Regional or compact bids

What do you think is better in terms of regional or compact bids for a summer games?  Atlanta, with venues in Columbus, Tennessee, Athens, and Savannah was largely regional.  Lately, it seems the IOC prefers bids that are more concentrated in one area perhaps to cut down on the risk of transportation problems.  Also, with the trend towards more compact bids, does anyone think that regional bids, like Atlanta, are a thing of the past?

I think you missed the point I was trying to get at.  Yes venues are picked accordingly as to what's practical and feasible.  However, in terms of what the IOC is looking for, it appears there's a trend to choose host cities that have many of the venues (outside of soccer prelims) in a concentrated area.  I believe this what set New York's bid apart from San Francisco when the USOC was going through the selection process.

Yes, I think 'compactness' is definitely a strong factor.  However, there's also the quality of the venues and access to them.  Also, you can't have too many of them too close together because you are bound to have gridlock -- and in terms of security -- a whole mob of people is just a magnet for suicide bombers.  

So I would say, the farther out they are, the better.  But that's just me.  And as Roltel said, it's really not overlaid as a 'regional' Games.  They have to be anchored by a "(CITY) Games; and the rest just happen to be where a lake or the sea or the mountains are.  It's not conceived as being in a 'region.'

Archived