be some time to pass before getting a proper idea. 

5 hours ago, yoshi said:

Is this the first experiment with NFL in LA then? Seems remarkable that somewhere like that hadn't had a team...the other really major cities have teams, don't they?

LA used to have NFL teams, but they left in the mid-1990s, so it's been a few decades since the NFL was in LA.

Like jtrevino said, a fan base has to be grown.  

17 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Anyone want to take any bets on which team will leave LA before 2028? Hell maybe they'll both be gone by then it really wouldn't surprise me lol.

Whichever didn't get the LA deal first should have opted to stay where they were.

I'll take that bet.  The answer is neither of them.  Right now the Rams are playing at the Coliseum, an over-sized stadium that is not exactly well set up for football, and the Chargers are playing at the Stubhub Center, which is extremely under-sized for an NFL team.  In a few years, they'll both be playing at a brand new state of the art $2.66 billion NFL stadium.  No team would leave a deal like that.  Where exactly would they go?

I agree LA would be better off with 1 team rather than 2, but the Chargers are thinking long time.  They could have stayed in San Diego at their decades old stadium (where they're not likely to get a new one) or gone to LA and been the "other" team in a brand new palace of a stadium.  Can't fault them for taking that team, even where it means they're spending 3-4 years in purgatory in Carson.

The reason the Rams and Raiders left LA in the first place was because they were in bad stadium situations.  The Raiders at the Coliseum (which led to numerous TV blackouts.. that policy has since been changed) and the Rams in Anaheim in a stadium not designed for football.  It's no coincidence that what brought football back to LA was an owner willing to finance his own stadium, which eliminates (eventually) the problems the previous teams had to deal with.  We all know that most of LA is pretty ambivalent towards pro football, but I'm fairly confident once the new stadium is up and running, we won't be seeing the swaths of empty seats a 90,000 seat stadium like the Coliseum is showing us.

15 hours ago, yoshi said:

None whatsoever.  Again, wait until these teams have a proper home.  They don't have that yet.  When they do, I'm confident these teams will flourish.  And remember.. LA has no problem filling the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl for college football games (I know, I was at both of them over Labor Day Weekend).  LA has an awkward relationship with pro football, largely because of TV policies that made it hard to follow the teams that were here in the 80s and 90s.  The situation is much different now.  Give it time for the LA area to get used to this rather than judging them before they're fully ready to go (i.e. with the new stadium)

Problems for the NFL teams in Los Angeles:

1. People living in Los Angeles that care about American football already have teams they support. Mostly the two university teams and the NFL's Raiders, Forty Niners and Cowboys.
  2. Los Angeles is a city of migrants from other parts of the USA and the world as a whole. Many of the people who lived in Los Angeles during the 1980's when the Rams were there (including myself) have left the state for better jobs and lower real estate prices elsewhere. In particular there has been a mass exodus of African-Americans, who disproportionately favor the NFL.
  3. Many Mexican-Americans, who now make up 40% of California's population, support Liga MX instead of any American sports leagues.
  4. There is a lot of competition for entertainment in Los Angeles. Most families would rather spend the day at Disneyland or the beach than at an NFL game. The Rams had far less competition for disposable income in St Louis.

Many of these things are curiously also true of Paris. For example Paris only has one first division football/soccer team (PSG) compared to London's five. (Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham and Crystal Palace.)

Edited by Nacre

IOC President Bach to visit Los Angeles on September 17 and 18
09/11/17

Lima, Peru - International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach will visit Los Angeles this weekend, following the IOC Session which is set to confirm LA as 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games Host City.

President Bach will be joined by IOC Director General Christophe De Kepper, IOC Executive Director for the Olympic Games Christophe Dubi and senior leaders of the IOC Administration. On Sunday September 17, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and LA 2028 Chairman Casey Wasserman will accompany the IOC delegation to the NFL game between the Los Angeles Rams and the Washington Redskins at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. President Bach will light the Coliseum’s Olympic cauldron, alongside a montage of the iconic stadium’s great Olympic moments from the 1932 and 1984 Games.

