What's new in the program for 2008?

What about shooting??

I thought it suffered a cut of 2 events... did they reverse that decision?

Also, in sailing there are some changes of classes... Neal Pryde will be the sailboard for men and women and Laser Radial the singles dinghi for women.

What about shooting??

I thought it suffered a cut of 2 events... did they reverse that decision?

Also, in sailing there are some changes of classes... Neal Pryde will be the sailboard for men and women and Laser Radial the singles dinghi for women.

i know that womens double trap shooting has been dropped from the games

BMX cycling has been added at the cost of the Women's 500m track time trial and the Men's 1km track time trial.

If I'm right, Victoria, BC, Canada, will have the world championships in 2007. In it, we could see how those BMXers may perform at Beijing 2008.

BMX shouldn't be in the olympics, espeically at the expense of two traditional cycling racers. this is disgraceful, they should be taking out syncro and rhymic gymnastics

BMX and other "extreme" sports are BOOMING in popularity. Europe, Asia, Oceania (more obviously Australia and New Zealand), and of course North America have many of their own parks, competition and team franchises, etc.

"Traditional" cycling isn't participated in by as many people anymore, and furthermore BMX and other such sports do far more to promote the legacy for youth in sport than a velodrome does.

Keeping in synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics is necessary to promote variety in sports and ensure that the number of medalling events aren't unnecessarily lumped into one discipline that doesn't match its level of popularity. Many nations compete in athletics and aquatics, so they have many medalling events. Only a few participate in badminton so they have just a handful of events, etc.

BMX shouldn't be in the olympics, espeically at the expense of two traditional cycling racers. this is disgraceful, they should be taking out syncro and rhymic gymnastics

i dont think that it is a good idea either adding BMX for Sprint track cycling, the track cycling if definately more explosive than BMX

Anyone have a copy of the Atlanta 1996 closing ceremony? Why do I have a feeling that a part of that ceremony will be in Beijing 2008, when it comes to BMX here?

• 3 weeks later...
They should add this to Beijing 2008....

37417060oLWlfF_ph.jpg

Dragon Boat Racing

Won't happen. Chinese Taipei, I think, will do it instead for the 2009 World Games. From what I heard, this idea really angered BOCOG and the Chinese government.

didn't Seoul do something like that (dragon boats) in their OC

Nope. I think it was the case of rowing the Olympic Flame down the Han River toward Seoul at opening day, along with the parachuting of the Olympic colors above the Olympic Stadium then.

• 2 months later...
Anyone have a copy of the Atlanta 1996 closing ceremony? Why do I have a feeling that a part of that ceremony will be in Beijing 2008, when it comes to BMX here?

I thought at the Atlanta opening ceremony they had a few ramps arranged in a miniature skate part and had skateboarders, bladers, and bmxers doing synchronized tricks or something.

Keeping in synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics is necessary to promote variety in sports and ensure that the number of medalling events aren't unnecessarily lumped into one discipline that doesn't match its level of popularity.

And let's not forget the IOC's commitment to maintain or achieve gender equity in its Olympic sports program. Synchronized swimming may leave a lot to desired as a sport, but omitting it would leave a greater imbalance in the eyes of the IOC, especially when the medalists' nations in that sport happen to be heavy players in the Olympic program.

Archived