Towering Inferno

46 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

My thoughts and prayers have been with the victims of the Grenfell tragedy from last night.  Condolences to the survivors.  

(And I went to see THE MUMMY in the P.m., and London was again pummeled in that one.)

Are our London/UK friends OK? 

This time, I think perhaps we really are reeling. The only way this could have happened is if somebody ignored regulations and/or warnings.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2017 at 7:12 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

My thoughts and prayers have been with the victims of the Grenfell tragedy from last night.  Condolences to the survivors.  

(And I went to see THE MUMMY in the P.m., and London was again pummeled in that one.)

Are our London/UK friends OK? 

Critics panned that film. I was surprised they even revived that franchise it wasn't that popular when it first came out. Did you like it?

And yea Hollywood has a habit of destroying major cities around the world. Avengers did it to New York, as well as others. And there is of course London Has Fallen.

On 6/14/2017 at 8:01 AM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

This time, I think perhaps we really are reeling. The only way this could have happened is if somebody ignored regulations and/or warnings.

Someone who lived there was very blunt in saying he believed regulations were ignored to push families out of the building so they can sell the property for a profit. Apparently there is an increased interest in the area to develop it into a more modern higher cost of living area.

15 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Someone who lived there was very blunt in saying he believed regulations were ignored to push families out of the building so they can sell the property for a profit. Apparently there is an increased interest in the area to develop it into a more modern higher cost of living area.

That's an unlikely reason for ignoring fire regulations. As details emerge, it seems more likely that individual regulations were followed in recent renovations to the spartan but basically sound building, but the overall intent of the regulations as a whole was ignored. For example the notorious cladding would not have been such a problem on its own if the windows had still been in their original positions, bedded into the fireproof concrete walls. However, plans show that the new windows were bedded into the cladding, meaning that if it caught fire, flames would rise behind the windows, immediately igniting curtains etc.

Similarly, there have been claims that, separately, a new pipe for the main gas supply was installed within the shaft housing the emergency stairs. That is permissible if the pipe meets fire specifications, but only as a last resort- ideally there should be no potentially hazardous services up an emergency stairwell except electricity (needed for emergency lighting).

• Like 1

:(:angry: Seeing those annoying two words beginning to appear - "Systemic Failure"... Politicians love using them. Blame will be pointed at anyone involved in approving the full refit of this building - yet will find nothing wrong. It was refurbished to correct code, including moved pipe works, and cladding.  

You can now see the focus will be around this cladding material. Other countries going through a similar tower block building boom have banned this method of cladding in construction BUT the material used is permissible in correct use. 

Also a fire prevention covering was recommended (but not demanded) to be used at an extra quid in cost per sheet. This is where the focus of inquiry will lean. 

• 2 months later...