After the LA Coliseum, President Bach, Mayor Garcetti, Casey Wasserman and Olympic Champion gymnast Nastia Liukin will join stars of the entertainment world on the red carpet for the 69th Emmy Awards, honoring the best in US primetime television programming as chosen by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. The Emmy Awards take place at Microsoft Theater, proposed venue for weightlifting in the heart of LA 2028’s Downtown Sports Park.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said: “The Games have given Los Angeles so much joy and inspiration over the years, and IOC President Thomas Bach is always a welcome and honored guest. But this visit is special: President Bach will arrive to a city beginning a new Olympic celebration, because for the first time in a generation we are bringing the Games back to Los Angeles. This city is in love with the Olympic and Paralympic Games, and we cannot wait to share our celebration and gratitude with President Bach.”

LA 2028 Chairman Casey Wasserman said: “At LA 2028, we love the chance to showcase the City of Angels and we are honored by President Bach’s visit. The IOC President and his colleagues will once again see for themselves why Los Angeles makes such an extraordinary Host City: elite sport and passionate fans, right alongside the glamour of the entertainment industry, all of it enjoyed by a global audience. We look forward to sharing our city with members of the Olympic Family many more times over the next 11 years.”

Around the rings

Unless they reset the cycle to an 11 year lead-in. But there's still 2026 to deal with which could provide a headache for the IOC - then again, pick up an Innsbruck or Calgary or somewhere like that (maybe even both for another double-deal?) & things start to look rather rosy for them...more by luck than judgment but still. 

On 9/14/2017 at 5:45 AM, Quaker2001 said:

More like 2023 when they have to start courting host cities for then.  But yea, beats having to do that again in just 2 years.  Instead they get 6

I think you'll find 2018/2019 won't be a party as they have the Winter Games/referendum messes coming up next for 2026/2030.

• Like 1

At least LA won't have to wait so long this time for its next outing as Host City. A mere 44 years compared to the 52 years that elapsed between its first 2 hostings. They're getting narrower!

Keeping up this trend, I wonder if the 4th outing will be around 2058 (not that it'll make any difference to me of course)? ;)

• Like 1

Guys I have few questions regarding the venues 

1. Is it final?  Clippers trying to build an arena next to the NFL stadium.  If it's built before it will be a better place for gymnastics or possibly handball/volleyball 

2.  Is there a map of where the venues in the Sepulveda basin will go? As a resident of the valley i pass the area a lot and always wonder where the 3 temp venues will go

3.  The NFL stadium will host soccer final?  I think I saw it on wiki but not in the video they played during the presentation 

11 minutes ago, Max said:

Guys I have few questions regarding the venues 

1. Is it final?  Clippers trying to build an arena next to the NFL stadium.  If it's built before it will be a better place for gymnastics or possibly handball/volleyball 

2.  Is there a map of where the venues in the Sepulveda basin will go? As a resident of the valley i pass the area a lot and always wonder where the 3 temp venues will go

3.  The NFL stadium will host soccer final?  I think I saw it on wiki but not in the video they played during the presentation 

Here's my two cents...

1)  I don't think it's final.  Like with Tokyo's bid that won for 2020, and where their venues are now.  There have been some changes, as I recall reading some time ago, and their overall venue footprint isn't as small as it was; they spread some venues out to save money, I believe.  So, LA's venue plan might change as well.  11 years is a long time, a lot can happen---more sports might be added, some sports might be dropped...

2)  Here you go, Sepulveda Basin Olympic Sports Park.  Mind you, for some reason, the map is oriented east (east is at top).  

MzpYRB4.jpg

33995005331_8fbb7bce60_k.jpg

3)  On Wikipedia, they listed the Inglewood NFL Stadium as hosting the Men's Soccer Final and the Rose Bowl for the Women's Soccer Final.  It'll probably change, I don't doubt.