POLL: Where should the IOC meet in 2009?

nykfan845

POLL OF THE WEEK!!!   Vote your heart out.  

My guess would be Europe since:

2005 - Singapore, Asia - that cuts them out for 2009

2006 - Turin, E.

2007 - Guatemala - that cuts out Mexico City

2008 - Already meeting in Beijing; so that cuts out Taiwan and Busan  (don't these people think?)

So for 2009, that leaves Athens, (and as I suspected) Copenhagen, Lausanne and Riga.  My guess is either Copenhagen or Riga.  I vote for MADRID!!   :wwww:  OK, Kobenhaven.  I've always liked that city.  Besides, Kobenhaven has a wonderful theme song:

"Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen

Salty old queen of the sea...

Once I sailed away

Now I'm home today

Singing "Copenhagen, Copenhagen

Beautiful old home for me!"

-words and music by Frank Loesser from his show "Hans Christian Andersen"

Cairo would be an excellent choice.

It would encourage many "new frontier" cities to bid for the Olympics in the future.

It is also "different" if you know what I mean. A welcome change.

But they WILL have to do some high security, I am afraid.

it doesn't matter that the previous Olympic congresses were in Europe - the IOC is a eurocentric organization and it would far easier to convene in a European city than in a city away from the principle headquaters in Lausaune and Zurich

i would love to see the congress in Taipei though, or Copenhagen

If anything, this may ne a clue to the bidding intentions of the US.

Remember, the country which hosts that session is disqualified from the bid process.

Maybe this tells us that the USOC is still planning to bid for 2016.

If anything, this may ne a clue to the bidding intentions of the US.

Remember, the country which hosts that session is disqualified from the bid process.

Maybe this tells us that the USOC is still planning to bid for 2016.

It's not THAT difficult to read.  The IOC has an inkling of who will be the serious bidders beforehand.

The atmosphere in Cairo will be incomparable! A mix of African/Arabian city, Cairo is fantastic!
Again, as I posted in another topic, what are the chances of Busan hosting both IOC Session and Congress for 2009?
Zilch.  The IOC would've just met in Beijing in 2008.  And in 2 years, we will know if PyongChang wins 2014.  If PY does win, why should the IOC meet in Busan when they will convene again 5 years later in PC?

Exactly, for once I totally agree with you :upside:

I'd just say Riga. The meetings are really just chances for smaller countries who probably have no chance of hosting an OGs anytime soon to shine.

That's really not a good enough reason to be awarded an IOC Congress.

Guatemala City, baron...  :cool:

Guatemala City, baron...  :cool:

I believe Guatemala came in as runner-up in the 2005 choice.  There will be no 2014 Winter candidates bidding from North America so Guatemala is neutral territory.  GC has this brand new Marriott resort complex just waiting to show off and host a prestigious international event.  So GC would be the obvious choice for 2007.

Riga might be a good safe city, but Copenhagen has the fantastic new Opera House -- and the IOC likes to see itself in those glorious new settings.  Not to mention the fact that Denmark still has a Royal family who will of course show up and 'bless' the IOC proceedings.  The IOC still has a few royals in positions of power, and we all know how Samaranch loves to kiss 'royal' ass.  Latvia doesn't have any royals.  So Copenhagen does have the edge.

I'd just say Riga. The meetings are really just chances for smaller countries who probably have no chance of hosting an OGs anytime soon to shine.

Yeah, I think so. Big countries like Russia has hosted IOC Sessions (Moscow 2001). :blush:

Yeah, I think so. Big countries like Russia has hosted IOC Sessions (Moscow 2001). :blush:

Thank you for proving my point!

Moscow! A city with NO HOPE of hosting an OGs ANYTIME soon.  :wwww:  :wwww:  :wwww:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Geez. Is Chinese Taipei (Taiwan) trying to be the "country of the year" in 2009? Going after the two 2009 IOC meetings after the fact that Taipei is going to host the Deaflympics and Kaoshiung the World Games in the SAME YEAR? This is much to me.

They're a little greedy aren't they?

#1 - I don't think the mainland NOC would be crazy about it; and

#2 - Other than Europe, no 2 consecutive SOG-host-picking IOC Session have been held in the same region.  I mean, everyone just convened in Singapore this past July.  And what, Taipeh's like a 2-hour flight away?   :rolleyes:

They're a little greedy aren't they?

#1 - I don't think the mainland NOC would be crazy about it; and

#2 - Other than Europe, no 2 consecutive SOG-host-picking IOC Session have been held in the same region.  I mean, everyone just convened in Singapore this past July.  And what, Taipeh's like a 2-hour flight away?   :rolleyes:

Don't forget, since Beijing is hosting the 2008 Olympic and Paralympic Games, it hosts an IOC Session for that year, too. They come together in a single package.

Archived