Who will light the Paris cauldron in 2024?

Maybe could be two people based on gender equality. Possibly three time Olympic gold medalist Teddy Riner (Judo) [London 2012, Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020] and Olympic Gold medalist Anne-Caroline Chausson (BMX) [Beijing 2008].

• Like 1

A French-Ukrainian athlete perhaps? 

Jean-Loop Chretien, the first French astronaut?  

I think it will be a cousin of mine ;) -- a 5th generation descendant of de Coubertin.  What could be more appropriate than honoring the memory of the man who re-started it all -- and he was French?  As a matter of fact, they might even coincide the start of the Paris 2024 Torch Relay with the transfer of his heart in Olympia, back to his grave in Lausanne -- and then do that bodyless "internment" ceremony at the Pantheon in Paris.  

Or M. Estanguet will grab all the honor for himself??  :wacko:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

9 hours ago, fusilli said:

A hint to start the ball rolling..

French-athletes-formidable-Tokyo2020

^^ Men's Volley gold was kinda epic for them B)

If you read my previous posts, I NOTED that before -- esp. their star, Earvin Ngapeth.  So, yes the French men's team is the defending Olympic champion.  They beat Team USA at the recently concluded VNL tournament.  Now, they will have to battle for the World Title this Sept-October.  And then 1 more VNL next year.  If they win all of those, then, for sure, Ngapeth and this teammates are top candidates to light the flame.  

But I think Estanguet & Co. might go for lighters covering 3 fields: 
- body, so sports (whomever is hot at the moment);
- mind (the French consider themselves very
intellectual, so they might draft a modern-day Sartre or Beauvoir; a person of letters or an academician: and
- spirit -- so somebody from a historic family. (a Dreyfus, a Costeau or a de Coubertin descendant... 

3 fields representing the 3x Paris has hosted and l'humain complet.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

20 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

A French-Ukrainian athlete perhaps? 

Jean-Loop Chretien, the first French astronaut?  

I think it will be a cousin of mine ;) -- a 5th generation descendant of de Coubertin.  What could be more appropriate than honoring the memory of the man who re-started it all -- and he was French?  As a matter of fact, they might even coincide the start of the Paris 2024 Torch Relay with the transfer of his heart in Olympia, back to his grave in Lausanne -- and then do that bodyless "internment" ceremony at the Pantheon in Paris.  

Or M. Estanguet will grab all the honor for himself??  :wacko:

I don't know if Tony Estanguet could do that since he's the organizing committee president.

See the source image

Sigh.  You really don't get the tenor of this forum, do you?  I'm NOT telling Paris 2024 WHAT to do.  Like most of what the regulars here post, I was merely postulating what course of action Paris 2024 might take.  It is GUESTIMATING -- educated guessing.  If it happens -- and it's because they picked it up here - FINE. SUPER. WONDERFUL -- and of course, they would rarely give credit where credit is due.  If they don't, then so what?  The post wasn't FORMALLY directed at them. 

And yes, when I say that ". . . this is how I would do it," or "if I were them, . . . " I am UNDER NO ILLUSION WHATSOEVER that (1) they probably discount what pops up on the internet; and (2) they didn't ask for input from me -- and will do whatever it is they plan to do anyway. 

Sigh.  Did I really have to explain that to you??  :rolleyes:  Are you even 17? 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

18 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

- mind (the French consider themselves very intellectual, so they might draft a modern-day Sartre or Beauvoir; a person of letters or an academician: and

Well, yes. And this does'nt match much with them picking a marketing superstar kicker to light their first summer olympics since 100 yrs. 

5 hours ago, fusilli said:

Well, yes. And this does'nt match much with them picking a marketing superstar kicker to light their first summer olympics since 100 yrs. 

What's with you and your BLATANT antipathy to the French paying their football players well? Were you cut off?  As if the French are the only ones doing it? It's called "free-market" economics, in case you hadn't heard. 

Your bias is showing.  Get over it!!  You and Sports shouldn't even be in this discussion if all you 2 do are TWIST and PERVERT the flow of discussion.  I can put you on MY IGNORE list, ya know.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Your argument doesn't make sense.  Muhammed Ali was at the top of his earning years when he was chosen to light the Atlanta 1996 cauldron,(Personally, he wasn't my choice -- but that's neither here nor there).  Why do yhou keep bringing up a totally extraneous "disqualification"?  As we've said ad inifintum, they usually pick the hottest athlete of the moment or the season--regardless of their earning capacity. 

