WORLD RECORD!

Yeah, MON!  :cool:

Asafa Powell of JAMAICA now has the world record for the men's 100m. The time: 9.77 SECONDS!!  :wwww:

And, of all places, at the Athens stadium that hosted the 2004 Olympic Games!  :shocked:

Powell Breaks World 100m Record

Oh, boy! I hope I didn't make this topic prematurely. Rumors has it that it could be disputed and, even worse, be scrapped.

100m.jpg

29781_W600XH400.jpg

“Someone has promised me a pleasant surprise” said Minos Kyriakou, the IAAF Council Member, president of Hellenic Olympic Comittee and President of the organising club, Panellinios A.C., of tonight’s Athens Super Grand Prix Tsiklitiria 2005. The comment came yesterday (Monday 13 June) hinting at the possibility of a World record in this year’s edition of the IAAF Super Grand Prix meeting.

Asafa Powell (JAM): «I am very happy that in my second presence here in Greece I achieved this performance. It is amazing that after Maurice Greene, I also achieve a world record in this Stadium and in this marvelous organization. I knew I could break the world record and I am very happy that I succeeded. If you ask what I can do more this year, you will just have to wait until the end of this year’s season to see»

100m.jpg

29781_W600XH400.jpg

“Someone has promised me a pleasant surprise” said Minos Kyriakou, the IAAF Council Member, president of Hellenic Olympic Comittee and President of the organising club, Panellinios A.C., of tonight’s Athens Super Grand Prix Tsiklitiria 2005. The comment came yesterday (Monday 13 June) hinting at the possibility of a World record in this year’s edition of the IAAF Super Grand Prix meeting.

Asafa Powell (JAM): «I am very happy that in my second presence here in Greece I achieved this performance. It is amazing that after Maurice Greene, I also achieve a world record in this Stadium and in this marvelous organization. I knew I could break the world record and I am very happy that I succeeded. If you ask what I can do more this year, you will just have to wait until the end of this year’s season to see»

Never heard of this guy!

How much steroids is he taking?

You are kidding yourself is you think he doesn't!

Let see if he can even medal in the World Champs this summer? :D  :cry:

I heard this sick comment about him in the radio early today. This so-called radio guy thinks he's "fat". What was this guy drinking anyway?

100m.jpg

29781_W600XH400.jpg

His coach was mad at him??  :shocked:

Powell Pledges To Run Even Faster

100m.jpg

29781_W600XH400.jpg

Never heard of this guy!

never heard of him? well you obviously dont know much about athletics then.

100m.jpg

29781_W600XH400.jpg

Never heard of this guy!

never heard of him? well you obviously dont know much about athletics then.

Sorry I forgot.

Powell choked in the 100m final after running well in the prelims.

He is still a doper like everyone else.

And as for not knowing anything about athletics, can you tell me who ran the first leg for the USSR 4 x 100m relay team in Munich 1972? HINT: he finished 4th to Borzov in the open 100m. Who finished last in that race and went on to win a gold medal 4 years later??SUCKER!! :angry:

I bet Powell would have loved to have run 9.77 in the Olympic final.

The last time a world record in this event in an Olympic Games took place in Atlanta, right?

here is an article that was posted on the melbourne 2006 commonwealth games website!!

World's fastest man to come to Games

Jamaica's Asafa Powell has broken the 100m world record, setting the most glamourous event in athletics a new best time of 9.77 seconds and marking him a firm favourite for the event at next year's Commonwealth Games.

Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games Chairman, Mr Ronald J Walker, was thrilled to hear of the result.

“We believe it has always been Asafa Powell’s intention to compete at the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games, and we look forward to welcoming him here to compete next year.”

Competing at the Athens Super Grand Prix competition, the 22-year-old Jamaican sprinter delivered in spectacular fashion after predicting a fast time. His new mark broke the 9.78 set by American Tim Montgomery in Paris on 14 September 2002.

Mr Powell joined Americans Montgomery (9.78) and Maurice Greene (9.79) as the only athletes to run under 9.80 seconds. But as was shown at Tuesday's event, the new world record holder had the entire field covered after 40 metres and is sure to go even faster.

The Jamaican, who was nominated for the IAAF Male Athlete of the Year Award in 2004, has times of 9.87, 9.91 (twice), 9.93, 9.94, 9.95, 9.98, 9.99 (twice) from last season, a feat previously recorded by Namibian Frankie Fredericks. Namibia is also a Commonwealth nation.

Games organisers were also excited to hear that all but one runner in the field for the event's final were from Commonwealth nations.

“We are pleased to hear that 8 out of the 9 athletes who competed in the World Record breaking 100m final at the Athens Super Grand Prix last night were from Commonwealth nations," Mr Walker said.

"Next year’s Commonwealth Games 100m final at the MCG will be a great event for all Australians to witness.”

In personal best times, Commonwealth sprinters Aziz Zakari of Ghana was second in 9.99, and Michael Frater of Jamaica was third in 10.0.

Certainly the top Americans were not there, but at last year's Athens Olympics four of the eight finalists were Commonwealth sprinters, and at the world championships in Paris in 2003 it was six out of eight.

At the same meet, Sherone Simpson made it a Jamaican sweep in the short sprint, clocking 11.15 to capture the women's 100m.

I wonder if he's going to be carrying the Queen's Baton in Jamaica later on. In any case, I guess he will have to prepare himself for Helsinki to prove to the athletics world that this previous run at Athens was no fluke.

• 1 month later...
Now that he won't be in the World Athletics Championships, some people may start questioning how this world-record time was achieved.

• 9 months later...

Talk about not holding on to the world record title for long. Now that Justin Gatlin is the Olympic champion, world champion and the new world record holder of the 100m, it will be interesting on how he is going to be protrayed in the international sporting world. On top of that, he did it in Doha, Qatar, where this year's Asian Summer Games is going to be held in December.

Gatlin Breaks 100m World Record

Magnificent. I'm always stunned that it's still possible to surpass the 100 m record (and I very much hope that it's also possible without doping). And I ask myself where the barrier is -- that means, which time is the absolute minimum a runner can achieve. Will it be 9.70? Or 9.60? Anyway, I don't expect that it will be ever possible to run under 9 seconds.

Archived