POLL: Where should the IOC meet in 2009?

nykfan845

Cairo would be a refreshing choice, but I think Copenhagen would be good (especially for "...salty old queens of the sea..." of which there are many).  I think that big IOC meetings like this should be awarded to cities that stand very little chance of hosting an Olympics themselves - at least they can be involved in an Olympic experience.  It often seemed to be the case before that countries who wanted to host future games would try to host one of the conventions first, I hope they only award from now on to nations with remote Olympic aspirations.  

Singapore did an excellent job - it was almost considered the sixth city in the 2012 campaign and showed that the city that holds the conventions is getting more and more important in the eyes of the media.

Cairo would be a refreshing choice, but I think Copenhagen would be good (especially for "...salty old queens of the sea..." of which there are many).  I think that big IOC meetings like this should be awarded to cities that stand very little chance of hosting an Olympics themselves - at least they can be involved in an Olympic experience.  It often seemed to be the case before that countries who wanted to host future games would try to host one of the conventions first, I hope they only award from now on to nations with remote Olympic aspirations.  

Singapore did an excellent job - it was almost considered the sixth city in the 2012 campaign and showed that the city that holds the conventions is getting more and more important in the eyes of the media.

Singapore and Copenhagen has something in common. Both of them are considered two of the "best eight cities in the world" to hold international conventions.

Has a North American City ever hosted this?   Toronto should bid to host one sometime.  Certainly would be a great way for the IOC members to get to know the city for a future Olympic Bid.

I think I'm right in saying that they will be meeting in Vancouver in 2010 while they're there for the games.  I'd prefer if they only chose a city in countries with little opportunity or few aspirations to hold an Olympics - Guatemala City for example.

Has a North American City ever hosted this?   Toronto should bid to host one sometime.  Certainly would be a great way for the IOC members to get to know the city for a future Olympic Bid.

What Stu has said in his post. As part of hosting an Olympic Games (winter or summer), the IOC Session is part of the package. In Canada's case, of course, was Montreal 1976 and Calgary 1988. Vancouver will have it in 2010. It is the odd years that some NOCs really want to host an IOC Session because of the host-city announcement for upcoming Olympic Games.

Around the Rings claims that the 2009 IOC Session host city race is coming down to Busan, Copenhagen and Mexico City.

It claims that Mexico City is the most attractive city, but has security problems. Busan and Copenhagen have virtually flawless bids.

All of the other cities pose security and accomodatation concers. Also, Athens and Singapore has hosted sessions too recently.

Around the Rings claims that the 2009 IOC Session host city race is coming down to Busan, Copenhagen and Mexico City.

It claims that Mexico City is the most attractive city, but has security problems. Busan and Copenhagen have virtually flawless bids.

And now apparently Mexico City is out?

This is from the front page at Around the rings

Mexico City Out For Olympics Meetings

January 23, 2006

(ATR) The race to host the 2009 IOC Session and Olympic Congress is now down to eight cities following Mexico City's decision not to continue with a bid, Around the Rings has learned.  

----

Im not a member of the site, so i cant read more about it. Perhaps somone can?

By the way, do we know the exact day they will announce it. So far I have just heard sometime during the winter olympic...

It'll be announced at the conclusion of the IOC meetings, so probably Feb. 8 or 9 - a day before Opening.

OK, it can't be Busan because: (1) they just had Singapore last year; (2) it'll be Beijing in 2008; (3) Tokyo, a neigbor, seems to be a serious bidder for 2016; and (4) Busan has ulterior motives of wanting to host someday.  So that is always suspect.  

So, this is a no-brainer, it will be Wonderful Copenhagen which (it or Denmark) hasn't done anything Olympic pow-wow-wise in the last 50 or so years.

Too bad for Mexico City. However, in this poll, I voted for Copenhagen and it looks like it could be the winner. But, we all know that is uncertain because we don't know what the IOC may be really thinking here.

By the way, do we know the exact day they will announce it. So far I have just heard sometime during the winter olympic...

It'll be announced at the conclusion of the IOC meetings, so probably Feb. 8 or 9 - a day before Opening.

OK, it can't be Busan because: (1) they just had Singapore last year; (2) it'll be Beijing in 2008; (3) Tokyo, a neigbor, seems to be a serious bidder for 2016; and (4) Busan has ulterior motives of wanting to host someday.  So that is always suspect.  

So, this is a no-brainer, it will be Wonderful Copenhagen which (it or Denmark) hasn't done anything Olympic pow-wow-wise in the last 50 or so years.

Athens couldn't be either because of the 2004 OG, Singapore has hosted the session in 2005

Riga is too small, Cairo is too risky, Lausanne has accomodation problems

That leaves us to Copenhagen and Mexico City

I think it will be Copenhagen

That leaves us to Copenhagen and Mexico City

Mexico City has dropped out of the race.

That's what I'm saying - Copenhagen is the most probable winner

It didn't seem like you knew in the post before.

I just wrote it wrong, I knew that pretty well :)

• 2 weeks later...
WOOOO-HOOOOO!   I (and the 17 others who voted for C) were right!!  By a process of educated and RATIONAL (are you listening, islam?) :glare: thinking, (I) we were able to pick the right city.  This is a total vindication over the insane, hooligan forces in islamic countries -- and funny that smelly, stinky Cairo would come in a distant second.

WOOOO-HOOOOO!   I (and the 17 others who voted for C) were right!!  By a process of educated and RATIONAL (are you listening, islam?) :glare: thinking, (I) we were able to pick the right city.  This is a total vindication over the insane, hooligan forces in islamic countries -- and funny that smelly, stinky Cairo would come in a distant second.

Yeah, we are all pretty happy over here. Though i guess that fact that it came down to Copenhagen vs. Cairo, a city that everyone said was not a frontrunner, does indicate that the drawings may have played a role in the voting....

Archived