Would be so opposed if it were an "over-paid" tennis star of cyclist (who would have to be French, of course, to be considered for the honor to light the cauldon)?   Or are you just ticked off by football players?  :blink:

I try to understand your objection but to the topic at hand, it's really a WTF argument??  :wacko:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

^^for the 3rd or 4th time (and also for the joy of discussion :wacko:) what's so unreasonable about my previous statements?

1_ a woman lighting the cauldron. Well, their promotions so far have been clearly lady targeted. Logo, handover, Marianne and so many others feminine references to France in general. If they keep this way, well, I can see a lady athlete as the final torch bearer and it's not like they lack in that category.

2_ Football player lighting the cauldron. As mentioned before, not only they already did it but also considering their variety in different sports achievements -and French cultural approach to their celebrations- I think they might rather consider other disciplines not so all-the-time exposed but equally deserving the spot that night. Footbal already got so manies during the year + the great World Cup.

And I bet even Milan's OC team would think twice before going with football star over their proud winter tradition. And it's not about hating football players. 

And if someone may feel offended or too sensitive about all above, remember it's just opinions. Decently argued, I think. :huh:

/\/\ Final women lighters are not a new idea either.  

Mexico 1968 = 1st time w/ Basilio

Innsbruck 1976 - a pair of lighters
Montreal 1976 - a pair (Prefontaine and Henderson)
Sarajevo 1984 - Sandra Bezic, figure skater 
Seoul 1988 - 2 of the 3 teachers were women 

Nagano 1998 - Midori Ito
Sydney 2000 - a WHOLE female affair -- marking the 100th anniversary of women's participation in the OGs 
Torino 2006 - Stefania Belmondo, if I am not mistaken, etc., etc.  

So, I still don't get that being a woman would be that special in the choice for Paris 2024.  I mean been there; done it.  So I really think they would go for something more unique: the tripartite grouping to mark Paris' 3rd time to host -- which would, of course, most definitely include a woman, athlete or otherwise.  Maybe a female descendant of de Coubertin?  

But, as I said, I wouldn't be surprised if Estanguet just grabbed the whole show for himself.  :wacko:   

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I can see a male and female Olympian lighting the cauldron for the frist time ever. Or the Tokyo 2020 (2021) Men's Volleyball team. The last team to light a cauldron was the "Miracle on Ice" in 2002. London had 7 young athletes instead of a single male or female Olympic champion like Redgrave or Holmes. 

2 hours ago, BigVic said:

I can see a male and female Olympian lighting the cauldron for the frist time ever. Or the Tokyo 2020 (2021) Men's Volleyball team. The last team to light a cauldron was the "Miracle on Ice" in 2002. London had 7 young athletes instead of a single male or female Olympic champion like Redgrave or Holmes. 

A whole "team" lighting is too messy.  Besides, I think COJO 2024 wants to maintain a "feminine" slant for these Games.  So, they will try to get a female lighter in there somehow.  I think that Clarisse Agbegenou is a leading candidate.  She ticks off all the boxes but, with Mbappe and Ngapeth, they will also need a white face there somehow.  ;)  Maybe a Coubertin descendant?  

6 hours ago, fusilli said:

A (young)lady athlete, possibly with some "outre-mer" roots would fit quite nice.

But since they're going to spread it all over the city, there would be also plenty of room for a combo/ multi option. B)

No; but the Torch relay is NOT spread out.  Only one trajectory transpires, and yes, they can pass it around 100 pre-final lighters -- but the climax is WHO is the last one and LIGHTS the cauldron -- not all the pre-final lighters.  

^^well, given the extra space the all thing is going to cover (like slogan tells,  "Ouvrons grand les jeux" ) "wider" is the target for these Games. So, no artistic limits should be granted.

Besides, London was en ensemble with no specific finalist lighter and worked quite nice and original imho. B) 

4 hours ago, fusilli said:

Besides, London was en ensemble with no specific finalist lighter and worked quite nice and original imho. B) 

Yes, but those were only SEVEN unknowns.  Plus they had this HUGE cauldron to light up.  And they choreographed that really well so it looked clean.  It's going to be challenging to cover one or a cadre of lighters crossing that bridge from the Trockadero side to the Eiffel Tower side.  Or however they are going to do it -- if they will use a laser to connect a small cauldron on the Ceremony side and then zap it across the Seine to the main cauldron Eiffel side.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...