New Poll Shows 73 Percent In France Support Paris 2024 Olympic Bid

GBModerator

A poll released Sunday reveals 73 percent across France support Paris’ bid to host the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Of those polled 30 percent said they gave full support to the project while 43 percent said they were somewhat supportive; 26 percent said they opposed the bid. The survey, conducted by Odoxa for RTL radio […]

View the full article

18 minutes ago, FYI said:

Well, according to you, no one in L.A. even knows, or cares, that the city is bidding. So 30% "full" support is actually quite impressive in comparison then.

...listen, the lower the support the more fun it's gonna be watching them maneuver through the budget crisis and issues that arise. I think folks in LA are hearing more about the bid,it's on the news now and again, but i still maintain nobody here is thinking much about it. i just think in Paris there was such devastation abuot the loses that people maybe feel more excited that this is their chance for redemption.....in LA they bid all the time, they have lost many times and nobody feel particularly butt-hurt about it like in Paris.

1 hour ago, paul said:

only 30% in all of France gave full support to the project!?.......harsh. 

No, not harsh.  More like realistic.  Less you have a definition of what "full support" is.  Because if they asked that question in LA, I'm betting that number would be a hell of a lot less than the 88% number that has been offered up.

1 hour ago, paul said:

...listen, the lower the support the more fun it's gonna be watching them maneuver through the budget crisis and issues that arise. I think folks in LA are hearing more about the bid,it's on the news now and again, but i still maintain nobody here is thinking much about it. i just think in Paris there was such devastation abuot the loses that people maybe feel more excited that this is their chance for redemption.....in LA they bid all the time, they have lost many times and nobody feel particularly butt-hurt about it like in Paris.

That's a pretty awful equivalence you're trying to create there.  Paris lost 3 times having put a bid in to the IOC, and that includes 1 very rigged election.  LA hasn't had 1 of those losses since the 1970s, less you're going to say that them not getting selected by the USOC counts as a loss.  Not the same.  So yea, I can understand where some folks in Paris are seeing another bid and don't know any better that they probably are going to win this one.  Contrast that to LA where they haven't gone through what Paris has dealt with.  In short.. Paris has suffered from poorly timed bids.  LA is the opposite.. they seem to show up in the right place and time and those other bids are then quickly forgotten about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

No, not harsh.  More like realistic.  Less you have a definition of what "full support" is.  Because if they asked that question in LA, I'm betting that number would be a hell of a lot less than the 88% number that has been offered up.

Not only that, but also in political and social polls, in Europe they make a full difference between "full support" and "support" and "agree", while in Americas (For example USA, Brazil) both definitions are linked on the same ground. As you said, this is more realistic, but not surprising for the previous derail.

4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

That's a pretty awful equivalence you're trying to create there.  Paris lost 3 times having put a bid in to the IOC, and that includes 1 very rigged election.  LA hasn't had 1 of those losses since the 1970s, less you're going to say that them not getting selected by the USOC counts as a loss.  Not the same.  So yea, I can understand where some folks in Paris are seeing another bid and don't know any better that they probably are going to win this one.  Contrast that to LA where they haven't gone through what Paris has dealt with. 

And that's not the first time that paul has made that awful equivalence. He's (inaccurately) counting all of those USOC nomination losses as a "full-fledge bids" & that "L.A. has lost more times than Paris", when in reality, that's not the case whatsoever.

L.A. has never really been through the final IOC votes as Paris has. And for all his talk that L.A. doesn't really care one way or the other, that may well be because L.A. has never been on the international campaign up close & personal until now.

Plus, the two times L.A. got the Olympics was by default, & the last time was not that long ago by Olympic standards. So of course they're not going to be as "butthurt" & sensative about it as Paris is. Because they already know what it's like to host a Games in recent memory.

But what can be said, is that in L.A.'s case though, we can definitely say that they're "desperate". Always wanting & willing to be the USOC's caddy the last number of domestic cycles, & even settle for being second fiddle when Boston 2024 blew up all over the USOC's face. But none of that though counts as official bids presented to the IOC.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2017 at 6:45 PM, FYI said:

And that's not the first time that paul has made that awful equivalence. He's (inaccurately) counting all of those USOC nomination losses as a "full-fledge bids" & that "L.A. has lost more times than Paris", when in reality, that's not the case whatsoever.

L.A. has never really been through the final IOC votes as Paris has. And for all his talk that L.A. doesn't really care one way or the other, that may well be because L.A. has never been on the international campaign up close & personal until now.

