Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PYRROS2004

WORLD RECORD!

THIS JUST REALEASED BY bbc.co.uk

Gatlin denied world 100m record  

Gatlin poses with what he thought was a new world record

Justin Gatlin has been sensationally denied the world 100 metres record he had claimed last Friday in Qatar.

Governing body the International Association of Athletics Federations has revealed that Gatlin ran 9.766 seconds, not 9.7 secs as first thought.

According to IAAF rules, that time should have been manually rounded up to 9.77 secs - matching but not beating Asafa Powell's existing world record.

Gatlin had said on Friday: "I feel like I'm the best of the best."

The dramatic news will come as a huge shock to world and Olympic champion Gatlin, who thought he had proved himself the greatest sprinter in the world with his 'record' in Doha.

But it adds even more intrigue to the rapidly-developing rivalry between Gatlin and Powell.

Gatlin will also be confident of lowering the new mark - particularly as he has been aiming to peak later in the season.

He said on Friday: "I had a horrible start and I know I can do better.

"The timing could be further improved this year, probably in Europe."

The IAAF said it acted after being informed of the error by Tissot Timing.

Jamaican Powell set his record in Athens last year, beating the 9.78 secs run by discredited American sprinter Tim Montgomery.

Gatlin and Powell will renew their rivalry when they go head-to-head for the first time this season at the Gateshead Grand Prix on 11 June.

The pair last met on the track at the London Grand Prix last July but Gatlin cruised to victory as Powell pulled up with a groin injury which also kept him out of the world championships.

Yeah, They just released the info - but that isn't fair - it's a record after all - what if the previous one was like for example 9,71 - this one is better - well

Yeah, They just released the info - but that isn't fair - it's a record after all - what if the previous one was like for example 9,71 - this one is better - well

We already got the message after your first post  :;):

It's really strange - I keep having those probles with double-posting (sometimes more) and it's only here, at Gamesbids forums. I hope that will change when the new boards come in place

THIS JUST REALEASED BY bbc.co.uk

Gatlin denied world 100m record  

Gatlin poses with what he thought was a new world record

Justin Gatlin has been sensationally denied the world 100 metres record he had claimed last Friday in Qatar.

Governing body the International Association of Athletics Federations has revealed that Gatlin ran 9.766 seconds, not 9.7 secs as first thought.

According to IAAF rules, that time should have been manually rounded up to 9.77 secs - matching but not beating Asafa Powell's existing world record.

Gatlin had said on Friday: "I feel like I'm the best of the best."

The dramatic news will come as a huge shock to world and Olympic champion Gatlin, who thought he had proved himself the greatest sprinter in the world with his 'record' in Doha.

But it adds even more intrigue to the rapidly-developing rivalry between Gatlin and Powell.

Gatlin will also be confident of lowering the new mark - particularly as he has been aiming to peak later in the season.

He said on Friday: "I had a horrible start and I know I can do better.

"The timing could be further improved this year, probably in Europe."

The IAAF said it acted after being informed of the error by Tissot Timing.

Jamaican Powell set his record in Athens last year, beating the 9.78 secs run by discredited American sprinter Tim Montgomery.

Gatlin and Powell will renew their rivalry when they go head-to-head for the first time this season at the Gateshead Grand Prix on 11 June.

The pair last met on the track at the London Grand Prix last July but Gatlin cruised to victory as Powell pulled up with a groin injury which also kept him out of the world championships.

Man, talk about using "luge times" to calculate the finishing times for the men's 100m race now. "This makes athletics look like a joke!", mentioned by a "SB" poster in this BBC article. This could send a precedent on other timed sporting events, too.

We already got the message after your first post  :;):

It's really strange - I keep having those probles with double-posting (sometimes more) and it's only here, at Gamesbids forums. I hope that will change when the new boards come in place

mmm interesting i have never had that problem

Well, how fast can the men's 100m record fall toward to? And, to think, this comes just less than a year before the Beijing 2008 Games, as mentioned already in another topic.

Link: BBC: Powell Smashes 100m World Record

_44105959_powell203ap.jpg

Powell was back to his best after his Osaka disappointment

Opening quote: "Jamaican Asafa Powell broke the world 100m record by clocking 9.74 secs at the IAAF Grand Prix in Rieti, Italy."

100m RECORD EVOLUTION

9.74 A Powell, Rieti 2007

9.77 A Powell, Athens 2005

9.79 M Greene, Athens 1999

9.84 D Bailey, Atlanta 1996

9.85 L Burrell, Lausanne 1994

9.86 C Lewis, Tokyo 1991

9.90 L Burrell, New York 1991

9.92 C Lewis, Seoul 1988

9.93 C Smith, Colorado 1983

9.95 J Hines, Mexico 1968

It seems that European track venues are the place to do these kind of world records nowadays.

Wow thats a big drop in time for powell. I wonder how much lower the record can go?

Am I the only one who is not really jubilant about that record? OK, Powell might have had very good wind conditions -- but nevertheless, it's very astonishing that the 100 m world is usually surpassed by only one hundredth of a second, and now by three! Sorry, but that's a little too much for my taste.