Jump to content

Who will light the Paris cauldron in 2024?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

WHY? What are you smoking?  Right now, based on summer sports -- if they don't have a Tour de France winner in 2023 or 2024, it's probably going to be:

1.  if Les Bleu win in Qatar, then it might be the French team; or
2.  Kevin Mayer just won his 2nd world Championships decathlon title in Oregon22; or
3.  volleyball player Earvin Engapeth and/or his Les Bleus team since they just won the 2022 VNL tournament; if they win the World Championships later in the year, then they might be a lock to light the 2024 cauldron.
4. Let's see who the French medalists, if any, will be in the Budapest 23 World Athletics Games.  

As for women, and since the French are a weird lot, unless there is also a French Nobel Prize winner by summer 2024, it could be:
1. Beijing 2022 Ice Dancers * gold medal winners Gabriella Papadakis and partner Guillaume Cizeron.  

Or, they could pick a 3-generation French family who has sent Olympians to at least 3 Olympics.  

So it would be one of or a combination of any of the above -- not some mysterious woman.  I was right on the money with Naomi Osaka for Tokyo, ya know.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2022 at 6:10 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

1.  if Les Bleu win in Qatar, then it might be the French team; or

 

 

If I know the French, and I think I do B), they're not going to let any overpaid footbaler light the sacred flame of Olympia. No matter how good they may score in Qatar. You can skip them from the list. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, fusilli said:

If I know the French, and I think I do B), they're not going to let any overpaid footbaler light the sacred flame of Olympia. No matter how good they may score in Qatar. You can skip them from the list. 

Not even if they are twice world champions in 2022?, in the world of football a back to back FIFA world cup champions is an almost impossible task (due to the champions curse), so that would be a well deserved right to light the cauldron. And now imagine if france also wins 2023 womens world cup so a male and a female (for example the captains or the MVP's) are the cauldron lighters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chris_Mex said:

Not even if they are twice world champions in 2022?, in the world of football a back to back FIFA world cup champions is an almost impossible task (due to the champions curse), so that would be a well deserved right to light the cauldron. And now imagine if france also wins 2023 womens world cup so a male and a female (for example the captains or the MVP's) are the cauldron lighters

you can see France, one of the most successfull olympic team on planet, letting an overpaid player from the most exposed and not-so-olympic sport light the cauldron in these days? What about the others?

Even crazy-for-football-Milan wouldn't dare so. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Q: you can see France, one of the most successfull olympic team on planet, letting an overpaid player from the most exposed and not-so-olympic sport light the cauldron in these days? 

 

It's a French ceremony, it is just as likely all the performers will be painted pink, dressed as alien fairies, farting glitter over the crowd. Or something equally bizarre!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, fusilli said:

If I know the French, and I think I do B), they're not going to let any overpaid footbaler light the sacred flame of Olympia. No matter how good they may score in Qatar. You can skip them from the list. 

You DON'T know the French.  Not only did Michel Platini light the Albertville 92 cauldron, but at Grenoble 68, when they relit the flame inside the Palais des Sports (I think that's what it's called) -- even after it had been lit at the OC by the skater Alain Camat, they had a local wrestling champion light the flame again inside only to extinguish it at the end of Closing.  So, fusili, you DON'T know the French at all.  ANd not with crazy estanguet at the head of the COJO.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Q: you can see France, one of the most successfull olympic team on planet, letting an overpaid player from the most exposed and not-so-olympic sport light the cauldron in these days? 

 

It's a French ceremony, it is just as likely all the performers will be painted pink, dressed as alien fairies, farting glitter over the crowd. Or something equally bizarre!

yeah but this is the cauldron lighting we're talking. They may do every extravaganza they want with ceremonies and all but they don't want to mess with the highest point of all with some footballer showcase. These are not the '90 anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, fusilli said:

you can see France, one of the most successfull olympic team on planet, letting an overpaid player from the most exposed and not-so-olympic sport light the cauldron in these days?

 

not-so-olympic sport, where do we define if an sport is or not is olympic? Football is in the olympic programme since paris.....1900, and its literally the most popular, played, and watched sport on the planet. And also how do we define if a player is "overpaid"?, if you dont like football is respectable, everyone has their own likes but appart from that why wouldn't a footballer be righfull of litting the cauldron

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, fusilli said:

yeah but this is the cauldron lighting we're talking. They may do every extravaganza they want with ceremonies and all but they don't want to mess with the highest point of all with some footballer showcase. These are not the '90 anymore. 

What are you talking about?  Precisely, becuz it's the high dramatic point of the evening, then they usually pick the hottest sports star(s) of the nation.  And, as I said, short of a French winner for the 2023/4 Tour de France, the Les Bleus teams of volleyball and soccer are prime candidates.  And this "20 - 30 years' ago" thing doesn't count.  The Miracle on Ice US team won in 1980, yet they were picked to light the Salt Lake 2002 cauldron.  Also, by the way, NBC will probably have input on the matter, as they did with several of the Final Lighting choices.  

As for "overpaid," if the football Les Bleus are picked, it's for the honor they have brought to France -- not for being overpaid in their professional capacities.  It's OK to be paid outside of the Olympics these days, if you haven't noticed.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Chris_Mex said:

not-so-olympic sport, where do we define if an sport is or not is olympic? Football is in the olympic programme since paris.....1900, and its literally the most popular, played, and watched sport on the planet. And also how do we define if a player is "overpaid"?, if you dont like football is respectable, everyone has their own likes but appart from that why wouldn't a footballer be righfull of litting the cauldron

ok i see that but this is not about me not liking footbal, which I actually enjoy.. this is more about giving other less exposed -but just as worthy- sport a chance to be spotted for such an occasion. And France sure doesn't lack in sport variety.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Like who?  If it's not "dreamers" (like in London 2012), then it's a gold medal-winning name in a recognizable (hopefully "summer") Olympic sport -- or if a French person wins a Nobel Prize in fall 2023, in something truly revolutionary and they are fit to carry the torch, that's a possiblity.  It has to be someone who's made it in the pinnacle of their field.  

Personally, for me, if there are descendants of Alfred Dreyfus and/or Emile Zola and they have lived non-controversial lives as exemplary French citizens by the time July 2024 rolls around, I would consider them.  You don't know the resonances such a move would have for France's raison d'etre.   It will all depend on how many bodies they can pack in that first level of the Eiffel together with the TV crews and other staffers.  

(Logistically, if it's too complicated to put the cauldron inside the Eiffel, I think they will consider the Beach Volleyball venue which is right there in the Champs des Mars -- in line of the Trocadero, and is a legit Olympic venue.  That would be a secondary location for me.)  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...