Plus, the two times L.A. got the Olympics was by default, & the last time was not that long ago by Olympic standards. So of course they're not going to be as "butthurt" & sensative about it as Paris is. Because they already know what it's like to host a Games in recent memory.

But what can be said, is that in L.A.'s case though, we can definitely say that they're "desperate". Always wanting & willing to be the USOC's caddy the last number of domestic cycles, & even settle for being second fiddle when Boston 2024 blew up all over the USOC's face. But none of that though counts as official bids presented to the IOC.

I wouldn't say that.  I don't think "desperate" is the word you're looking for..

des·per·ate

1. feeling, showing, or involving a hopeless sense that a situation is so bad as to be impossible to deal with.
    "a desperate sadness enveloped Ruth"
      despairing, hopeless; More
    • (of an act or attempt) tried in despair or when everything else has failed; having little hope of success.
      "drugs used in a desperate attempt to save his life"
        last-ditch, last-gasp, eleventh-hour, do-or-die, final; More
    • (of a situation) extremely bad, serious, or dangerous.
      "there is a desperate shortage of teachers"
        grave, serious, critical, acute, risky, precarious; More

Does that sound like a description of LA?  Hopelessness?  Despair?  An extremely bad situation?  Doesn't sound like LA's Olympic pursuit to me

Not to get into semantics here because I think we look at LA in the same vein.  Always wanting and willing to bid is the perfect description for them.  That's not desperation though.  That's them gradually inching closer to the prize and here they are likely on the verge of getting awarded an Olympics.  Sounds more like "dedication" to me, to stay with it after all these years where other cities have given it a shot, failed to succeed, and given up.  And yes, the irony is not lost on the situation that the city that got to host 2 Olympics without defeating another city in a bid is probably going to get their 3rd Olympics in a similar fashion.

To me, the analogy still should be the kid in class who always raises his hand hoping the teacher will call on him.  And the teacher looks to everyone else in class and no one has the right answer, so then it's "alright LA, give us the answer."  Maybe you could say there's a little "desperation" there, but after getting passed over 3 times, here they are closer than any other city since Atlanta to landing an Olympics.  By the end of 2028, I doubt too many people will care how the previous 25 years played out, where New York tried and failed.  Then Chicago tried and failed.  Then Boston tried and went up in flames.  And there laying in wait the whole time was LA who of course was there for the USOC at the right time and place.

^Sigh, I only used the word "desperate" (that's why I had it in quotations) bcuz who were we talking about there (especially if they wanna incorrectly talk about that L.A. has bid & lost more times than Paris)? Because you should know as well as I that he & a couple of other L.A. cohorts, are always labeling Paris as "desperate", unless you happen to agree with them on their assertion.

I would also call Paris "dedicated" rather than "desperate". Being able to come back once again, stronger than ever, after several losses & the last one being very close. But of course all of that gets lost on paul & it's easier for him to just call the French "arrogant & desperate" & that "L.A. has bid & lost more times than Paris" (which you also agree is an awful comparison on his part) bcuz then that makes L.A. "look better" through his one-sided spectacles. So perhaps you need to run by the definition of "desperate" to paul, since he's the one that uses the word loosely in this entire race. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FYI said:

^Sigh, I only used the word "desperate" (that's why I had it in quotations) bcuz who were we talking about there (especially if they wanna incorrectly talk about that L.A. has bid & lost more times than Paris)? Because you should know as well as I that he & a couple of other L.A. cohorts, are always labeling Paris as "desperate", unless you happen to agree with them on their assertion.

I would also call Paris "dedicated" rather than "desperate". Being able to come back once again, stronger than ever, after several losses & the last one being very close. But of course all of that gets lost on paul & it's easier for him to just call the French "arrogant & desperate" & that "L.A. has bid & lost more times than Paris" (which you also agree is an awful comparison on his part) bcuz then that makes L.A. "look better" through his one-sided spectacles. So perhaps you need to run by the definition of "desperate" to paul, since he's the one that uses the word loosely in this entire race. 

Sigh, I hate this site so much sometimes.

Nevermind

Given the uncertainty and growing cynicism about Olympic bids these days, 73% in favour is a pretty good result even if most of it is qualified rather than total. All things considered and with the full backing of a youthful and charismatic, Blair-like new young president, everything is looking good for Paris 2024!!! :)

• Like 1